[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didnt Dan Aykroyd's career took off? Why didnt he established
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 1.jpg (21 KB, 375x281) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
21 KB, 375x281
Why didnt Dan Aykroyd's career took off? Why didnt he established himself in hollywood? He was great in SNL, he created and starred in two iconic movies like Blues Brothers and Ghostbusters, and he did some other good flicks like Driving Miss Daisy or Trading Places, but he's a literally who now.
>>
>>67828135
I know right? Very underrated comedian, arguably better than Bill Murray.
You forgot Grosse Point Blank, though.
POPCORN!
>>
Blues Brothers 2000
>>
He only made Ghostbusters so he could earn enough money to hunt ghosts in real life.
>>
Akroyd doesn't play the game like Murray can.

He's a funny comedian and a good actor but he doesn't have Bill's talent for schmoozing and self-promotion.

While Bill will photobomb weddings, Dan would rather hang out in his bunker and talk about ayy lmaos.
>>
>>67828135

You're coming at this from the perspective of a sub-25 year old who is catching on and thinks he's made a big important observation that X hasn't been in any really great movies for maybe a decade or so. Meanwhile, cursory searching of the actor box on IMDB shows that Aykroyd has never really stopped working, even if he's been spending a lot more time milking the GB and BB properties. Meanwhile, all baby boomers, gen Xers and the older half of the millenial set know Aykroyd well. Aykroyd launched and has had a decent run, you just didn't notice because you were busy sucking mummy's teat.

Aykroyd is an actor who has been in blockbusters, weird side projects, and some duds, typically inhabiting certain types of roles (verbose, nerd, sometimes bureaucrat, sometimes rebel) and, who bases his career in large part on his successes, returning to them. In other words: a completely normal actor, by Hollywood A-B-C list standards.

Also I'm sure he's done drugs, but to his credit I've never heard of him killing anyone or getting caught with cp or career-torpedoing things like that. And because I'm not aware of a scandal OTTOMH, you're not, and so you think he's "invisible".

Now watch Aykroyd laying down a sweet organ lick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocS2GFICJoY
>>
>>67828425
I dont really think it was that bad, but his career was already dead by 1998.

>>67828342
Yeah, Sneakers is ok too, he's been in quite a few fun movies.
He's more talented than Murray, and well I love BB, but Belushi was actually mediocre, yet they received much more recognition than Dan.
>>
>>67828606
OP utterly BTFO
>>
>>67828606
Aykroyd's too busy being a doomsday prepper to be involved in anything scandalous (no seriously, he has a filly stocked fallout shelter under his house in Vermont, it's where they wrote Ghostbusters).

The only other smudges on his career are his crappy novelty vodka and his knock-off Unsolved Mysteries show.

Also

>Jane, you ignorant slut
>>
he's literally autistic. i doubt he wanted his career to go much further. far too much anxiety
>>
>>67828606
>older half of the millenial set know Aykroyd
Gen Y here 25 grew up with Ackroyd.
>>
>>67828606
Really appreciate your post, I really do.

I am sub-25 and I get what you're saying, I know he still gets bit parts, Im a huge, huge fan and Ive watched almost everything he's done. But what was his last "big" part in a movie? I know hes busy with the crystal head vodka company, but like some other anon said, I think he doesnt know how to be relevant and that has taken its toll. He's a fine writer but I think nothing but trouble was the last thing he wrote (classic scene that one you posted, it took me months to find one dvd copy of that film in my country).

I dont really know if hes well known in Hollywood nowadays but he isnt here, and I dont understand why. I wrote a fan letter to him years ago, but never got an answer. I did manage to online chat with him a little bit, it was a blues bros tribute band, think it was a tribute to John Belushi, and I paid a few euros to watch it because both him and Landis would be chatting with the fans. Great night I had.
>>
>>67828606
Brutal
Also, Doctor Detroit is GOAT.
>>
>>67829002
He's kind of intentional outsider when it comes to Hollywood, from what I've gathered. He's a bit of an introvert and needs a lot of time away from people to recharge. Hence why he lives in rural Vermont and not Los Angeles or New York.
>>
Blues Brothers 2000 effectively decapitated both Dan Aykroyd & John Landis' mainstream film careers.
>>
>>67829002

Sounds like you're possibly the OP, either way you've got an Aykroyd fetish.

