[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tips on how to create a god-tier character
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: das.jpg (39 KB, 477x256) Image search: [Google]
das.jpg
39 KB, 477x256
/tv/, I need your help.

I think most anons are fucking assholes and some are just fucking retards who enjoy capeshit, but there is some pretty smart people in here, so I would like your opinion.

What qualities or characteristics make characters complex and unique for you? I'm talking shit that makes for a god-tier character. I don't want the typical byronic hero bullshit.

Im writing my first film, since I got a friend with loads of money who is interested in investing in it.

Pic related, obviously.
>>
If it's not capekino, you can't post it in here, you fucking rancid nigger.
>>
>>67690546
A character should never be one dimensional.
There is no man purely evil nor purely good
>>
>>67690646

>i have something to say 'bout dat, OP
>no matter how obvious it is.
>>
if you just want it to be successful just make a >muh relatable self-insert reddit character. If you want it to be truly god-tier make him flawed but interesting
>>
>>67690736

OP here.

I want a complex character. A character that you don't have to LIKE, just understand. Good characters are different than likeable characters. I also want someone who contradicts himself, because people are unpredictable. A guy who says he loves his family, but does his best to keep them away, for instance.
>>
>driven, not a lazy fuck
>justifiably flawed
>tries to the right thing but doesn't always do good
>>
File: valjean in the sewers.jpg (43 KB, 316x383) Image search: [Google]
valjean in the sewers.jpg
43 KB, 316x383
>>67690546
Growth is probably the most important part of a memorable character, in my opinion.

Jean Valjean is probably my favorite character of all time, and through out Les Miserables, you watch him learn from his mistakes and grow as a person. He's not particularly exciting or interesting, but watching him come across these insane moral dilemmas, and seeing him conquer each one after much inner turmoil is fantastic.
>>
Honestly it's all in the acting. Give me a character with believable motivations, whether simple (Vic Mackey) or complex (OP pic), put that character in conflict in a structurally solid storyline, and you have all the ingredients for a great character. What makes the difference is whether you have an actor capable of fully inhabiting that character and making it their own
>>
>>67690546
Just copy your material from real life, write your characters just like that somewhat lunatic father of your highschool friend.

Try to define your characters with 7 virtues/sins and play around for a bit.
>>
>>67690879

This OP. Also please hire me.
>>
>>67690879

Shane was a pretty complex character, in my opinion. Although I think Vic's confession was the single most satisfying moment in american television.
>>
Why would someone invest in an indie film? It's not like it's going to make a lot of money.
>>
Read "The Artist's Responsibility" from this link. (Tarkovsky, 1986, p. 176)

monoskop.org/images/d/dd/Tarkovsky_Andrey_Sculpting_in_Time_Reflections_on_the_Cinema.pdf
>>
>>67690976

You seriously think I would feel worthy to post in this board if I hadn't read motherfucking Sculpting in Time? It's my favorite book of all time.
>>
>>67690546
tell us the circumstances/context of the character
>>
File: don-draper.jpg (732 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
don-draper.jpg
732 KB, 1280x800
Make him literally you.
>>
>>67690546
OP you got somebody making music for your film already?
>>
>>67690546
Ask yourself why the characters in The Phantom Menace are so god-awful and forgettable

>>67690852
this
pic related
>>
No big speeches.

No cool one-liners.

Allow them to not be cool. That's the mistake Breaking Bad, Fargo, etc. made. They made their protags too cool for the shit they were doing, and nothing really had an effect because of it.
>>
>>67690929
Vic was an action junkie who compartmentalized his sins and used his family/team/general sense of "right and wrong" as a rationalization. Shane was a guy who genuinely believed those rationalizations and tried to be the anti-hero Vic claimed to be, only to realize too late they were really just villains.
>>
>>67691021

I don't wanna tell much because the plot itself is, in my opinion, quite brilliant. Like, I fucking hate myself as much as the next anon and I was never good at anything, but this idea I had is fucking great, I just wanna get the script done and register it so I feel safe talking about it. So I can't go into details, but I wanna make the classic story of the normal guy who suddenly gets a lot of power and money and how he reacts to it. The thing is, this guy isn't good or bad, he just... is. I don't wanna judge him, I'll just follow him. I don't give a fuck if the audience starts to hate him. I want him to become someone so fucking powerful that he can have anyone he wants gone, and while he is cold enough to do it, he also is sensible enough to donate some of his money to charity. I know it sounds just like any other crime film, but the little twist that defines my story is what makes it so unique. I just don't trust 4chan enough to go spreading it around.
>>
>>67691081
Not OP, but I've been looking for a composer for my film.
>>
File: 1427812397910.jpg (22 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1427812397910.jpg
22 KB, 320x320
>>67691011
>feel worthy to post in this board
weeeeeew laaaaad
>>
>>67690813
Wilson Fisk, in the new Daredevil series.

