[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was this show popular? Was it a mid-2000s thing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: entourage.jpg (167 KB, 989x705) Image search: [Google]
entourage.jpg
167 KB, 989x705
Why was this show popular?

Was it a mid-2000s thing?
>>
>>67333416
It was good. It was male power fantasy. No one talks about it anymore.
>>
>inb4 Screen JEWnkies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJLXkxfexrE

This is actually pretty on point criticism, especially the thing about phones.
>>
>>67333416
It was one of the most acclaimed shows on television senpai. It got Emmy nominations every year for the first five years of its run

There was a severe drop in quality around its fifth season and a shift in the landscape of entertainment media (more writers are millennial aged liberals who think a male fantasy is bad in principle) it retroactively was seen as a bad show.
>>
>>67333416
I watched hoping one of them would OD badly or all of them.
>>
There were zero "fun" shows aimed solely at men. You had sports, and you had shit like The Man Show, but there really wasn't a scripted male fantasy drama. Women had their Sex and the City, Gilmore Girls, Grey's Anatomy, whatever else.

It had hot women in it. It had losers who mooched off their rich friend and got to fuck hot women and live a rich person's lifestyle as a result. Visually, it was appealing in the same way that eating like an entire bag of candy is.

It actually was not a bad show the first two seasons. Never tried to be anything too complex. Once Mandy Moore joined, it was all downhill, and then it fell off a cliff in later years the more popular it got.
>>
>>67333416
Jeremy Piven and Kevin Dillon are awesome in this, the rest of the cast is forgettable
>>
it's sex and the city for men, a shallow hedonistic consumerist fantasy where everything works out great for you and your actions never really have any negative consequences. the monotony of casual sex and drugs is broken only by the occasional dick/fart joke or a "dramatic" moment where things might not work out perfectly, but then at the last minute they do.
>>
File: savage species.jpg (93 KB, 736x654) Image search: [Google]
savage species.jpg
93 KB, 736x654
>>67333805
how dare you mention Gilmore Girls in the same sentence with those two fucking abortion shows

I will find you
>>
people act as though being the only "male escapist" show automatically makes it good.

it isn't funny at all and most of the time its boring as fuck

its a show for DUDE WEED LMAO faggots
>>
File: Californication.jpg (89 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
Californication.jpg
89 KB, 500x350
>>67333994
>the only "male escapist" show
It isn't
>>
>>67333994
OP asked why the show was popular, the answers addressed that.
>>
>>67333752

Well Vince got close to it
>>
>>67333568
>It was male power fantasy.
it is not really a fantasy though
>>
>>67333612
>Screen JEWnkies
he sounds like a beta fagtron
>>
>>67333949
>it's sex and the city for men, a shallow hedonistic consumerist fantasy where everything works out great for you and your actions never really have any negative consequences.
but Hollywood is this, especially when you are famous and young.

the show is about this microcosm that his Hollywood, nothing else.
>>
>>67333994

>it isn't funny at all and most of the time its boring as fuck

p much

vince and his manlet friend are annoying faggots

i do think ari and kevin dillion are pretty funny tho
>>
>>67333805
Gilmore Girls was not aimed solely at women, at least not after they realized they had a sizable male viewer base. It was the second highest rated show for Men 18-25 during its first four seasons.
>>
Pure capitalist ideology *sniff
>>
>>67333416
hipster trash
>>
>>67333612
>no black people

wew
>>
>>67333568

But it got cucked by female writers in the later seasons
>>
File: jessmariano.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
jessmariano.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
>>67334669

Jess is the best bf, anyone that says otherwise is a faggot
>>
>>67335030

show automatically is 8/10 if there's no black people
>>
>>67334669
Just because someone wrote that on Wikipedia doesn't make it true. I'd like to see an actual source that says that for four consecutive years, Gilmore Girls was the second most popular show for men 18-25. I would be astonished if that turned out to be true. It wasn't even in the top 100 most-watched shows.
>>
Kevin Dillon Net Worth: $10 Million. According to TV Guide, Kevin Dillon — whose net worth is $10 million — earned $200,000 per episode for his role in “Entourage.” Described as “the working actor's working actor,”
>>
>>67335070
They did have good chemistry, mostly because they were dating in real life. Even so he was a pretentious shithead, and Rory had terrible taste in men.
>>
>>67335251
>Described as “the working actor's working actor,”

heh this is what drama always wanted to be
>>
The lesser-known celebrity sibling holds a cruel fascination. Dave Franco, Alex Watson, Luke Hemsworth, the third Olsen. They can’t help but resemble knock-off versions of a designer brand: a bottle of Red Labial Johnny Walker whisky, or Hugu Boos perfume bought in a market. Only in rare cases can they hope to be judged on their own merits. So far, Kevin Dillon is being gracious about my interest in his brother, heartthrob Matt Dillon.

