[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who are the great right-wing filmmakers? John Hughes and Whit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7
File: Based Goldwater.gif (34 KB, 256x377) Image search: [Google]
Based Goldwater.gif
34 KB, 256x377
Who are the great right-wing filmmakers?

John Hughes and Whit Stillman were openly conservative and it shows in the work.. Terrence Malick clearly has traditionalist impulses arising from his religious beliefs, and it shows in his films with their commitment to marriage and procreation.

I think John Ford and Howard Hawks both made films with very conservative messages although Ford was, of course, a New Deal Democrat.

Did anybody else pick up strong conservative vibes from Korine's Spring Breakers? The religious stuff with "Double J" Jeff Jarrett seemed to be ironic at first but slowly morphed into something a lot more sincere as the general film operated as a critique of hedonism. Just my thought.

Sam Raimi is a Republican but I don't see it in the flicks.
>>
Leni Riefenstahl seemed dedicated to typical conservative values
>>
John Milius
>>
Christopher Nolan
>>
File: 1446949400487.png (88 KB, 659x573) Image search: [Google]
1446949400487.png
88 KB, 659x573
>>
>>67685454
Christopher Nolan seems like a good conservative but he is a hack and flickster. Quite sad really.
>>
File: uncertain sofia coppola.jpg (71 KB, 542x511) Image search: [Google]
uncertain sofia coppola.jpg
71 KB, 542x511
>>
Whit Stillman barely qualifies as a filmmaker, the lazy fuck.
>>
Hard to really say. Are there really any contemporary conservative filmmakers? Malick seems like religious but hardly conservative. There is such a thing as a liberal Christian.
Like you mentioned with Hawks, is it even possible to really say if they were conservative as we understand? I'm sure even openly conservative people in the 80's would be liberal now, and liberals back in the 30s-40s would probably be described as conservative nowadays.

I guess that's the question. What is your definition of Conservative? I'd consider say, Tarkovsky as somewhat conservative and religious, but he lived under the Soviets. So where does he fall on the spectrum?
The typical 4chan definition of "conservative" and "liberal" seem to not make sense here.
>>
>>67685435
He is pretty much THE right wing film maker. He's the first that always comes to mind.
>>
>>67685341
Mel Gibson certainly is but he dropped off the map obviously.
>>
>>67685713
*got Jewed off the map
>>
>>67685633
Nah, he's influenced by Godard and Truffaut. Those two are left to the point of being Marxist.
>>
File: feel.png (140 KB, 350x480) Image search: [Google]
feel.png
140 KB, 350x480
>>67685904
>being influenced by other artists means you share their worldview
>>
>>67685904
You can be influenced by a person's works and not their ideas you know
>>
>It's a "let's pretend we are right-wingers because it's edgy for SJW in Chinese puppets boards even if we actually don't follow any conservative ideal in real life meme" episode
>>
>>67685536
Tarkovsky?
>>
>>67686081
>It's a "everyone on 4chan is actually a leftist because I don't like the idea that they might not be" shitpost

This isn't even about people's own politics you moron, it's about film-makers.
>>
File: korine.jpg (82 KB, 363x480) Image search: [Google]
korine.jpg
82 KB, 363x480
>>67685341
Here are some choice Harmony Korine quotes:

"My [commie] parents disowned me because I refused to make Marxist propaganda."

"Of course I have real values, but I'll never ever talk about them."

"I love to go shooting."

This painting of his I think is clearly Che Guevara. His short film, "Blood of Havana" definitely ain't pro-communism. If you google "korine racist" you'll get tons of SJWs screeching against him.
>>
>>67685904
Godard's earliest films are quite conservative. He didn't turn to communism until the late 60s and even then he was always self-aware.
>>
>>67686565
>Godard's earliest films are quite conservative.
Really?
>>
File: 1459012987166.jpg (34 KB, 550x236) Image search: [Google]
1459012987166.jpg
34 KB, 550x236
>>
>>67686316
My respect for him just went way up.
>>
>>67686598
Yes. It's been a while since I read it but Richard Brody's book Everything Is Cinema goes into some detail on the right-wing orientation of Godard's early work if I remember correctly.
>>
Kubrick
>>
>>67686654
Interwar Hollywood was very conservative though. These were hardened self-made immigrant Jews, not Frankfurt school cultural Marxists.
>>
File: Based Pat.jpg (885 KB, 964x1500) Image search: [Google]
Based Pat.jpg
885 KB, 964x1500
>>67686081
Keep telling yourself that, leftoid.

Vote UKIP.
>>
>>67686316
I think Korine is similar to Vincent Gallo and Gavin McInnes where he was right-wing ironically and then accidentally memed himself into being sincere.
>>
>>67688256
Post-irony is a hell of a drug.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.