[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Evil Dead: '81 -VS- '13
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6
File: EvilDead.jpg (46 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
EvilDead.jpg
46 KB, 320x240
Some background...

Be 27 years old. Friends from high school used to always wear Evil Dead / Army of Darkness shirts. I got the idea that this shit has a cult following, but just never bothered to check it out until recently. Got started this weekend by renting the 2013 remake, then watching the original.

Purists will probably hate me for saying this, but I actually preferred the remake. This by no means implies that Evil Dead '13 is a GREAT movie (I'd probably give it a 6/10 at best). I just really feel that the original is a complete piece of shit.

>You don't get it though. Sam Raimi had limited resources for the first one. That adds to the movie's charm!
Right...

>You're missing the humor of the original!
I didn't laugh once. Nothing was scary. Visual effects were an abomination. Cornball, dated dialogue. Awful acting, with exception to Bruce Campbell.

My take on Evil Dead 2013?
>Much creepier
>Effective gross-out moments
>Drug detox subplot adds another layer to the story
>Jane Levy was convincing in her role
>All other actors were completely forgettable
>Characters make frustratingly stupid decisions, typical of most horror movies

Full disclosure: I have yet to watch Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness, so here's to hoping those bring Sam Raimi back in my good graces...
>>
ok
>>
>>67512484
ok
>>
>>67512484
Nice blog bro
>>
Okay
>>
ok
>>
>>67512484
I agree and I'm 38. Good post m9
>>
>>67512484
People like the first Evil Dead BECAUSE of how shitty it is. People like Evil Dead 2 because it's really fucking good. Watch the second one, retard.
>>
>>67512484
A) nobody cares
B) Evil dead 2 and AOD are the ones everybody likes and the ones with comedy, ED1 is a straight horror flick that worked in 81 because of Cambell, tree rape, and Rami's distinctive direction style.
>>
>>67512668
/thread
>>
>>67512579
Lol. I'm not trying to be super deep or anything. Just trying to make sure I'm not crazy when I think Evil Dead '81 is a shitty movie.
>>
File: splinters.webm (3 MB, 900x536) Image search: [Google]
splinters.webm
3 MB, 900x536
Who did the tree rape scene better, original...
>>
File: splinters2.webm (3 MB, 1024x536) Image search: [Google]
splinters2.webm
3 MB, 1024x536
>>67512800
or remake?
>>
OP here. So to be clear, did people hate the remake because it takes itself too seriously, thus "missing the point" of the original?
>>
>>67512484

DUDE ASH IS NOW A GIRL LMAO

fuck the remake.
>>
>>67512800
Original
>>
>>67512484
I hope one day you can realize how stupid you are.
>>
>>67512852
The drug shit was retarded and completely pointless.
>>
>>67512668
>People like Evil Dead 2 because it's really fucking good. Watch the second one, retard.
I'm getting to it! Relax your nigger titties.
>>
>>67512484
The original is better because it has Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell, but both films are decent at best

Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness, on the other hand, are fucking awesome
>>
File: twerp.jpg (95 KB, 717x587) Image search: [Google]
twerp.jpg
95 KB, 717x587
Evil Dead 2 sucks. It is not charming and only rarely funny. Evil Dead '13 sucks because its story is total shit (they ruin the one good idea of making her a junkie) and the gore ends up looking fake as fuck in an attempt to be realistic (not quite sure how to explain that but it takes on an uncanny valley effect almost, you know?)

The Evil Dead is a fantastic film because, while it is poorly made, it has a lot of heart and was made with pure love and struggle. Its story is good, the gore is absolutely disgusting if you are willing to get lost in the movie, and it builds a unique sense of dread with borderline Lovecraftian events and a horrifying sound design. It's also shot really well and Campbell is great.
>>
>>67512484
Go watch ED2. It's funny as fuck, and it's basically a comedic remake of the first. AoD goes a little too much on the slapstick side, but it's tonally consistent and a great ride in it's own right.

>I'LL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL
>>
>>67512704
>Evil dead 2 and AOD are the ones everybody likes and the ones with comedy
Ah, thanks. This clears some things up.
>>
>>67512940
'13 wanted to be serious, but we got comic gore alongside the serious tone of the rest of the story.

