[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remind me again why people hate this movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 15
File: just do it.jpg (26 KB, 400x361) Image search: [Google]
just do it.jpg
26 KB, 400x361
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeFZXNDz7uA

One day, people will recognize it for the masterpiece it is.
>>
bıll wılsön
>>
File: 1317160222581.jpg (18 KB, 456x383) Image search: [Google]
1317160222581.jpg
18 KB, 456x383
>that terrible MANLY TEARS AM I RIGHT??? orchestral score
>Jackie Earle Haley, for some reason, has forgotten how to act when he was doing just fine throughout the whole movie
>that terrible NOOOOOO from Nite Owl
>the cringy Rorschach blood splatter

This scene was proof that even back then Snyder was a supreme hack.
>>
It's awful. I think at one point, some real comic fan told Zach Snyder how Watchmen was one of the best comics out there. And then after that Snyder would tell everyone of his 'patrician taste' and how they had no idea what comics were about. All the while Snyder never really understood what Watchmen was about and instead decided to be a smug asshole. And then he realized he could gain a global audience to show how good his taste was. Something like that.

All of his stuff is all overly serious trying to say "if you don't like this you only stuff for brain dead idiots." Except all of his things are boring, preachy, self indulgent garbage that has no style or substance. I'm tired of the man of steel and batman vs superman trolling because anyone who likes that shit is the actual brain dead retard.
>>
>>67752195
but I like it a lot

one of the best superhero flicks
>>
>>67752407
all i know is you have poor taste
>>
>>67752195
i'm holding out hope for the directors cut of BvS

Watchmen and MoS are literal capekino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3SLLEzkG8c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p5-14rjWUM
>>
>>67752195
Because Zack Snyder duh
>>
>>67752407
>>67752407
>that terrible MANLY TEARS AM I RIGHT??? orchestral score

weak b8

>Jackie Earle Haley, for some reason, has forgotten how to act when he was doing just fine throughout the whole movie

This is his best scene, you fool

>>that terrible NOOOOOO from Nite Owl

That's probably one of the few "NOOOO"s that doesn't sound terrible

>the cringy Rorschach blood splatter

Pretty sure that was in the comic, too
>>
I dont get the hate for this movie. Not even a fan of the comics but this movie was great.
>>
>>67752516
no one cares marissa, reddit misses you
>>
>>67752195
Great movie. Jeffrey Dean Morgan was based as fuck in it.
>>
pussy liberals hate it
>>
>>67752195
>another Rorschach fanboy

Just because he isn't able to compromise doesn't mean he is right. He was puerile fool and met the end he had coming.

and read the graphic novel
>>
>>67752706
>weak b8
It was too over the top; instead of just letting the scene speak for itself, it had to have this overblown LOOK THIS IS SAD THIS IS INTENSE D-DON'T YOU FEEL BAD song. It's a pretty minor nitpick compared to the others, but it just felt like it was trying way too hard.

>This is his best scene, you fool
His best scenes were his jail scenes, retard.

>That's probably one of the few "NOOOO"s that doesn't sound terrible
NOOOOO scenes are always cringey, but a good actor and director can do their best to divert the cringe and make it more bearable. Snyder is not a good director, and Patrick Wilson was overacting. Again, the entire scene just felt like another needless way to hammer in the fact that we're watching something sad, as if the audience is too retarded to even grasp that.

And before you try to get autistic on me, I actually liked the change that Dan was there to see Rorschach die because the way it played out in the comics never sat well with me. But there were better ways to handle it and Snyder did it in the most hamfisted way possible.

>Pretty sure that was in the comic, too
It wasn't.
>>
>>67752195
>Yeah guys Watchmen is great just look at this scene!

>One of the worst scenes in the movie
>Completely misses the point of this moment
>Instead of Rorscharch dying alone in the snow, earning nothing but a quick and thankless removal for being the only one to stick to his moral convictions instead of selling himself to Veidt's flawed utopia, Nite Owl shows up for no reason other than to unironically scream no towards the sky

This is b8
>>
>>67753039
Out of any of them, Rorschach was the only one moral enough to stick to his guns and only one who actually recognized Veidt's plan in the movie as retarded.
>>
Watchmen is one of the only capeshit movies that actually has something to say.

You get these edgelords that will hate on it just because it has Snyders name attached to it.
Others hate it because it's not faithful to the comic.
And others hate it because its source material is a comic.

Patricians see the movie for what it is. A cult classic.
>>
File: comfy.jpg (193 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
193 KB, 1280x960
>>67752195
It's a pretty good movie, some really great moments, but some shitty moments. Snyder attempted to make it too action orientated and because of that it comes off feeling like some cheap dumb super hero movie. Though I suspect the blame falls on Warner bros

Pity, because there are lone bright spots. Just like Man of Steel, Snyder is too easily manipulated by the higher ups, but always has a great vision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZSj_UA9_u4

>>67753039
Rorschach's absolutism is admirable and the most honorable way of thinking, and Ozymadias's egalitarian utopia is based on a lie which will inevitably fall apart. All we have is righteousness, honor and the truth.
>>
>>67753039
But Rorschach is the only one who sticks to his moral conventions and doesn't sell himself out. He knows that humanity is too flawed for Veidt's plan to ever succeed, and he is right. Even an elaborate plan made by the world's smartest man can be undone in an instant by something so small as a teenager picking a journal out of the slush pile
>>
>>67753347
this
Snyder has made three great films in his career, i want to see his cut of BvS but it's doubtful
Watchmen and MoS are literally the best capeshit out there
>>
>>67753316
>moral enough
>>
>>67753297
>Not realizing that Veidt was right.
>Not realizing that Rorschach was the villain.

