[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/swg/ Screenwriting General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 11
File: 1459486272478.jpg (7 KB, 260x274) Image search: [Google]
1459486272478.jpg
7 KB, 260x274
I'm fukken doing some shit, guys.
Already wrote 3 pages on my draft (no outline except for planning the movie in my head when not at home)

how's it going for my fellow content-creators?
>>
>>67810725
I'm halfway through my spec masterpiece. I already quit my dayjob. This shit is going to sell for millions.Wooo!
>>
>>67810725
Started writing some script after going to a short film festival (saw one of the shorts they posted in the /fmg/, that was fucking weird) and I'm liking what I have so far.

About a guy who's company is responsible for the destruction of America in multiple timelines, but he and his boss are the only ones that know about it. It's short, just dialogue between him and his inner self (played by an almost identical version of him) during the aftermath of another timeline destruction.
>>
>>67811217
interezting

btw do you guys know about d4darious.
>>
>>67810725
>how's it going for my fellow content-creators?

Surprisingly well actually. It's my first time writing like this and I have a good technique. I used to get stuck looking at a blank page but have developed a few techniques to get me to write things down.
>>
>>67812416
What kind of techniques are you talking about? Please do tell!
>>
>>67812886
First go like this
spin around. Stop!
Double take three times:
one
two
three.
Theeeen PELVIC THRUST!
Whoooo!
Whooooooo!
Stop on your right foot, DON'T FORGET IT!
Now its time to bring it around town.
Bring-it-a-round-town.
Then you do this, then this, and this, and that, and-this-and-that-and-this-and-that, and then... FLOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>67811557
Heard of him, never watched any of his vids
>>
>>67810725

Ordered a book today about writing pilots since apperently specs are kinda obsolete. I'm excited to get start and am trying to work out all the details in my head as far as keeping characters consistent.

For instance the opening scene is a guy betraying his former employers and then years later he goes right back to working for them which doesn't make much sense for him to do considering he risked everything by flaking out on them.
>>
>>67815100

As far as writing for the screen I have a very lofty goal for my first script, I want to make a well written and actually good video game movie. Figured that making an adaptation would be good because it gives me a better sense about how to get my original ideas started.
>>
Looking for some feedback on this script. All criticisms welcome:

http://pastebin.com/rkrxPuEj
>>
>>67815455
Is this like Time Travelers to The Galaxy
>>
>>67815455
you better format that thing or else no one will buy it
>>
>>67815638
It's already happening:

http://www.midnightpartyproductions.com/
>>
File: sting.gif (2 MB, 250x190) Image search: [Google]
sting.gif
2 MB, 250x190
how does one get there foot in door in the industry?

I've been thinking of entering screenwriting contests as a way to get recognition.
but i'm wondering what are other ways besides getting an agent in hollywood or selling the script on my own.

also have an outlet within my friend who does music videos regularly
>>
>>67815845
What's the movie about?
>>
>>67815907
By being Jewish
>>
>>67815845
That background color hurts my eyes.

Take some HTML classes or something holy shit
>>
File: bill45.jpg (123 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
bill45.jpg
123 KB, 480x360
>>67810725
>Already wrote 3 pages on my draft (no outline except for planning the movie in my head when not at home)

Good luck with that.
>>
>>67816801
BILL!
>>
>>67816801
BILL!
>>
>>67816736
B A S E D
A
S
E
D
>>
>>67815908
It's a vampire comedy with lots of cult movie references.
>>
>>67816801
BILL!
>>
>>67816801
What's wrong with that?
>>
>>67818385
I don't have the screencap, someone post it if they do, but generally speaking without a good outline you don't know where you're going, and your script is gonna suffer as a result.
>>
>3 pages
I've gotten to about 33 pages.

Some spec-script ideas for X-Files episodes that I came up with (posted some before). Just decided to try this out since I've been watching it a lot and I have a hard time diverging ''ideas'' from already made sources.

>“Sleep” (could actually be a movie)
Mulder and Scully find themselves the test subjects of a sleep experiment where they are pitted against a deadly killer: their dreams. They soon come to realize that the dreams mean more than their imminent deaths and that everything they’d ever done had meant a world of difference.

>“Skin”
Mulder and Scully investigate a series of strange murders strung together by family. They soon come to encounter a killer that walks in others’ skins.

>“Lighthouse”
Mulder and Scully investigate possible sightings of UFOs seemingly attracted to a mysterious “lighthouse”.

>“Salamander”
Mulder and Scully meet a special forces private possessing strangely aphrodisiac qualities and whose DNA make up contains salamander stem cells. Mulder quickly finds a larger connection between the private and his dead nemesis John Barnett when the Smoking Man shows up to stop the agents in their quest to solve the mystery.
>>
>>67811100
with dubs like those, you can do anything, friend.

good luck. don't forget to spend your savings on networking.
>>
JUNE

Have you ever pissed like a
racehorse?

