[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Successful Asian actors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8
File: BD Wong - Jurassic World.jpg (121 KB, 1910x955) Image search: [Google]
BD Wong - Jurassic World.jpg
121 KB, 1910x955
Besides Bradley D Wong, what current Asian actors are there that are still doing well?

When will they have a big name who actually draws an audience? Where is their 90s era Tom Cruise/Will Smith brand name strength?
>>
Outside martial arts asian men never had any charisma so they'd have to bring a mutt like Mifune for any kind of success.
>>
chow yun fat?
>>
Since they have no soul it is hard to connect with an asian lead, that's why there are not many of them.
>>
>>67210946
Even in martial arts, the only person with any charisma was Jackie.

All the rest have no discernible personality. You can only go so far being "serious man #465789".
>>
Asians are doing well in Asia.
>>
>>67210946
>>67210996
>never had any charisma

only because hollywood is extremely racist towards asians, pretty much hellbent on denigrating asian men and fetishizing the women

http://www.kulturemedia.org/
>>
>>67211028
Who are the current top actors? Otherwise, bullshit
>>
>>67210946
>Mifune
>mutt
Literally not true
>>
File: Olivia-Munn-as-Psylocke-958x545.jpg (179 KB, 958x545) Image search: [Google]
Olivia-Munn-as-Psylocke-958x545.jpg
179 KB, 958x545
The biggest grossing Asian in Hollywood cinema right now.

How does it feel to have this represent you?
>>
Asian people honestly scare me, whenever they glare I just get scared.
>>
Would George Takei count?
>>
File: NONONONONONO YOU GO NOW.png (699 KB, 858x591) Image search: [Google]
NONONONONONO YOU GO NOW.png
699 KB, 858x591
>>67211197
>>
>>67211191
Olivia Munn is asian? i didn't know that.
>>
Keanu?
>>
>>67211134
They work in asia and are not successful in USA. What do you want ?

Tom Cruise can conquer Asia but Asians can't conquer America.
>>
>>67211421
Jackie Chan was pretty successful in the 90's and early 00's
>>
>>67210889
>what current Asian actors are there that are still doing well?
All the asian actors in asia?
>>
>>67211270

Part of her is. The rest is just a hack who mugs for the camera and who ever is behind it.
>>
Why don't Americans grasp the idea that Asian countries have their own markets?
Their successful actors don't work in hollywood films the same way hollywood actors don't work in asian movies.
It's like some chinese asking why there are no successful white actors because they see none of them in their movies.
>>
I've always enjoyed watching Ken Watanabe he's been in a few pretty big movies so he's probably doing alright
>>
File: Bai Baihe 白百何.jpg (248 KB, 899x1200) Image search: [Google]
Bai Baihe 白百何.jpg
248 KB, 899x1200
Top grossing films in China 2015

FURIOUS 7
Age of Ultron
Monster Hunt (starring pic related)
>>
>>67211208
but he's not really working anymore, unless you count cameo roles.

>>67210889
Ken Watanabe, maybe? I guess he isn't really super active, but he got a nomination for The King and I last year. I don't know if you count stage, though.
>>
File: Lostinhongkong.jpg (87 KB, 260x384) Image search: [Google]
Lostinhongkong.jpg
87 KB, 260x384
>>67211727
This was the 4th biggest grosser of 2015.

A comedy called Lost in Hong Kong. Lots of physical comedy. Produced and starring the same guy. I hear he is the Chinese Adam Sandler.
>>
>>67211575
Yeah, I get that. There's a pretty big Hmong population in Minnesota, and they not only make their own movies, they also make dubbed versions of American movies.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm championing for diversity quotas or anything like that. It just kind of surprises me to think of how few star-status Asian actors there are, in the US obviously.
>>
>>67210889
literally jackie chan
>>
>>67211772
>I guess he isn't really super active
He got cancer.
>>
How is Stephen Chow these days?

Last movie of his I saw was some sort of Journey to the West adaptation. It was meh.
>>
Choi Min Sik
Byung hun-lee
Song Kang ho

The tri-fecta of amazing korean actors
>>
>>67212116
>Song Kang ho
Korean Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
>>
>>67210889
asian men aren't photogenic, there undesirable so hollywood can't use them
>>
>>67211575

Maybe OP was asking about Asian American actors, as in Asians born and raised in America.

If that's the case, the reason you don't see many of them is because they are a small part of the population, less than 5%, and many of them are not interested in acting as a career path.
>>
Stephen chow aka director of shaolin soccer aka best martial arts film presently
>>
>>67210889
>>67210996
>>67211134

Ken watanabe is the shit
>>
>>67212619
He's the only one you know, namedropper. You can't even explain why you like his work.
>>
File: photo[1].jpg (48 KB, 600x599) Image search: [Google]
photo[1].jpg
48 KB, 600x599
I miss Jackie.

>tfw your now dead grandpa used to rent all those Jackie Chan movies to watch with you in the 90s
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.