Are you mentally challenged buddy?
>>
>>67752195
Masterpiece? No.

But I liked it quite a bit.

>>67752407
Manly tears? He doesn't cry but sure he's got emotion in his voice. The music doesn't beat you over the head, sure it could be omitted or downplayed, but its not terrible.

Acting seems fine to me, night owls no is not terrible. I think maybe the falling to the knees or the fact that its so immediate might be off? But how the fuck do we know, its not like anyone has a frame of reference by which to judge.

>Rarschach blood spatter.
That is kinda goofy.
>>
Other than Dawn, its my fave Snyder movie
>>
>>67752516
>never understood what watchmen was about

Go to bed Alan. You can't steal from Super Folks anymore
>>
Loved this movie when it came out and whiteknighted it to the death, but now I recognize its flaws years later and understand what people meant when they said that an adaptation that was too faithful to the source material could be a problem.

It looks good and it definitely has all the beats of the graphic novel down, but it definitely values looks and style over substance and there's no real humanity to it. Snyder's idea of conveying emotion is throwing these grandiose orchestral scores and slow-mo around. Nothing about it is subtle or quiet. It's as loud and flashy as a cape movie can get.

It's so sad WB didn't just wait several more years to make it when cape shows are a big, viable thing now because this would have been great as a Netflix show or a miniseries. Hell, even a two-part movie would've been better. It really was too ambitious to work.
>>
>>67753455
>any character "right"
>any character being the "villain"

Go read the comic, boy
>>
>>67753455
>Veidt was right
>Not realizing the symoblism of him being named Ozymandias
>Not realizing the meaning of the last panel of the comic
>Not understanding the central theme of chaos undoing all things
>Not understanding the symbolism of the blood on the smiley face
>Not realizing his plan is going to come apart at the seams
>Calling me mentally challenged
>>
>>67753571
>>>/co/ a film needs to stand on it's own merits, it doesn't matter what the source material is. criticizing it because it changes something between mediums is retarded
>>
>>67753455
Rorschach was basically a big kid; Snyder tried to hide this.

His costume should have been rabbit pajamas with furry feet.
>>
>>67753565
Watchmen would have made a perfect Cape miniseries. Hell, just have Zach direct the first episode and produce it so it can keep his stylistic touches while other people direct and write the thing.
>>
Why were they talking about futa?
>>
>>67752195
>Ruining the sad and lonely ending where Kovacs takes off the Rorschach mask and speaks in his own voice for the first time in years by tacking on an overblown, melodramatic reaction from Dan because you think "audiences won't get that they were friends" otherwise.

Go back to bed Zach.
>>
>>67753473
The problem with this scene is that it sort of misses the point of his death in the comic. Rorschach spends the whole story being larger than life and unstoppable only to die an undignified, horrifying death in the snow, alone and broken. Like I said in an above post, Nite Owl seeing him die is a good change because it at least adds a resolution to their friendship, but it's not handled in a very poignant or subtle way and there's really no repercussions from it.

Dan goes inside and slaps Veidt around for a bit, then immediately forgets about Rorschach. It turned what could have been a very good, interesting change to another footnote that never really mattered.
>>
>>67753701
>for the first time in years
Kovacs spoke in his normal voice in the comics everytime he took the mask off, like in the ship and in prison.

But I get you
>>
File: 1449028862544.png (94 KB, 1445x695) Image search: [Google]
1449028862544.png
94 KB, 1445x695
the Watchmen motion comic is miles better than the movie. theres background music and everything. AND you get to hear the 3 best monologues set to an uneasy score and a guy who can do all the voices in really different ways

i recommend people checking it out if they havent already
>>
>>67752195
Because it's loud, stupid and misses the point completely. It grabs scenes from the book verbatim, without any consideration as to what they mean and why they worked.
Snyder is the worst kind of knucklehead, the kind who doesn't know how dumb he is.
>>
serious question, but why isn't rorschach considered a hero?

he's redpilled as fuck and insane, but it's not like that detracts from all the good he's done. people argue that him killing is a bad thing, but batman of murder in BvS kills people left and right and so did miller's batman in the dark knight returns. even now, people still complain that batman doesn't kill his criminals in the comics.

rorschach is basically batman without a pacifist code and we're meant to think he's terrible. why?
>>
>>67753987
Shut the fuck up you scatterbrained retard.
>>
>>67753579
>thinking Veidt of the comics is the same Veidt of the movie
>not realizing the significance of Dr.Manhattan killing Rorschach now he can see the future again
>not understanding that chaos and order are pendulum swings
>not realizing that it's an effective solution for the cold war
>confusing the comic with the movie
>implying he's not mentally challenged
>>
>>67753983
>misses the point completely
I see a lot of people saying that. What is the point of Watchmen?

