[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ewan McGregor on the Possibility of an Obi-Wan Kenobi Spinoff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 19
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgqEx9aIfCQ

Steve pointed out that the fans would like to see an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie, and McGregor responded:
>I’d very much like to do one too. I think the story between Episode III and Episode IV, I think there’s a story there. I think that’s the Obi-Wan Kenobi movie, if there is one. The one that bridges my Obi-Wan Kenobi and Alec’s Obi-Wan Kenobi because there’s a—I don’t know how long he’s in the desert there, but it’s got to be twenty or thirty years.

When pressed if he met with Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy, McGregor replied:
>I’m not sure I’m at liberty to say, really, but I’m very interested in doing that. That would be great. Maybe there’s even a trilogy! (laughs)

What the hell would it even be about?
Do you think there should be movies about characters we already know about instead of focusing on new things? I think a trilogy is a bit excessive.
>>
>>67794743
Rev up the memes lads
>>
I want a star wars western but I feel that it would work better as a standalone film that has no ties to any of the other films and takes place at an unknown time. Main Mc would be Jedi who turned Sith but then left the order and now lives on a backwater country.
>>
>>67794743
The Irony that McGreggor is making a Jesus movie in desert and a Kenkobi movie in desert
>>
>>67794743
I still want a Qui Gon film set before the events of Phantom Menace where Neeson just kicks sith ass as a gritty action flick from start to finish
>>
There's thousands of years and millions of planets, cultures, and races to explore and create, and all anyone ever fucking wants is the same story about the same characters fighting the same factions over and over again.

This is why SW is shit.
>>
A Ben Kenobi movie should be a fucking sci fi western. Period.

No ties with any trilogy, just the Star Wars name, Tatooine and full western.
>>
So he lost his scottish accent once and for all?
>>
>>67794976
FUCKING THIS
>>
>>67794833
>>67794980
there's no north/south/east/west in the star wars trilogy, you fucking casuals

there can't be a western
>>
>>67794980
Have Daniel Craig as a side kick character helping Kenobi along the way. that be fucking amazing!!
>>
>>67794743
Best idea for the movie ending:
CGI re create young Luke as Obi Won looks over the mountain to see him passed out from the fight with sand people - ending it right when he makes his first appearance in ANH.

Camera zooms up to Kenobi's face which now has a CGI recreation of Alec Guinness.

*Audience let's off the biggest applause in cinema history*

BRILLIANT!
>>
>>67794980
It shouold be Kenobi getting thrown in between a conflict with local farmers/settlers and a bunch of mercs hired by al hutt to extort them
>>
>>67794976
So we shouldn't honor McGregor with a great movie? You aren't a fan of this franchise, you are a whiny bitch.
>>
>>67794743
Ewan deserved better than those abortions, so I'm for it.
>>
Star Wars will never die, so why not give him his movie before he dies?
>>
>tfw I'll watch anything with him
>>
If Han Solo is successful they're definitely do it eventually. Maybe they'll wait until Phase II 10 years later. Not like he'd be too old for it.
>>
>>67794743
Will it feature a shota Luke?
>>
>>67795758
Does Mark Hamill have any grandchildren who look like him?
>>
>>67795389
actually disney expects the star wars IP to last around 80 years according to their most recent 10-K. that's how long they valued the intangible on their books.
>>
don't do it mcgregor, you're above filth like this
>>
>>67796325
They just need a random cute blond kid to play little luke.
>>
>>67796539
Just like little Jake.
>>
>>67796578
Jake was never cute and his hair was retarded.

Lucas is terrible at casting shotas.
>>
>>67796678
He looked like a psycho even as a kid
>>
>>67796893
>that smug fucking face
>>
>>67796893
He really was Anakin.
>>
File: Ce_W3JQXEAAMeFy.jpg (68 KB, 600x649) Image search: [Google]
Ce_W3JQXEAAMeFy.jpg
68 KB, 600x649
>>67796325
Not yet
>>
>>67796979
Mark?
>>
>>67796433
>a fucking movie series will out live you
>>
>>67796979
>ywn shitpost with Mark
>>
>>67796979
pls marry me, Mark <3
>>
>Kenobi Yojimbo

Fucking fund it right now
>>
File: dwzQbFWLaM-12.png (21 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
dwzQbFWLaM-12.png
21 KB, 300x250
>>67794743
>I would like to do it
>Yes I would like to do it
>I think we should do it
>I would love to do it
>I hope we can do it
>I think we should do it

Jesus fucking Christ, just do it already Disney. You have an actor there that legitimately loves the role and wants to contribute to the established universe, yet instead you're making a bunch of SJW shitty spin off movies no one asked for.