ROBYN

How exactly does a racehorse piss?

JUNE

Kind of like they cum. Buckets. Is
it bad that I know that? Seeing
horse cock has made me question my
sexuality. Does that make me sick?

ROBYN

It’s more of a dignity factor if
anything.

http://pastebin.com/rkrxPuEj
Awkward silence.
>>
>>67812416
>>67812886
>>67813967
>samefagging in a swg thread for a shitty sbongejob joke
>>
All my actors suck, I'm going to have a not-even-half-finished film for the net foreseeable future

>>67819111
nice trips
>>
>>67819486
>all my actors suck

so you're in production on something right now? how did you get stuck with terrible actors?
>>
>>67819561
He's a fucking normalfag.
>>
>>67819561
>>67819604
Yeah, I'm still using my friends as actors
It's not that I don't like the idea of paying actors or anything

But when I do that, I want to be as professional as possible and have all my shit together. So I need to know that I won't forget a key prop item, or call for a take and forget to turn on the mic or accidentally shoot out of focus - otherwise it's a waste of money and reflects badly on me
And this all takes constant experience
>>
How am I gonna get lighting done when I'm going to be shooting primarily in urban/downtown areas at night?
>>
File: retard.png (102 KB, 1751x741) Image search: [Google]
retard.png
102 KB, 1751x741
>>67819111
Literally no...
>>
>>67811100
Make sure it has a bunch of quips
>>
>>67820134
bring a couple of really bright flashlights, a camera with a decent ISO range and fast lenses
>>
>>67820287
>what is ms paint?
>>
>>67820403
I have a DSLR, a Canon 70D. All I have lens-wise is the kit lens (I know I shouldn't shoot with it but it's convenient on a budget of fuck-all) and a big Zoom lens.

I'll use the flashlights though. Since this is supposed to be a noir story it's good to have weird unrealistic lighting.
>>
>>67812886
Nothing too grounbreaking really, just how to get my ideas onto a page. I'll start with a few bullet points of what I want to happen in the episode, then I'll basically just write (not really looking over it in too much detail) If I get stuck on something I'll move onto the next bit and go back to it later. This will be like a third of the size of the actual script by the end of it. I find this gets me to actually think about any cliches or boring parts of the script that might need changing without actually haven written too much. Then I'll go to a completely different document and start writing the script fully and in detail using the format I came up with earlier.

I dunno it seems to be working with me for the moment. I often get really hung up on little bits of dialogue or action that are not necessarily too much of an issue when it comes to the bigger picture, so having that protoscript helps me actually get my ideas for the whole episode out on a page without getting too hung up on the details that can be brushed up later. Letting me focus on more major problems like continuity and correct character development.
>>
>>67820593
Hey I've got one of those!
But yeah, invest in a decent prime with fast aperture, it'll massively help low-light shooting

Other than that, try and film in areas with street lights as well to provide extra light
>>
>>67815455
>http://pastebin.com/rkrxPuEj

JUNE
(to Wizard)
Wiz! Do I look like a whore to you?
WIZARD
Now Junebug, you know I don’t see
no whore.
JUNE
(to Robyn)
Then why do you wanna treat me like
a whore Robbie?
ROBYN
I don’t think you’re a whore.
June approaches Wizard and pulls a kazoo from her pocket.

topkek
>>
>>67820751
I'll try that. Did some test shots by myself last night under a streetlamp and they looked really nice.
>>
bumo
>>
i wish there were more actual filmmakers on this board and not capeshitters and pretentious cunts pretending to be "patrician" to fit in
>>
File: canon_c100_mark_ii_with_lens.jpg (65 KB, 740x580) Image search: [Google]
canon_c100_mark_ii_with_lens.jpg
65 KB, 740x580
I just put in the order for the equipment I'm renting to shoot a short next weekend. I'll post a pic of everything if there's a /swg/ up at the time.

I think it's going to go well, just need to lock down all the times my actors and a couple of crew members. Also make sure the weather will be not shit. Also make sure I don't drop anything.

I've got like three back up plans, but nothing in case I drop the Canon C100 mk II down a flight of stairs. The one plan for that is curl into a ball and cry until I die.
>>
>>67823431
>The one plan for that is curl into a ball and cry until I die
OR you could just buy another one.
>>
File: batmannachos.gif (138 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
batmannachos.gif
138 KB, 300x225
>>67824144
>buy another C100
I can't even afford the one I'm renting, nevermind the 7k for a replacement.

I'll just be very careful with it, not leave the thing out of my sight, etc.
>>
>>
>>67823378
I don't think any of us are deluded enough to think that we're patricians
>>
>>67827793
You da real mvp nigga

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6uwaxNQt5HRTThUYjVJOTNkcWs
Here's that script I wrote earlier. Noir story by people who have never seen a neo-noir, lightly edited by me.
>>
File: 1458943228822.png (495 KB, 1502x508) Image search: [Google]
1458943228822.png
495 KB, 1502x508
What do you guys think of this cast?
>>
Do you guys write on something specific like some special notebook or some program?