Genuinely asking, I never read the comic
>>
>>67752195
>BIG
>BLUE
>DONG
>>
>>67753987
hes the tragic hero
>>
>>67754051
>i don't have an answer so fuck you derpity doo
>>
>>67752195
No fuck off
It's the perfect definition of soulless adaptation
>>
>>67752195
Whoever hate this movie is not people but a living free ad space.
>>
>>67753987
I don't think anyone is meant to see him as terrible, he only ever kills people who deserve it.

>>67753927
That picture, I don't recall that monologue in the games? I haven't played them in ages, but goddamn they were masterpieces, who ever wrote it should get more praise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DOKzTHaPfM
>>
>>67752195
>people on the internet hate everything
>Alan Moore hate big budget films
>>
If Bill Wilson get, Zack Snyder must by publicly castrated and his bloodline eradicated.
>>
>>67754124
>manhattan reformed himself without any foreskin

murrica
>>
>>67754243
a chick wrote it by the name of amy hennig. gamergate likes to ignore her works in gaming
>>
It's the best cape movie of all time.

That's pretty much like being the best looking in the Downs Syndrome class though.

>>67754324
Is Gamergate the feminist side or the 4chan one? I never bothered finding out.
>>
>>67752195
>rorschach tards

People who have never read the graphic novel.
>>
>>67754380
feminist side.....i think

shit now i dont know
>>
>>67754380
>>67754439
Gamergate is the 4chan guys. The ones that don't believe in the whole sexism in the industry and stuff.
>>
>>67754118
Not going to explain the whole comic to you, but the overarching theme of the story is humanity and how it can be impacted by becoming a hero. Rorschach is unstable and completely broken from following a black and white way of thinking. Dan is insecure and impotent unless he's in costume. Laurie's entire life has been dictated to her by her mom who treats the superhero business like a showmom would with acting or beauty pageants. Having godlike powers turned Doctor Manhatten into an emotionless creature who can't even connect with humans anymore. Being the smartest man in the world has left Adrian feeling like he's the only one who can save the world, but he's tormented because he knows it would turn him into a villain. And so on.

On top of this, the comic values quiet, intimate moments with background characters and the protagonists just sitting and reflecting on the world around them to convey emotion. None of it has to be flashy or loud to get the point across. Rorschach's death is especially noteworthy for doing this because he has an entire novel's worth of characterization and backstory to build him up, along with the quiet tone the comic's been building up until now, so when he finally does take his mask off and scream at Manhatten to kill him it comes across as shocking and poignant because this is the first time we've really seen the effects of how broken his life is. His death has zero fanfare. He dies an awful death, completely alone while Dan and Laurie are too busy fucking to really care to look or ask where he is because they're so wrapped up in their own pain.

tl;dr: the comic is quiet and takes its time letting things build up, the movie isn't.
>>
>>67754577
I feel the movie should be judged as a movie, rather than by a comic though. Don't get me wrong, the comic is better, but I still think the movie is damn good.

I do prefer the movie prison scene before Owl shows up though.
>>
>>67754577
>the comic is quiet and takes its time letting things build up, the movie isn't.

The comic starts with the comedian getting killed and Rorschach breaking some guys fingers.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA

No dissonance here people. Move along.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA
>>
File: 1453775032974.gif (4 MB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
1453775032974.gif
4 MB, 400x224
>>67754962
Have you read the comic dude?
>>
>>67753383
>All we have is righteousness, honor and the truth.

None of those are even real things though.
>>
File: watchmen-page-1.jpg (413 KB, 907x1438) Image search: [Google]
watchmen-page-1.jpg
413 KB, 907x1438
>>67754999

Have you?
>>
>>67754577
The comic doesn't matter. The movie itself can have different theme and dialogue for all it wants, it isn't the movie and to judge it based off the comic is reddit level of tard
>>
>>67755045
Yes they are, truth is very real. Truth transcends all things.

>>67755080
Yes I have, it's incredibly melancholic and slow paced. Anon is right.
>>
File: watchmen-page-2.jpg (155 KB, 450x690) Image search: [Google]
watchmen-page-2.jpg
155 KB, 450x690
>>67754999
And here's page 2.

See how slowly it builds. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA
>>
>>67755175
It's only slow paced if you're a slow reader.
>>
>>67755175
topkek
>>
>>67755201
>WORDSWORDSWORDS

why do people read western comics?
>>
>>67755129
Except the movie goes out of its way to try to be as accurate to the comic as possible. That was the major selling point. It absolutely should be judged because if Snyder had done his own thing like Nolan had with The Long Halloween/Killing Joke through The Dark Knight Returns, it would be different.
>>
>>67755201
You don't understand what he was saying. It's a slow climb toward the eventual conclusion, it builds characters, their motives and feelings, and is eventually solved in the end. It does through very melancholic

>>67755242
Well I guess anything can be fast or slow paced depending on how you read. But I mean it's both literally and not literally slow, ideas and characters grow and build and the comic allows for this to occur through quiet moments.
>>
>>67755373
adaptations are no excuse period . opinion discarded
>>
>>67754577
Rorschach has plenty of "quiet intimate moments" in the movie version. The others got shafted.
>>
>>67755411

Sorry buddy, a story that starts in the middle of a murder investigation is the opposite of a slow build.