The film didn't know what it wanted to do.
So it's some in between muddled mess.
>>
>>67512920
>drug shit
I liked that it gave them a reason not to believe her at first when she started acting crazy.
>>
>>67512990
I honestly will never understand why people like either of those films. I think they are pure shit in every way. I honestly hate them. They aren't funny, scary, or entertaining.
>>
>>67512853
I'm no SJW, but are you really that threatened by a female lead?
>muh testosterone
>>
>>67513066
That's what the movie wanted you to think, but it never followed up on this and was quickly ousted for actual demon shenanigans.
It would have been an interesting take on the group dybamic had it not always been when Ash was alone.
It was just deadites.
>>
>>67513198
She was pretty terrible as a lead though
>>
>>67512914
>stupid
I'd say more uninformed than stupid. I'm completely new to the Evil Dead series.
>>
>>67513214
Exactly, the rest of the movie is dumb, the drug stuff was the only smart choice it made and it totally dropped the ball on it
>>
>>67512484

I disagree, but that's alright. Watch all the Evil Dead's. Ash vs. Evil Dead is good, too. The original Evil Dead is my favorite, but I can get how someone wouldn't like it. It has a certain appeal and I think the entire series has that. If you like The Three Stooges, you'll like Evil Dead 2 and AOD.
>>
>>67512940
>while it is poorly made, it has a lot of heart and was made with pure love and struggle
Isn't that kind of like praising a 5 year-old's Kindergarten macaroni creation?

>Its story is good
Maybe by 1981 standards. Pretty typical now.

>the gore is absolutely disgusting
I can't take claymation seriously. That ending "gore-fest" looks like a Tool video.
>>
You cant compare the original with the "remake". The original is a cult icon, remembered fondly because of the behind the scenes stuff. It gave the world Bruce Campbell and will always be beloved for that.

2013 was a very well made homage with with a significantly better budget and support. It is better in nearly every regard, most certainly because it was created by adherents to the cult of Raimi.

Both films are good for vastly different reasons and only a pretentious faggot or a troll would say either is the weak link of the Franchise.
>>
2013 was more entertaining for the most part.
>>
>>67514168
>The original is a cult icon
>It gave the world Bruce Campbell
This doesn't even mean anything. Complete nostalgic, emotional nonsense.

>only a pretentious faggot or a troll would say
So you're essentially declaring Sam Raimi's Evil Dead to be immune to criticism. If I hate it, I'm trolling. That's an easy way to eliminate any potential for debate.
>>
File: 1118full-jane-levy.jpg (524 KB, 1118x746) Image search: [Google]
1118full-jane-levy.jpg
524 KB, 1118x746
Two tv series and one good film, Thought she'd be bigger
>>
>>67512484
this is not necessarily related but what baffles me most about the whole Evil Dead legacy is how back in the day, it was on the index of every country on this earth. For being violent and creepy or whatnot.
Today (and by today I mean 9 fucking years ago) we had movies like Sweeney Todd where they show Johnny Depp cutting through some guys neck in widescreen for 10 seconds straight, in all the glorey, bloody detail imaginable. In my country, kids as old as 16 were allowed to watch that shit.
>>
>>67514647
I've been watching Shameless since season 1 and didn't even recognize her in Evil Dead.
>>
>>67514726
People are desensitized. Takes a lot more to shock people in 2016. 80s gore is pretty quaint by today's standards.
>>
I liked the '13 remake a lot. To me it hits the same notes of the original. Its funny by its own hyperviolent merit, it doesn't go out of its way to be hokey or humorous, which is what I was concerned about going in. Its not a reimagining of ED2, but ED1, and I think it captures the exact same mood while bringing its own ideas to the table. Underrated imo.
>>
>>67515063
The funniest thing about remake was how "hippie Jared Leto" got punished savagely, yet managed to almost survive to the end. Countless puncture wounds and repeatedly beat in the head with a crowbar, lol.
>>
Anybody else like Drag me to Hell?
I think that film is more Evil Dead than the Evil Dead remake was.
>>
>>67515714
Well yah Sam Raimi wrote and directed drag me to hell himself. Remake just had his blessing.
>>
>>67513089
they are the reddit movies of their time
>>
>>67515801
I think he knows that.
>>
>>67512852
People hate the remake because it was called Evil Dead. If it had had a different name, I think more people would have liked it.
I thought it was pretty good - agree with you about the added drug subplot - it gave them a good reason to be in isolation and not believing her when shit hits the fan.

Evil Dead 1 is good only insofar as A) it comes before 2, B) stars Bruce, and C) was, at the time, pretty spooky. Anyone who says 1>2 is probably too young to remember it coming out, as so have only watched it with "cult classic" in mind.

