[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The new trilogy will never have a scene that equals this in emotion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 21
File: image.gif (962 KB, 500x213) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
962 KB, 500x213
The new trilogy will never have a scene that equals this in emotion and heartbreak. It is hard to invest emotionally in the silly new characters.
>>
The only thing heartbreaking was how hard Ewan was trying carry that movie.
>>
not sure if bait but it's actually a great scene. My young self was so hyped seeing this little slice of kino

Episode 3 is based idc what you say about the prequels
>>
>>67916357
So is the "prequels are underrated, originals are overrated" meme going to kick in to high gear again now that TFA is out on blu-ray or whatever?

I welcome it, honestly. Some of the threads contained hilarious pottery. And maybe there will be less threads of childish capeshit company wars, filled with autists baiting each other
>>
>>67916394
No not bait. ROTS is legitimately in the discussion for best SW of all time. It was full of kino
>The Im so sorry scene between Padme and ObiWan
>The scene i started this thread with
>That silent scene where Anakin was crying and watching Padme
>>
>>67916440
I would say the originals overall are definitely better than prequels. But ROTS is my favorite of the 7
>>
>>67916547
>It was full of kino

And dropped

End yourself dumb kino poster
>>
Episode three was great. Too bad the other two were fucking garbage.

This trilogy already has a decent start that it will build off of. TFA is how you start a trilogy. Not TFM. That shit was utter boredom and completely forgettable.
>>
ep III was great when I was a kid.
I don't have many memories of going to the theater back then but I will never forget that opening flight scene. Ewan is forever endeared to me.

I agree that Ep 7, no matter how much better thought-out, totally lacks the same emotional impact
>>
>>67916735
TFA is trash that makes the entire OT narratively pointless.

On its own its okay, but as a follow-up to ROTJ it is awful
>>
i shit u not my upstairs neighbor is watching this now after I posted ITT

jacob u in here or wot m8
>>
>>67916357
I rate this and TFA the same, but ROTS is much more rewatchable
>>
>>67916357
I'm afraid you'll have to go back to tumblr, and take your shitty gif with you.
>>
>you were my brother Anakin, I loved you!
>Too bad we share a grand total of maybe five scenes together throughout this entire trilogy and most of them we spent bitching at each other
>but thankfully since I'm all teary eyed now and telling you I loved you that makes this scene tragic!

You're all fucking retards
>>
>>67917048
TFA revealed
>Han and Leia broke up
>The Jedi never returned
>Empire rose again as First Order
>Leia never became a Force-user

Basically the whole victory at the end of ROTJ became moot with this silly movie. This trilogy should have been about the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion. Disney have no balls and simply rehashed ANH.
>>
I genuinely hate all of you.
>thinking TFA is worse than the prequels
>thinking TFA is worse than even fucking TPM

god damn you all are idiots.
>>
>>67917288
shut up it sucked
>>
>>67917137
yea
>>
>>67916735
Not even.
TPM > TFA.

The emotional highs brought out by TPM far outstrip the hamfisted writing of TFA.
>but lucas is a hack you shitposter
So is Abrams. That's why TFA isn't top 5 star wars films.
>>
>>67917246
>MUH EU

is not a valid criticism of TFA. I'm sorry the books you read in middle school no longer "count" in a fictional universe
>>
>>67917316
No you dumb cunt. TFA is the best star wars movie in the last 30 years. It's incredibly good for what it is, and so what if it borrows from ANH heavily? It's updating an ancient film for a new generation of movie-goers.
That's a far cry better than the cluster fuck that was TPM ever did.

>jar jar
Need I say more? TFA didn't even come close to that abomination.
>>
>>67917361
TPM was your first Star Wars movie wasn't it?
>>
>>67917228
five scenes? You are literally autistic
>The scene during Qui Gonn's funeral where Anakin as a child is in shock over a Jedi dying, and Obi Wan vowing to make him a Jedi
>Literally going to life-or-death battles together against Dooku twice
>The drama with the Jedi Council not trusting Anakin
>Literally almost all of episode 2 together protecting Padme then the Geonosis battle
>ObiWan being in shock before this scene that Anakin killed younglings