It's literally the opposite.

LITERALLY THE OPPOSITE
>>
>>67752195
because we read the comic
>>
>>67753297
>>67753774
>>67753983
>>67754577
>>67754221
>it misses the """"""point""""""
>MUH COMICS

this is a MOVIE board, retards
>>
>>67752195
It's literally fedoras:the movie
>Rorschach is misanthropic
>OMG SO DEEP HE"S SO RIGHT HUMANS IS PARASITES
>Ozymandias did nothing wrong!
>>
>>67752516
>a woman has shit taste and has no idea what she's talking about

Wow, I'm so surprised
>>
Just watched it again today, i only watched on theatres when it cme out and its breyty gud, i dont know what the difference is to the directors cut but i liked it, i didnt remember they changed the ending tho, in the novel Ozy creates a fucking mutant tentacled blob and uses it as a fasle flag for an alien invation.

an 8-10 overall and its one of my top 3 comic book stories ever.

You know what could Marvel do to take that step towards a more artsy fartsy tone? they should adapt the Marvels novel... now THAT would be fucking awesome if they dont fuck it up.
>>
>>67755512
Seriously, why are women even allowed on this site?
>>
>>67755512
It's literally the opposite of fedora.

There is at no point a m'lady moment in that comic or movie.

You're projecting yourself onto it. Your fedora is showing buddy. Get your shit together.
>>
>>67755512
If anything it's "Edgelord: the movie."
>>
>let me make a shot for shot remake of the comic despite the fact that what works in a comic doesn't automatically work in film, and despite the fact that what made the comic interesting is how it plays with the form itself
The film has none of the dissection, irony, or intelligence of the comic.
>>
>>67756400
The comic was literally constructed and structured like a movie, you dip
>>
>>67756471
Except that it wasn't, you fucking faggot. It was very deliberately intended to be a comic, hence how it plays with the form by including a comic within the comic and the excerpts from articles within the universe.
>>
File: 69c0.jpg (121 KB, 551x937) Image search: [Google]
69c0.jpg
121 KB, 551x937
>>67753774
>slaps Veidt around

Well, hey, the original script actually had Dan KILL Adrian to avenge Rorschach.
>>
>>67757317

BOOMERANG OWL WING

BRAVO SNYDER
>>
>>67752195
its literally ALL memes
>>
>>67752195
It's embarassing because even though it's nearly a shot for shot remake of the comic it completely misses the point of the comic.
>>
>>67753347
I really don't get how people can say it isn't faithful to the comic book apart form the ending. It's almost a panel-to-shot translation, you couldn't really get much closer to a film adaptation of Watchmen.
>>
File: 1457553247586.png (189 KB, 317x334) Image search: [Google]
1457553247586.png
189 KB, 317x334
>People keep talking about the movie's accuracy to the comic
>When Snyder injected loud, stupid fight scenes where the powerless people are punching people across rooms and snapping bones in half
>And decided the theatrical cut needed a two minute long slow motion scene of Laurie and Dan boning, a scene that didn't exist in the comics, only the aftermath was shown, instead of the first Nite Owl getting killed
>And replaces the ending with an event that would cause humanity to gang up on America, not against an outside threat
>>
>>67752195
>editing the clip so it cuts off half of the best moment of the movie in the start instead of going right to the part it's actually supposed to show
>>
>>67757930
This.
The lack of the original night owl's death hurt it a whole lot, especially considering the cut footage itself was fucking perfect.
>>
>>67757669
I used to think like this too until I re-read the comic and watched the movie again.

Being 100% faithful is not necessarily a good thing. There are some things that only work in comics/books that may not translate well to film, and vice versa. Good directors and screenwriters understand this. Look at The Shining and Jurassic Park; they omitted or outright changed several very important parts or characters from their books.

Watchmen isn't a bad movie, but you can't put it on equal footing with the comic. I wouldn't call it soulless, but it really does lack the humanity and poignancy the graphic novel had.
>>
File: 1318100536326.jpg (106 KB, 269x400) Image search: [Google]
1318100536326.jpg
106 KB, 269x400
>67752516
>>
Why didn't doctor manhattan multiply himself a billion times and force humanity to live in peace?
>>
>>67752195
huh, his blood splatter kinda looks like a rorschach test
>>
>>67752195
Everything good about it has been lifted from the comic without any understanding from the director of the underlying motifs and themes.
>>
>>67752407
Nite Owl didnt even like Rosharch theres no reason for him to be so upset
>>
>>67752195
I didn't hate the movie and I never read the comics, but this scene sucked. Nite Owl should not have been in the scene. His NOOOOOOOOOOOO is fucking stupid and insulting. It's literally TELLING us to be sad.
>>
rorshack was cast terribly. He looks the part in stills, but in motion he overacts his ass off. The character in the comic was basically deadpan. A completely broken human being. His death in the comic was the only time he showed emotion.
>>
>>67759294
He was probably the best part of the movie. It's fine that he's a lot more angry and tense than he was in the comic. That I can accept.