I'm slowly getting into screenwriting and just using windows' notepad.
>>
ScriptShadow has some good advice for anyone interested in filmmaking/screenwriting as a career. He has seven factors he looks at when reviewing a script:

1. Is your idea high concept?
2. Are you writing in one of the six marketable genres (horror, thriller, sci-fi, comedy, action, adventure)?
3. Is your idea marketable?
4. Do you have a fascinating or extremely strong main character?
5. Does it have a unique angle?
6. Is your script packed with conflict?
7. Does your idea contain irony?

Your script should meet at least five of these factors if you want it to get made. A good example is the script for Nightcrawler which meets all the requirements. You can find it online it's a good read.
>>
File: 1426179438225.png (43 KB, 421x248) Image search: [Google]
1426179438225.png
43 KB, 421x248
https://www.youtube.com/user/DRNtube/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/framelinestv/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/HorrorOldSchool/videos

Also here's some lesser known informative film/screenwriting channels that I found a while back that I thought were useful.
>>
>>67828582
dumb animeposter
>>
>>67828043
I use celtx, but if you do stuff in notepad you can probably transcribe it into standard format using Fountain.

Check out fountain.io for more information.
>>
>>67828043
I just take notes in Google docs, and do all my screenwriting in Celtx. I also sometimes take random notes in a notebook I keep on my desk, but most of the time I'm in Google docs.

>>67828218
My feature contains almost all of those, and my short does the same, except for the fact it's not in one of the genres.

It seems like a good checklist, if not one to always hold too rigidly.

>>67828582
I'll make sure to check these out, thanks for the links!
>>
>>67828218
>7. Does your idea contain irony?
It does, but why is this important?
>>
I'm writing a comedy romantic drama cause that's all I can think of at the moment even though it sounds cliché as fuck and done to death
>>
>>67828582

Dang. I was really hoping the HorrorOldSchool would be a channel that focuses on horror, but it doesn't.

thanks for these. I'll be sure to check them out.
>>
I wrote a horror film script and I've been pitching it around town (LA) and it might get made. I'm also the director (I have a previous feature) and might end up producing it too if they let me.
>>
>>67810725
Anyone here has an agent? When you send him a script, how long before he gets back to you?
Really curious about how this kind of thing goes usually.
>>
>>67819701
Hey, bad actor here. How does one become a better actor?
>>
>>67830476
2 ways
>1. be reliable and act professionally - this is why nic cage still gets so much work despite phoning it in ages ago
>2. enunciate your words and learn to be able to speak slowly and quickly without sounding awkward
Beyond that, take a theatre class
But have those 2 and directors and producers will love you more than 90% of your contemporaries
>>
>>67830710
I already have those two, I'm just worried that my actions sometimes seem too contrived. When I try to be subtle, though, I've been told that it looks like I'm not into my character. I guess I'm just struggling to find a balance. I'm in high school (senior, not underage) and I'm taking a drama class, but so far we've really only gone over stage positions and blocking. I did pretty well in our first big assignment (a pantomime I helped make) but I kind of bombed it with my next one, where I played Geppetto in a dark humor take on Pinocchio (I helped a bit with some of the concepts here too). I ended up getting a good grade because our teacher doesn't really give out bad grades if it meets the criteria (which it did), but I can tell my acting was bad.
>>
>>67831102
you just need a decent director
bear in mind that stage acting is very different and over-the-top compared to movie acting
but a decent director will be able to guide you to give a decent performce

the only alternative is to film yourself trying to act out some famous scenes and playing back the footage the next day
>>
>>67810725
Is this also for a general Filmmaking thread? Because I need to fucking vent.

>be me, no fixed home, keep changing address every 2 years
>wannabe movie director like muh spielbergs and coppolas
>dad puts me in this small school, they don't have Director classes because it didn't fill, so he puts me in Photography class
>I'm going to be a director of photography!
>Class project is a short
>Colombian wrote the script
>throw in my ideas, improve on the concept, we both agree on what should be done
>let's shoot this fucker
>no one listens to me or my ideas, they do the flattest most fucking boring angles ever, rush the goddamn story, actor has literally 0 range or direction, I try my best but for some reason they all despise and ignore me
>>
>>67810725
While I'm writing it with a comic in mind, I usually just write it as if it was a movie.

I'm having trouble deciding on whether it should be a ''origin'' story or something else, in any way I'm having trouble coming up with a story idea that's good enough for one movie and doesn't leave much hanging in terms of a possible sequel
>>
>>67835372
You're being WAY too vague. Is this a superhero story? Because that'd be the only case where an origin story (at least for comics) would make sense.

Otherwise, it's better to take the Batman Begins route or the route of most movies: tell the most interesting story you can, and include the origin in flashbacks.

