[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's Terry Gilliam's worst movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: terry_gilliam_2851446b.jpg (65 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
terry_gilliam_2851446b.jpg
65 KB, 620x387
What's Terry Gilliam's worst movie?
>>
>>67344426
12 monkeys, no joke
>>
Brazil was boring and made no sense.
>>
The last one. You can almost hear the zeitgeist passing him by.
>>
Tideland

Horrible movie.
>>
>>67344448
It's ending is just a mess with no explanation. Can't believe some dweeb recommended a "LOOK IM ZANY N SHEIT" film to me. Fuck you Terry.
>>
>>67344514
The directors cut was better, and made perfect sense.

>>67344465
I didn't think it was terrible, but nor would I ever care to watch it again.

His worst movie, hands down, is "The Brothers Grimm."

>you now remember this movie even existed
>>
Life of Brian
>>
>>67344514
You say that but Sam's escapist fantasy makes sense in the context of the film and especially Sam being a coward:

Sam's fantasy self doesn't break free of the torture on his own, he projects the violent act of rebellion onto the renegade repairman character. Sam then runs to his mother for help because he can't handle anything on his own. Finally, he is tormented by his awareness of the misery he has caused as part of the system, which he can't confront.
>>
The Brothers Grimm
>>
>>67344547
it's more comprehensible but it's still an ending which relies on the audience seeing a down-ending as inherently artistic and interesting.

one thing I'm always surprised about is how few people seem to care that the Samurai fight blatantly rips off the Luke Vader Degobah dream in ESB.
>>
>>67346691
Nobody calls it a ripoff because Star Wars didn't invent the concept.
>>
>>67346691
>but it's still an ending which relies on the audience seeing a down-ending as inherently artistic and interesting.

This is honestly a huge problem. There isn't anything necessarily good about downer endings done for their own sake.
>>
I don't think I've ever enjoyed a Terry Gilliam film.
>>
File: ken_foree_dawn_dead.jpg (12 KB, 400x333) Image search: [Google]
ken_foree_dawn_dead.jpg
12 KB, 400x333
>>67347931
They are hard to enjoy. Some people, including me, just find them too sporadic and unfocused.

He does try to make genuine expressions from the human dream/unconscious mind though, and that is incredibly fucking rare in cinema.
>>
Has anyone here seen Jabberwocky? I haven't seen it but it seems to be forgotten in Gilliam's filmography. Not very good or what?
>>
>>67348211
I haven't seen it either, but I've always been a bit lazy. I think it's because it's so early into his career people think they can skip it the same way normal people don't talk about Spielberg's Duel or Cameron's Piranha 2.
>>
>>67348211
It's okay, but unsure if it wants to be serious or not-MP
>>
>>67348211
It's okay-ish. Feels like he was torn between being Monty Python funny and being more conventional. Casting Michael Palin as protagonist didn't help.
>>
Tideland is a very divisive movie. You either love it or hate it.

I fucking hate it.

That being said, his worst is probably Tideland.
>>
>>67344426
The Brothers Grimm

next
>>
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
You're now reminded of its existence
>>
>>67344436

12 Monkeys is awesome you faggot.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.