It just all seems to fall apart in his death scene.
>>
>>67752195
I didn't need to be made.
>>
>>67755503
>multiple quotes
>obvious brain damage
>enjoys zack snyder's "films"
Welp, you lost the genetic lottery.
>>
>>67752195
fuck off charles
>>
>>67755584
Notice how every mutant defending this tripe types like a 14 year old negroid.
>>
>>67759227
>there's no reason for someone to be upset that a big blue smurf is obliterating someone because he disagrees with him
The whole thing is kinda sort of about morality, it's no wonder watchmen actually goes over the typical capeshit fans head
>>
>there is no chance that WB will do anything further with Watchmen since the movie didn't make a ton of money at the box office
>no Telltale or Rocksteady game starring Rorschach that takes place before the movie/comic; instead we have to live with The End Is Nigh
>no well-written, interesting prequel about Nite Owl and Rorschach and the rest of the Crimebusters fighting weird criminals and dealing with their day to day dysfunctions penned by actual talented writers; instead we have to live with Before Watchmen
>no chance of it ever being revived as a show or miniseries

i-is this what it feels like to mourn, /tv/?
>>
>>67759581
Are you kidding? After the BvS disaster they will be scraping that barrel for shit to cheaply churn out to make money.
We'll have a Young Watchmen reboot within 5 years. On CW.
>>
>>67756400
Of course it doesn't. The fact that he disregarded all the foreshadowing about the tentacle rape monster, the genetics experiments, the advancements in tech, the fact that the comedian was completely distraught at what he saw, enough to confide in his former nemesis... fucking bubastis, in place of a dubious and potentially catastrophic manhattan nuke attack proves he's an idiot who pretends to like the source material but doesn't take it seriously enough.
The fact that he made Adrian full homo from a passing comment from Rorschach, the fact that he added wire-fu to a story like this. The fact that, despite trying to steal from the comic's visuals, he failed to capture moments like the saigon bar where the comedian got his scar or even those power rangers costumes. He fucked up the dramatic lighting and the impact of the dialogue.
It's a misconstrued mess born out of morbid curiosity and not genuine appreciation for the source material.
It's a movie that should have never been made, and they picked the worst person possible for it.
Worst film ever.
>>
>>67752195

> Dr Manhattan thought the reason that he couldn't see the future was due to tachyons from a future nuclear holocaust, when it's actually Ozymandias and his toys
> Ozymandias is able to complete his master plan and he thinks he saved the world
> Rorschach's journal is found by the newspaper guy, effectively nullifying Ozymandias's work
> Dr Manhattan was unable to see this

Was Dr Manhattan unable to see Rorschach's journal being published because it got published, thus keeping the doomsday clock ticking and eventually causing a nuclear holocaust, or did the newspaper's publication of Rorschach's journal not get taken seriously?
>>
I happened to catch Watchmen in the theater and thought it was okay, not great. Then I saw it years later and enjoyed it quite a bit. I really should get around to reading the comic.

The entire Dr. Manhattan segment was pretty fantastic.
>>
>>67759890
Who knows.

I'm still trying to figure out why no one in Ozymandias' lair realized that blaming Manhattan for the explosion wouldn't work because Manhattan is allied with America, the Russians aren't going to care if he nukes NYC. If anything, they'll either realize now is the perfect time to strike while the US is weak or they'll flip out and blame America for not keeping their pet nuclear bomb on a tighter leash.
>>
>>67759581
why would you want any of that? Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>67759846
>>>/co/
>>
>>67759997
>>>/v/
>>
>>67759846
Snyder's problem is he interpreted watchmen to mean "superheroes are inherently bad."

So changing the ending and keeping all the foreshadowing of the original ending, having the comedian break down for no reason what so ever, casting the most evil looking person alive as veidt, and turning all the ackshun scenes up to 11 when they were just normal humans running around in costumes in the comic... he felt none of that had an effect on what he understood to be watchmen's message.

You can see this message in his other super-hero movies.

Zach Snyder is legitimately retarded.
>>
>>67759890

The journal was picked up by Alex Jones-tier right wing rag. It'd be likely if Rorschach's version became a popular conspiracy theory but not widely accepted truth.
>>
>>67760070
In fact, zach snyder probably thinks the reason the comedian broke down is because he realized he was the bad guy. Which is why he went and started crying in moloch's apartment.
>>
>>67753927
>listening to an old man do all the chick voices
the motion comic is ultimate cringecore. if they got a full voice cast it could have been decent.
>>
>>67752195
nerds hate all movie adaptations of their beloved comix because they are man children and they hate when their bedtime stories aren't told just right. watchmen is the best comic book movie of all time, it is 95% identical to the comic, and every single change snyder made is objectively for the better. the movie renders the comic obsolete.
>>
>>67754439
>feminist side.....i think

Christ, go back to Redd!t.
>>
>>67760112
And then it got thrown right into the looney bin. That journal was going nowhere.
But of course the movie also forgot to show that.
>>
>>67760433
nice job responding to a post from four hours ago, champ

eat poison
>>
>>67752195
There shouldn't be music in the scene, cheapens the emotional impact.
>>
>>67753071
don't hate on Patrick Wilson, how the fuck can you do a 'Nooooo' and not make it sound cringey.

>>67759294
I didn't think his acting was bad at all, but I imagined Rorschach to be more stoic. Tbh, the way he acted was probably because of Snyder's shitty directing anyway.

