[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>love most of his work >realized i haven't seen anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (26 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
26 KB, 500x282
>love most of his work
>realized i haven't seen anything new recently
>look at his Wikipedia page
>there is a while heading dedicated to his panel show appearances
What the fuck has happened to UK, where if you show the slightest talent they stick you on the panel show circuit for the rest of your life? Him and Richard Ayoade are some of my favorite writers, and yet despite all their success, they are doing fuck all with it.
>>
>>67764627
they are too rich now

they do not live to please you, but to please them
>>
>>67764644
>they do not live to please you, but to please them
Presumably they had some drive when they were making their early, amazing stuff, just thought they might have been the sort to actually use it and make projects that want.
>>
>>67764627
the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long

(though I think it is a very british thing to not overdo it when it comes to a lot of comedy shows)
>>
>>67764776
Yeah, i can understand not making "That Mitchell & Webb Look Season 11", but to pretty much just quit and make unremarkable crap after working (presumably) hard to actually make it, seems crazy to me.
>>
>>67764627
To be fair. I think a lot of it has to do with them not wanting to do a lot of his projects as well.

Why spend millions making a show that has a big chance to fail when you can make a shitty looking set and stick a few comedians in there and make bank instead.

That and he said he really likes doing panel shows, well paid, easy, and a lot of fun to do since you are pretty much just sitting around joking with your mates.
>>
>>67764627
>Him and Richard Ayoade are some of my favorite writers
Based on what?
Mitchell's writing sucks.
>>
>>67765226
Has he even done any writing since his sketch shows?

And well, his books, read his autobiography, thought it was pretty fun, for a biography about a random guy at any rate.
>>
>>67764644

They have forced diversity that they need to get funding to make anything

you are going to see more period dramas with a strange diverse cast for the time period
>>
"did you take my sausage jeremy"
>>
>>67764710
You're actually asking for quantity over quality?
>>
One of the rare comedians actually funny on both QI and that shitfest Mock The Week. Usually it's one or the other or neither
>>
Mitchel is the kind of man that grew up wanting to host a radio 4 panel show, he's living his dream.
>>
>>67765374
I want to see more of their work, not more of M&WL or Darkplace, etc, just them making stuff that isn't a fucking panel show or them bumming around being filmed on a holiday.
>>
>>67765441
1) Good ideas are rare
2) Good ideas take a lot of effort to develop
3) Both your examples are getting older and have families to devote themselves to
4) Both have clear interests outside of making TV which they are doing
5) They don't need the money

If you were in their situation what would you do?
>>
>>67764627
The money for panel shows is supposed to be amazing, Jeremy Clarkson used to comment on it often that they would hand him a massive check to be on Have I Got News For You. Presumably the others are the same
>>
>>67764627

Both Ayoade and Mitchell are very fun people but they are too gimmicky and one trick most of the time.

I like both of their appearances on 8 Out of 10 Cats does Countdown.
>>
>>67766499
>Jeremy Clarkson used to comment on it often that they would hand him a massive check to be on Have I Got News For You.
Source? Genuinely keen to see what he said.
>>
does he really hate lee mack?
>>
>>67766630
It was in his books that collected his columns can't remember which ones but he commented a few times in seperate articles and always came across as stunned about how much they would give him for reading an autocue. Was as frank about it as he usually is
>>
While mitchell has declined, ayoade has become a legitimate director. Submarine is a fun take on the coming of age cliche, and The Double was a perfectly competant movie with a couple of big stars. Shame he is exclusively doing fucking gadget man on C4 now.
>>
>>67766714
Was worried that would have been the case, cheers anyway
>>
>>67765409
That

Also he does have a kid now
>>
File: vlcsnap-3815170.jpg (15 KB, 400x221) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-3815170.jpg
15 KB, 400x221
>>
overrated desu. he's pretty funny but he hasn't actually made anything good since like 2010. not sure how 'talented' he is considering some peep show episodes were pretty terrible.
he's nowhere near as good as someone like armando iannucci.
>>
>>67767175
And then I'd go spoil it all by saying something stupid like "I like you"
>>
>>67767389
He doesn't write peep show, just acts in it
>>
>>67764776
>(though I think it is a very british thing to not overdo it when it comes to a lot of comedy shows)
clearly you havnt seen season 6-9 of peep show
>>
>>67764627

>Richard Ayoade
>the unfunny cunt who everyone thinks is funny because he was on the IT crowd
>another unfunny show

You're ignorance and pleb tastes aside anon, these comedy panel shows are comfortable viewing, low-budget, family friendly and easy to make. Very, very easy. If you're a celeb and you haven't been on tv in a couple of days, comedy panel shows are gagging to have you on. In fact, some celebs have built entire careers out panel shows appearances. 'Never Mind The Buzzcocks' ran 20 years, whenever things got stale, they'd alternate hosts. Peep Show, albeit not high-budget, had 12 years or thought and development put into it, yet only produced 54 episodes. Making anything good takes time, effort and money with no necessary return. Why make good tv when you can pander to the lowest common denominator
>>
>>67767880
>IT Crowd
>not Darkplace or Man to Man with Dean Learner
That aside, i understand why the producers love it, just don't get what happens to people who started in the business for a reason, only to end up in a stale as fuck, restricted as fuck format, leaving fuck all to their name. Honestly, is any of their runs going to be remembered as well as their proper stuff?
>>
>>67766659
Nah, that's obviously just a setup for them to make jokes about. They're clearly friend irl
>>
I actually like the panel shows. I think they're a nice setup for the cast to make witty comments and shit. Some of the guests are piss poor, but guys like David make it worth it.

I can see the appeal in shooting panel shows. Real TV filming has horrible shooting hours, which can be pretty bad if you have family. A panel show is just a one day thing, and you get decent money.
>>
>>67764627
Unscripted shows are the cheapest and quickest thing to make.
The host may have some scripted responses but that's all the writing required.
>>
>>67769153
What the fuck is going to be the legacy of UK comedy from the last 5-10 years or so? Panel shows went from being niche in number to prime time it seems, but no one will really remember the (maybe) one amazing joke from each episode of those shows, you know?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.