If you're already getting hammered by your origin and the potentials of a sequel, then I'm guessing the CORE of your script -- the characters, the story, the universe -- are fucking garbage right now. Work on them. If anything, once you close your script, it should be DIFFICULT to figure out what you'll do next, to the point where you don't want to do a sequel.
>>
>>67835273
We normally have the /fmg/s for that, but sure why not.

>let's shoot this fucker
>no one listens to me or my ideas, they do the flattest most fucking boring angles ever, rush the goddamn story, actor has literally 0 range or direction, I try my best but for some reason they all despise and ignore me
I fucking know this feel. I'm director on a project now and writer on another, and since I got into college this feels SO much better because I have control.

The one I'm directing, the kids are kinda idiots though. I can work with them, but it'll be difficult because I'll be honest this is my first time with this much control and if I don't live up to the vision in my head I'll be pissed to shit.
Script here:>>67827878
We all co-wrote this, but like I say they haven't seen a noir before so it'll be difficult.
>>
I figured this would be the best place to ask this.

Can anyone recommend a fairly cheap, entry level video camera for a pleb who wants to get into amateur filmmaking?
>>
>>67836088
Generally speaking DSLRs are your best bet. I've heard a T5i is a pretty good starter camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtpIkq9-la0
Some dude posted this here a while ago, it's informed a lot of my decisions while using a DSLR since.
>>
>>67836008
It's a 4-man squad vs evil thing, I have the universe and characters well grasped, the problem is that I came up with many stories and adventures that would work well individually but for a Movie you always have to raise the bar and make it stand out
>>
>>67830326
I have a manager it takes him like two weeks or more to read it. He reads the drafts thoroughly and gives good notes.

who has finished screenplays here?
>>
>>67818705
Sorry for the late response but can someone post said screenshot and/or general tips for "outlining" a plot? Right now I'm doing it just like >>67810725
>>
File: image.png (570 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
570 KB, 640x1136
>>67836297
Thanks m8 this is actually really helpful.
>>
>>67836085
you know what's the worst part? It's when you try to explain yourself and what you want, but for some ungodly reason they just don't fucking understand, and would rather do some disjointed amateur crap just because you extensively explained what you want and to their fucking braindead heads it's too hard and time-consuming, despite being literally the fucking easiest thing
>>
>>67836336
>the problem is that I came up with many stories and adventures that would work well individually

Well, then, you simply need a through-line -- a way to tell the best 1-3 of these stories.

It could be a logical plot device that connects them (for example: a MacGuffin that needs to be found). It could also be looser a la Pulp Fiction and based on a combination of references and feeling (talkiness to violence at diner -> talkiness to violence with hitmen -> marcellus wallace after he's mentioned -> mia wallace after she's mentioned -> the fight -> etc. etc. etc.). Or, go full-on experimental and just tie the stories together however you want.

Tons of ways to do it. Figure out a plan of action, and proceed.
>>
>>67836646
Sweet living fuck that is difficult.

>Alright, so in this shot I'd like for you to sort of keep it nice and casual, real smooth-like.
>Oh ok anon

>proceeds to give the hammiest performance imaginable
>>
>>67835273
>no one listens to me....ignore me

unfortunately that's a possibility considering it's a team project ie you're not the director unless they say so and they're not being paid for any of it

instead, look at what you have and try to salvage what you can and learn from it. you can use this to practice editing, or analyze the footage and see what it is you don't like, shoot the shots you want on your off time, save them for a future project, etc

it's only a class project and there's always going to be more stuff to shoot in the future
>>
>>67836646
People will tell you filmmaking is collaborative
That's code for the director/producer has to make everyone else fall in line and do their fucking jobs

If it was up to everyone else, every film would be hundreds of times shitter because it's easier
So they all get pissed at the director for making them work harder
But then when they win awards for set design and cinematography suddenly no one's complaining anymore
>>
>>67836541
Thanks for the reply dude! Very informative.
I sent a script to my agent last Monday (it's the first time I send him one). He said he was eager to check it out, and I was wondering if it was a bad sign that he didn't get back to me in one week.
>>
>>67836562
To outline try to think of scenes that you can describe just in a couple of sentences.
A good movie should have between 50 to 100 scenes, depends on the pacing and on how you treat time. If your story happens in many places across different moments in time you'll probably end up with more scenes.
Every scene has to be essential, you can add transition scenes later if you have to explain how they got from one place to another.
You can later start to fill the outline with action and make a treatment from the same document.
I use cards and lay them out in act breaks to see if my story is balanced and that it keeps moving forwards.
>>
>>67836854
What agency? Are you only a screenwriter or also a director or producer?
>>
>>67836787
I wasn't the director but I sure as fuck wish I were because we would've gotten stuff done quicker and better because I would've literally prepared a schedule for shots and storyboards, it always helps when you know how to draw, anyway what the ''Director'' would do is just vaguely tell the actor what to do and the actor would just do it without any rhythm what-so-ever