I know Robin Williams was meant to be cast in Terry Gilliam's version. He would have been perfect.
>>
>>67760979
>how the fuck can you do a 'Nooooo' and not make it sound cringey.
Why was nite owl in that scene at all? Zack Snyder is a fucking hack.
>>
>>67761004
I didn't mind that he was in the scene, but he should have just responded with a very resolute, solemn look, as if to resignedly accept that his death is for the greater good.
>>
It's not a good movie, he copies scene from scene from the comic book but fails to capture the ideas and emotions of the scenes. Just blatantly copying dialogue and visuals doesn't make it good, you need good editing and directing to capture what those characters and events mean to the reader.
>>
It's the perfect balance between mass appeal and artistic diligence. Leave it alone. It's a perfectly acceptable adaptation.
>>
>>67752195

It's not a Masterpiece, it's an ADAPTION of a Masterpiece, a faithful one too. But something has to be original, or at least add something new to be a Masterpiece.
>>
>>67757669
>It's almost a panel-to-shot translation, you couldn't really get much closer to a film adaptation of Watchmen.

shot from shot translations are pointless, comics are not movies. copying a comic into a movie medium is more than just applying the comic to a 3D media. an adaptation is a retelling of the story. otherwise why the fuck do we need the movie, just read the comic.

he doesn't retell the story in his own way with good use of the film medium because he's a stupid hack who doesn't understand the comics.
>>
>>67752195
>Remind me again why people hate this movie?

Because it's a poor adaptation of a beloved property that somehow missed all of the subtlety and arguably the entire point of the source material.
>>
>>67752195
it did really well with castic EXCEPT for the guy who played adrian veidt. too young and funnylooking imo.
>>
>>67752195
>1 hour clusterfuck intro

rest was fine
>>
>>67759530
you are fucking retarded everyone agrees to let it slide even fucking Kovacs and nobody gives a fuck when he dies Nite Owl actually goes to fuck with Sally so happy to still be alive to do so
>>
>>67761522
biggest bullshit I've ever read

there is no such thing as an original movie unless you go experimental, they all are adapted from scripts

some of the best movies are adapted from books

just kill yourself before your stupidity spreads
>>
This is the greatest fucking capeshit movie of all time and you fuckers won't even accept this. it makes me so fucking sick i just i just can't i mean it's so great what the fuck is wrong with you people why don't you understand it's the greatest movie ever i just can't no more please just enjoy this movie it's better than your fucking deadpool xmen shit faggots fucking kill me please
>>
>>67759890

Didn't Manhattan leave Earth after the events of the comic? If that were the case, he wouldn't be able to know Earth's future because he's not there to experience it. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't his understanding of future events limited to those he's experienced directly?
>>
>>67752195
this is the thread /tv/ deserves
>>
>>67761798
but scripts are adapted from imagination.
>>
>>67759890
I doubt that a crazy convicted person's diary would matter, especially when he is no where to found.

But anyway, manhattan already says 'nothing ever ends', so even without diary, the planet is at some point doomed.
>>
>>67752195
I like this movie.

Probably, becouse the comic fans are jealous, what they do not need.

Watchman and Sin City are the only movies of superheroes that I like (and I like both a lot).

Fuck Batman, superman and, specially, fuck the spiderman.

More perfect is the superman more I hate him.
>>
Despite alot of people hating it i actually really liked it.

>2dark&edgyforme actually fit the characters and the comicbook universe it was based off
>Great visuals
>Great acting
>Solid script

Now sure every one of his movies after this was a huge turd, i havent seen BvS yet but i assume it will be the same old GRRRRRRRRRRRRR ANGRY SUPERHEROS SO GRITTY crap we got with superman
>>
>>67755332
kill yourself, weeaboo faggot.
>>
>>67762028
imagination is based of reality

just die already
>>
>>67752407
Verbatim the Comic.
Watchmen was the last time Snyder treated the source material with any respect.
>>
the problem is the entire point was the fact that these guys were NOT cool, they were just losers playing dress-up. the fight scenes in this movie sort of miss the point - or at least the ones with nite owl and silk spectre do
>>
>>67754500
>The ones that don't believe in the whole sexism in the industry

there very well might be but this large power disparity between customer and political agenda is what is causing all this anger and led to gamergate
>>
What other movies stay true and loyal to the source material as accurately as possible? One that pops in my head is Scott Pilgrim. For the first half of the movie at least until near the end where they caught up with the author who was still finishing either the 5th or last novel.
>>
>Still doesn't realize the squid was meant to represent comic books. Putting it in the movie would mean you didn't understand what it meant.
>Adrian wasn't full on homo in the movie you retard. It's just mentioned that he might be just like in the comics.
>>
>>67760070
>Snyder's problem is he interpreted watchmen to mean "superheroes are inherently bad."

Listen to what Moore has to say about the characters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKebCtCTbCA

"... is a vigilante psychopaths. ... (Rorschach) is a nutcase."

You still live in a fantasy world thinking that having superheroes would be a good thing.

