[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
austin powers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 14
File: 5_powers_chest_hair.jpg (100 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
5_powers_chest_hair.jpg
100 KB, 720x576
why are the aesthetics of the third austin powers movie so different from the prequels?

i hate it.
>>
Gold member was a stupid character, and Beyonce is a racist nigger.
>>
Has there been any other good spoof movies since Austin Powers?
>>
>>67795064
Walk hard
>>
>>67795064
Epic Movie
>>
>>67795064
Spectre was a spoof of Craig's other Bond movies.
>>
>i used to think you're crazy
>....but now I see you're/your nuts
>ah thank ya

my favorite joke in the entire series. Came out of nowhere i snorted so hard
>>
>>67794859
>black ppl
>racist
try again.
>>
>>67795098
Friedberg and Seltzer are bad and you should be shot.
>>
>>67795258
Nice bait m8.
>>
Dr. Evil and Mini Me's eyes are distractingly blue in 3. They're not like that in the prior films.
>>
It suffers from copy degradation. The second movie copied a lot of jokes from the first movie but at the same time it came up with its own things. The third movie copied a lot from the second movie but increased elements the second movie added rather than try and find its own voice, and at the same time it didn't carry over elements from the first movie. Watch the first and second or the second and third in a row and it works naturally enough, but watch the first and third one after another and it feels completely different.
>>
these movies were stupid
even james bond movies were making fun of james bond movies a decade before this shit
humor for idiots and children
>>
AP4 when?
>>
>>67797033
never
>>
How did they go from two of the most attractive women to ever grace a cinema screen (not kidding in the slightest) to fucking Beyoncape? Other than that it is probably the funniest of the three, but damn, Austin powers is supposed to be about the eye candy as well
>>
The opening to the 3rd movie is the best 10 minutes of anything ever filmed. I fucking lose it when Steven Speilberg starts doing backflips.
>>
>>67796174
Most of the best humor in this movies has nothing to do with James bond. The characters Myers created are just funny as fuck, especially Austin
>>
I'm kind of worried that if I ever saw the first two movies again I would hate them because I'm not a horny 15 year old anymore ogling over the sex jokes and hot babes.
>>
>>67795064
Not Another Teen Movie
>>
>>67797175
The babes are still hot, I actually found them hotter when I was older. 2 holds up a lot better than 1 though, I will say that, but even 1 is watchable
>>
>>67797121
Diversity
>>
>>67797160
>idiots and children
which one are you?
>>
The GURU was a great movie by him

Anyone else see it
>>
File: dr implying.jpg (58 KB, 400x297) Image search: [Google]
dr implying.jpg
58 KB, 400x297
Dr. Evil is my favorite comedic villain ever
>>
>>67797249
Post something you consider great comedy. Go ahead, please
>>
>>67797306
just wanted to make sure
>>
>>67797249
I feel sorry for people when they go through a phase of taking life this seriously and not being able to laugh.
>>
>>67797175
ive seen the first 2 a million times, they never stop being funny.
this is the best scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTBHaSn8bmA
>>
>>67797278
His character has so many conflicting traits but somehow they all work together so well, kinda like Rodger in american dad but less wacky and sexual

This scene always kills me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1cRTW9AGVo
>>
>>67795064
A good amount but Walk Hard probably has the highest production value of any since Austin Powers.

I don't even like Austin Powers that much but it does exude a very fine amount of quality above other spoof movies.
>>
File: weaap-o3zc79.jpg (15 KB, 350x191) Image search: [Google]
weaap-o3zc79.jpg
15 KB, 350x191
>>67793617
>tfw you had a whole bag of shh press toy
>>
I still piss myself at the silhouette play and magic camera angels that make Austin look as if he does disgusting shit.

