[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some "masterpieces" in film that you thought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: 2141391509_f17e507742_o.jpg (1 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
2141391509_f17e507742_o.jpg
1 MB, 1944x2592
What are some "masterpieces" in film that you thought were overrated or just plain bad?
>>
>>67396567
Gravity
>>
>>67396567
Anything Godard ever made.
>>
>>67396581
Gravity was pretty average imo.
>>
>>
>>67396567

Anything from Fritz Lang. I mean, if you really want to look edgy in parties, at least try to find somebody worth it, like Sergei Eisenstein
>>
>>67397195
I've heard lots of people say that about this movie.
>>
Slumdog millionaire
>>
Most Spielberg, Tarantino, and Aronofsky flicks
>>
When I watched the Sopranos all the way through for the first time I decided I had to watch the Godfather somewhere around the third season. I appreciate its significance in the history of film but Jesus Christ is that a poorly-paced, torturous movie. Maybe it's just because I wasn't born in 1948.
>>
Man of Steel
>>
I'm still confused as to why so many people treat Boondock Saints as if it's a masterpiece.
>>
>>67397720
Finally, somebody agrees. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
>>
>>67396567
That statute is cool as fuck.
>>
>>67397749
It's fedoracore.
>>
>>67397749

It's some sort or meme. Or something. But in real life, it's a shitty movie
>>
Anything by Oliver Stone. The last good thing he did was co-write the screenplay to Conan the Barbarian.
>>
2001 a space odyssey
>>
>>67396567
Most best movies from the Academy awards past 2000. Return of the King and No country are the exceptions.
Can't understand how Crash, Hurt Locker or Birdman are so well rated.

If we are going to trash old classics, Metropolis by Lang stroke me as a mess drowned in the worst kind of sentimentalism. Contrary to >>67397477 I really liked Dr Mabuse and Heat by Lang, but Metropolis is plain bad.
>>
Casablanca
>>
Pulp Fiction

I really hate Tarantino's writing.
>>
>>67397893
>co-write the screenplay to Conan the Barbarian

TIL
>>
Memento. Come get me faggots.
>>
>>67397990
>I really liked Dr Mabuse and Heat by Lang, but Metropolis is plain bad

hallelujah. First time I see this on /tv/
>>
Any movies baiting for Oscars are typically shit.
>>
Motherfucking Shawshank Redemption, I have no fucking idea how that sentimental, lifetime fucking afterschool special has the #1 spot on imdb.
>>
>>67396605
>>67397195
>>67397626
>>67397640
>>67397749
>>67397950
>>67398017
>>67398057
>>67398113
>>67399274

Quality points. I'll consider everything you've put forward.
>>
>>67398113
What exactly did you expect from a movie that has meme in its title?
>>
>>67396567
Vertigo.

When did a competent albeit generally average Hollywood thriller void of emotion and passable writing become the greatest film of all time?

Dawn of the Dead I couldn't see the appeal of. Every character is so unreasonable stupid, even by horror movie standards. Why is this better than Night of the Living Dead?
>>
>>67397195
Fucking this !
And fuck that soundtrack, loud, obnoxious and distracting.
>>
>>67396567
leon the professional
>>
>>67397893
I was just thinking about this the other day. He has acquired a lot of equity around his name and I can't for the life of me figure out how he's kept it for so long.
>>
Apocalypse Now and Chinatown are two massively overrated New Hollywood films.
>>67396581
Agreed.
>>67397195
Agreed.
>>67396605
Breathless and Band Apart. Everything though? His 80's output is mostly ignored and contain some of his best films.
>>67397640
Spielberg is underrated in general. His more serious films are overrated though. Agreed on the other two.
>>67397893
Was that before or after Scarface?>>67399584
Even if you didn't enjoy it, Vertigo is a pivotal film. And Dawn of the Dead is only overrated because Day is so much better.
>>
Badlands
>>
Spirited Away
>>
Everything from imdb best 100 films and other topics
>>
File: nhbgh.jpg (148 KB, 832x915) Image search: [Google]
nhbgh.jpg
148 KB, 832x915
>>67399449
form your own opinion tho and
>>67399920
completely ignore this
>>
>>67399584

void of emotion? are you serious?

one of the most perversely devastating emotional blows I've ever seen in an artwork. it's cripplingly emotional and incredibly beautiful.

also Dawn of the Dead is slightly better than Night partly because its social commentary is more interesting to me. The racial commentary in Night is fantastic too and that movie is a masterpiece but it's not quite as good as Dead imo.
>>
>>67396581
2001 a space oddyssey
>>
>Metropolis
interesting visuals, but ultimately boring film

>Fistful of Dollars
quite dull, though the last showdown was okay

>Hurt Locker
not a bad film, but mostly pointless. the action was just to show how terrible military deployment was in order to setup the end, but they do it over and over again essentially beating a dead horse

>Platoon
supposedly some parts of the story are based on the director's time in vietnam, but the rest of it feels like really bad hollywood schlock

>Strangers on a Train
maybe its just because its old but I could not get into it at all. loved Rear Window, though

>Silence of the Lambs
I didn't hate it, but cannot for the life of me understand how its so revered

>The Usual Suspects
well made but the twist was predictable. very overrated

>Terminator 2
has some cool stuff in it, but its very pandering. as far as i'm concerned T1 is the only movie that matters

>Deer Hunter
I actually like this movie, but the opening wedding sequence is fucking awful and adds character development that would have been better spent in vietnam

>Guardians of the Galaxy
not because its a "redditmovie" or whatever, but that it just felt really by-the-numbers like basically every other marvel movie

>John Carpenter
not really "masterpieces," but the only film I like of his is Halloween. all the others are just terrible
>>
>>67400250
>not really "masterpieces," but the only film I like of his is Halloween. all the others are just terrible
I agree with most of your post but this is one of the worst opinions I've read on this shit board.
>>
>>67400024
Nah it's shit
>>
>The Lion King
Simba is a little cunt and he should have been trampled to death not (spoilers)Mufasa(spoilers)
>>
>>67400250

only a gigantic fucking pleb would think that the movies you just posted are regarded as masterpieces

just because the gigantic pleb babies on this pleb board love those pieces of shit doesn't mean that they're considered masterpieces outside of here

the only great movies on that list are Strangers on a Train and Metropolis, and then The Thing and The Fog from Carpenter are both great too.
>>
>>67400250
>the opening wedding sequence is fucking awful
but that's the best part of the movie, you cretin
>>
>>67400638
let me guess: its kino
>>
>>67399274
wow, just wanted to make a thread about how this can be called "one of the greatest movies of all time"

Even Brubaker, I liked more
>>
>Boyhood

muh 12 years
>>
>>67401429
It was trash indeed.
>>
>>67396567
Avengers i just dont get its popularity tge same goes for the dark knight and any other marvel movie except for spider man.
Also every nolan flick, i liked only memento.
Inglorious basterds, kill bill
Vertigo
The departed
>>
I hate Kubrick movie i've seen. The Shining, 2001, Full Metal Jacket, Clockwork Orange.
I only liked Dr Strangelove.

I also found Pierrot le Fou mediocre, and Le Mépris was the most boring movie i've watched.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.