If youre going to post stupid bait , at least let it be an intelligent stupid bait
>>
>>67917228
they had to literally spell out that they were friends
>opening scene
>haha remember that time with the gumbazubs and we nearly died!
>we are truly great friends
>okay back to not actually acting like friends

exactly why the final fight had NO emotional weight to it, their relationship felt cold and fake
>>
>>67917361
>The emotional highs
lol is this guy serious
>>
sage

bait not even worth entertaining
>>
>>67917401
lol this is why everyone hates modern star wars fans, enjoy your fat chink in the next one

TFA IS TRASH
>>
>>67917413
I started with ANH, the way it was meant to be watched.
I tried going back and watching the rest of star wars but good god is TPM horrible. I can't understand how the rest of the prequels even got made.
Going back to the good parts like TFA did was the only way to continue the franchise and bury the mistake that was TPM.
>>
Unpopular opinion:

Revenge of the Sith is the worst film in the entire series. So much awful shit, bad special effects, terrible and unbelievable character development, etc. I fucking hate this movie.
>>
>>67917472
Tran is cute. Fuck off.
>TFA is trash
Wow. What incredible criticism. Do you think the prequels are also good?
If so, it's because you can't think for shit, which is probably why you didn't understand a thinking man's movie like TFA. Clueless kids like you probably didn't even catch all the references to ANH getting thrown around, which is an amazing testament to the power of a film made almost 50 years ago.
>>
>>67916357
I am very against the retarded /tv/ idea that TFA sucks, but I actually completely agree with this.
>>
>>67916391

He did all he could
>>
>>67917437
I'm exaggerating a little bit but they spend most of all 3 movies apart from each other

>Obi-Wan spends the entire time on Tatooine on the ship
>Obi-Wan and Anakin go on separate quests in AotC after the car chase and don't reunite until the climax
>Obi-Wan and Anakin again are on separate quests in episode III after the initial battle and don't reunite until the climax

we have to be told they're friends in an elevator in episode II, otherwise they spend a good deal of the original trilogy apart and it's usually bitching at each other, even when they're not together

>IT'S ALL OBI-WAN'S FAULT
>HE NEVER LISTENS, HE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND
>THE BOY IS DANGEROUS
>DON'T DO ANYTHING WITHOUT CONSULTING MYSELF OR THE COUNCIL
>>
TFA wasn't a good movie.
>>
>>67917288
Hollywood Jew hack Abrams can arrange cameras and get the SFX guys to make explosions make overeager bix nood and dour tumblr pixie girl tolerable to normie burgerfat audiences, but you're a retard if you think that gives the film any depth.
There were some germs of possible depth there, but it was all ruined because Abrams wanted to devote more time to shitty explosions with his Marty Sue pilot and ham-fisted Nazi deathstar analogies, and "appeal to young audiences" with bix nood and Mary Sue.

>>67917401
>It's updating an ancient film for a new generation of movie-goers.

If you think this is a legitimate concept you are a fucking pleb of the highest order and there is nothing we can do for your terminal cancer except euthanise you.
>>
>>67917440
>>haha remember that time with the gumbazubs and we nearly died!
I sternly said "I don't remember that." at the TV and my family gave me the weirdest glare
>>
File: obiwan.jpg (33 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
obiwan.jpg
33 KB, 1280x720
>>67916357

IF I PULL THAT OFF WILL YOU DIE?
>>
>>67917437
>The drama with the Jedi Council not trusting Anakin
literally pointless since there's surprisingly little conflict between the jedi council and anakin besides a literal handful of passive-aggressive verbal disputes.
i think you have autism too.

>Literally almost all of episode 2 together protecting Padme
seriously? there are teen sitcoms that offer more poignancy than episode 2.

>Literally going to life-or-death battles together against Dooku twice
i literally forgot that anakin and obi wan battle dooku on episode 2 years after watching it. extremely forgettable and boring.
>>
>>67917586
I tried reading your post, but the first sentence had way too many memes in it, so I stopped.
Are you even okay anon? Is this what liking the prequels does to a man?
All you can do is spit memes at me instead of making an argument like I did in my original post.
>>
>>67917246

>Yuuzhan Vong

Jesus fucking CHRIST no.

It needed to be something original, and if it wasn't going to be that, Thrawn trilogy was the only other choice.