I can think of ONE scandal-thing that Aykroyd was close to, but really had no involvement in. He was in this opening teaser for the Twilight zone movie, a collection of horror vignettes in the tradition of Creepshow, Trilogy of Terror, Simpsons Halloween specials etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngvbQoJ5Mzo

During John Landis' (Blues Brothers) -directed segment, there were tragic deaths on set involving a helicopter.
>>
>>67829435
Yes, Im the OP, and yes, I have an Aykroyd fetish.
Im familiar with that (mainly because Max Landis is a meme here), but I doubt Dan was guilty of anything there.
>wanna see something scary?

>>67829199
Thats really cool, man. Got any more stories about him? I would love an Aykroyd biography. Wired was cool, but was focused on John.
>I will never drive from Chicago to Las Vegas with John and Dan
>>
Spoke about aliens and ghosts too much.
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 500x333
>>67828135
It's a shame that Aykroyd isn't recognized more for his creative genius, but as another anon said, he doesn't seem to want it. Or at least doesn't seem to work for it. Unlike Murray who's life goal is to be a walking meme and Hal Ramis who passed away just as a new class of comedians who were inspired by him came into power and didn't get the chance for recognition.
I really think John Landis deserves his due as one of the great comedic filmmakers of all time.
>Animal House
>Blues Brothers
>Trading Places
>Spies Like Us
>Three Amigos
>Coming to America

Literally some of the best American comedies of the past 40 years
>>
Man I loved watching PSI Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal.
>>
>>67828135

He has aspergers
>>
Aykroyd admitted during a radio interview with Terry Gross that he has both Tourette's and low-spectrum Asperger's.

He said the Tourette's has been successfully managed by therapy since he was young, but the Asperger's was harder to deal with because less was known about it at the time.

He was also briefly engaged to Carrie Fisher, who was struggling with bi-polar at the time.
>>
>>67828135
>he created and starred in two iconic movies like Blues Brothers and Ghostbusters

He created the basic concepts for both but as a writer he's a hot mess without someone else to adapt those ideas to filmable scripts. Ghostbusters went through like 5 revisions before Ramis came on board and reined in the stupider parts. If you want to see unfiltered Aykroid, watch Doctor Detroit. All the way through.

> DMD, TP
Remarkable character actor who was regrettably underused. Do remember that he was the actor Ed Solomon wrote Agent K for in MiB and Tommy Lee Jones knocked it out of the park. Aykroyd would have just done Joe Friday like he did in Dragnet. Remember Dragnet?

> literally who now
He built House of Blues which iirc is still around unlike Planet Hollywood, because he knew what HoB was supposed to mean. He has his own line of hard liquor and is still the figural godhead for actual Ghostbusters fans. He married a literal 10/10 in the 1980s and is still married to her.

Stop comparing who you think Dan ought to be with a guy who's generally done really well for himself for a kid from nowhere, Canada.
>>
>>67829073
>Doctor Detroit is GOAT
"I'm gonna rip off your head and shit down your throat" is not nearly as clever as it might have sounded to you as a kid.
>>
He did that one really weird fucked up movie with Chevy Chase, where he played an old judge. I think that ruined is career.
>>
>>67829841
Landis, like John Hughes, had a recognizable style which wasn't going to leave the 1990s intact because it hearkens back to Old Hollywood too much. It was a good time to stop making films for John even if the reason wasn't.

>Literally some of the best American comedies of the past 40 years

Trading Places and Coming to America should only ever be sold as a double-pack set. Ever.
>>
>>67831643
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_but_Trouble_(1991_film)

I can't imagine enjoying five minutes of this and I love everyone associated with it.
>>
I met him a couple of years ago when he was promoting his skull vodka at a big hotel where I helped set up the stage for his blues band. None of us really had any idea who we were setting the stage for, it was just business as usual.

He appeared out of nowhere and started chatting up some locals and poured some drinks. Then he noticed some us staring in awe. He smiled and shook everyone's hand in the room and just said "Hey I'm Dan, nice to meet you." Then went on to do a sound check and fucking killed it.

I'll never forget it. I met a Ghostbuster. Sweet guy.
>>
Going by some of his comments in one SNL book I read, he had a bunch of money outside comedy and acting. He was never desperate like a lot of the others were.
>>
>>67828135

> Guest host Eric Idle, of Monty Python, said that Aykroyd's ability to write and act out characters flawlessly made him the only member of the SNL cast capable of being a Python.

not bad. Too bad for Aykroyd's Asperger syndrome.
>>
>In an appearance on the Today show, Aykroyd referred to himself and John Belushi as "kindred spirits." In the biography "Belushi," Aykroyd claims that Belushi was the only man he could ever dance with.

;_; Dan... he's had a hard life
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.