>Implying they shouldn't just make 3 stand alone movies based on Kenobi, Wedge, and young Palpatine
>Implying Fett has enough character to even make a movie with him, or anyone else is worth doing a movie about

I guarantee you they are going to shoe-horn in a one armed Mace movie for those big black bux.
>>
>>67794976

Blame the fucking mainstream fans. George Lucas tried to add depth to the world, and explore new things with the prequels and got shit on it by legions of angry manchildren who craved nostalgia so fucking bad they couldn't look past it and wanted nothing more than the same regurgitated material.

That's why TFA did so damn well, it literally did nothing new but it gave the mainstream fans exactly what they wanted. That's why Star Wars has stagnated, that's why society in general has stagnated in terms of films and tv shows. People just want the same old thing, they crave to feel again how they felt as a child and they close themselves off to new experiences and wanting something fresh.

>tl;dr Blame the mainstream fans for wanting the same shit over and over
>>
>Disney will never adapt anything from the extended universe and will always show the same planets with the same factions

Jesus Christ how boring
>>
>>67797230
>just do it already Disney
They probably have plans for it and are just waiting to announce it by now.
>>
>>67797230
This is a terrible new meme you're trying to start
>>
>>67797261
Saying that, stuff using ideas from the prequels did really well. Republic Commando and the Clone Wars cartoon to name a few. The ideas for a good movie is there in the prequels but is lost in the midst of bad direction and film making in general. George is the ultimate ideas man.
>>
File: 3d4.jpg (29 KB, 396x400) Image search: [Google]
3d4.jpg
29 KB, 396x400
>>67797261
>George Lucas tried to add depth to the world, and explore new things with the prequels and got shit on it by legions of angry manchildren who craved nostalgia so fucking bad they couldn't look past it and wanted nothing more than the same regurgitated material.

Remember when Lucas made Darth Vader space jesus because he was the most popular character? Remember when Anakin built C3PO? Remember when Obiwan knew R2D2 and then forgot about him in ANH? Remember when obiwan said "why do I feel like you'll be the death of me"

Fuck off Lucas shill. The entire prequel trilogy exists to set up the originals. At least the progression of the sequel trilogy isn't predetermined and relies on new characters.
>>
>>67797261

Yep.

Think of all the stories created in the EU. All the games, books, and fanfics that created new settings and characters so rich that it's amazing to see so much content come from 3 movies from back in the day.

Yet Disney is incapable of making a whole new story with new characters or planets or stories even though they are sitting on a franchise with a dedicated fanbase garunteed to make them millions. They don't need to play it safe. Try new things and let the fans embrace a new part of the universe.

It's fucking sad how badly they cringed onto referencing ep4 in TFA. they had to constantly remind people about the old movies to keep them interested just long enough before sliding another reference in there.
>>
>>67797380

Yeah, I understand that to be honest. But most mainstream fans like I said, just damned the prequels with no redeemable factors >>67797464
like this idiot right here, they just focus on the bad and they don't see the good things. Obviously there are great things in the prequels, its just that George Lucas went to far in some places and the bad is much more than what's good about them. Disney now, scared of having another prequels hate thing happen they are playing it safe as fuck, which means they will stick to just doing OT things for their feature movies.

>>67797261

>Implying they shouldn't just make 3 stand alone movies based on Kenobi, Wedge, and young Palpatine
Give me one movie with Wedge leading a Squadron to retrieve the Death Star plans, and I'm game.
>Implying Fett has enough character to even make a movie with him, or anyone else is worth doing a movie about
Give me a Dredd style movie with Fett. He barely has any lines, never takes off his helmet and is one a race against time with other Bounty Hunters for the big bounty. Don't give me any love interest bullshit, or forced character drama. Treat Fett as a force of nature, willing to do anything to get his mark.
>>
>>67797650
Dream Star Wars movie is one using elements of the plot of the Old Republic or a movie about Thrawn (I don't care he is non canon). Disney isn't looking too horrible, but yeah, doing OT things only really hurts them sometimes. Not too much, but just enough. For example, the original Battlefront had the PT factions (CIS and Republic) and they were the most played factions. The new one (Among all the other problems) has none of these factions. Also cancelling the last season of The Clone Wars pissed me off.
>>
>>67794743
He was the only good thing about the prequels other than the Maul lightsaber fight, so I'm ok with this.
>>
>>67797650
>But most mainstream fans like I said, just damned the prequels with no redeemable factors

>claim the prequels were original
>someone provides examples to the contrary
>GOD WHY ARE PEOPLE SO MEAN TO THE PREQUELS GEORGE IS A CREATIVE GENIUS I LOVE HIM HOW DARE SOMEONE INSULT GEORGE-SENPAI
>but fuck Disney though, right guys!
>>
>>67794976
So what?

