[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>ugh Firefly was sooooooooooo good why did they cancel it?????
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 640x430
>ugh Firefly was sooooooooooo good why did they cancel it?????

I still hear people say this all the time. What is the attraction of this show?

I will concede that the concept is cool: a relatively near future where much of the galaxy is basically the Wild West, an evil empire vs. freedom fighters etc. It's really neat in theory. But the execution is terrible. The acting is tepid at its best and downright cringe-inducing at its worst, most of the villains and episode plots are drearily uninspired, the bizarre recurring social messages about prostitutes is an irritating tumblr-tier sideshow, and a lot of the action sequences are just plain boring. The show's attempts at humor often fall flat, the characters are by and large pretty one-dimensional to begin with but somehow manage to become even more flanderized in the span of a single season, and good God do I really even have to mention that Serenity movie?

Honestly, the best part of this show is the soundtrack. Joss Whedon took a 10/10 concept that could have been a real breath of fresh air in a (at the time) stagnating sci-fi TV scene, and turned it into a 3/10 show.

Why do so many people jizz their pants over this show?
>>
>>67596723

Carnivale is the superior show that needs to be brought back.

At least that had actual depth and substance, all Firefly was, was just quips in space.
>>
If people got the extra seasons they wanted it would have run its course and people would no longer care

It's because it got cancelled just as people like it that people love it so much
>>
>>67596741

Agreed.

The only way Firefly could have become anymore of a meme show would be if Deadpool was a guest star
>>
>>67596723
It was not "so" good. But not bad either. Still can understand why it was cancelled so soon.
>>
>>67596746

Shows get cancelled after a single season all the time. I have yet to hear about any such show generating even a fraction of the butthurt Firefly did when it got axed
>>
You don't like it because you're retarded.
>>
The show was carried on the charisma of Tudyk, Fillion, Torres, and Baldwin.
>>
>>67596797

Ebin
>>
I think the show would've been a lot better if it showed more of the Alliance/Brownshirt wars. There's really only so much mileage you can get out of the "routine smuggling job goes HORRIBLY WRONG XDDD" plotline
>>
>>67596723
Because in a post Marvel-universe world, "quirky" characters and good chemistry is all you need for ppl to consider something good. In this world, someone like Joss Whedon is king.
>>
reddit in space
>>
>>67596723
Eh it was alright.

A bit of a shame it was cancelled but nothing too dramatic.

A lot of okay shows get cancelled.
>>
It was okay (like three good episodes) but it's grossly overrated for some inexplicable reason. I watched season one when it was on tv and completely understands why it never took off. And then that terrible movie was the final nail in the Firefly coffin.
>>
the people that say that didn't watch it when it was airing.
>>
>>67596723

Firefly is Outlaw Star for plebs. Good thing the japs have dignity or Sunrise would have taken Whedon to the cleaners.
>>
>>67597821
Firefly had a "geek" following long before the Marvel movies. In fact, the series' kooky script rife with quips put Whedon in the capeshit director's chair. What a time to be alive.
>>
>>67596723

DUDE COWBOY BEBOP RIP-OFF LMAO

Whedon is a faggot who deserve to be punished severely.
>>
Because it's a Joss Whedon series canceled after one season and the bar is set so low for sci-fi television that something mediocre like this is praised.
>>
>>67596723
It was a good concept and a decent execution. It had a good contrast between space cowboys and futurism, and the ability to switch back and forth between the two prevented it from being stale.

Also, it was pretty much a Sci-fi for the rest of us who don't really care about Sci-fi. The genre is extremely tedious for a lot of people, particularly when it takes itself too seriously. Firefly had a decent mesh between seriousness and campiness.

It would have been interesting to see where it went. I was a big fan of Buffy and I enjoyed it, but Buffy ran its course. With Firefly, it was a decent idea which wasn't allowed to be fleshed out in the way Buffy was. As a result, it's considered more of a tragedy that it was cancelled. I doubt it would have been good beyond the second or third season though.
>>
>>67596723
/tv/ is fucking stupid. This is a great show and you know it.

None of you pepes hated this show until after reddit existed. You don't hate the show: you hate the fanbase. The problem is that this is a cute, low budget, hokey show. A show like this can be great, but when it's praised relentlessly, you assume that the fans think it's brilliant or a masterpiece, which upsets you because that's not what makes the show good.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.