[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Hi, I'm the cancer killing horror movies right now (and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: mobile phone.jpg (133 KB, 1024x655) Image search: [Google]
mobile phone.jpg
133 KB, 1024x655
>Hi, I'm the cancer killing horror movies right now (and even the plots of non-horror movies)

How do we get rid of smart phones in movies that doesn't involve painful writing about bad signals or setting it in the 80's/90's?
>>
>>67278760
You can't.

Unfriended is the future of horror cinema
>>
>>67278760
Horror movies are cancer anyway.
>>
Smart phones are cancerous I agree, but what's the difference between that and land lines being cut?
>>
Didnt Stephen King make phones scary already?
>>
You don't get rid of them. You create a horror that makes them useless in the situation, or better yet an aid to the situation.
Like how if location data can be used whoever receives that information can guess where someone else lives by seeing where the location stops changing between 10pm and 7am the next day.
So you make a movie about a crazy app creator using the information given to him by his app users to hunt for new victims. The twist is that the app is some major commerce app that the city has become reliant on to function so it simply can't be shut down, or maybe the corporation in control if a social media app like facebook refuses to shut down because this app is their livelihood and doing so would lay off tens of thousands.
>>
File: cell phone evolution.jpg (6 KB, 261x193) Image search: [Google]
cell phone evolution.jpg
6 KB, 261x193
Give it 10-15 years.

By then everyone will be wearing their phones and have ocular displays. No one will stare down at a phone or hold that shit up anymore.

Then the only thing you'll have to complain about is the massive amount of POV segments in movies.
>>
>>67278829
The land line is your only connection out. Especially in a spooky mansion in the middle of nowhere

If you even destroyed one cell phone of a group of characters, 3 or 4 others would be able to call for help
>>
>>67278829
Landlines being cut establish the character's dominance over the situation, literally cutting them off from the outside world.

With smartphones you can just call the cops and call it a day.Yeah the cops aren't really reliable but you have some level of easy escape there.
>>
>>67278899
maybe they will finally fix movies and shorten them to 30 minutes with an intermission halfway to check your phone msgs.
>>
>>67278899
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FQ88BPzSTQ
>tfw it's already begun
>>
>>67278936
flat battery
>>
>>67278760
Water.
>>
Just say the ghost gives off such a strong EM field that it just fucks up cell service.
Bam, problem solved.
>>
>>67278894
Adding onto this you could make a movie like the Purge about a group of disgruntled people blowing up cellphone towers and raining hell down on small towns.
Or a movie like Her except instead of it being romantic, it's about a cyber terrorist who uploaded their mind into a program that they put on the Web hidden behind a children's fame, and they are convincing children to amass a robot body for them so they can do crazy shit. It can become a psychological thriller in the vein of the first Chucky movie or something. Some weird app telling an orphan with an old android phone to kill people and steal money so he can buy parts to build a body.
>>
>>67279014
I guess, but even then that seems pretty unrealistic.

>Oh no, the battery's gone!
>Oh no, my car broke down in the middle of a creepy town!
>Oh no, I did something they explicitly told me not to do and now I'm being haunted!
Just unrealistic, is all.
>>
>>67279068
Alternatively, EMP cannon.
>>
A more realistic approach would be cops not giving a damn and showing up 30 minutes later just to bag your sorry ass.

Having them showing up 5 minutes later and doing shit other than murdering a dog is unrealistic. Or why the hell do people in horror movies not have guns and if they do it's some POS shotgun or revolver. I thought this was America!

Face it, a realistic horror movie would be over so quick in the quiet suburbs of America the trailer for the movie would be longer. The suspension of belief is what keeps horror movies alive. If you want real horror make a movie about a serial killer who murders people in broad daylight in the city where everyone will either carry on as if nothing happens, assumes it's a show, or take out their phones and records the murder hoping it'll go viral while doing nothing to stop the killer.
>>
How about a movie where someone calls a 911 operator and begs them to stay on the line while they try to run and hide from a killer? It could happen basically in real time if the movie was taking place in an isolated location, with the 911 operator trying to keep the caller calm/alive.

>Growing friendship and desperation between caller and operator.
>Operator screaming into the phone when there's loud banging and then silence from caller.
>Signal starts to break up at crucial moment.

I mean, it might be cool.
>>
>>67279796
Wasn't there a movie like that with Halle Berry?
>>
Isolated rural setting, abduction, supernatural threats, etc. Certain scenarios and settings are out the window for horror movies, but overall the damage is exaggerated. Much bigger problem is that the zeitgeist is very antispiritual.
>>
>>67278899
>tfw HUDs will be a thing in your lifetime
>tfw the government can track you even better
Thank you, benevolent overlords. I'll be sure to report any suspicious activity to my assigned Tracking Officer.
>>
>>67278894
sounds like a decent plot you have there m8
>>
>>67279796

Kinda like that movie in real time with Elijah Wood and Sasha Grey?
>>
Is this thread for real? What the fuck. This is the most retarded complaint I've ever heard. Explain to me how having a cell phone would have helped in Jaws. Or Rosemary's Baby. Or The Exorcist. It doesn't make a fucking difference at all. Grow up.
>>
>>67279796
I remember something akin to this about a baby sitter in a house
>>
>>67280007
I have zero doubts that the NSA can read everything I write, I also have zero doubts that I don't matter enough to have my messages read. Problem solved.
>>
>>67280059
Google availability.
Wikipedia article on great whites.
LinkedIn about the satanists.
Latin translation software for the priest.
>>
>>67280111
I agree, fellow citizen. As long as we keep our heads down and our mouths shut, life under Big Brother is great. I get three square meals, and all the protection I could want.

