[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can an oldfag enlighten me: Has the capeshit epidemic always
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: javier.gif (2 MB, 328x328) Image search: [Google]
javier.gif
2 MB, 328x328
Can an oldfag enlighten me:

Has the capeshit epidemic always been this bad? In the 90s? 80s? 70s? Or was it just in the 00s with the Marvel movies that it really took off?

Pre-00 all I can think of are Christopher Reeves Superman, Batman, and that awful Fantastic 4 movie.
>>
No. There was no cinematic universe shit. Why do you think people were surprised when they a movie about an antman.
>>
>>67543150
X-Men (2000) kicked it off and it has been getting worse and worse every year since then. At some point, it will implode.

Imagine all the good movies that are never made because Hollywood only puts money into capeshit? It makes me fucking sick. They could make 10 awesome movies for the price it takes to make one shitty capeshit.
>>
>>67543218
Don't forget Blade.
>>
>>67543273
That was actually a decent flick for the time and most people didn't even know it was a capeshit, per se, so I don't fault that movie.
>>
>>67543342
I don't fault it either, but if it sucked then there would be no precedent for X-Men's budget and stars. Before Blade it was all The Phantom and The Shadow type movies, which again I don't fault much in context, but in my shitty opinion X-Men wouldn't have been given what little freedom and indulgence it got without Blade preceeding it.
>>
>>67543273
Blade was good and it was only normie approved because they didn't know there was actually source material
>>
File: capeshit_chart.jpg (390 KB, 1556x1828) Image search: [Google]
capeshit_chart.jpg
390 KB, 1556x1828
>>67543150
No, this is one of those things where it is actually is a new and terrible phenomenon

Capeshit used to stay in its own little corner, now it completely dominates film to the point where worthwhile art has been pushed out of the spotlight

This isn't to say that there's no good capeshit, but when there's this sheer amount of it being made you're bound to get mostly garbage
>>
>>67543685
>Justice League Dark
>Wait the first 2 directed by Hack Snyder weren't that???

Screen capp this it will be true by the time JLD is about to come out.
>>
>>67543685
>counting Incredibles 2 as capeshit

I mean, it'll probably be bad, but it's not part of any cinematic universe BS

I'll give it a chance because the first movie was amazing
>>
>>67543885
Is it based on a comic?
>>
>>67543150
I think it reached the current, most virulent phase when The Avengers started smashing records in 2012. The sci-fi epics like Avatar and the Star Wars movies will always make more money, but for a comic book movie, especially one not centered around the most popular heroes, the Avengers was an unreal success and the studios took notice.
>>
>>67543938

>all superheroes are capeshit!
>Bond movies are capeshit!
>anything based on a comic is capeshit!
>anything that isn't 4 hours of paint drying in black and white is capeshit!

did you ever think it's time to drop this board?
>>
>>67544065

>but for a comic book movie, especially one not centered around the most popular heroes

I love when /tv/ reveals how little they know about comics, then their backpedal excuse is "hurr i don't read fucking comics"

You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>67543150
Most of capeshit isn't great past or present. Rewatch old big budget superhero movies again and see if they really hold up
>>
>>67544069
Comics are capeshit. Not comics are not capeshit. James Bond and Robocop are not comics.
>>
>>67543218
>Imagine all the "good" movies that are never made such as more twilights, more hunger games, more romance comedies, more shit, because hollywood only puts money into capeshit
>>
>>67544266
I think you misunderstood OP's post.
>>
>>67543565
I disagree. Blade was cashing in on the vampire craze of the '90s and action movies in general. The two have nothing to do with each other, really.
>>
>>67544341
Way to use your imagination, normie.
>>
>>67544419
Fair darts, but from my point of view setting a precedent still stands.
>>
>>67544437
he's right, capeshit has saved blockbuster filmmaking aside from DC.
>>
>>67544347
Oh shit you're right, my bad f am
>>
>>67543218
>Dumbass doesn't know what movies make movies
>Thinks studios can just make movies and keep losing money
>>67543342
>Flick
Kill yourself film school fag
>>
>>67543685
I bet that picture makes many Jews rock hard.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.