>that scene when the operators think Austin is pissing in one of their fellow's mouth
>>
>>67797249
>reddit and tumblr
Which one are you?
>>
>>67797438
the pissing statue scenes, as well as the shadows inside the tent are some of the best parts.
modern comedy movies dont even try anymore.
>>
>My father would womanize, he would drink
>He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark
>Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy
>>
Would the series have been better or worse had Jim Carrey played Dr. Evil as originally planned?
>>
>>67797741
Considering the character was based off a Lorne Michaels, which JC had no experience working with, probably worse.
>>
>>67797540
Modern comedy is mainly just DUDE WEED or I'M ADAM SANDLER AND THIS IS MY KIND OF SHOUTING BUT ALSO INDOORS COMEDY VOICE!
>>
>>67793617
due to beyonces contract, austing couldnt sexualize her, or make her his bitch.

this is what was wrong with it. there was no "bond girl"
>>
Goldmember is amazing

>There are two things I can't stand in this world: People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch
>>
File: original.jpg (23 KB, 720x368) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
23 KB, 720x368
>>67798303
MY WINKY WAS A KEY
>>
HIS FAAAHJAAH
>>
File: hammster.jpg (212 KB, 500x424) Image search: [Google]
hammster.jpg
212 KB, 500x424
>>67795084
this. Walk Hard is brilliant parody because it has original characters and not every joke is a reference
>>
Original Austin powers was great. Vanessa was best girl. Comfiest movie of the series. It was a parody of James Bond. Goldmember was a parody of Austin Powers. Too many references to the the series itself, too many pop culture references, worst girl of the series. Trying too hard overall. Wasn't comfy at all. 2 was sort of in-between both of them.
>>
>>67797175
I'm a girl and I found these movies funny despite not having interest in women.
>>
File: 1254009148689.jpg (17 KB, 470x376) Image search: [Google]
1254009148689.jpg
17 KB, 470x376
>there are people browsing this board that weren't alive when Austin Powers came out
>>
>>67798945
>there are people browsing this board that weren't alive when Robin Williams died
>>
>>67798945
>tfw had a magazine print of Austin cut out and hanged in my room
he always made me feel cool as a kid
>>
>>67793617
>the prequels
There were no prequels to Austin Powers.

A prequel is a film that takes place before another film but was produced after that film. The Austin Powers films were produced in chronological order.
>>
File: 1459405071944.gif (3 MB, 359x202) Image search: [Google]
1459405071944.gif
3 MB, 359x202
>>67799008
>there are people browsing this board
>>
>>67798945
>>67799008
Not to derail the thread or anything, but does anyone else find it unnecessary to shit on Robin Williams (both before and after his death)? I know he can be annoying but since when was he detrimental to comedy in any way? I saw that episode of Family Guy the other night where Peter turns everybody into Robin, and I couldn't help thinking how hypocritical it was to not only acknowledge how beloved and funny most of his movies were while still shitting on him as a comedian, but to also do so on one of the most repetitive and annoying shows still going strong.

You can't say it was all in jest or good humor, because the only thing less funny than a bad joke from Robin is a bad joke about Robin.
>>
>>67797566
It's even funnier in text
>>
>>67799242
He was notorious for stealing material

>>67798303
>>67798678
>>67798721
Only laughs in the third movie right here
>>
Austin Powers is a perfect example of the visual medium of film being used for comedy in a way that modern comedy movies don't.

Don't get me wrong--the talky bits in Austin Powers are some of the funniest shit ever written, but the visual comedy that these movies played lovingly with--the shadow play, the perspective shit where Austin is pissing in a guy's mouth, the machine gun jubblies, the long vehicle in the tight hallway, the aesthetic of the whole thing--it's just perfect.

Modern comedy rarely, and I mean rarely, ever treats the medium of film as a tool or an easel. Nowadays it's mostly just people doing stand-up for 2 hours, shit that could have easily been done on a podcast or on stage.

That said, there's some really great movies that use visuals to their fullest (Walk Hard, Tropic Thunder, the Simon Pegg/Nick Frost trilogy) that were released in the last 10 years, but it's getting harder and harder to find a good funny movie that isn't just DUDE WEED LMAO and talking and shit.
>>
HEY ASSHOLE IT'S ME MINI ME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFhrc32kF6E
>>
>>67799424
holy shit you said it perfectly.

