[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steven Spielberg secretly directed both The Empire Strikes Back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: content_poltergeist[1].jpg (59 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
content_poltergeist[1].jpg
59 KB, 500x375
Steven Spielberg secretly directed both The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Poltergeist (1982). Both Irvin Kershner and Tobe Hooper can't make films this good. Prove me wrong, faggots.
>>
>>67267792
nah
>>
File: 4chan Gold.jpg (11 KB, 213x250) Image search: [Google]
4chan Gold.jpg
11 KB, 213x250
>>67267792
I could see him directing Return of the Jedi but not Empire.
>>
I like Hooper but from everything I read he would have definitely fucked us Poltergeist if he wasn't babysat but Spielberg
>>
>>67267874
I agree with you but I feel like Hooper also contributed a lot of the actual horror elements of the film, like the face ripping scene and the decomposing corpses, as well as the subtle anti-Reaganomics themes and in general the atmosphere of living on top of (and making money off of) the bodies of those who came before, etc.

Don't give a shit about Star Wars so I wouldn't know anything about that
>>
Poltergeist is possible. I heard tons of supporting arguments as to how Spielberg directed it, and it seems like one of his movies.
>ESB
No way.
>>
>>67267792
No way he did empire, far as I know the only one he was involved with was Star Wars A New Hope
>>
>>67267792

Spielberg is great but ESB is not even close to his style.
>>
>>67267792
There's no child actors in empire strikes back. Pedophiles like him wouldn't be on the set.
>>
>>67268049
Munich
Minority report
Lincoln
War horse
The lost world
Indy 1,3,4
Bridge of spies
Catch me if you can
The terminal
!??
>>
>>67268029
I disagree. While many can agree that he mostly directed Poltergeist and told Hooper what to do, Spielberg ditched this style of awesome film framing around this time that was mostly inspired by Francois Truffaut. His films Duel, Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Poltergeist were shot in a very similar, Truffaut-esque fashion.

When Spielberg directed Raiders of the Lost Ark, you saw his vision changed a bit. The awesome framing was gone and replaced by more mild, panning effects very similar to The Empire Strikes Back (also remember Kasdan was also involved with Raiders).

Then Spielberg went with the more swooping panning effects like his segment in Twilight Zone - The Movie, Empire of the Sun, Hook. but I think Steven thought that style of filmmaking was a bit too hamfisted so he ditched it and went back to the mild, panning style that was very successful with Raiders, (Empire, perhaps) and utilized it in the Jurassic Park films.

Spielberg then liked the whole handheld camera style of filmmaking most likely influenced by the TV show Cops and utilized it in his more serious films like Schindler's List and Munich.

From there, it was either the slightly shaky camera of serious films or the mild panning of action films or period pieces like Lincoln and Amistad.

I think Spielberg had less influence on The Empire Strikes Back but it was definitely there since he was working on Raiders of the Lost Ark at the time. I'm quite sure there were a lot of phone calls and secret visits to the set. It's been proven that Lucas went to Spielberg a lot for advice while Richard Marquand was directing Return of the Jedi, but I feel Spielberg didn't influence Jedi much because it just wasn't very good and felt exactly like your typical Marquand film, framed better for dramas than sci-fi action.
>>
>>67268777
How and why do you know this?
>>
>>67268777
Jedi was good tho

Jabbas palace is comfy as fuck
>>
>>67267792
>Tobe Hooper can't make films this good
Except Texas Chainsaw Massacre was better
>>
>>67268777
anon if you turn this post into a youtube video, with clips illustrating your various claims it would be pretty damn entertaining.