I tried training him to do my idea for the ending, and I managed to get something out of his stiff face, we literally could've done it right then and there, but they just wouldn't do it, they rather stick to the vague screenplay that made no sense, and believe it or not, they shot it in a way where it makes even LESS sense than it originally had, I don't know if this is supposed to be a lesson I have to learn so I learn my fucking place during a production, or if I'm literally the only one in there that has any kind of inspiration or vision to fucking make it work, as mediocre of an idea it is.
>>
>>67836811
the director of photography of Spartacus would constantly fight with Kubrick because they just wouldn't agree on the lightining of the film, in the end Spartacus won several Academy Awards, one being for best Cinematography, credited to the original cinematographer, he literally didn't fucking say anything.
>>
>>67836992
I have more experience as an animation director (though I only directed animated shorts so far). This is the first script I've ever written. Took a whole year. My two friends were a big part of the creation process.
The agent is from WME. Needless to say I'm really anxious. I really hope he like what we came up with.
>>
>>67837249
Yooo post some of them shorts nigga
>>
I'm struggling very hard on writing my first feature film. I've been writing pilots and shorts for years now, but never tried a feature film. It's so shit and it's really bothering me. I know I can do something with the idea, but I can't grasp it.
>>
>>67837509
You have an outline down?
>>
>>67837381
There you go.
We were only 3 CG artists to do the whole thing with little to no money, so don't expect Pixar level. It took us two years to complete.
Hope you enjoy!
https://vimeo.com/118471437
>>
>>67837786
Shit! I remember you, you'd post in the /fmg/ threads on occasion.

Man, it still looks really fucking good. You're going places, man.
>>
>>67837063
I understand where you're coming from. My first project; each member of my team (there was 4 of us) had to be behind the camera and practically make shots up on the fly. They wrote a somewhat generic script, with little of my input, none of them were actors, and we had a very short time frame. I could suggest ideas to them or try to convince them to do things I wanted, but I thought, it's their time behind the camera and most likely they're going to do things they want to do.

So instead I focused my energy in the editing room. I made several versions of the same short, just messing around with what we had. It looked very amateurish, but there was some good stuff in there that I took from. I salvaged what I could and learned quite a bit about editing in the process.

My next two projects, I asked my group if I could direct, and luckily they had no problem with it.
>>
>>67837249
I started in animation
I made the transition relatively smoothly so I'd hope it was possible
>>
>>67837875
I wish I could edit it, unfortunately the original writer is going to do it while I just fix him up the storyboards for the scenes that are not in the film so he can put them in the credits, showing a ''what if'' version of the short just as a final Fuck you to the other guys, that's going to be literally my only input in the project because they wouldn't even let me hold the fucking camera
>>
>>67837869
Thanks man. I'm still lurking these threads, reading what's going on with the other anons and trying to figure how to move ahead.
I don't know if you're the guy that answered my question about how fast an agent/manager reads a script, but that info was a huge relief.

What are you working on?
>>
>>67838018
You mean you made the transition from animation to live action? Are you a director or scriptwriter or both?
>>
>>67838070
I'm not, sorry.

I'm working on this:>>67827878
>>
>>67838029
well, you could convince the editor to let you help him so you have some say in the final product or copy the footage and make your own version of the short on your spare time just for the fuck of it or to practice/learn from

it sounds like these guys really don't like you.
>>
>>67836581
No problem mane

Also the fuck is that picture
>>
>>67838275
What do you expect? A skinny big-eared kid with a toupé talking about Super Technirama 70 and random movie trivia no one has ever heard or seen in their lives because he's just moved in is suddenly trying to take charge because he thinks his ideas are hot shit.

I really don't care if it's true or not, what matters is that they ignored whatever improvement I could've suggested out of spite, and for some reason the only girl in the group seemed to be the one that despised me the most, and somehow she influenced the group, in any case, it's not over yet, we've yet to shoot more stuff, I just don't know if I have the strength to go through all that shit again.
>>
>>67838231
Oh, so you're that guy! Nice man, looks like you'll end up with a pretty funny short. I just hope for you the actors will be decent. You said they didn't really know much about films noirs, hopefully they'll listen to you.
>>
>>67838565
Godspeed anon. Keep us updated on what happens, I'm excited to see how bad it ends up becoming.
>>
>>67838613
Thanks anon. They all seem pretty willing to work hard, but I feel as though I should have them watch a short Noir beforehand just so they can get a handle on it.

I've been showing them clips from Sin City so they can understand what I'm going for visually, but I think they'd benefit more from seeing this little short. Came across it a few years ago, it's a really good starting point for modern noir imo.

https://vimeo.com/120340284
>>
>>67838565
Well, then fuck them. And take it as a lesson of the business of film making and dealing with difficult people. You said it yourself. Film is collaborative, and since you're not director and they're not getting paid to listen to you, they can do what they want.