McGregor was based as Obi.

I'd really like if they fleshed our Mandalore more and they can with Obi since he spent time there and was dicking Satine.
>>
>>67797964
Not that anon.

I hated the prequels with a damn passion. However, there are some good ideas that became stupid. If you were to tell me before seeing the prequels that it would revolve around the start of the Empire from a war that the sith controls both sides of using a diplomatic republic and a separatist senate, I would've thought that would be a good idea. Unfortunately, those ideas went down and drowned out by the Anakin=Space jesus, Jedi's are an organisation instead of a mystic religion and boring political talks.
>>
>>67796979

OH SHIT!

Is that you, Mark?
>>
File: 1445679876000.png (2 KB, 178x82) Image search: [Google]
1445679876000.png
2 KB, 178x82
>>67796979
I bet Mark would make the cutest and most light hearted shitposts.
>>
>>67798535
>yfw Mark Hamill is shitposting as the Joker.
>>
>>67794743
>is a bit excessive

Well, Disney doesn't care, y'know. They're going to milk this franchise for all it's worth. The star wars fanbase is almost religious in nature. They will gladly empty their pockets over and over and over no matter how shitty or frequent this spinoffmmovies are.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAgELk-P6w
All those years and he's still got it.
>>
>>67794743
I would much rather see an Obi Wan movie than a Han Solo movie with someone who does not remotely resemble Harrison Ford.
>>
>>67797923
>Actually implying McDiarmid wasn't GOAT in ep 3
He makes that shitshow worth watching.
>>
>>67800101
I'd be fine with an animated Han Solo movie.
>>
>>67800353
That would definitely work. Especially if Filoni was working on it.
>>
>>67794743
The original concept of wild Kenobi movie was heavily 7 Samurai influenced, it was supposed to be about 7 Jedi defending a temple after Order 66. But that was the idea back when Snyder was attached to it.
>>
>>67795022
>how to be as pedantic as possible: the post
>>
>>67795022
Every planet could have a west, so...
>>
>>67799706
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubyo5eZz_Jc
lel
>>
>>67794980
adapt the man with no name trilogy to star wars

fuck it, they did it back and forth from westerns to samurai movie, why not star wars?
>>
>>67797464
>At least the progression of the sequel trilogy isn't predetermined and relies on new characters.

pity you never told abrams that
>>
>>67794743

It should be a mistery "noir" movie. With bounty hunters and shit looking for Luke and Obiwan secretly burying them in the desert in the middle of the night.
>>
The Adventures of Ben and Owen.
>>
I wouldn't mind a Kenobi movie based on those books detailing the life he had while being trained by Qui Gon
yeah they're shit, but some young life Obi would be sweet
>>
>>67794743
Ewan McGregor is JUST proof
>>
>>67800452
>Snyder
And now he's gonna do it with JL
>>
>>67801154
Those are kids novels
For middle school children
>>
>>67794743
>What the hell would it even be about?
Probably something along the lines of the novel your image is advertising which literally covers his time on Tatooine between II and IV, you dipshit.
>>
I always felt like Ewan Mcgregor seems like a cool guy, seems pretty genuine and down to earth in interviews and shit, he was so excited to be in Star Wars so I felt bad that everyone fucking hated the prequels so much and they were shit, would be cool if he got another chance to be in some SW movies that don't suck.
>>
File: oh anakin.png (1 MB, 1538x647) Image search: [Google]
oh anakin.png
1 MB, 1538x647
>>67801402
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ihqDETf324
he's chill
there's a video around of him flyfishing on one of those comedy talk shows. One of the BBC guys I think.
>>
>>67801402
He, McDiarmid and Maul were the best things about the prequels.
>>
>>67801579
He did some show where he did a cross country trip on a motor bike since he's really into his bikes. Always been a really chill guy
>>
>>67798604
>he's the one making MOM'S GONNA FREAK threads
>>
>>67801617
Maul is probably the shittiest villain in the series, why do people like him so much?
>>
>>67801995
He looks badass. He's the Boba Fett of the prequels.
>>
>>67796979
H'wut?
>>
>>67794976
>There's thousands of years and millions of planets, cultures, and races to explore and create
I mean, at that point why even make it Star Wars? If it has no connection to anything else it may as well be an original film.
>>
File: 1223456789876500.png (176 KB, 439x372) Image search: [Google]
1223456789876500.png
176 KB, 439x372
>>67801972
Based Hamill
>>
File: 1444804001573.png (14 KB, 380x326) Image search: [Google]
1444804001573.png
14 KB, 380x326
>>67801972
>>
>>67802069
It's a shoop
>>
>>67798604
What an absolute madman.
>>
>>67795022
you've done good things to earn this (You) my friend
>>
File: 80stv.jpg (107 KB, 568x902) Image search: [Google]
80stv.jpg
107 KB, 568x902
>>67801111
Makes sense. Owen is the key.
>>
>>67794862
pottery
>>
File: 1427621799978.jpg (40 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1427621799978.jpg
40 KB, 400x388
>yfw you realise Disney owns Star Wars, and thus we are going to get saturated with dozens of spinoffs that explore the Star Wars universe from all different time periods