YV. Jesus.
>>
TFA should have been about the empire remnants being nutjob terrorists and the republic being back in full power. As it stands now I have no idea how strong the New Republic is and my guess is that it was destroyed by the Death Star 3.
>>
>>67917594
They were on an elevator, right? I'm pretty sure in the RLM videos on the movies they point this out as well. Why did they think that they could just shoehorn character development and a growing relationship among master and apprentice between the movies, and then what they show us is that they look like they hate each other
>>
>>67917663
This, basically.
We could have had Thrawn.
Instead we got TFA.

RIP star wars.
TFA was supposed to bring balance after the prequels, not join them.
>>
>>67917288

Even your digits can't meme magic TFA to be a better movie.

It was a soulless cash grab with a copy+paste plot and incredibly weak characters.
>>
>>67916357
All meme b8 aside, I don't think so. TFA set up a pretty emotional situation with Kylo Ren killing his father in a bid to strengthen himself and failing miserably (along with his general anxieties about himself). I think if you're looking for emotion and heartbreak that's where it's going to be. I actually think Driver did a very good, subtle job with the murder scene.

The truly heartbreaking thing is how badly Ewan was wasted in those movies though.
>>
>>67917437
All they did was mention the fun things they did together off screen, yet every moment they're actually on screen, they can't stand each other. Their relationship was completely flat, void of any chemistry, and a victim of "tell, don't show".
>>
>>67916357
That scene was hilarious
RRRRRRIHATECHUUUU
I literally can't stop laughing every time I see it.
>>
>>67917709
Aside from maRey Sue, TFA had far better acting than anything in the prequels.
>muh kenobi
Ewan was working off a model left for him by Guinness. That's not acting, that's following the script of another, better, actor.
>>
>>67917554
but they can't show 15 years of developing friendship so they just throw in a remark about how they did a lot of things together

the banter doesn't mean they're not friends, the "i save your life all the time" is obviously just a friendly poke. "HE NEVER LISTENS OR UNDERSTANDS" was after he anaking went crazy.
>>
>>67917740
There was barely any emotional impact from Han's death. Leia hugged fucking Rey instead of Chewie. Meanwhile the scene where Obi-wan leaves Anakin for dead is genuinely heartbreaking and has actually memorable music.
>>
>>67917361
Fuck off and die.
>>
>>67917799
Clearly the Leia thing was stupid but re-read, I was talking about Kylo.
>>
>>67917807
Great response TFAggot.
>>
>>67917361
Eh.
I know you're memeing but Padme really was a better character than Rey, which says something about the quality of TFA.
>>
>>67917544
It didn't help that half his dialogue was one-liners.
>>
>>67917870
Describe Padme without citing her looks or profession. Describe her to someone like they've never seen Star Wars before. Now do that with Rey.
>>
>>67917740
Are you kidding? Han's death was terrible, you could tell it was only put in there because Ford wanted it. The interaction between Luke and Vader in ROTJ was far more touching and poignant than that shit.
>>
>>67917833
It's the only proper response to
>emotional highs brought out by TPM
>>
>ewan and mcdiarmond being enthusiastic are the only things saving the prequels
>finn and poe being enthusiastic are the only things saving TFA

pottery
>>
>>67917870
At least some people didn't treat panda as being totally perfect, chiefly Qui-gon
>>
>>67917870
Padme was wooden and two dimensional as fuck, even Portman admits it was terrible and nearly tanked her career

fuck off memer
>>
>>67917870
>Padme really was a better character than Rey
No. Padme wasn't even a character in the trilogy. She finally got some in The Clone Wars.
>>
>>67917799
>Meanwhile the scene where Obi-wan leaves Anakin for dead is genuinely heartbreaking
lol. even when i watched as a kid, i didn't know how to react to that scene. Especially considering that it's immediately preceded by I'VE GOT THE HIGH GROUND which given the gargantuan scale of the battle, it felt like a sad self-parody and not satisfied, it's also followed by the infamous NOOOOOO which is just as bonkers and completely out-of-sync with the supposedly poignant tone.

It's just a mess.
>>
>>67917912
young girl with a motherly affection for her people beyond her age.
motivated to find a fix for trouble coming to her people

>rey
scrappy youngster who hears tales from offworld and wants to leave, but has no way or plan to do so
ends up caring about whoever luke skywalker is, possibly through rumors, and decides this will be her mission in life
attempts to do so, only to find that everyone is interested in her for some reason and spends the movie running from them
>>
>>67916357

I legitimately cry when I watch that scene. I dread to think how fucking brilliant it could have been if everything building up to it (not just 'the high ground' ham but the preceding 3 movies) wasn't so fucking retarded.

