[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Animated sitcom series have done the "dysfunctional family"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 5
File: been there done that.jpg (65 KB, 700x357) Image search: [Google]
been there done that.jpg
65 KB, 700x357
Animated sitcom series have done the "dysfunctional family" thing to death by now, so if you were in charge of coming up with a new format for the next big "Simpsons-esque" show, what would it be?
>>
It would be set in the future.
>>
>>67227787
Futurama, Rick and Morty, meh
>>
>>67227760
Robots, aliens, mutants, time travel.
>>
>>67227787
I like this idea. Imagine a slacker falls asleep on New Year's Eve and wakes up in the 31st century with robots and weird creatures all around and he has to find a job and try to fit in.
>>
A judgmental mother, dim-witted father, homoerotic son and unattractive daughter are set in urban America, only they're a a school of fish!
>>
Virgins in highschool trying to get laid.
>>
A kissless, virgin neet who still lives with his mema and constantly shitposts on /tv/.
>>
File: Homersimpson.jpg (7 KB, 190x265) Image search: [Google]
Homersimpson.jpg
7 KB, 190x265
>>67227760
>>67227787
Make it set in the past. During depression-era New York. Infinite jokes about gangsters, prohibition, suicides, World wars, racism not just at blacks, but also at irish/itallion/chinese immigrants during that time. It stars some Irish immigrant landing at Ellis Island with his family. Hilarity ensues.
>>
>>67227966
And I misspelled Italian. Owell.
>>
>>67227760
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaNmTwZyixg
>>
>>67227760
How come "F is for Family" isn't included in your picture OP?
>>
Set in an implausibly versitile MMORPG full of fantasy tropes and cliches to dick around with, where friends who have never meet in real life guild together and have all sorts of wacky adventures interacting in their dream personas, all the while the soul crushing weight of reality crushes upon them to the point of sometimes spilling into the game and bordering on dramedy.
>>
>>67228049
Funny you should say that, watching that show is the main reason why I made this thread. I just watched it for 2 minutes and said "wow this has been done a million times before."
>>
>>67227760
I got it, you're going to love this.

An overweight family man who is a bit of an idiot is married to a hot wife and has a fat son who says stupid things, a daughter who acts bizarre and is often ignored and the youngest sibling who acts super smart and knows everything. The series is about all the kinds of kooky stuff they get in to!

What do you guys think?
>>
>>67228068
We're making a show that's trying to appeal to the normie Fox audience, not weebs.
>>
>>67228047
>ITT: Pilots too good to be picked up as a series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbsDvGtTRWU
>>
>>67228137
>too good to be picked up

More likely due to high animation costs and not a broad enough audience desu senpai
>>
>>67227760
Magic school bus, except with college age kids.
I was gonna write more but I'm about to fall asleep. A college dorm with less of a focus on dude weed lmao would be q breathe of ducking fresh air.
>>
>>67228209
Are they still getting in wacky adventures thanks to a magical bus?
>>
>>67228121
>Implying Bazinga and casual gaming hasn't paved the way for a show like this
>Implying normies don't know what a MMORPG is

Also, no weebshit. The antithesis if anything of how that weird online sub-genre functions there.
>>
>>67228208
Exactly. Too. Good.
>>
>>67228118
I think you missed the point of the thread

You fucking simpleton. Jesus, What a retarded post
>>
Dad is a child molester
Mom is a necrophile
Daughter that used to be a son
Different son is a furry
This white suburban family recently moved to rural Nigeria and are having some difficulties fitting in!
>>
File: 54343434.gif (438 KB, 239x294) Image search: [Google]
54343434.gif
438 KB, 239x294
>>67227760
Something set in a kids' show neighborhood like Sesame Street, only the characters aren't sure how they got there or what their purpose is. During the episodes, they get urges to teach their audience lessons, but they don't even know who their audience is or why they think there's one to begin with.

Can have educational cutaways to teach the audience how to count, how to make a milkshake, how to watch the news, how to fuck, etc.
>>
>>67228335
Nice I like it
>>
>>67227760
A show about a bunch of hipsters trying to make a indie rock band and worshiping anco
>>
>>67228335
So are they self aware that they're characters on a tv show?
>>
Parents had just seen their last child leave the house, but now what? With retirement looming and an empty nest, watch as the quirky slacker father and the quaint religious mother try to fill the void!

Season 2 ends with one of the sons returning home, and maybe Season 3 is an Adoption arc.