You're the one who's legitimately retarded and never understood what Watchmen was about.
>>
>>67762377
>>67762802
All of the action scenes were in the comic, though. Okay, yeah they were exaggerrated quite a bit but still.
>>
>>67759846
>Still doesn't realize the squid was meant to represent comic books. Putting it in the movie would mean you didn't understand what it meant.
>Adrian wasn't full on homo in the movie you retard. It's just mentioned that he might be just like in the comics.
>>
>>67762802
the point of the fight scenes is to show how brutal these people actually are

it's the whole fucking point

how do you not get this?
>>
The only reason this movie gets any praise is because of Watchmen the comic actually being good.
Watchmen the movie is dogshit with bad acting, bad casting, shit directing, and just about shit everything else.
Its a generic capeshit movie wearing the skin of one of the least-generic capeshit comics ever, in every slow-mo frame of greatest hits of the 60's and 70's.
Its garbage.
>>
>>67763606
The point kind of gets lost when you have them breaking a guys arm in slow motion like its fucking Mortal Kombat.
The violence wasn't really gorey, it was garish and cartoony, so you don't really get the sense that these characters are real-life psychopaths, you get the sense that they're superheroes in a movie.
>>
Watchmen is supposed to be a gritty and raw deconstruction of the comicbook superhero genre. The film failed at that, so it's kind of a pointless surface reconstruction.

I think it's the type of thing Snyder thinks he's making with MoS/BvS, but he's not very good at it.
>>
>>67752195

i sure as hell like it more then BvS, director's cut tho
>>
Hack Snyder is a dumb fucking chad

Watchmen is one of the worst (if not the worst) comic book adaptation ever

He copies entire comic book panels without realizing what significance they hold and he has a serious trouble understanding the basic conception of Watchmen

Hack Snyder must be the dumbest person in the movie industry
>>
File: Comedian's funeral.jpg (52 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Comedian's funeral.jpg
52 KB, 1280x720
>Implying this isn't one of the best shot scenes of all time
>>
I thought everyone loved Watchmen.

Have I been wrong for 7 years?
>>
>>67764932
Everyone who has brain damage
>>
>>67754295
Even demigods cant escape jewish propaganda
>>
>>67763130
Yea okay zach.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaK0m9Itr8s
>>
blibloop
>>
>>67759227
What movie did you watch?
>>
>>67753417
>He knows that humanity is too flawed for Veidt's plan to ever succeed, and he is right.

That isn't entirely right, it is kinda implied if Veidt's plan was somehow 1000% sure to bring world peace forever, he still wouldn't make the compromise of killing millions.
>>
>Others hate it because it's not faithful to the comic.

Watchmen is probably the most faithful to the comic comic book movie out.

If you seriously think it wasn't faithful because it didn't have the vagina monster, you missed the entire fucking point of the film.
>>
>>67759890
One of the points of the story was that Manhattan becomes less human as time goes on and his powers grow
He cant see the future as much as he already lived it and learns more of it s it goes on, for all that power hes not omnisient, but he seems to become that

That and hes a total psychopathic twat
>>
File: Before Watchmen.jpg (44 KB, 480x358) Image search: [Google]
Before Watchmen.jpg
44 KB, 480x358
>>67752195
I can forgive a lot of the dumb changes and I even like some of them but that ending just fucks everything up. I get that doing the alien ending in an already bloated as fuck movie would have been difficult but what Snyder did instead was just retarded. Instead of an "alien" attacking just New York it's Doc Manhattan destroying every major city in the world. That kills the whole ending. Not only does it make no goddamn sense for the rest of the xenophobic world of Watchmen to sympathize with the US when it's their superhero who killed everyone instead of a new outside threat that only attacked America, but it makes Veidt's plan even more ridiculous and insane by upping the death total by a ludicrous degree for no discernible reason. He should have been able to come up with a better replacement for the alien or at the very least just kept the destruction to New York. As it is now I cannot believe at all that Veidt's plan would have worked out.
>>
>>67753565
>Snyder's idea of conveying emotion is throwing these grandiose orchestral scores and slow-mo around

Disney's idea of conveying emotion is to have everyone be sarcastic and quip
>>
>>67754872
>I feel the movie should be judged as a movie, rather than by a comic though.

Normally I would agree but considering that the movie for the most part seems to be an attempt at doing a panel for panel live action adaptation it's kind of hard to judge it on it's own merits. Rather than being a completely faithful adaptation or a well done interpretation it's instead an odd amalgam that ends up screwing up a lot of the important aspects of the comic without having anything to say on it's own to make up for what has been lost in the transition.
>>
>>67767616
You've posted all this before. I think you may be the guy who helped me realise Moore's screenplay was far inferior to Snyder's final piece and that Moore is a fucking self fellating hack. Thanks again.
>>
>>67767662
>QUIP.... HAHA,,,,I SAID THE WORD QUIP, I PWNED U!!!!!!!!ONEONE

0/10
>>
>>67767042
>If you seriously think it wasn't faithful because it didn't have the vagina monster, you missed the entire fucking point of the film.

>I can forgive a lot of the dumb changes and I even like some of them but that ending just fucks everything up. I get that doing the alien ending in an already bloated as fuck movie would have been difficult but what Snyder did instead was just retarded. Instead of an "alien" attacking just New York it's Doc Manhattan destroying every major city in the world. That kills the whole ending. Not only does it make no goddamn sense for the rest of the xenophobic world of Watchmen to sympathize with the US when it's their superhero who killed everyone instead of a new outside threat that only attacked America, but it makes Veidt's plan even more ridiculous and insane by upping the death total by a ludicrous degree for no discernible reason. He should have been able to come up with a better replacement for the alien or at the very least just kept the destruction to New York. As it is now I cannot believe at all that Veidt's plan would have worked out.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't AMIRITE?