It would probably be the single greatest scene of all time if the other movies were competent and had properly built Anakin and Kenobis relationship rather than making me do it myself.

Fuck you Lucas. Thanks, but fuck you.
>>
>>67917228
>>67917440
Surely Star Wars would never make that mistake again, right?

Give two characters a relationship and connection that they hadn't built up for one overdramatic scene.

They'd never do that again. Nope. And surely, in doing so if they did do so, they wouldn't trample on the real relationships that that character had. Definitely not.

FUCK YOU REY, YOU FUCKING "UNIVERSE REVOLVES AROUND ME" CUNT

I still liked the movie, but Rey has to be one of the worst main characters in the series. Anakin was annoying and whiny, but, as a character, Rey's up there just for the lack of self control they exerted when creating her.
>>
>>67916357
>unironically loved all the prequels and defended every aspect of them (aside from jar jar)
>hated TFA because of the ep 4 rehash and maRey sue, AND because of how it sort of shits on luke's legacy and makes him an obi wan clone
>now half of /tv/ has jumped on the defending the prequels bandwagon and the other half pretends TFA was the most amazing movie of all time

kindof annoying, but whatever
5 > 4 = 3 > 6 > 2 = 1 >>>>> holiday special >>>>>> 7
>>
>>67917870
they're both shitty characters.
Padme mercifully was not one of the leads.
>>
>>67917912
Padme, uh...is in love with Anakin? And is, uh, fine with marrying a fascist and murderer? And was so empty as a person that she was willing to die after birth because "I can't live without muh Anakin".

God, she was shit.
>>
>>67918027
>young girl with a motherly affection for her people beyond her age.
so motherly she wants to bang anakin lol
>>
>>67918046
sounds like you actually enjoy TFA but pretend you don't so you can pretend to be a prequelbaby and make them look bad.

Fuck off.
Both are shit, but TFA is arguable worse at the moment because people haven't accepted that it's just as bad as the prequels.
This will fad in time and we can simply say "the prequels and TFA were both shit" without stirring up the memers and shitposters.
>>
>>67918044
she was just way too good at EVERYTHING

but what relationship are you talking about here? because from my point of view, for the overdramatic not-built-up scene, you could be talking about a) kylo and han, b) rey and kylo, c) rey and leia (why the fuck did they act so close at the end)
>>
>>67918122
>it's just as bad as the prequels.
It isn't anywhere near as bad as any of prequel films.
>>
Whatever shred of emotional credibility RotS earned was completely destroyed by this bullshit here.
>>
When C-3PO said "kept you waiting, huh?" to Han Solo, I instantly dropped TFA. At least the PT had no kojima references.
>>
people don't actually dislike the prequels. they're just made to think they should
>>
>>67918237
This, tbqh sunbae.
>>
>>67916357
>The new trilogy
You posted it.
>>
>>67918237
Sure they are, George.
>>
The thing about TFA is that there's real chemistry between the leads.
One of the things that sticked with me the most was the part when Rey tilts the millenium falcon 90 degrees so Finn could shoot the Tie Fighter. I thought it was hugely overblown, as is typical of fucking JJ Abrams, but the following scene, when they celebrated by hugging each other felt so genuine, I couldn't help but feel fuzzy in my stomach.

Meanwhile practically every interaction on the prequels was stilted, rigid and awkward. Georgey boy is not good at human interaction, I'm afraid.
>>
>>67918140
Rey and Han

Out of no where, they get a father/daughter relationship from nothing. There's a very, very slight hint towards one, and that's it.

Not only her character, but they tried to do too much with the entire movie. None of the new main characters felt like they set in. If one of the new characters died at the start of the next movie, fans wouldn't care. It was still enjoyable, but it wasn't really good.
>>
>>67918046
perfect ranking except 2>>>1
>>
>>67916357
Tbf that scene was more emotional than anything in the ot.
>>
>>67918233
what the fuck is a kojima reference
>>
>>67918220
No, its worse. Because despite all the shit they have, the OT's events fixed it.