Thank you overlords. You truly are great.

Nice trips too.
>>
>>67280059
Just call the police and they show up instantly to kill the murderer. How is this not hard to understand or unrealistic?
>>
>>67280234
>Just call the police and they show up instantly to kill the murderer.

There are so many way to make phones unavailable, you should feel stupid for not being able to imagine even one scenario.

>cell phone jammers
>no signal
>getting into water
>getting mugged
>other damage

of course these are only problems in desolate places.
>>
>>67280234
Have you ever seen any of the movies I mentioned? How fucking retarded can you be? How are the police gonna just show up and "instantly kill" a giant fucking shark? It's still the same movie retard. How are the police gonna come and "instantly kill" a demon possessing a little girl? What the fuck. Use your fucking head for one second.
>>
File: doofy.jpg (257 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
doofy.jpg
257 KB, 1252x1252
>>67280234
>>67280614
>cop shows up
>cop gets murdered
Bonus points if the killer comes up RIGHT BEHIND the cop, and the victims are screaming for the cop to look behind him, and the cop is just yelling at them to calm down and explain the situation.

Multiplier score if there are two cops in the squad car, one of them gets killed in this fashion, and then his partner stares on in stunned shock, shakily and slowly reaching for his gun while the killer advances on him as well.
>>
>>67278851

Cell was actually pretty good for new King, I liked it a lot and I hope he revisits the characters again sometime soon.

My idea for a movie:
A vanity obsessed teenage girl becomes convinced people are stalking her, then she finds out somehow, everything she videos, tweets, posts online becomes visible to everyone, everywhere through any screen imaginable and they'll watch no one else but her, no other people, no news, no TV shows or movies, just her and whatever she posts or uploads. Eventually she ends up having a mental breakdown because of the situation
>>
>>67280772
Or even better:
>whole swat team swiftly gets annihilated by the killer's easily avoidable traps
>>
>>67280776
Sounds like a twilight zone ep
>>
Signal jammer. They aren't difficult to build. It's feasible that a psycho slasher would possess the knowledge and resources to build one. Or steal one. Or a group of teens could be making a pact to go on a secluded trip with no phones. Plus they are usually drunk anyway so after a night of partying their phone batteries could be dead. Then power cut to building.
>>
>>67280692
>How are the police gonna just show up and "instantly kill" a giant fucking shark?
You shoot it. It's a fucking shark not a tank.

> How are the police gonna come and "instantly kill" a demon possessing a little girl?

Cops be shooting black people all the time without reason. Think they won't cap some poor little white girl who's spinning her head spewing up green vomit? That's a regular tuesday night dealing with crackheads for them.
>>
>>67280916

I thought so too, maybe because I read it in the voice of Rod Serling as I was typing it out.
>>
Teens go on a camping trip to have fun. They decide to charge their phones with car battery. The killer fucks up the car somehow while their phones are charging during the night.
>>
>>67278760
EMP the phones
Or just say the phone cracks in his pocket while being chased
>>
A teenager discovers his parents have a really cool mobile. It never runs out of power, the only problem is the only thing he can use it for is a sex chat line, however he soon grows tired of it, then the bills begin piling up.
>>
>>67279580
Isn't that the entire concept of a british show? Black Triangle, or something?
>>
>>67280059
Except all those films were made before cell phones, ya dip.
>>
>>67281333
HE WAS SEXTING WITH HIS PARENTS THE WHOLE TIME.
>>
>>67280776
Truman show?
>>
>>67279081
>horror movie realism

U wot m8
>>
>>67281531

Fuck, forgot about Truman Show for some reason.

Also The Prisoner kind of fits into the whole observance psychological shit considering The Village leaders pretty much watch everyone, everywhere with cameras they've got all over the place.
>>
Literally all smart phones have done is eliminate a very small segment if horror movies that have workarounds anyway

It's a non issue and if a horror movie can't reconcile it, it's got a shit tier writer anyway
>>
>no signal
>dead battery
>destroyed
>stolen/lost
>simply don't mention it or have them at all

The last is the preferable way to deal with cell phones in horror movies. Films only have to obey to their own internal logic. A film doesn't need to mimic real life in order to be realistic or immersive, if that makes sense.
>>
>>67280149
Literally none of those would help retard

Jaws wasn't a normal great white
>LinkedIn about satanists
???
>Latin translate for the priest
Would help with *demonic possession* how?
>>
>>67281037
>just shoot it
We had a military when jaws wad made too m8
>cops be shooting black people
Black people be chimping out. And why would parents call the cops to shoot their kid?
>>
>>67281858
If anything, our dependence on phones would only enhance the feeling of isolation when it [dies]

The people in this thread are retarded
>>
>>67281384
That's my point you fucking dolt. Wah wah cell phones are ruining horror movies. So imagine if they had cell phones when some good horror movies were made. Would they be any different? NO. Police? Yeah there's a big shark here. Go out on a boat and shoot it? Ok. SAME FUCKING MOVIE
>>
It's true that old slasher formulas don't easily translate to a world in which everyone is connected 24/7, but it just requires a bit of imagination on the part of the filmmakers (believe it or not, when they made the first Halloween, Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street they were original in their own way.)
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.