“I’ve been called ‘Matt’s brother’ my whole life,” he explains. Both have always worked as actors – but while the older Dillon found fame and critical adulation in 80s classics such as Rumble Fish, The Outsiders and Drugstore Cowboy, Kevin earned his keep playing bruisers and bullies in mostly forgotten films and TV movies.

And yet I am interviewing him in a plush suite at the Beverly Hilton so, at some point, something went right. That something was undoubtedly eight seasons spent portraying Johnny “Drama” Chase in the HBO show Entourage, a role he has reprised for the movie version, which is released in the UK on Friday. By the end of its run, in 2011, the show was a joke stretched thinner than an A-lister’s septum. But with its mindless fun and glittering Hollywood cameos, Entourage makes more sense for 90 minutes on the big screen than a decade on small.

The series followed the ascent of a hot young movie star (Vincent Chase, played by Adrian Grenier) and his hangers-on, including a less attractive, less successful, delusional wannabe actor brother, played by – well, let’s not labour the point. Most actors are flattered when you ask whether a role was written specifically for them, but Dillon’s face falls a little. “No, I auditioned,” he says. Didn’t he worry he would become a laughing stock, that people would just think the character was him? “I figured if it doesn’t get picked up, nobody would see it anyway, and if it did, it was a risk, but it’s been the greatest part of my career.”
>>
>>67335350

Drama was described as a “balding, unemployable douchebag” in the first episode and his tortures piled up week by week. Whether losing his temper in auditions, getting an erection in a brother-sister scene with Brooke Shields, shaving his balls or finding success voicing a cartoon gorilla called Johnny Bananas, the ritual humiliations grew laceratingly funny. “I cried myself to sleep when Roger Ebert singled out my performance in Licensed to Drive as the end of the golden age of cinema,” Drama laments at one point.

“I didn’t overly protect him,” says Dillon. “A lot of actors say: ‘Oh, my character would never do that,’ but the thing is, Johnny Drama would do that.” We discuss my favourite storyline, in which his insecure character begs his brother for $10,000 to get calf implants. “They couldn’t shoot my legs because I actually do have good calves. They look like implants,” Dillon insists, rolling his trouser up to show me a leg that looks like it’s been padded out with sweet potatoes.
Cast of Entourage
Dillon (on right) with Adrian Grenier, Jerry Ferrara, Kevin Connolly and Jeremy Piven in Entourage. Photograph: Everett/REX Shutterstock

Leg-pride notwithstanding, he can relate to other elements of the show. “The main reason entourages exist is what we call the ‘fallout factor,’” he says, alluding to the sexual opportunities enjoyed by anyone connected with a celebrity. “Matt was a teen idol when I was growing up, like Justin Bieber or the Beatles. Girls would figure out where he lived, drive by and ring the doorbell. And that wasn’t so bad for the younger brother … or the older ones.”
>>
>>67334119
It was a fantasy as in, a lot of people watched and wished they were part of the crew
>>
>>67335375

What about the lifestyle depicted in the series, based on producer Mark Wahlberg’s early experiences in Tinseltown, every episode of which featured copious weed smoking, a pool party, and famous actors acting like incorrigible assholes? “Well, that’s calmed down a lot now because of social media. Everyone’s a paparazzo. But when celebrities are afraid to party openly, they go underground where some really weird shit can go down.”

Probably not weirder than Drama having sex dressed as a pink rabbit, or meditating in his trailer with the mantra “I am not a pussy” to stave off panic attacks. The confused rage, insecurity and loyalty of being a sibling in the shadow made Dillon’s creation one of the more endearing characters of the noughties. He was nominated for three Primetime Emmys and a Golden Globe for his efforts.