TFA however undoes everything the OT built
>>
>>67918046
Terrible.
>>
>>67918220
See, this is what I'm talking about.
TFA was just a flat movie. Nothing really notable happens through the entire thing.
It's a 6/10 at best simply because nothing happens, but nothing bad happens therefore, and it is well-produced.
The prequels meanwhile, fluctuate between having genuinely great scenes and abysmal ones. A solid half of AoTC was wasted on Anakin being moody, while more or less everything Kenobi did was solid. If we call Anakin's arc a 2/10 and kenobi's a 7/10, we can average about 3 or 4/10, at best.
TFA with 6/10 versus AoTC at 3.5/10 is okay, but if we throw TFA against the best of the prequels (RotS) it ends up pretty close. RotS certainly had better scenes than TFA, it just had some middling issues carried over from AoTC.
Hilariously, even though lucas is terrible at dialogue (by his own admission), TFA manages to do no better than he did.
We still these ropey lines going around that the original trilogy managed to work out.

The main issue is that TFA took no risks. The originals all had their share of risks, and the prequels took one or two. TFA doesn't. It's flat through and through.

That's why I say TFA and the prequels were both bad. They failed the capture the magic of the originals, but the prequels at least had the dignity to try something new.
>pottery
Don't meme at me. The prequels had new content. A far amount of it just wasn't good.
>>
>>67918389
not really, rey is just a mechanical genius because her entire existence depends upon it so she knows her way around han's ship. makes them finish each other's sentences and that creates a bond.

that she's so disturbed by his death, well maybe she just doesn't like that people die. i know that sounds weird but it's called empathy and it's actually a real thing.
>>
The OT was the definition of lightening in a bottle. Right people, right project, right time.

They never knew or assumed that it would become so fucking loved.

No prequel or sequel will ever be able to recapture that.
>>
>>67918446
JJ Abrams gave c3po a red arm due to a character in Metal Gear Solid which is created by Hideo Kojima.
>>
It's telling that TFA is a bad movie if the fans think that it's a good movie so long as it's better than TPM.

They're both shit.
5 > 4 > 6 > 3 > 7 = 1 > 2
>>
>>67918489
6/10 isn't bad it's mediocre which is what this film is. only got rave reviews because the lead is a woman and it prominently features a black dude.
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 655x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 655x400
>>67916357
The ending doesn't work because you can't find Peripety and anagnorisis in watching your student kill children on a video screen.

What if Padme had discovered Anakin's betrayal and had come to the conclusion that she was greatly deceived, or that she was in some way responsible for Anakin's downfall? The marital plot was more interesting than the mentor plot.
>>
>>67918738
fuck off /pol/
TFA got bad reviews because of those two things. It's not the actor's fault they were trying to make a good movie but the reviewers hated them for existing.
>>
>tfw no topless teen centauresses
Why live?
>>
File: 1437885860123.jpg (414 KB, 1920x820) Image search: [Google]
1437885860123.jpg
414 KB, 1920x820
>>67918489
>TFA was afraid of taking risks
This is entirely true. The prequels may have had some dumb things in them, but things like the sheev spin are at least memorable enough to laugh about. Same for Kit Fisto for existing.
Even AoTC had the great fight scene on Kamino, and the fight in the asteroid field was memorable, if gimmicky.
>those noises from the mines
>those sound effects in general
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ME5jhsgmB4

TFA had nothing. It sounds like they even changed the noise from the TIE fighters and toned down the awful noise they made. RIP propulsion via wilhelm scream.
>>
File: image.jpg (251 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
251 KB, 1440x1080
>>67918880
>you will never play the panflute for this honey while she gets drunk on ambrosia
Why give?
>>
>>67918779
It's a case of diversifying in order to review-proof a flick

These movies are supposed to be high histories not the misadventures of an intergalactic janitor.
>>
>>67918953
Was the original propulsion sound actually the Wilhelm scream modified or are you memeing me?
>>
>>67916357
why is episode 3 so unintentionally enjoyable?
>>
>>67918953
Oh but they did try taking risks. Kylo's crucifix sabre for one. It just ended up laughable in a no-fun way, unlike dooku's neat but irrelevant curved sabre. Even Maul could make an appearance even if the design was actually shit.

also,
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq_2nK5KUAo
>lucas wanted vader to be a pathetic figure
>he didn't like how vader dominated ANH and wanted the prequels to make him a truly pathetic being
>he failed at even that
>now Abrams is trying and succeeding
Too bad the idea is dogshit.
>muh sympathetic villains who dindu
>>
>>67916357
I don't doubt it. TFA had nothing really. The fact that so many people leeched onto Poe, a dude who had like barely any screen time, tells you a lot about how much they cared for the rest of those shits. Heck I barely cared for the older cast because they were so shit in it.
>>
>>67917554
dude, anakin is literally the only reason why they re-united in the first place. he was willing to abandon protecting his love to protect his bro.

