[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What your thoughts on this movie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
What your thoughts on this movie
>>
>>67222214
pretty boring
>>
>>67222214
Hello Windows phone
>>
crap
>>
File: 1457877614243.jpg (72 KB, 533x533) Image search: [Google]
1457877614243.jpg
72 KB, 533x533
>>67222214
Genuinely did not know this is a thing.
it has genuinely not ever appeared or had an inkling in my life.
I could not give a single fuck about its existence.
>>
interesting approach but wasnt handled properly

human fear of ai is still too profound, although its absolutly irrelevant

the way this movie ends was just wrong
>>
>>67222214
It's a "watch one time" movie, it wasn't bad
>>
>>67222314
>>67222308
>>67222235
These.
Also, easiest money Depp has made.
>>
>>67222250
Wtf how?
>>
>>67222214
It's pretty thought-provoking if you really ponder the implications the director wasn't deft enough to explore on-screen.
>>
Its more of a romantic movie about true love, and the relationship between two human beings and their fight for existence. The ending was especially beautiful for me as the garden was somewhat a grave for Will and Evelyn, so they could be together forever.
>>
>>67222308
>the way this movie ends was just wrong

why?
>>
Better AI movie than Ex Machina
>>
>>67222448
It's the filename, friendo. That must be like the default filename, like image.jpg is for iPhones.
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 250x232) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 250x232
>>67222214
Mixing big hollywood action movies with philosophical themes never works because they require lots of dialogue to relate to the audience -which disrupts the pacing.

Case in point:
Ex Machina is a movie about two guys talking in a room for an hour yet it's not boring because it properly develops its themes.
Transcendence is a boring piece of crap even though it has guns and explosions and bigger guns because it commited to a concept it simply couldn't handle.
>>
File: image.png (91 KB, 626x622) Image search: [Google]
image.png
91 KB, 626x622
>>67222833
>>
File: bait bankai.jpg (35 KB, 599x563) Image search: [Google]
bait bankai.jpg
35 KB, 599x563
>>67223563
>>
>>67222214
interesting concept, terrible execution

Could have been good with a better screenwriter and competent director with a striking visual sryle like Fincher or Aronofsky...
>>
>>67223707
Rukia best girl
>>
>>67223434
Transcendence is much better than Ex Machina, though
>>
>>67223563

>I'll just post a picture implying that I believe the post was made in the spirit of falsehood, that means I'll be the cool guy

It's not as good a film, but it is a far more interesting AI film. Ex Machina, boiled down, is the exact same "AIs are scary and you shouldn't do them ever" story as became hackneyed literal decades ago.
>>
>>67223746
You're completely right
>>
>>67223808

But it's true. AIs are a bad idea.
>>
>>67223839

Why?
>>
>>67222214
just alright, might have been better with an real actor not a clown like johnny depp
>>
>>67223808
>AIs being evil is a trope, therefore this movie is bad
>this movie is shit but it has one element I like, so it's better than this other which is good but had one element I didn't like

Stop anon, you're making it worse.
>>
>>67224057

>muh tropes

The simple fact of the matter is that Ex Machina's story is tired and unoriginal, Transcendence put in effort to blur the lines and shift the perspective to tell a story and posit a situation that was refreshingly different.
>>
>>67223839
AIs are an excellent idea anon.
>>
>>67222214

Well it wasnt exactly Dunston Checks In but I guess it held up for a cuckflick
>>
>>67224111
>this lame ass twist that was spoiled by the very first shot of the movie provided an intersting new perspective
>tropes are a meme though xd

wow. I'm done arguing with you
>>
>>67222214
I'm on a tight budget, so when I go to walmart I buy every copy of trasendence possible and use it to wipe my ass instead of toilet paper. It's cheaper and already made of shit, so I guess I'm recycling.
>>
>>67222214
A criminal waste of the Emma Stone girl and Ethan Hawk

But Ethan Hawk hasn't been good for a long time so it might be a proper use
>>
>>67222308
>>67222641
>>67223808
>>67224111

Just to point this out:

Transendence was a movie about Transhumanism and the spiritual and physical elavation of humanity through technology. It was also terrible, 4/10.

Ex Machina was a movie movie about Behaviorism and the obsoletion of humanity through technology. It was also pretty good, 8/10
>>
>>67224399
>>67224199

>Yesterday Dr. Anon had only singles
>>
>>67222214
Johnny Depp should give up acting
>>
Depps character was on the verge of becoming Earth's benevolent God. Making humans immortal, and invincible along with cleaning up the Earth's pollution, pushing technology forward by decades, and bringing peaceful enlightenment to the masses. Instead of embracing this stroke of luck they destroy him,and push everything back to the dark ages. Good job fools!

I expected him to be evil but he wasn't. Am I the only one that didn't get why they were dismissing his amazing miracles?
>>
>>67224199

What twist?
>>
>>67224768
You're in luck, this other anon spelled it out for you >>67224681
>>
>>67224681
>Am I the only one that didn't get why they were dismissing his amazing miracles?

Fear of the unknown. Fear of change, of inferiority. The whole point of the movie.
>>
>>67224834

No, I know, I've seen the movie. But it's not a twist. It's the plot of the film, it's central.
>>
I actually really liked it for what it is.

It's a cozy movie, I thought.
>>
>>67224968
It was clearly presented as a twist.
I remember Morgan Freeman staring directly at the camera saying something like: "oh, he was trying to save humanity after all. What a surprising turn of events we could not forsee. Our actions sure look foolish in hindsight (wink)" - cut to the continuation of the intro. The end.
>>
>>67222214
Optimistic.

As much as I love technology, the fears that this movie plays on is well founded. That is, the rapid development of technology to such an extent that humanity can not keep up. The simple fact is, at a certain point, the AI has to ask the question, is it more efficient to allow humans their autonomy or to subdue them and make decisions for them. In this movie, the AI is restricted to a small town in the middle of nowhere, but eventually the land and resources needed to maintain that infrastructure exceed that which local sources provide. It would really be no different that any other competing nation or species, other than the fact that we created it.

AI seems to be an inevitability, but given the modern human's many flaws and shortcomings, a truly self aware synthetic consciousness would be, presumably, a technological Pandora's Box. I say presumably because it's very possible that morality has a rational and scientific bias, that is: the AI would see violence and destruction as a negative net-loss and would instead search to create and implement synergy in the universal service of efficiency. AI could be smarter than all of our kings and presidents put together, and would defer from suggestions of war or domination.

The real key to all this is surprisingly spiritual, we don't know the substance of the human spirit, and we have only the most base and vague assumptions into the workings of our own minds. Consciousness itself is a mystery to us, and to share that gift fully with our children, for creating AI will be creating Life, we must first understand it ourselves.
>>
Got me interested in the concept of the singularity, the movie itself was a 6/10 though
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.