People just bitch about what they want to bitch.

The movie was great.
>>
>>67752195
>awful actors
>awful nonsensical script
>awful directing
>complete misunderstanding of the characters and themes
After BvS it feels Snyder is so far up his own ass with his own metaphors he is completely incapable of finding symbolism in anything.
>>
>>67767813
>laughing greentext on an indonesian flipbook board

I can feel your asspain from here
>>
>>67767616
I thought Manhattan ending made more sense since a fucking alien exploding out of nowhere would raise more questions and fear than caution. No one knew why or from where the alien landed and exploded so it isnt necessarily an immediate threat
Manhattan going apeshit after being portrayed unstable is a lot easier threat for people to understand and group up against
>>
>>67766229
>Cut this fantastic scene
>Keep in slow motion NiteOwl bone session

Fucking bravo Snyder, even when you manage to do something right you fuck it up.
>>
>>67767885
>buzzwords without substance
>projecting
After that post it feels like anon is so far up his own ass he is completely incapable of understanding anything.
>>
Americucks are so insecure with their capeshit movies that if the movies don't try to make them laugh along with them, they feel like the movies are pretentious and trying to be smarter than them
>>
>>67768018
Shhh don't scare them off. Their comments make me feel smarter than I really am.
>>
Snyder is great at turning great source material into subpar trash

Watchmen is the prime example of it
>>
>>67764461
why?
>>
>>67752407

What are you talking about? That voice and emotion at 1:13 is fucking flawless. You just hate it because it's capeshit, don't you?
>>
File: Watchmen smiley.png (51 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen smiley.png
51 KB, 400x300
>>67752195
Loved the comics when I was younger, and to be honest, the movie wasn't that bad.

It didn't developed the Ozymandias arc at all, which failed to make him a coherent character, and the ending was half assed, but, come on, it wasn't that bad.

Can't we all agree that it was at least a pretty nice tribute?
>>
>>67766229
That wasn't bad, I'll admit it.
>>
>>67767962
I've discussed this and explained all that on /tv/ more times than I comfortable admitting. Can't be assed to make the exact same posts and getting the exact same butthurt responses to them again.
The movie was shit.
>>
>>67761628
Instead of a well-developped and handsome character, we got the shallow pseudo-David Bowie.

A real shame.
>>
>>67769603
>The movie was shit.

Come on, that's a bit harsh. Why did you disliked it so much?

Give arguments, I won't be butthurt.
>>
>>67753987
Because, while his intentions are good, and while he does recognize humanity is fucked, his method of correcting it, compared to Veidt, is crude and non-lasting. He's the typical shoot-first-ask-later type of hero, not really foreseeing that the systemic problem cannot be solved at an individualistic basis. Veidt addresses that issue better than though at the cost of many lives.

No one's telling you to hate Rorsharch, I liked his character, he was honorable and had good intentions despite his negativity. Don;t know if the movie exposed his back story, but in the comics, his childhood pretty much sets him up to be a cynical man.
>>
>>67753987
>>67769853
Rorsharch is your typical /pol/ack.
>>
Hey im right here
>>
>>67759968
In the movie he nukes multiple cities internationally
>>
>>67759227
I thought they were friends? Why else would Nite Owl rescue him from prison, there's also a pretty good scene between these two characters where Rorschach apologizes for something (no idea what it was though)
>>
>>67752195

It took
>Superheroes are a stupid idea and don't work in a realistic setting.

and made it
>Look how fuckin cool they are bro!

Its Watchmen for manchildren.
>>
File: ozymandias terminal.png (117 KB, 636x352) Image search: [Google]
ozymandias terminal.png
117 KB, 636x352
>>67769620
Why did Snyder made based Ozymandias a flaming faggot?
>>
>>67753039
Rorschach is the only person in the novel that acts selflessly. Comedian counts as well, if we count Beginning novels.
Everyone else is dick. Or cunt.
>Silk Spectre does it because of mummy issues
>Nite Owl does it because of because he wants to be a superhero, quits when things aren't easy anymore
>Veidt does it because he feels superior to everyone else
>Manhattan does it because it's easy for him
Sure, Rorschach is ugly, stinking hobo. But it makes his conviction even greater.
>>
>>67770186
Same reason he made Lex Luthor a fag
>>
>>67770212
>Comedian counts as well
comedian acted selflessly? that's not the impression i got. is saying "it's just a prank bro" enough to make his actions acceptable and good?
>>
>>67757479
>David Hayter
>>
>>67770186
>made
Anon is possibly homosexual. Must remember to investigate further.
>>
>>67770212
Comedian wasn't selfless. His perspective of the world is similar to Rorsharch and as encompassing as Veidt. He's pretty much a Joker-type, except he's licensed by the US Government.

Maybe at the start of his career, he could be considered careless. Later on, he would work for whoever gave him the biggest license to kill.
>>
>>67770478
Heh, you're right.
Homosexual doesn't always mean pedoloving flaming faggot though.
Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.