If your next team is better and more open minded, then your ideas, assuming they're good , will carry over, and your former team will see that they fucked up.
>>
>>67836775
get better actors and direct your actors differently.
>>
>>67830061
Yeah? Good to hear, trying to make connections and shit.

What's the story about?
>>
>>67837581
I don't really do outlines on first drafts. I usually just write them, and fix shit in 2nd drafts. I kinda am going for that meandering plot, so I feel like an outline might give it too much structure.
>>
>>67838808
I just don't know how Tuesday will turn up, they're gonna shoot interior stuff in the writer's house, in my version the only interior stuff I bothered to write was but a few brief scenes inside the sequences because other things seemed more important like telling a cohesive story, but now we're gonna shoot half the film at night on someone's house.

I'm starting to grow ambitious, I remember I once planned to sabotage a guy's shitty play alongside a friend but the play didn't happen anyway, so I was wondering what kind of mischief I can do to deliberately ruin this fucking tripe, maybe something like a joke Commentary track or just add fart sound effects for everything with Sandstorm being the only song playing in the background
>>
>>67839059
>a joke Commentary track or just add fart sound effects for everything with Sandstorm being the only song playing in the background
You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention.
>>
>>67831102
So do the opposite fool.

You suck naturalism? Go full comedian.
You want to improve at naturalism? Read some stanislavskian shit.
Your subtle acting seems like you're not in character? so add something different into the mix? Change how you move, how you talk, your stance, positioning, the way you wear your clothes.

Please tell me U.S. drama classes at least include some theatrical practicioners (assuming you're U.S.) because otherwise I'm worried I'm gonna out-act every community college I audition at if I ever Immigrate back from the U.K.
>>
>>67838761
Wow! That was a great short, thanks for the discovery.

Do you have more plans after the short you are working on? or do you go one project at a time?
>>
>>67835273
When you are confident, composed, intimidating, and you structure your arguments logically. You won't have this problem. Demolish people with reason and aggression, that's the best way to work with idiots.
>>
>>67839263
I've got two classes I'm doing shorts for, this is technically the one I shouldn't worry about as much. Dammit though, if I have control on a project I wanna make it look GOOD.

The other one is a silent film in the vein of Jacques Tati's Playtime, a series of incidents that happen to these two assholes on their way to class, with a subtle commentary on how technology is actually making our lives more difficult.

I only wrote script for that one.
>>
>>67836775
Direct better.
>>
>>67839456
>>67838982
Alright, thanks for the tip.
>>
>>67839321
I like to think I'm all that, the problem here was that I'm not at the helm and I was asking for something especific, retards hate specific things, because no matter how hard you explain shit to them they chicken out even though all they need to do is fucking lower the tripod and give me a nice low-angle.
>>
>>67838115
Director
Nowhere big yet though, still working on short films
I guess I'm a writer too since I write everything I direct and want to write films when I have the budget

But yeah, I spent my teens making shitty cartoons that gradually got better
I considered going to art school to be an animator but fuck that
>>
>>67837786
This is dope. Awesome work.
>>
>>67838761
>https://vimeo.com/120340284
That short is fantastic.
>>
Something of a "writing method" for anyone stuck -- it uses a bunch of chess analogies if that interests you.

---

Before you go into anything with writing, you have to recall the structure of Capablanca's "Chess Fundamentals." He begins with endings, primarily to showcase the power of pieces.

For writers, this is useful because it teaches you to 1) isolate other things as you're building your characters and your world and 2) actually work through these exercises, rather than just say "oh, a rook can move like this based on the rules; i now fully understand its powers, even though i've never actually moved it on the board".

More fully spelled out:
* You should understand the "Pieces" of your story. You can divide these pieces however you want (since a story, as told through film, comics, radio, TV, literature, etc. can have numerous divisions). But, it's important to realize that EVERYTHING is a Piece: the themes you plan on using are a Piece you must master; the settings are Pieces; characters are obviously Pieces.

* You master these Pieces by creating scenarios, which you might not directly use in your script. You build and master your characters by writing scenes for them; you master your setting by writing scenes where they're the focal point; you write scenes for the themes when they, too are the focal point. It's not as difficult as chess exercises, but it's enough to get your juices flowing so your subconscious can take care of the rest.
>>
>>67839794

As you become comfortable with your Pieces, then -- following Chess Fundamentals' structure -- it's useful to create more situations to test your Pieces. You can do this my creating scenes fit for a theoretical first, second, and third act. First acts are when things are at their simplest and usually most predictable -- pieces are introduced, small movements made. Second acts are when things get chaotic, the goals are less clear. Third acts are when the goal is in sight.

Naturally, without even talking about plot yet, some things will be easier to experiment than others. With characters, for example, you just have to create a third act scenario of some sort (which might have NOTHING to do with your idea, although it should fit within your idea's "universe") and then play around with them.

