[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can this refresh the franchise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: aliencovenant-logo-700x394.jpg (31 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
aliencovenant-logo-700x394.jpg
31 KB, 700x394
Prometheus was...forgetful, at best.

Can this movie bring alien to a new generation and give us die hard fans something to look forward to?
>>
>>67194163
No alienfags here?
>>
>>67194163
Well considering it is not starring Fassbender or that women from last movie, it seems like a fail
>>
>>67195225
That fucking sucks. Fassbender was probably the best part to me.
>>
>>67194163
No its headed for disaster.
Watched the martian last night in bluray.
Scott has lost all his magic
>>
>>67195971
Oh I hated the Martian! I agree he is not the same
>>
Isolation film adaptation/sequel fuckin wen?
>>
>>67196129
It had so much potential,but the crew was stiffer than a rich bitch,ground control with epic nigger scientist,stupid one liners like IM GONNA HAVE TO SCIENCE THE SHIT OUT OF THIS and bad camera work(seriously movie looked like it was made with gopro) made it major disappointment for me.
Should have rewatched Europa Report not this bs.
>>
>>67196201
its called Alien 1979 newage.
Watch it in REMUX you will see what I mean.
>>
>>67194163
If its more Alien than Prometheus then it should be good. Plot sounds good too.
>Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world -- whose sole inhabitant is the "synthetic" David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition

>>67195225
>>67195329
Fassbbender is in it. Rapace isn't.
>>
>>67196488
>If its more Alien than Prometheus
nope, Ridley does not want to include the alien at end of Prometheus because this movie apparently has nothing to do with aliens despite the title.. wtf
>>
>>67196488
>Fassbbender is in it. Rapace isn't.
WTF makes no sense
>>
>>67196562
he was good, she not so much

what's there to confusion?
>>
>>67196562
She gets killed off by David early in the movie, apparently. You know, to wipe the shit-stained slate "clean".
>>
Aliens ruined the franchise
it was enjoyable, but it ruined everything
>>
>>67196915
There was need to make it a franchise I appreciate aliens for being its own movie and not a rehash of alien
>>
>>67194163
why should alien movies cater to die hard fans?
>>
>>67196915
Aliens diversified the Alien franchise.

it's an easy way to basically not pressure yourself into making a better sequel, and instead appeal to a wide range of categories.
>>
>>67194163
>>67194163
the franchise died with ALIENS
it died and died again with Alien3 and resurrection
let it fucking rest in peace
>>
>>67194163
Fuck Scott. Fuck Fassbender. Fuck shitty writers, and fuck franchise reboots fuck it all. You fucked up with Prometheus what makes you think people are gonna want to see 4 more fucking movies when you wont show a single xeno and I pray to christ on the cross that you dont show any Xenos Scott cause you wont even get that right.

What the hell happened to you dude seriously.
>>
>>67198023

See you in the theater, anon!
>>
>>67198057
Evrytim.
>>
File: image.jpg (456 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
456 KB, 1920x1080
>tfw I liked Prometheus

It was a thousand times better than the shitshow of Alien resurrection.
>>
>>67198023
they also fucked up the Predator movie series too.. the new one is a reboot so all the AVP movies and all the Predator movies never happened.. FUCK THEM
>>
>>67198209
>he new one is a reboot so all the AVP movies and all the Predator movies never happened.. FUCK THEM

That is not fucking true, do some fucking research

http://collider.com/predator-reboot-sequel-shane-black/
>>
>le alien series is le good meme!

Go back to ribbit and take these fucking capeshit posters with you.
>>
>>67198259
i am still not convinced considering this article is from 2014 and I recently read newer articles that stated it was a reboot. i will see how things go
>>
>>67198289
>aliens is capeshit
are you seriously that fucking retarded to call the alien movies in the same genre as capeshit?

are you serious in thinking all alien fans are from reddit? really what the fucking fuck
>>
>>67198376
>>
>>67198352
Not him but yeah its a reboot. With Shane Black of all people I mean who better than the dude who was actually in the original. It will probably be shit aswell anon. I doubt theyll disregard the predator movies but those AVP ones I hope went straight to the compactor. Games are slightly better desu.
>>
>>67198352

Did you just see the word reboot and turn off your fucking brain?
>>
wait, will there never be a Prometheus pt 2?
>>
>>67198449
Anon...
>>
I liked Prometheus and maybe the next movie will be ok. Sure, it wasn't nearly on the level as Alien or Aliens, but load better than those horrid AvP movies.
>>
File: sneke.png (720 KB, 501x668) Image search: [Google]
sneke.png
720 KB, 501x668
>>67196861
>She gets killed off by David early in the movie, apparently.
Cool. Then maybe one of the new crew members will come into contact with an alien that's acting like a cobra would back on Earth and reach out and try to pet it.
>>
>>67194163
If they use CGI the alien will just look fake and completely take the viewer out of the experience. People act like costumes & makeup look like shit when they couldn't be more wrong.
>>
>>67198800
Directors bait you with that shit in interviews then when theyre 2 months into filming they give up and bring out the green screen.

The THing Prequel was supposed to have some badass practical effects but I guess not from what i saw.
>>
>>67194163
It's literally impossible for this to be worse than Resurrection so I'm going to be slightly optimistic and say it will be ok.
>>
>>67194163
>Covenant
Oh, gee. I wonder if there will be more ham–fisted Jesus shit shoehorned into this one?

Y'know, instead of an actual story written by an actual writer?
>>
>>67194163
Well let's see, shall we? What do we have so far...

The original alien is basically just a very slow-paced slasher movie set in outer space, with some great effects hidden by shitty camera quality. Actually kind of a slog in pacing, but that builds an absolutely phenomenal atmosphere. Only movie I can remember that comes close is The Thing; there's just a gigantic sense of dread aboard the ship given off by the darkness, smoke, and the architecture of the ship. You'd never see something this slow and quiet ever come out of modern Hollywood.