Does he ever think Matt might be jealous now? “Nah. I asked [Matt] to be in it. I could play his stunt double.” I haven’t seen much of him since Crash, I say. “If you’re not in something successful, or you’re not around much, people think you’ve been out driving a bus,” he laughs. (I never thought Matt Dillon was driving a bus.) “He’s still banging away, he’s just picky. I couldn’t always afford to be – I had to pay the mortgage.”
>>
>>67335407

In person, Dillon is energetic and optimistic, though his round blue eyes suggest a hidden anxiety that makes him perfect for Johnny Drama. He is reminiscent of other people – Matt of course, shades of Kevin Bacon, even a blue-collar Benedict Cumberbatch. He has been mostly restricted to playing goofball knuckleheads, but he can do the harder stuff. He was scarily effective as Private Bunny, the baby-faced sadist in Platoon, one of his first jobs. “I showed Oliver [Stone] how to chew through a can in a bar, and he loved it. He said: ‘We’re putting that in!’ Mind you, in the 70s, cans would have been made of tin, not aluminium, so I would have broken my teeth. But no one ever mentioned it, so I probably shouldn’t say anything.”
Platoon

Dillon hoped the job would be his big break. But it’s a tough business, and for years he found himself propping up cheerfully trashy, late-night cable fodder such as Remote Control and The Rescue (in which a group of teenagers infiltrate a North Korean prison to rescue their Navy Seal fathers). He was reunited with Stone, to play musician John Densmore in the Doors biopic, after assuring the director that he was a great drummer – “Which I’m not.” I’m reminded of Johnny Drama’s fictional CV, particularly the special skills section, which lists “krav maga, conversational Hebrew, and skin-diving to 30m depths”.

But the parts got better over time, and then Entourage turned everything around in 2004. Given its success, he must surely be in a more powerful career position now. “I still have to audition! It never ends. That’s why I love all of those audition scenes I had to shoot, because I’ve been there, walking down the tight hallway, everyone up against the wall, shooting you that look – ‘Ugh, another guy.’”
>>
File: fggacj2rra3vyhdgache[1].jpg (76 KB, 1278x717) Image search: [Google]
fggacj2rra3vyhdgache[1].jpg
76 KB, 1278x717
Is this how Hollywood agents really act?

I wonder how accurate this show really is.
>>
>>67335451
Mindful that the interview has taken a turn for the bummer, I ask what he has got coming up. “That’s a little stagnant, too.” Oh. “Before this movie, I kinda felt like I was starting to fight my way out of being Johnny Drama, and then they pulled me back in. But I’m happy.”
>>
>>67335512
Marky Mark actually based him off of a real agent. Marky Mark actually said he had to tone it down a bit. That being said, this agent is absolutely infamous for his temper and attitude.
>>
>>67335149
http://www.gilmoregirls.org/news/144.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/13/magazine/the-myth-of-18-to-34.html

>But if you consider that a TV network's true audience is advertisers, then you're on your way to understanding why Tuesday night is, in fact, a big moneymaker for the WB. The network more than makes up for its abysmal ratings by charging an inflated ad rate for those few viewers its shows manage to attract. A 30-second commercial spot on ''Gilmore Girls'' costs about $82,000 -- nearly threequarters of the fee for advertising on an episode of, say, ''Law and Order: SVU,'' an NBC program that regularly has about three times the number of viewers. The WB gets away with this because its overall ratings, poor as they appear, were up 5 percent in the 18-to-34-year-old category last season, and while ''Gilmore Girls'' may be among the least-watched series on television, it's also No. 2 in its time slot among viewers aged 18 to 34.
>>
File: 1430030803268.jpg (97 KB, 620x504) Image search: [Google]
1430030803268.jpg
97 KB, 620x504
>tfw if this show come out today it would be called sexist and racist

Feels bad I miss the mid 2000s before all this cuckshit
>>
>>67333416
mid 00's was a cultural wasteland for everything from music, fashion, movies, etc, with a few good highlights.
>>
>>67336091

truly a shit decade
>>
>>67333416

Just think about why Sex and the City was popular
>>
>>67336091
Early 00s was fine, late 00s was the true death of pop culture.
>>
/tv/ gets so caught up in the vehicle for delivering the gags and ignores the gags themselves

its funny, take it for what it is
>>
>>67335543
>A sequel is rumoured to already be in the works. It’s gratifying that, although he now lives in Malibu, with a beautiful family and a few classic cars, there is a corner of Kevin Dillon that is forever Johnny Drama – dissatisfied, optimistic, praying he can land the next part. “Oh yeah. I’m still walking down that tight corridor. The difference is now they recognise me on the way in, so I get worse looks. It’s ‘Oh, I’m up against this guy. UGH.’”
>>
4>2>1>5>3>The Movie>6>8

7 isn't listed because it's true kino.
>>
File: 1346473163341.jpg (12 KB, 245x318) Image search: [Google]
1346473163341.jpg
12 KB, 245x318
>>67336257
>movie
>higher than any season
>>
>>67336442
higher than everything post 4 desu

should have ended in cannes
>>
>>67336508
no
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.