[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ex-Machina
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (190 KB, 1296x598) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
190 KB, 1296x598
What does /tv/ think of Ex-Machina? I just finished watching and fairly enjoyed it.
>>
>>67383071
Guess were just discussing capeshit today.
>>
If you have played a puppet you know a puppet is more fascinating than Oscar winning visual effects
>>
>>67383234
How so?
Also I enjoyed the AI themes since it's my field of research.
>>
>>67383233
you're posting at the wrong time...
>>
File: 1408866869088.jpg (5 KB, 260x194) Image search: [Google]
1408866869088.jpg
5 KB, 260x194
>tfw i fapped to kyoko immediately after the movie finished
>>
File: i_wanna.jpg (25 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
i_wanna.jpg
25 KB, 321x322
I wanna
>>
Boring, predictable, and something I would never dare watch again.

Seemed to take itself too seriously. Came off as pretentious with its simplistic themes.

That said, Oscar Isaac was great with the material he was given.
>>
it makes 0 sense for the ginger to release the AI, literally 0
>>
>>67383526
Except for the fact that he's SINGLE and he's a coder. Both are an exceptional recipe for loneliness.
>>
>>67383327
fuck that Jap AI.
>>
>>67383071
I watched it and Blade Runner last week, thought both were fantastic. But in both cases the endings left a little more to be desired. I like the "short story" style ending, where we don't get some final Hollywood chase+fight where teh her0 has to destroy the evil... but the 2 guys dying just makes little sense. Presumably:
>Oscar Isaac has absolutely no first-aid, no cameras for security purposes, no one to check on him ever
>Ginger guy's room has literally no way to escape
This just seemed a little too farfetched to me. Also, perhaps a little *too* depressing.
>>
>>67383624
he is also autistic, which means he has 0 balls to steal from his company
>>
>>67383690
I agreed the ending seemed very depressing
>>
>>67383354
While it did seem pretentious, I believe it did so intentionally.
>>
>>67383071
Definitly a good movie if I say so myself. Cinematography and acting were TOP notch. All 3 of those actors are amazing. Ending, while feeling a bit underwhelming, had a nice fleeting afterthought to the entire thing.

It had a great sense of discovery though, where everything was interesting and you feel like you are advancing and understanding a new concept. And in the end, if a movie can successfully deliver that feeling, thats all I really ask for.

Will probably watch it again at some point. Also I wish I had a robot loli
>>
i remember really enjoying it when i first watched it, but however many months later, literally all i can remember about it is I'M GONNA TEAR UP THE FUCKING DANCEFLOOR DUDE CHECK IT OUT
>>
it's a good film
>>
>>67383690
>>67384030
don't worry guys, studio execs will literally force tacked on happy endings to please people like you.
>>
>>67383690
>>67384030

>too depressing

Oh my god, It's like I'm actually talking to a focus group.
>>
Thought it was great. Something like this doesn't seem too far off. That's what gives it a creepy undertone to me
>>
>>67383526

Nothing about the last 15 minutes makes any sense.

>Nathan doesn't have a remote shut-down procedure in case the robots go rogue and just goes to beat her to death with a pipe instead
>Kyoko suddenly takes orders from Ava for no explained reason
>Helicopter pilot apparently doesn't even question why he's picking up a qt grill instead of a gangly ginger programmer

Honestly I've convinced myself that Nathan is an android, his death was faked, and Ava's escape was planned from the start, just because it makes everything marginally less retarded.
>>
>>67385419

No, the ending doesn't have to be happy, but it was definitely too edgy and forced. No reason the cuck had to die, they could have left him knocked out and awoken when the helicopter took off.
>>
>>67386684

>Nathan doesn't have a remote shut-down procedure in case the robots go rogue and just goes to beat her to death with a pipe instead

Pretty easy to believe he never thought he would be in a situation where Ava would get out of her habitat considering the security measures only he had access to to keep her in

>Kyoko suddenly takes orders from Ava for no explained reason

Kyoko had some level of AI as well, if Ava could feel contempt for Nathan Kyoko could as well.

>Helicopter pilot apparently doesn't even question why he's picking up a qt grill instead of a gangly ginger programmer

I agree with you on this one.
>>
>>67383071
I was disappointed they never showed her opening.
>>
>>67387113
>>Nathan doesn't have a remote shut-down procedure in case the robots go rogue and just goes to beat her to death with a pipe instead
>Pretty easy to believe he never thought he would be in a situation where Ava would get out of her habitat considering the security measures only he had access to to keep her in
I thought the point was that he wanted her to ultimately escape. That was her real test, not to see if she passed the AI "can you tell its a robot thing". I may have just connected dots that werent there though
>>
>>67387182

Well Nathan admits the test was to see if Ava could trick Caleb into being a means of escape so to an extent I guess. I'm just not sure if he actually wanted her to escape, what with the hitting of the pipe and the being stabbed to death.
>>
>>67387182
Its an AI box experiment senpai.
>>
>>67383693
He wasn't, and that wouldn't necessarily stop him from doing so. Stop projecting
>>
>>67383071
my opinion is that alicia wikander should of gotten an oscar for her performance in that movie than in the danish girl, guess movies like ex machina is too niche for those grumpy old men
>>
>>67387311
are you serious?
should fassbender also get an oscar for Prometheus?
>>
It's annoying that I have to accept that the genius was too stupid to put a link between the power outages and the moments the ai and the coder shared a box.
>>
>>67383690
It's because Nathan was suicidal

That's my theory, at least.
>>
>>67383071
The movie is ok. But the dancing scene is so great it surpassed the movie
>>
>>67383071
It was ok. But The Machine did the AI plot better
>>
>>67387233
Caleb got way too confident, he underestimated the stupidity of a first class beta male
>>
>>67383071
It's great, beta bitches always whine about the ending.
>>
>>67387340
not him but yes, even though prometheus was a fucking mess.. sci-fi has been discarded by the academy for too long.

as for the movie, i liked it even though there were flaws and it came off kinda like blade runner for retards/the new a.d.d generation
>>
Not a perfect and airtight plot but I really enjoyed it. I was never bored and never found it predictable, actually found that it maintained a very tense and suspenseful atmosphere for the entirety of its runtime.

I might not enjoy it quite as much the second time around, since not knowing and having that little tinge of fear was a big part of the experience, but I love all three of the main cast and would definitely watch again and enjoy.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.