Which is fine. Everyone has their own opinion. Seriously, though... Evil Dead 2 is fantastic and, as splatterstick, has yet to be outdone.
>>
>>67512484
I enjoyed the remake more BECAUSE it was more of a straightforward horror movie. I watch this kind of shit to be freaked out, not laugh. I do realize though that this change is why many fans of the original hate the remake.
>>
>>67512484
>expecting humor in the first movie
There are a few goofy moments, but I'm pretty sure the comedy doesn't really come forward until Evil Dead 2.

I actually did enjoy the remake though. I liked trying to figure out which of them was "the Ash" of the movie, only for it to go fucking crazy.
>>
>>67516200
Agreed. The problem with remakes is they rely too heavily upon the original. The good thing about Evil Dead was that they just took the basic concept and took it in a new direction.

I mean, I loved the old trilogy, and I loved the series (how long until Season 2 now?), but not every horror movie needs to be a comedy.
>>
>>67516524
>expecting humor in the first movie
This is what confuses me though. If it's not funny, and it's not scary... Then what's the redeeming factor?
>>
File: Jane_Levy.jpg (64 KB, 682x960) Image search: [Google]
Jane_Levy.jpg
64 KB, 682x960
>tfw my jewfu won't be getting any more evil dead roles
>tfw sam raimi hasn't said anything about a sequel to evil dead sequel
>>
>>67516652
C'mon! They can't just give her the chainsaw and chop off her hand without continuing the story. Lame.
>>
>>67516789
It fucking sucks because Levy did a pretty good job and there's still so much that the director can do with her story
>>
>>67512827
This was a cringe moment. The rest was good.
Loved Levy's faces when the final boss was chasing her.
>>
You're an idiot, OP.
>>
Occasionally there's a thread that makes you realize you're posting on a board with kids who know absolutely nothing about movies.

>>67512668
>People like the first Evil Dead BECAUSE of how shitty it is.
No they don't. The first ED has a higher level of filmmaking craft than most movies released these days.

Burn in hell you little faggots.
>>
>>67517663
I'm getting a vibe that you don't particularly care for my opinion. Please confirm.
>>
>>67517861
>higher level of filmmaking craft than most movies released these days
Lol. Just because you manage to piece together a movie with scraps doesn't mean it's a good movie. Your nostalgia is blinding you.
>>
>>67516652
>>67516789
>>67516946
can't they just get her into the regular cast of the show?
>>
>>67517641
How is it worse than the original ED tree rape? That one looked like they had people just off camera poking her with sticks.
>>
Evil dead 2 is where the magic begins.
>>
>>67519229
Sounds like it's basically a remake of the first, but with 3 Stooges influence? More goofy or something?
>>
>>67519739
Its an intentionally comical horror movie
>>
>>67518556
Because it wouldn't fit in the timeline

I think
>>
>>67519883
So Drag Me To Hell really is the spiritual Evil Dead sequel. Just with a different setting and means of possession.
>>
>>67520057
Nuh uh
>>
>>67516622
pleb
>>
>>67512800
>that fast ass stab into her snatch
Gets me every time.
>>
>>67520236
>has no counterargument
>insert stupid meme response
>>
I feel like the only person on Earth who really liked The Evil Dead (1981) but didn't care for Evil Dead II. I thought the first one was better in every way, including funnier.
>>
>>67520520
>a movie has to be funny or scary to be good

The first one is an original and excitingly made film that you can enjoy on a filmmaking level even if you don't get scared. The longer you get into the trilogy the more you have to be in tune with the Raimi/Campbell humor since AoD focuses so much more on that. That's why the first is a classic and AoD, while well made, is in cult classic territory.

The people who ¨get¨ the humor are going to love AoD and anyone else will dislike or hate it, ED2 falls somewhere in-between and is widely considered the best in a lowest common denominator reaction.
>>
turbopleb

3 > 2 >1

imdbcore

2 > 1 > 3
2 > 3 > 1

cinephile

1 > 2 > 3
>>
>>67512484
They're both good. Remake was one of the better horror films in recent memory. Original was a classic. All these people saying it isn't scary obviously didn't watch it alone at night when they were a kid. That shit where the girl starts guessing the cards and stabs the guy in the ankle with the pencil was pretty traumatic.
>>
>>67512484
when people say Evil Dead is a good movie, they mean Evil Dead 2
>>
>>67512484
Evil Dead 2 > 2013 Remake > Evil Dead > Army Of Darkness
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.