I wish mike myers would come back to comedy

RIP his career. :(
>>
>>67795064
Kingsman: The Secret Service
>>
File: Domino mutha-.gif (985 KB, 474x189) Image search: [Google]
Domino mutha-.gif
985 KB, 474x189
For all my homies In Bruges
>>
>>67799424
I wish James Franco and Seth Rogan would get fucking cancer already. They have decimated the medium almost singlehandedly for comedy.
>>
>>67799325
From what I've seen of his stolen material, it's all just old jokes rattling around in his brain that he can't help but spit out. People always say the stolen joke is shit anyway, meaning nobody wants to claim them anyway. I'm not saying his standup is good (I don't like it), just that shitting on him for having bad jokes or being annoying is a waste of time and never funny, especially when it's done as blatantly as Family Guy did by just aping him for laughs the show could never get either way.
>>
>>67798875

ya
>>
>>67795064
Black Dynamite
>>
>>67797106
Honestly that's a good thing, it's been way too long and Myers lost his spark when he made Love Guru.
>>
>>67799947
This tbqhwyf. One of the best spoof movies with so much content you can watch it again and again and still notice something new.
>>
>>67798875
I find them all comfy, Dr Evil in jail was great. The thing that brings Goldmember down the most isn't just the references, it's that their increased focus has left them heavily dated now. The first two weaved them contextually into the movie, or at least were more subtle about it.
>>
>>67795064
Don't be a Menace
>>
>>67799947
This

>>67799485
kek
>>
>>67799424
From what I've seen modern American comedy is mostly actors overreacting to something wacky or alarming happening.

>something wacky or alarming happens
>4 minutes of OH MY GOD HOLY FUCKING SHIT BALLS DID THAT JUST REALLY HAPPEN!? LET ME EXPLAIN IN DETAIL WHAT JUST TRANSPIRED WHILST YELLING!
>>
>>67800442
That's it's always sunny in Philadelphia in a nutshell
>>
throw me a frickin' bone here scotty
>>
File: philly.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
philly.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>67800552
>>67800442
>>
File: dennispp.jpg (30 KB, 692x399) Image search: [Google]
dennispp.jpg
30 KB, 692x399
>>67801057
>>
File: alotta-fagina.jpg (24 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
alotta-fagina.jpg
24 KB, 500x333
Don't mind me just posting best AP girl
>>
Austin Powers 1 is simply one of the greatest spoofs/comedies of all time. I never trust anyone who doesn't "get" it.

Austin Powers 2 is more of the same, good but not great.

Goldmember is terrible except for the great intro.
>>
>>67798904
Hang around 4chan a bit longer and you can add 'yet' to the end of that sentence.
>>
>>67798904
>>67803325
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N

please be in london
>>
The first one is still great. In the sequels the characters got even more cartoonish and they dialed up the toilet humour. They were hilarious when I was 13 but they don't hold up well. Especially not Goldmember.
>>
>DIN DIN!
>I WANT CHICKEN
>I WANT LIVER
>MEOW MIX MEOW MIX
>PLEASE DELIVER
>>
Basil Exposition
>>
I hated Austin Powers. Everyone in my class quoted it and giggled like faggots SHAGGADELIC OH BEHAAAAAVE RRRRRRIGHT but I could't get into it. And yes I had no friends.
>>
>>67802300
Frustrated the fuck out of me that we never got to see them tittes mayne
>>
File: 51q2KmCrFjL.jpg (19 KB, 325x500) Image search: [Google]
51q2KmCrFjL.jpg
19 KB, 325x500
>>67799062
>tfw had this
>>
>>67795084
GET OUT OF HERE DEWY
YOU DON'T WANT NONE OF THIS SHIT

I think I want it
>>
File: 91fAQqJH1FL._SY450_.jpg (47 KB, 291x450) Image search: [Google]
91fAQqJH1FL._SY450_.jpg
47 KB, 291x450
>>67806192

i had the Austin version

i also owned the Austin and Dr.Evil vocalizers
>>
>>67797175
I remember actually watching the 3rd movie again and actually finding it funnier than the first time I saw it. They're just great.
>>
>>67795932
That's all Myers does, repeat the same thing over and over, and there's hardly any variation between his characters.
>>
>>67798678

I've seen this movie a dozen times but reading that line in text was the only time I laughed at that line.
>>
>>67806192
I still have one of those.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.