I think that's pretty good friendship if you ask me.
>>
>>67919098
>he didn't like how vader dominated ANH and wanted the prequels to make him a truly pathetic being

That's a fucking lie, he made Vader space jesus and the most important character in the entire universe because he was the face of the marketing
>>
>>67919067
There was a rumor around that the TIE noise as a modifed wilhelm scream. I though it was true but you got me to look it up.

It's a car moving over wet pavement mixed with an elephant. I'm actually disappointed myself now.

http://usoproject.blogspot.com/2011/02/ben-burtt-about-genesis-of-tie-fighter.html
>>
>>67918237
its a meme to blindly hate the prequels.
>>
>>67918489
I personally think it's easier to mentally block out the shit of 1-3 than it is to fabricate good into 7, but that's just me.
>>
>>67919178
It's in the video I linked dude. Lucas says it himself.
I'm looking for the time now, but it's either in this one or another one of these behind the scenes videos that focuses on anakin as the chosen one.
>>
>>67916735
It's phantom not fantom
>>
>"Twice the Pride double, the fall"

>Anakin's pride was what convinced him to jump up to the high ground
>As a result he not only falls down the hill, but also falls from grace, he doubled the fall
>>
Shoulda been about Jacen and Jaina, but they opted to have some fags and 28 more death stars and tatooines. The only good thing about this whole thing is that we don't have to accept luke skywalker into our hearts as space jesus.
>>
>>67917663
>Thrawn trilogy was the only other choice.

You mean KOTOR/SWTOR is the only other choice.
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 640x275) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 640x275
>>67919082
It's a world which is austere and courtly, managing to evoke a world of social tact and reserve which throws teenagers like Anakin in high relief. The rigours of each council, code, or organization have a mass of barriers that force each character to improvise in order to work around them. It's like playing chess in slow-motion while Times Square looms in the background.

It is lush and contains compositions of real depth and architectural beauty, managing to create a sense of power at the periphery (think Branagh's Hamlet, or The West Wing). It exudes atmosphere even when it doesn't make full use of it.

Yet it also contains a fair amount of slapstick, platforming, and fight scenes.
>>
>>67919540
>some dumb ass is going to spit "pottery" at this instead of understanding what allusions are
>>
>>67916357
The Batman vs Superman fight scene should have been like this!
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 590x369) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 590x369
>>
>>67919628
WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME
>>
>>67919654

SAY MY NAME
>>
>>67919178
here it is
https://youtu.be/UqLsQClut5c?t=2m34s
I had the video wrong, like I thought.

>darth vader became such an icon in the first film -- episode 4 -- that that icon of evil sort of took over everything, much more than I intended.
>if it had been one movie it wouldn't have happened.
>he would have been revealed to have been this pathetic character

in other words, kylo ren is what lucas wanted vader to be.
>>
>>67916357
TFA had more emotion when Kylo Ren kills his dad.