What's interesting about him is that he's very genuine and sincere in his efforts, he really wants to keep Hell's Kitchen nice, but he's got very violent criminal methods of doing so. In this way, he's a really good parallel to Daredevil himself, though obviously he's taking a completely different route.

Not only that, but he's also exceedingly human. You get a look into his past, and what made him like this, but you also get to see him being sad, regretful, in love, etc.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you want your character to be a villain, give him a good motivation for doing so, give him pathos, problems. Keep them believable though, and keep them human.
>>
>>67690546
I personally like it when a good man ends up being a cynic or just being corrupted by things that happen to him. Also give him a decent motivation and arc. But make sure you can try and get a good actor anon.
>>
>>67691011
You sound like a faggot and your amateur movie is going to just be another pile of shit on Vimeo.
>>
>>67691081

I would like to get to know your work, anon. I live in Brazil, though. And yes, I'm a nigger, so if you're okay with that, I would love to look into it. I think there are lots of talented anons and I wouldn't be surprised if I loved your work.
>>
>>67691170
What's it about? FYI I do have a good amount of experience.
>>
>>67691175

I agree and while I loved Fisk and Daredevil, I think the actor just played the autism card a little bit too much, so I didn't pay attention to how great the character is, I'm afraid.
>>
>>67691285

Well, at least I'll try. Can you say the same, anon?
>>
good luck op. i hope you make it.
>>
>>67691321
Np anon, I honestly don't give a shit who it is I just like to work. You got some contact info m8?
>>
>>67691447

Can't you upload anything here? I'm sure others would like to check it out too. Also, forgot to ask, what kinda music do you usually compose?
>>
>>67690546
>is some smart people
You lose faggot.
>>
>>67691359
I thought the autism kind of added to him desu. Gave him a sort of defining quirk. He laid it on a bit thick but it differentiated him from being another shitty Marvel villain who's exactly the same as the hero but eeeeevillll
>>
>>67691321

how can you be a nigger if you seem nice, desu?
>>
They need to make the audience care in some way.
>>
>>67691500
I can post a link sure but idk if I'd be too comfortable, I prefer direct communication. Not trying to be difficult here.

As for what I compose - I have a lot of experience making very different types of music. Namely, neo-classical, minimalism, experimental noise music, post-punk, hip-hop, folk, psychedelic, electronic, ambient, et al. I just like to experiment desu.
>>
>>67691525
>I'm so scared of saying anything in case people think I'm stupid
this is why you're an underacheiver
>>
>>67691622

>experimental noise music

not OP, but i'm curious too now.
>>
>>67691238
>But make sure you can try and get a good actor anon.
It's really stupid but so much to do with human emotional response is to do with looks. That's why "good actors" are interesting to look at. You pretty much decide whether you like someone just by looking at them.
>>
File: Star Trek guy.jpg (29 KB, 340x319) Image search: [Google]
Star Trek guy.jpg
29 KB, 340x319
Read Robert McKee's Story. It's written with screenplays in mind, but it has fundamentals of storytelling and characterization that apply to any medium.

It's not the be all, end all, obviously, but it's a good read regardless.

Now, for characters... first and foremost, this character has to want something, and they have to be driven enough to pursue it. It has to be something major, too, something that spurs decisions, choices, and serious, irrevocable consequences. Walter White (leave money for the family, stroke ego), Tony Soprano (keep in control, keep his family and self together), etc. Wanting to keep in stasis (not change) can work depending on how you write it.

A serious drive like that produces conflict naturally when they meet opposition. Good characters need good opposition, whether it's other characters (a supervillain) or social pressures/forces.

This also leads to the most important thing: choices. A big part of character development comes in characters crossing thresholds and making choices they can't turn back from. Seeing how a person wrestles with a choice, how they make it, and how they deal with the aftermath shows us a lot about a character.

Also, your character should also have flaws, tics, quirks, the way any person would. They can't be infallible. They should make mistakes, act irrationally, be frightened or scared or doubtful in whatever way makes sense for them. We don't have to like a character for them to be good. They just have to be compelling, and if you can use the other steps to make them dynamic and engaging, you're already there.
>>
>>67691323
Send me an email at [email protected] and I'll tell you.
>>
Pretty good answers in this thread, so i'm gonna give you my personal preferences when dealing with a character.
Well, i think a character has to be cohesive, he has to remain true to himself and changes have to come gradually, just look at Peter Campbell from Mad Men, one of my favorite characters.
Also, i love when writers touch themes such as loyalty and moral, and remember to keep these aspects closely-knit, your character can't be violent and moral at the same time.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.