[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you find this good or silly? Or both?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Scarface.jpg (579 KB, 1365x2108) Image search: [Google]
Scarface.jpg
579 KB, 1365x2108
Do you find this good or silly?
Or both?
>>
>>67582389
I find it to be a great film.
>>
PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
>>
>>67582542
You don't think it's a bit cheesy though? Even for it's time?
>>
>>67582635
nah
cheesy in what sense?
Cuban people are over the top all the time
>>
>>67582635
Modern audiences can't into De Palma. They were fed too much Nolan and realism, now their brains don't work. The youth don't stand a chance.
>>
Boring as fuck.
>>
>>67582635

I guess it has some cheese, but it fits well into the style and theme of the movie.
>>
>>67582389
It seemed to have potential during the first half only to keep the same tone and becoming flat. The ebun scene with the "Say hello to my little friend" thing was pretty dull imho.

7/10 at best
>>
A more serious answer though - it's in part satirical. You have to be tuned into De Palma's weird sense of humor and his love of the fakeness of movies. People often make a big deal about Verhoeven being misunderstood and ahead of his time, but De Palma was ahead of him and a more interesting director.
>>
>>67582948

Without getting all SJW, the way it was cast was probably part of that satire. Most of the important characters (except Manny) were cast as Cubans despite not being from any Latin American country. Al Pacino's iconic accent is pretty ridiculous at first but is part of the overall theme of non-Latino's in Cuban roles.
There are also several times in the film that call to attention Cuban stereotypes (drug dealers, killers, etc). Cubans want to redeem themselves and be whitewashed, but even in a film with non-Cuban actors, De Palma portrays the criminal element. Or maybe I'm looking too hard at it.
>>
>>67583435
His mom berates him for giving Cubans a bad name, if that helps.

Also literally only one guy called him scar face. And it was in Spanish
>>
>>67583435
Interesting take, but I'm not sure. Pachino is cast as a Puerto Rican in Carlito's Way. I think it's more likely that De Palma is steeped in older cinema, which demanded of its audience a greater suspension of disbelief. He plays it tongue in cheek though.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.