What a time to be alive
>>
>>67803792
lol just stop going on the internet so you don't have to hear about them what are you complaining about XD
>>
Literally what is there for him to do besides fight of swoop gangs and tusken raiders?
>>
>>67803792
So basically, Disney is capitalizing on the plots, characters, ideas, etc people had already made for the past 30 or so years that was suddenly rendered non-canon? lazy hacks
>>
File: 14567890987600.jpg (272 KB, 708x893) Image search: [Google]
14567890987600.jpg
272 KB, 708x893
>>67803873
Go on adventures with little Luke and argue with Owen.
>>
>>67803873
meeting Rey's grandma
>>
i wouldn't mind seeing a smaller scale movie about obi-wan dealing with some thugs on tatooine while trying to keep a low profile, basically trying to balance the two.

but that won't happen, he needs to be doing back flips and shit
>>
>>67803873
it can show his daily life of protecting luke from gang rape
>>
More like he wants 50 million dollars
>>
>>67803964
>>67804189
This
>>
>>67801579
thefuck his uncle was wedge?
Also why does Rick Mcallum remind me of Tony Soprano
>>
>>67804042
>but that won't happen, he needs to be doing back flips and shit
The fights in TFA were pretty grounded. I don't think we'll ever see the horseshit prequel-style battles outside of cartoons.
>>
>>67794976
>There's millions of people on planet Earth and yet every James Bond movie is about James Bond
>>
>>67797261
>George Lucas tried to add depth to the world, and explore new things with the prequels
"Tried" being the operative word. The crux of the matter is that he did not do it well, at all.

Of course, Disneywood being the geniuses that they are, seem to have taken the lesson that trying new things is what made the prequels bad, in stead of flat acting, convoluted script, poor and overused CGI, poor attempts at humor, boring camerawork, ...
>>
>>67801402
He was great as Obi Wan.

It must have been hard to take an established character played by Alex Guinness and put his own spin on it.
>>
My dream Star Wars movie would probably be a naval strategy film staring Tarkin
>>
>Obi retires to the Dune Sea after delivering Luke to Lars and Beru

>blames himself for Anakin turning/the demise of the Jedi, turning to vice and debauchery as he ages and tries to kill the pain (think using the force to win bar fights and shit like that)

>falls in with Swoop Gang or Podracing circuit or something along those lines

>squares off against the Hutts and finally brings himself back to the good side, protecting the innocent yada yada yada

>communicates with Qui Gon via force ghost on more than one occasion

>inundated with cameos from background characters in original cantina scene

>pointless scene that takes place at Toshi's station and involves acquisition of power converters

>sand people fleshed out and shown as sympathetic beings with a vibrant and rich culture, instead of just being racist charactiteures

>See above replace with Jawas

>MacGregor not given the role, replaced by Michael B Jordan

There. Done. Easy. Gib monies pls Mouse.
>>
File: 1429693771140.jpg (24 KB, 488x488) Image search: [Google]
1429693771140.jpg
24 KB, 488x488
>>67805025
You're missing a major beat here.

How did Obi Wan manage to piss off Uncle Owen?
>>
>>67805025

Tfw this is as good as it's going to get
>>
>>67794980
I would love this but it will never happen.

because of
>>67794976
>>
>>67794976
>new story about obi wan visiting multiple planets and making new friends whilst on the search for jedi and fighting the empire

would be awesome as a tv show, if you want to flesh out the universe that is
>>
>>67805025
>sand people fleshed out and shown as sympathetic beings with a vibrant and rich culture, instead of just being racist charactiteures
Fuck off they are dirty sand niggers and deserve nothing but death by Lightsaber
>>
File: $_1.jpg (31 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
31 KB, 300x400
>What the hell would it even be about?

