[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>you now remember that period from the mid 90s to the mid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: will smith.jpg (149 KB, 700x380) Image search: [Google]
will smith.jpg
149 KB, 700x380
>you now remember that period from the mid 90s to the mid 00s where Will Smith was the biggest box office draw

How did he derail his career so badly?
>>
>>67776641
By being the same character in every movie.

He's going to ruin Suicide Squad as well, it is insulting to call him and Jada Smith actors.
>>
>>67776641
He already achieved everything an actor could do with Pursuit of Happiness so he's not trying anymore.
>>
>>67776641
He had kids
>>
-People started to get bored of his schtick

-chose several bad blockbuster projects

-some extremely blatant Oscar bait that ended up being terrible movies

-trying to force his kids into stardom

-After Earth (partially connected to the above point)
>>
>>67776641
same thing that will happen to everyone else

they got old

but he's still a pretty big draw in the right role
>>
>10 years being a box office draw
>his career has since "derailed"

Tell me of another actor that has been on top for that long
>>
He didn't, there are just FOTM actors.

Christian Bale and Michael Fassbender are the most recent examples.
>>
>>67776641
growth of the international market which hates black people
>>
>>67776641
His controlling bitch monster wife ruined his career and his children
>>
Will Smith has never been in a great movie. Sure good movies, but nothing he's been in has ever been over the top. He's always just been that guy in all those movies you remember.
>>
>>67776641
He didn't. His fucking weird kids did that for him
>>
He kept forcing his son on us. A son that lacks all of Wills charisma, acting ability and talent
>>
>>67777064
Divorce is a thing, mister project-o. Nigger shouldn't have been such a pussy-ass doormat.
>>
>>67776641
>WELCUM TA ERFF
>>
>>67777072
>nothing he's been in has ever been over the top

Wild Wild West wasn't over-the-top?
>>
>>67776641
While he made some moderately entertaining movies, I never saw his appeal. He's not handsome, and he's not a very good actor. He's just a generic, mildly amusing black guy. It was also hard to take him seriously after Fresh Prince.
>>
File: 1453296781749.png (12 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
1453296781749.png
12 KB, 493x402
>This is a message for my wife
>I have lost connection to the box office
>>
>>67777154
Why would he divorce her if he loves her? Doesn't change the fact that she's clearly controlling and dominates Will's personal and professional choices, she made him boycott the Oscars because he didn't get nominated
>>
>>67777143
He was incredible in The Karate Kid

>>67777072
Men In Black was great
>>
Yeah right he had fresh prince and independence day, he's no deniro
>>
>>67776641
I think he just had such a pile of money he just decided to do thing that he wanted rather than do thing that would get him a big paycheck.

Like 7 pounds, The Pursuit of Happyness, etc, and now Suicide Squad. I think he just wants to do fun shit....and I don't see a problem with that. If he died in a car accident tomorrow his entire family would be taken care of financially FOR LIFE.
>>
EARF
>>
Fresh Prince was shit and you know it, if it came out today you'd be saying how Reddit it is and how it's worse than The Big Bang Theory.
>>
>>67776795
partially my ass, he literally made that whole shit up to launch his faceless son, no other purpose than that, not even money.
>>
Middle aged black men are not a draw.

Smith does the best he can in the current market.
>>
>>67777322
(You)
>>
>>67777329
His faceless son that is more concerned with being his daughter.
>>
>>67777239
The CGI and comedy have aged like shit. '90's comedies had a certain rhythm that wouldn't work today. That's why The Big Lebowski flopped 20 years ago but today is a beloved classic.
>>
>>67777359
Why not just retire?
>>
>Avoids going behind bars because of gang related activities
>Ends up in a gated community anyway

Is the opening theme the best joke ever in The Fresh Prince? The Irony is wonderful.
>>
>>67777403

Chasing the dragon of relevancy.
Money.
Why everyone else is still hustling in Hollyweird.
>>
>>67776641

Django Unchained did pretty well though
>>
>>67777403
Because complacency is a disease.

Basement dwellers don't get that.
>>
>>67777022
>Christian Bale
>FOTM actor

pro-tip: just because you learned about Bale from the Batman movies that doesn't mean that that's when he rose to prominence.
>>
>>67777403
If you actually enjoy acting, you never retire.
If you're greedy enough, you never retire.

I prefer to believe they're doing it for the first reason.
But the second is understandable.
Especially if you're looking to pass on wealth to your children/grandchildren.
>>
>>67777322
I'm not an edgy contrarian trying to make /pol/ proud in me, so no I wouldn't.
>>
File: Chaika.webm (2 MB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Chaika.webm
2 MB, 960x720
>>67777528
>>
>>67776641
>not liking I Am Legend
>>
>>67777713

Heston's version was better but a bit too campy, Vincent Price's version is THE SHIT, it just captures the tone of isolation perfectly.
>>
>>67777713
it wasn't really bad, just could've been waaay better
more of a rip-off than an actual adaptation, wich is disgusting since comic books are easily adaptable to movies
>>
>>67776854
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Clint Eastwood, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Marlon Brando, Harrison Ford, John Wayne, Liam Neeson, Samuel L Jackson, Bruce Willis, Matt Damon, Michael J Fox, Sean Connery, Christopher Lee, Gary Oldman, Nicholas Cage, Jack Nicholson, Johnny Depp, Roger Moore, Leonardo DiCaprio, Michael Douglas, Robert Redford, Bill Murray, John Travolta, Dustin Hoffman, Leslie Nielsen, Eddie Murphy, Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, Chevy Chase, Jackie Chan, Charles Bronson, Tommy Lee Jones, Richard Geere, Ernst Borgnine, Jeff Bridges, Hugh Jackman, Daniel Craig, Christian Bale, Ben Affleck, Kevin Costner, Dennis Hopper ... well, you get the picture.
>>
>>67777713
But why did they have to use the name of the book to make that piece of shit?
>>
>>67778235
Isn't that what he does for a living? Corrupting characters by changing their race and making cheap cash-ins based on famous books, like I, Robot?
>>
>>67778155
This list is bullshit, to begin with Jim Carrey was only a box office draw from 95-03
>>
>>67776641
His son is to blame, did you see After Earth? Go watch it and come back to sweet ol /tv/ and let us know what you think.
>>
>>67778235
Baby don't worry
>>
>>67777713
I would have actually liked it at least as much as Omega Man if they'd kept the original ending in, instead of giving it a horrible suicide-bomber ending because of psychotic test audiences.
>>
>>67776641
He married a cunt
>>
>>67778439
Ace Ventura, his most celebrated comedic role: 1994.
Eternal Sunshine, Oscar winner and his most celebrated dramatic role: 2004.
>>
>>67777274

you would have to be a moron to read a script like 7 pounds and go "gee that's totally not retarded I'll do it"

the funniest thing about that movie was how he killed himself with the jellyfish to donate his organs, without realizing dying in such a manner would make his organs unharvestable because the blood in them would be riddled with neurotoxin.
>>
File: whiteman.jpg (201 KB, 634x951) Image search: [Google]
whiteman.jpg
201 KB, 634x951
>>67776641
this
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.