After all this is said and done, your next step is plotting. But at this point, it should be pretty easy: your goal is to showcase the power and variety of your Pieces. Figure out a way to do that.

From there, you get the actual writing. That pretty much leaves chess sayings for the last bits of help:

1) develop your pieces quickly and with some variety
2) make sure your pieces are in a strong and/or stable positions before moving on (in other words, leave after something satisfying and potentially with something to look forward to)
3) don't be distracted by "plot" (i.e. don't be so focused on using a plot that you use bad exposition); always focus on building and strengthening your pieces by moving forward
>>
>>67839530
To elaborate a little more, you should form a personal relationship with your actors. No matter how small the production is, get to know them, be friendly, be sociable, be open. You will then find yourself able to explain your vision better to them, and will also then find yourself working together with the actor the give the best performance. Actors suck, they're the worst. But you have to cater to them, you have to be fake, but it will get you a hell of a performance in the end if you do it right.
>>
>>67839562
I would advise you to maybe use your words in a better fashion. I can talk to retards, you just have to use a different and more specific language. 95% of having an above the line job is being able to work with people, especially people that you hate. Find a way to do it, use your filmmaking creativity and apply that socially to how you approach and deal with co-workers.
>>
>>67839910
Yeah, I think I got that. My actors are pretty cool with me at the moment, but I can definitely understand how being friendly and fake can help out a performance.
>>
>>67811100
if you make it for the money then fuck you
>>
>>67839996
I don't know, for now I feel like I permanently ruined any chances of getting them to listen to me solely because they didn't like it when I tried explaining my ideas.

Just fuck it, I'm going to sabotage the project, somehow.
>>
I pictured a philosophical kino masterpiece yesterday and im sad cuz it probably will never be posible
>>
I'm trying to write a modern adaptation of Macbeth.
I decided to change it from a kingdom, to a drug empire, but I don't know shit about drug culture.
And I don't know what I could add to the story, stylistically, to make it stand out more.
I was considering making it a musical, but finding people that can act and song will probably prove too difficult.
>>
>>67840129
Never ever do that. Never ever burn bridges in this line of work. I've worked with actual fucking idiots who have gotten crazy opportunities since just because of work ethic and connections. If you sabotage one project, other people will hear about it, potentially important people. And yes, this applies for people in film school as well and also especially. There are people I will never help because of how they almost fucked me over.
>>
I had an idea a long time ago, about sort of a coming of age story centered around a kid that's a designated driver for a group of drunken teenagers being implicated in a gas-station robbery and having to drive the robbers around, but I have no idea how I'd want it to end.
>>
>>67810725
>content-creators
Don't ever use that term again you piece of shit. Not even ironically.
>>
>>67840330
I guess you're right, even then it's just a small class project, it's not going to be in any festivals or whatever, in the end it's just going to be a Youtube video with 13 views (I told the director this and I could feel the rustle), problem is that I feel like I'm already fucked, it's clear they hate me, they don't understand me, and if they were given a choice to pick me over a friend that doesn't know how to do shit they'd pick the friend, either way I'm moving out of town in a year or so, so there's that.
>>
in contact with decently esteemed producers and am about to send them 6 episodes of a comedy that is mostly inspired by a mixture of Curb and Peep Show

How do I not fuck this up?
>>
File: lichman.jpg (62 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
lichman.jpg
62 KB, 200x200
I'll be back soon /swg/
school will be conquered
Writing and Creativity will prevail.
Now if only some self-discipline would come through.
>>
>>67840815
From now on I should look up a cure for my disease, I have the impression that I have a condition where my feromones must feel like poison to people
>>
>>67839794
>>67839834
I like architecture analogies too.
This chess one was enjoyable. Why are there so many parallels between dramatic writing and other disciplines like music, sports, chess, architecture, etc?
>>67838992
About a gang of amateur filmmakers that trick girls into getting raped by a demon and one of them survives and is pregnant with the demon's son.
>>67837249
WME is good, I see a guy from CAA on tuesday. I don't know what to expect.
>>67837181
Why would he say anything?
>>67839036
You're doing it the wrong way.
>>67840480
You sound like a bitch. I wouldn't work with you.
>>67840811
Explain your ideas in a way they understand them, make them laugh, and have a good quality product.
>>
>>67840480
Small class projects lead to bigger things, that's how it works. Also, never limit a project. I wish you good luck, but I would recommend an adjustment in your approach to these things.
>>
>>67840811
if their looking to see them, then your obviously past the pitching process

just send them over and hope for the best. let your work speak for itself
>>
Is the only way to get someone to respond to my post to whine about nobody responding to my post?
>>
>>67841590
what post?
>>
>>67841636
>>67840326
>>
>>67841725
have you seen this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macbeth_%282006_film%29
>>
>>67841815
I haven't watched it, but I know of it's existence.
It looks ugly.
>>
>>67840326
>I don't know shit about drug culture.
Research it then. Watch a bunch of documentaries on the drug trade, how it moves, what kind of people inhabit that world, and write shit down. Go to the internet and look shit up.