Keeping baby Luke a secret with the power of the force and fighting against the end of Order 66 in futility whilst banging hot alien bitches because there's no Jedi Code no more.
>>
File: v1.jpg (131 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
v1.jpg
131 KB, 800x1200
>>67794833
>I want a star wars western

Unforgiven with Obi-Wan. He's sworn off of using his lightsaber/doing Jedi shit to watch over Luke and keep a low profile as "Ben" on Tatooine, but something forces his hand...
>>
>>67795219
No, you AREN'T the fan.

Good ole' George wanted to explore the expanded universe of Star Wars yet fans like you rejected his ideas and wanted to know more about preestablished characters when their story and all has been explained. Fuck off. You hinder George from his creativity and the reason he is known as a one-trick pony.
>>
>>67805373

Cue 2 hours of McGregor next to a baby monitor.
>>
>Obi taking care of babby Luke

mite be cute
>>
File: 2ps1y8g.jpg (222 KB, 800x391) Image search: [Google]
2ps1y8g.jpg
222 KB, 800x391
>>67794743
I'd like to see them try something else before doing Ben Kenobi on Tatooine though. The Mandalore Arc from Clone Wars would be nice to see on the big screen if done well.
>>
>>67794743
CGI creatures of Tatooine: the flick
>would watch
>>
>>67794976
I agree, but he's not exactly fighting sith or anything. He's just watching over Luke.
>>
>>67797464
>Moffet mocks vader for still believing in the Religion of the force
>Jedi are a religious order that believes in space jesus and use the force

I don't see what's wrong here. Plus, I'm pretty sure he already had plans for the prequels by the time of ESB, especially since he named it Episode V, and not Episode II.

Sure, I can't defend that it also was a money making scam, but I believe part of the reason was because he genuinely wanted to show people his world of Star Wars.
>>
>>67797261
>prequel apologists
absolutely disgusting
>>
>>67794976
The universe is secondary to the main story

If you want something different you gonna get a different universe.

Or do you want a movie set somewhere completely else in the SW universe with some SW references in the background. That would suck even harder than having the same story all the time
>>
>>67805066
nudging him towards piloting or something.
>>
>leaves Tatooine
>shenanigans ensue
>ends up on planet where time passes faster
>returns to Tatooine older
>>
>>67809419
For what purpose?
>>
>>67809481
>I don’t know how long he’s in the desert there, but it’s got to be twenty or thirty years.
>>
>>67809481
He's gotta look like Alec Guinness somehow.
>>
>>67794743

story ideas:

1- Obi Wan Yojimbo
2- Lone Kenobi and Luke
3- Kenobi, Kanata, and Ghost Qui-Gon team-up set during the Kessel Run
>>
>>67810434
I'd like all of the above.
>>
Old man and the desert
Would watch
>>
>>67801995
They've expanded on him more in the cartoons.
>>
>>67810434
4 - Obi Wan gets a job shoveling manure in Jabba's monster pit
>>
>Obi-Wan: You were the chosen one! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them. You were to bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness.

>Anakin Skywalker: [shouts] I hate you.

>Obi-Wan: You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you.
>>
>>67811067
Why didn't Obi become super best friends with Luke?

Also, how does Leia know him again?
>>
>>67811134
pls respond
>>
>>67811257
fuck off faggot this thread is dead
>>
not that anon, but i'll bite.

1- probably because guilt or he thought it prudent to stay at arms length.

2- that hasn't been told in the cinematic universe. it's cool, not everything has to be explained. leaves room for new stories. kinda like how did Han know Maz or Obi-Wan know about the Falcon.
>>
I'd be hyped as fuck for more of Ewan's Obi. He and Sheev carried the prequels on their backs, and both of them I'd be very happy to see more of.

If this was confirmed, with Ewan, fuck Episodes 8 and 9, his movies would be the real deal.
>>
>>67811376
N-no it isn't
>>
>>67794743
now disney will flow the market with star wars crap and eventually dry out the franchise

bravo mickey
>>
>>67794743
I would love to see Ewan McGregor without George Lucas in a SW film. I always felt like he was wasted in the prequels.
>>
>>67811134
Probably because he blames himself for Anakin, and doesn't want to fuck things up with Luke.
>>
>>67809504
Well, if you go for the low estimate of 20 years, that culd leave about a decade for him to do some shit before he finally settles down.
>>
>>67794743
Star Wars killed his career.
>>
>>67795046
They cant, cuz he's already a stormtrooper
>>
ONE QUARTER PORTION
Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.