Do go full chink and push it here too much though, like that "every frame a painting" slope.
>>
>>67267792
This scene fucked me up when I was a kid.
>>
>>67269015
He doesn't. Spielberg did second unit for Poltergeist and the story over the years keeps changing to more Spielberg involvement.
>>
>>67269120
It was always there, in one of the first interviews Spielberg did about Poltergeist he mentions that Hooper is easy to push around , can't control a big production etc. and that the film is his vision and not Hooper's. Maybe saying he directed the whole thing is over doing it but he had a ton of control over the picture since he felt he knew what was best since it was his screenplay.
>>
File: 1451338133754.jpg (63 KB, 550x309) Image search: [Google]
1451338133754.jpg
63 KB, 550x309
>>67269118
>he doesn't like kinoposting
>>
>>67269307
Exactly. Spielberg was a total control freak and worse than Michael Bay on the set back in the day. He had Peter Benchley thrown off the set when he complained that Spielberg changed the ending of his novel Jaws from the shark bleeding to death to it exploding from a scuba tank which I agree with Peter was totally ridiculous.
>>
>>67267792
>Prove me wrong, faggots.
Easy peasy.

Spielberg is too much of an egomaniac to direct a film and not take credit for it.
>>
File: meatballs-part-ii-3[1].png (301 KB, 663x367) Image search: [Google]
meatballs-part-ii-3[1].png
301 KB, 663x367
>>67269739
He was under contract with Universal while he was shooting E.T. He really wanted to direct Poltergeist but didn't want to wait another year or so to do it, so he did it in secret. Call it artistic integrity over egomania. He's more egomania on the set, less as an artist.
>>
>>67269739
Actually he's a workaholic, and did make sure to take as much credit as he contractually could in >>67269307.

>>67270035 is exactly right. He just got impatient and found a ghost director he could manipulate easily.
>>
>>67267792
I agree with Poltergeist as there's too much clear evidence that Spielberg was dominating the set whenever he was present. I also heard there were many occasions where Hooper wasn't even present during the shooting of scenes that would have required him.

As for ESB, while I don't think he did any actual directing, I feel he had more fingerprints on the SW franchise than he admits, at least as a creative consultant. He is, after all, besties with George Lucas, so of course they'd talk the projects over and Spielberg would offer his two cents similar to how he ended up naming Indiana Jones.
>>
>>67267925
Yeah, the home life scenes in particular felt like Close Encounters.

It didn't feel like the pale imitation of Close Encounters in Super 8 either. It fucking felt like a Spielberg directed family scene.
>>
>>67268049
Spielberg's got more than enough kids of his own to violate.
>>
>>67267874
It would've been undeniably different at least.
>>
>>67267843
I have a pass but I can't see it anyway, wth?
>>
>>67273570
>buying a pass
>when a Gold account is only slightly more

When will poorfags leave?
>>
I could definitely see Empire.
It has that "technically impressive but bordering on poorly paced" vibe that Speilberg always gives off.
>>
>>67267792
I find it funny that people are so swayed by memes that they believe that the reason Empire turned out good despite Kasdan's supposedly low ability was because of Spielberg, instead of Lucas.
>>
>>67273692
This.
Empire feels more like THX 1138 than A New Hope did, for fuck's sake.
>>
>>67269684
Bleeding to death would have made for one last good jumpscare before someone realized the shark is dead
>>
>>67273756
At least I got to watch a shark explode.
>>
>>67267792
>>67269119
Fun fact: those were Spielberg's hands ripping the flesh off the face there.

And I'm with you, I saw this movie way too young and it gave me nightmares.
>>
>>67273661
Minority Report and AI dont give off this vibe at all.

Most of his other movies do though i agree.

But i love his pacing
>>
Lucas storyboarded Raiders, I think. It's a bit silly to claim Spielber was the one who influenced Lucas, they both fed each other and made the other grow.

As to why Empire is good, and Jedi isn't, the answer isn't Spielberg, it's Gary Kurtz. Kirshner also had more creative input than you'd think, as he had just came back from Asia and was a bit obsessed with eastern philosophy/spirituality.

Poltergeist feels quite close to the Twilight Zone movie. He was also heavily involved in Goonies and Gremlins. You can feel his aura and production style all over them, but can also still see Miller, Dante, Hooper doing their things. It's a great collaborative thing.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.