The show is called "Nest Egg."
>>
>>67228326
not even saying this for meme yuks but

2 edgy 4 me
>>
>>67228388
>tfw my life

Except I'm like AnCo that I worship the beach boys
>>
>>67228319
I can't tell if this is bait, or you're one of the stupidest person on this board. Please be bait, and take the (You).
>>
>>67228544
*people
>>
Sometimes I wonder if normies would even notice that it's the same show over and over again.
>>
File: 2342232342.png (78 KB, 330x299) Image search: [Google]
2342232342.png
78 KB, 330x299
>>67228489
More like they haven't come to grips with it, I guess. Could even have secondary stories that focus on the puppeteers while the puppets lay there lifeless.
>>
Office setting
>>
>>67228209
This is actually a decent idea. I'd watch it.
>>
>>67228118
You forgot about the talking baby/dog/alien/goldfish/whateverstupidunrealisticcharacterthatcantalk
>>
>>67227760
Comedy animation about a dysfunctional NEET who is ordered by the court to be under parental custody, except one live in the US and the other lives in Japan.

Half the show would him be ecstatic being in Japan, but being shit on by their culture for being an outsider, while the other half would be him living in the US where he fits in, but hates the people and society. His only friends would be the guys he still talks to from High School who are all successful.

Have the show take a 1:1 ratio with the locations, so episode 1 is in the US, episode 2 is in Japan, 3 is in the US.. etc etc.

>Also, he has no motivation but needs money, so he tries to do get rich quick schemes but always fucks up
>His dad is rich as fuck but refuses to buy him anything, and wishes he was never born
>His mother is living with a trailer trash boyfriend who tries to get along with him but is constantly having to deal with the fuck up boyfriend at the same time

Call it East meets West, and make the MC look like a fatter version of Steve.
>>
>>67228209
I was thinking of doing something like this
>>
>>67228920
Stop pitching TV shows based on your diary.
>>
>>67228891
I knew it was missing something.

I should also add that the fat man does not have a good relationship with his dad.
>>
>>67229094
why not?
>>
A function family in a dysfunctional world
>>
>>67229170
Family Guy, American Dad, Cleveland Show, Bobs Burgers they all feature the father having a bad relationship with their own father.
>>
>>67229439
king of the hill
>>
Something like American Dad but without the pointless kids. Roger and Stan are all you need.
>>
>>67228920
>shit on by jap culture
hes a total weeb and is cringey as fuck in japan cos hes white otaku as fuck and explores the jap otaku scene. we get to see all the dirty nerd shit that happens in japan
in america his step father is a violent black gang member
it will be a dark comedy
>>
File: OH MY GAWD.png (81 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
OH MY GAWD.png
81 KB, 720x404
>>67229501
Fuck. You.
>>
>>67229643
that one song is about the best thing to come from Steve's character.
>>
Completely traditional white family with hardworking mentor father, loving housewife, 3 children etc moves to san francisco
>>
>>67229822
FotB
>>
>>67229640
>Making him black

Hold on a second there Tumblr.
>>
>>67229822
>white
It's 2016 though.
>>
>>67227966
This is brilliant.
>>
>>67229822
Your joke's already been done m8. >>67228118
>>
And it was a baby Ox
>>
>>67228335
Eric Andre-tier, I like it.
>>
A show set on a farm with farm animals.
>>
>>67230504
what's it about?
>>
>>67230530
The animals.
>>
>>67230530
communism
>>
>>67230578
but give me some drama
>>
>>67227760

I would disregard the family part and focus on this kind of shit

Show Name: Riff Raff

Merlin
a drug dealer who thinks he is a wizard, not a magician. No matter what anyone tells him, he is convinced he can do voodoo, and cast spells and curses.

Switch
Hustler since child hood, lives comfortably, but is horrendously addicted to cocaine which he started when he began confidence scams.

Nemo
Good luck finding him, robs pretty much everyone in the show at least once, lies low until everything dies down and is eventually welcomed back by whoever he has robbed.

John “Rambo”

Nobody calls him Rambo to his face unless they want to fight him, total meat head, constantly getting into trouble with the police just for the adrenaline rush. Probably the biggest scumbag and the most insane out of all of them. Is a debt collector for a living.