I know we're supposed to be edgy contrarians hating on everything popular and acting like pieces of shit like the prequels are some how underrated gems now that the new trilogy is being made, but you faggots are trying way too hard.
>>
>>67917475
A New Hope wasn't called A New Hope at first. You've been caught red handed, now what?
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 1000x563
Anakin basically ditched his mom and stole her droid in order to give it to this stuck-up Princess
>>
>>67919709
Han's death had less emotion in it than Old Ben's.
Han's characterization was all done in previous films. He wasn't touched at all in this one, except as an old man who had somehow never fired a bowcaster before despite working with chewie for years.
>>
>>67919709
tfa felt like the amazing spiderman to me, in that if you were to make a cookie cutter movie of a certain genre that would be this movie. Episode 3 with it's flaws at least had a life to it.
>>
File: 1459700014825.jpg (576 KB, 1998x3000) Image search: [Google]
1459700014825.jpg
576 KB, 1998x3000
>>67919752
I'd leave it all behind, too.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 297x229) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 297x229
all the new SW films are trash and anyone who genuinely likes them needs a better education
>>
File: 1433781296855.jpg (141 KB, 1582x1526) Image search: [Google]
1433781296855.jpg
141 KB, 1582x1526
>This whole thread
>This whole board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxo0pSNYMXE
>>
>>67919709
why would anyone care about that scene. han felt like a zombie brought back just to tell us, the jedi were real, did you already forget about the original trilogy!? also kylo ren was a gigantic faggot.
>>
>>67919767
that's a very good point.
Even though Spiderman 3 was terrible, American flag pottery and all, it still had more of a soul than the Amazing Spidermans we've had.

3 and AS one and two were both ass.
>>
>>67919779
She could very well be the most attractive person to ever exist
>>
File: image.jpg (285 KB, 952x619) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
285 KB, 952x619
>>67919779
Yeah, but Padme's death is comparatively cosy when compared to Shmi's.
>>
>>67919803
>>67919823
>trying to shutdown discussion on a discussion board

here's your (you)
>>
>>67919823
That's just /tv/ in general.
>>
>>67919823
>family guy
end yourself
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 852x480
>she's still warm
one last go before she rots?
>>
>>67919847
If I died when I lost my will to live I would have been dead years ago
>>
>>67919913
How did you think Rey Kenobi came into being?
>>
File: 8463662063_079b09a037_b.jpg (479 KB, 1200x1500) Image search: [Google]
8463662063_079b09a037_b.jpg
479 KB, 1200x1500
>>67919841
I've seriously thought that before.

>>67919847
Have you watched Dash Star's video on her death?
Autism in video form, no doubt.
He poses an interesting theory, though.
>>
>>67919758
>His death had less emotion than Old Ben's
Old Bend died because he wanted to die.
Han was trying to bring back his kid and just when he thought we would be able to help him, his long lost son sticks a light saber through him and the last thing he does before falling to the abyss was to caress his boy's face for the last time.

>Not emotional
Yes like I said, you're all trying too hard.
>>
>>67919847
Obi Wan was a good friend.
>>
>>67919913
idk, her vagoo is probably seriously rekt after shitting out twins
>>
>>67919709
It's hard to take a death seriously when the rest of the movie is light-hearted joking.
See: Quicksilver dying in Avengers 2.

They try to make it all important, but no one cares because they didn't come to see anything serious.
>>
>>67919985
bet you didn't see that atrocity.
>>
>>67919985
>the rest of the movie is light-hearted joking.

There's not a single joke mad in the movie after Han dies. So you're talking out of your ass.

Age of ultron was ass though.
>>
>>67916357
damn you are right
>>
>>67920038
>not a single joke made
what about the fucking helicopter shot?
>>
>>67917554
>not remembering that time Anakin saved Obi-Wan from that pit on geonosis
>>
File: 1440036574810.jpg (35 KB, 569x549) Image search: [Google]
1440036574810.jpg
35 KB, 569x549
>>67916357
The only thing heartbreaking is how we have to be TOLD they were "brothers" when the previous two films absolutely failed to build their relationship:

Ep1: Obiwan regards Anakin as an annoyance who doesn't even want him trained and tries to talk quigon out of doing it.

Ep2: TEN YEAR TIME GAP. We have to be TOLD they had adventures together "lol anakin remember that time with the gundak nest lol" and then they LITERALLY bicker and argue the entire movie.

Ep3: another time gap of 3-5 years, we miss AN ENTIRE WAR and only NOW do they start acting like friends. Nah, that scene is bullshit and unearned op. The pt is awful and the st will set sw back on track.
>>
>>67920009
Avengers 2? I sure did. I make sure to see all my capekino just to shitpost on /tv/ about it.
I honestly though the scene with the gun dealers on the boat was neat. It's just a shame it derailed into the needless hulk fight that existed only as trailer fodder. I can keep going if you still don't think I saw it, in theaters and everything.
>>67920038
The last 15 minutes aren't going to change the previous 160, and the rest of the move certainly was light-hearted joking.
Remember BB's lighter and Finn's employment history?
>>
>>67920076
Ok, so we're not being serious at all now.

yeah that shot was terrible
>>
>>67916357
It would be more emotional if the stupid dialogue was fixed

>This scene is sad and the only way to convey that is by having Obi Wan tell the audience they were brothers because remember they were friends, lets throw in a I love you just for good measure.
>>
>>67920107
>he didn't get the play on the line quipsilver says before he dies
I don't you DID see it.
>>
>>67920107
By your logic, any movie that wants to have an emotional scene should not have light hearted jokes anywhere else because then the whole movie is light hearted and an emotional scene wouldn't fit.