Also, are you gonna be adapting it directly from Shakespeare's work? If so, you've kinda been beaten to the punch by >>67841815.

Write your characters originally, follow the general beats of the story but plan it out so that it feels like it's own thing. You already have a rich well of inspiration to draw from, now utilize it.
>>
>>67842543
I'm not using the exact language.
>Research it then. Watch a bunch of documentaries on the drug trade, how it moves, what kind of people inhabit that world, and write shit down. Go to the internet and look shit up.
My solution was going to be to focus more on the characters than the situations, but I probably should still do research.
The language is another big problem for me. I'm black and I wanted to approach the script from my cultural standpoint.
And while I do use AAVE/slang/ebonics, it's not how I was raised or how I think (for the most part) and I feel it's going to come off as inauthentic in my writing.
Black culture has a very huge overlap with being poor, and even though I'm from Bed-Stuy I've been middle class my whole life.
>>
>>67828218
Why is 7 important? My spec does but that's because plebs like irony.

Oh I guess i just answered,y own question
>>
>>67840326
Dude I literally conceived a similar idea once. Except I'm a beaner and know about drug culture
>>
>>67843132
Maybe we could work together.
>>
currently developing two stories.

First one is a rags to riches story about the rise to power of a young PA to executive and the shenanigans he goes thru. Kind of like The Player meets Goodfellas.

Second one is a thriller about a valley girl that goes on a killing spree in a Southern California college campus, evoking an atmosphere of terror and paranoia in the community.
>>
>>67843225
Alright. Not sure where to begin with
>>
>>67842905
Hey, it could be alright. I can understand not feeling like certain language comes across as sincere.

For me at least, watching movies or shows with a certain accent leaves me with that accent in my head for a little while, to the point where I can respond to someone using that accent without sounding unnatural. I advise a similar approach.

Keep your characters in mind as well. WHY are they speaking this way? What's their upbringing? Would they talk this way if they were in a different situation?

I'm probably just pulling things out of my ass at this point, but you catch my drift.
>>
>>67843289
For starters, how old are you? Where do you live? Is there anywhere else we could talk? Once I write this movie I'm planning to film it and submit to Sundance.

>>67843290
>For me at least, watching movies or shows with a certain accent leaves me with that accent in my head for a little while, to the point where I can respond to someone using that accent without sounding unnatural. I advise a similar approach.
I've always used AAVE to an extent, but it started to really come out once I began listening to hip-hop.
>>
>>67843470
In that case, it might work. Listen to more hip-hop then. If you're listening while writing, have your music match their character and mood. Might help if you assign an artist to a character when writing them.
>>
>>67842905
This is actually a very interesting approach

>>67843470
18, mex. there are platforms like chatzy where I can give you more info. or my work gmail tonallan13 at g m a i l. com
>>
>>67843585
>Might help if you assign an artist to a character when writing them.
Thank you so fucking much, holy shit, is that a great idea.

>>67843608
Alright, cool, I'm 18 too.
I need to get to bed and I don't know if this thread will be here in the morning so I'll shoot you an email and add you to a doc where I'm brainstorming.
>>
Should I restrict myself from only putting time and energy to outlining and writing shorts I can realistcally film or work on my actual long high concept stuff?
>>
>>67846615
I actually wonder that question myself too and I really can't sum up to write a short film so i just go on with the high concept stuff. Not to say, it actually takes a lot more time and dedication than short films
>>
Is there any screenwriting apps for Android or anything similar?
>>
>>67827933
Are you that autistic guy who keeps posting that screenplay about American Prisons vs. Norwegian Prisons?

What's up?
>>
>>67842905
This sounds a lot like you're using your skin colour as a pass to portray an environment you know nothing about
>>
Sup /swg/ I've never wrote a script before and I wanna give it a try, any starting points and tops for me?
>>
>>67852508
thanks for your opinion
>>
>>67852825
Am I wrong?
You've basically admitted it
>>
>>67837249
>>67841114

How do you guys go about getting an agent?

I know I'm not at that point yet but I thought I'd ask.
>>
>>67852919
"know nothing about" is a great exaggeration.
>>
>>67830061

Lol
>>
>>67839036

Lol
>>
>>67828992
>>67843100
To draw in the reddit/imdb crowd
>>
>>67853034
I don't know if it's always like that, but for me it was the agent that came to me and not the other way around.
I made this short film with two friends : >>67837786
We sent it to festivals around the world for almost a year and didn't get contacted by anyone working in the industry. It's only when we put it online that we got some results.
2 months after putting it online, we had around 300k views, and we got contacted by 2 different agents and a few producers.

One of my friends wants to pitch an animated TV show, and I gave him the contact of one of the agents that contacted us, and they weren't interested by him at all. Looks like you HAVE to do something they like first.
Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.