Peaches
Total fucking slag, ends up shagging everyone at some point

These are my characters, I just need to think of plot lines.
>>
>>67230691
sounds like something that could be as good as the Nut Shack
>>
>>67230782

says the guy with no ideas
>>
>>67227894
What is this?
>>
Takes place in the slums of some city. Follow some homeless guy on wacky adventures through the city, always end the episode on a seemingly high note then cut to him sitting in his own filth, crying and injecting heroin.
>>
>>67230875
too depressing
>>
It's an underground hard rock band traveling across the country chasing better contracts and pussy but the members are pretty weird, disfunctional, chaotic and even autistic in their own way despite being kind of talented and appealing to dumb hipsters.
>>
Shakespearean era. No pop culture references unless they really need to be made. Characters from all Shakespeare's plays interact. Supernatural stuff happens (but it's the characters' faults). Characters die here and there. Chaos ensues.

Animated like old, cheap Simpsons.
>>
>>67230613

Well you can take it into any direction really.
Have the relationship between the animals and the farmers to be an allegory for the relationship between the farmers and the government/EU that sets ridiculous demands on the farmers/animals, who have to find ways to deal with it. That would be the satirical/critical core of the show.

Then you'd have a large variety in the cast. Cats, dogs, swine, cows, chickens, sheep, what have you. The cats and dogs are realistically fewer in number in farms so they'd perhaps be the main protagonists whereas the cows, chickens, sheep, swine etc. would act more as a hive-personality.
Mice and rats and other rodents could be those that live "off the grid".

The farmers and the animals can't communicate with eachother but the cats and dogs perhaps semi-understand what the humans speak. They're the "insiders".

The humor aspect of the show fully depends on what type of show you'd want to make, but I'd like it to have a semi-serious tone/undertone due to the overarching plot of having the EU/government/farmers making life barmy for the farmers/animals.
You have the interraction between the animals and the farmers, where misscommunication is a standard jumping point, then the interraction between the animals.
The sheep don't like the dogs since they boss them around so much, the cows don't like the cats since they suck on their tits at night and leave the nips all bloody, the mice and the rats quarrel for resources, the swine are disgusted with themselves..
There could be a "secret animalhood" formed by one individual from each type of animal that have their own agenda and of course there is a Big Bad Wolf, the shows boogey-canine that is never seen but is a constant threat.
>>
>>67230579
Stalinism.
>>
>>67231014
This seems like something that would work much much better as an animated movie. Sounds great
>>
>>67230961
I'd love this, mostly because my grandfather is a HUGE Shakespear-fan and it would perhaps make him not think that all animated shows are "for the children of men and man-children
>>
Blend family guy and incredibles
dysfunctional superhero family NOT LIVE ACTION would be for a coupkle episodes
>>
This is a dysfunctional family but they are not an actual family. They are hyper intelligent monkeys who have escaped from a secret scientific research centre. They find themselves in a low income neighbourhood where everyone is to dumb to realise they are not humans, do they dress up as people, act the part, pretend to be a family and get jobs, go to school etc. dad is a gorilla, mums a chimp, 3 kids (slacker son might be a sloth or something, the baby is an adorable big eyes monkey of some kind but might actually be the oldest or smartest just looks most like a baby).
Crazy old uncle is a baboon and even crazier old grandma in an orangutan, maybe they have varying accents, African and Asian.
Most people are to stupid to notice but there are government led mercs or bounty hunters hunting for them
>>
>>67231320
Also one crazy neighbour is onto them but no one believes him. It's basically family guy with monkeys and a whole hell of a lot of racial undertones, most of them not even subtle. Poor neighbourhood where poor people are stupid and monkeys from various parts of the world voiced by black Asian and white people. Kids try and fit in at school parents try and fit in at work, they want to keep a low profile but there basic level of human intelligence makes them seem really smart to ordinary idiots. Crazy uncle baboon is basically Arthur Spooner and gets into random escapades and arguments with people draws too much attention. But no matter how badly they fuck up, people never really discover that they are not humans, coz they are too distracted/dumbed down by technology, stresses of modern life, desperation to be tolerant welcoming and diverse etc. social commentary and shit yo
>>
a lighthearted comedy about anon, his wife, and wife's son
>>
>>67231320
>>67231552
"Hail to the Chimpsons"
>>
>>67231320
Karl Pilkington?
>>
>>67227966
>chink immigrants in the 30s

No. Chinese Exclusion Act was repealed in 1943. Plus it doesn't make sense that you included Irish/Italians with with shitskin chinks. People are still racist towards chinks today; Italians/Irish, not so much.
>>
>>67227760
D E L E T T H I S
E
L
E
T

T
H
I
S
>>
>>67231857
Why?
>>
>>67231891
He's Seth MacFarlane. He doesn't want people to come up with better ideas than him.
>>
>>67232157
So he makes these threads to prove himself right? lawl
>>
>>67232157
Seth is playing the piano right now.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.