Nope. Try again.
>>
>>67917048
Rotj is awful as a follow up to the movies in its own fucking trilogy. Two deathstars in the same trilogy which undermines the rebel victory in ep4. Jesus george was a hack even back then.

Atleast tfa functions as a competent reboot. What's ep6's excuse for rehashing?
>>
>>67917228
Come on. We're led to believe Obi wan is instrumental in anakin's upbringing between tpm and aotc. Also, momentous battles fought together. Are you serious or baiting?
>>
>>67920113
Honestly ruined any possibility tfa had of being good.
>>
>>67917246
See
>>67920211
Ep6 invalidates ep4, so fuck off.
>>
Don't worry, JewJew Abrams is gone. Maybe now we can have a movie we can actually become emotionally invested in.
>>
>>67917799
First movie vs third movie, stupid fucker. Wait for the characters to be set up.

Except Rey, she's a lost fucking cause.
>>
File: 1443628723419.gif (2 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
1443628723419.gif
2 MB, 448x252
>This
Throughout the movie, we're to understand that Kylo Ren, even when in the dark side, is a conflicted character. There is still good in him and he knows it and he's trying his best to stomp out the light and give himself entirely to the dark. In his final reunion with his father, he, almost tearfully, tells him about his inner torment and asks for his father's help. Just as he is seemingly willing to make amends and come back to his family he succumbs to his inner demons and kills his father hoping that that will truly and finally deliver him to the dark side.

is supposed to be worse than

>U WERE MUH BROTHER ANAKIN, I LOVED U
>I HAAAAAAAAATE UUUUU!!!

wait till episodes X, XI,and XII are made. /tv/ (if it stll exists) will begin saying how underrated VII, VIII and IX are.
>>
File: image.jpg (161 KB, 1280x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
161 KB, 1280x540
>>67920178
When Irvin Kershner spoke about pursuing humour instead of gags, he meant that he could have the characters insult each other, or speak ironically to get a laugh, and also that he couldn't fall back on sight gags or quips.
>>
>>67920178
Nah, Predator was able to pull it off. It's that the quips can't break the mood. The two black guys joked at each other trying to ease their nerves before getting killed, if I'm remembering right.
Meantime that scene with JB-007 was light as all get out. What's the point of having something dark like Kylo's mind-interrogation only to decide moments after that the mood is too dark?
I can't remember any of the specific jokes they make aside from Finn's employment history and whatever they said about Rey "having the situation under control" when they see her climbing, but I remember the pilots whooping and hollering when they strike whatever the replacement for the vent shaft was. I know that bit was after they started setting off charges to bring the shields down, meaning they were in the room where Han died.

It's just that there was no build up. it's just 'boom, han is dead, feel bad', when everything was great moments before, and had been great for almost the entire movie.
It would be like pirates of the Caribbean trying to make anyone care about a character death -- the whole series is a joke and it doesn't matter.
>>
Wait for episode 10 bros. You'll see you were all wrong about TFA even though you liked nothing TFA to begin with.
>>
>>67920507
that's like saying we'd like TPM more after RoTS released.Sure, RoTS was better, but that doesn't make TPM good.

You can't save a movie with its sequels. All you can do is save the legacy, and even then only partially.
>>
>old thread dead
>check the catalog
>new star wars shitposting thread up

incredible.
it's like the shitposters can't win in one thread so they move to another trying to escape everyone making rational counter arguments they can't refute.

anyway, this is /vg/ now, so migrate
>>67916627
>>67916627
>>67916627
>>
File: BREAKING NEWS.webm (2 MB, 460x248) Image search: [Google]
BREAKING NEWS.webm
2 MB, 460x248
>>67920113
Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.