Aliens is more of an action-packed thrill-ride affair. Takes the lore, effects, and a little bit of the dread from the original, and just amplifies everything up. Against, has slasher vibes, but they're far more actiony. It's more of an endurance film where every little thing is eating away at their chances of survival, killing off characters and equipment. Cooould possibly work again, but needs really good directing to keep the sense of dread. Ironically the Martian is kind of a nonviolent version of this slow degradation.

Alien 3 and 4 I don't like, mostly because they feel much more mixed in terms of what they were trying to do. 3 is clearly aping the original, but can't build the same atmosphere and the acting isn't as good. Criminals aren't as good a stand-in as space truckers. 4 is just weird sci-fi trash of the era, and kind of generic.

AvP is an PG13 action movie, and basically does nothing interesting beyond some interesting matchups. Standard VS affair; watchable, but nothing good. AvP2 is the same, but done for the R crowd with much less budget. Pretty bad, but has interesting moments (not worth watching though).
>>
>>67199000

Prometheus is... awful, in my opinion. Way too much 'too deep 4 u' shit going on, it gets too invested in its own mythology and doesn't bother to tell us any of it. Original script slated it more as Aliens-like with some lore dumps to keep interest (pre-modified facehuggers, albino alien, early space marines), which had potential. Problem being that some point through development, someone convinced Scott to ditch all the actual ties to the franchise and make some bullshit about god and creation. Pretty, but dreadful.

Covenant is supposed to be 10 years after Prometheus, in which another shipful of morons find David and presumably all get their shit murdered by the proto-alien (maybe it turns into a queen, I dunno). Honestly, considering that the Prometheus was implied to be the top scientists onboard a magic super-ship that could make it to LV-426, 10 years feels like far too little time, unless a competitor's ship was already going there. But since Scott took out all the references to their mission being about trying to find alien terraforming technology (which makes sense given their colonizing racket in the future) and instead made it about the search for god, there's no reason why anyone would be competing to reach it first.

Lore-wise, sounds shit. It's also probably going to try and ape the original in terms of tone and plot, just like 3 did, and fail for the same reasons that film did. Unless the ship has marines and they make it Aliens, I'm betting it's going to be bad.

Oh, and if they do like >>67198961 suggests and continue on the 'search for god' route... well, I'm just glad Fassbender is getting paid for this shit. He's a good actor.
>>
>>67199015
Third option: its a straight Alien remake a la "The Force Awakens". Brain-dead Alien fans eat it up not realizing it's yet another cold lifeless/cynical cash in and declaring it "way better than the last three, at least"!
>>
>>67199116
Force Awakens had a consistent tone and pace at least (apart from when they go sit in that CGI monster's tavern for like 20 minutes and slow everything down. Oh boo hoo, the empire shot them - that's not enough to dedicate a recuperation segment of your movie for. You put it AFTER a traumatic event, like losing Hoth.)

Anyway, Aliens thread. I don't see it being a hard reboot, but I could easily see it being a soft reboot ala 'the thing remake'. And we all know how that turned out - remove the slow pacing and mood and you all but obliterate your atmosphere.
>>
>>67199191
>Force Awakens had a consistent tone and pace at least
>at least
That sure is one hell of an endorsement, Anon. You sound like you're describing a televised golf tournament.
>>
Just turn off your tv and enjoy, op.
>>
>>67199255

Star Wars: Get In The Hole is coming out in 2018.
>>
>>67199015
>some point through development, someone convinced Scott to ditch all the actual ties to the franchise
Scott started insisting Prometheus was "the same universe but not a prequel" so early on that I have to believe it was his own dumb idea. He also originally planned to take the second installment of his planned trilogy "further away from the alien series" but now it's openly an Alien movie, so I think someone tightened up whatever screw he had loose.
>>
>>67199255
And yet they rejected it as a critic quote for the DVD.
>>
>>67196536

>this movie apparently has nothing to do with aliens despite the title.. wtf

http://geeknation.com/ridley-scott-says-alien-covenant-will-have-chest-bursters-and-face-huggers/
>>
>>67199335
He's eclectic as a filmmaker, but not actually a bad one. Scott isn't the problem. I just don't think Fox would allow a slow-burn sci fi slasher in this day and age, which is what this is probably aiming to be.

Alien: Engineers is actually a decent read if you want to know what Prometheus would be like as an alien movie. There's some duuuumb stuff in that early draft (it uses the phrase 'meat plug' to describe a marine stuffed in a vent), but it has a weird kind of 80s sci fi charm - the kind where you could get away with that nonsense. It's reminescent of the first two films, but much moreso of Aliens - right down to; going to a planet with aliens on it, marines getting killed en mass, the main character being stuck in a strange location with a facehugger, some corporate robot asshole ranting about them being perfect, etc etc.

It even has a parallel to the Queen fight at the end where main girl is supposed to fight the Albino Alien in a metalstorm with a plasma cutter. Slightly better than running in a straight line away from a rolling ship IMO.
>>
>>67199338
>"Could be worse!
My personal favorite.
>>
>>67199514
>He's eclectic as a filmmaker, but not actually a bad one. Scott isn't the problem.
I don't think he's a bad filmmaker at all, I just think he screwed the pooch on this particular movie. When you go read the development history of Prometheus it was Scott that wanted to tone down "Alien: Engineers"'s references to Alien. He brought in Lindelof with a mandate to revise the script in the opposite direction. In interviews he was the one insisting it's not a prequel and that Prometheus 2 would take that story further from Alien than Prometheus. Fox originally conceived this project as a reboot, so maybe that's what he was really pressing for - ensuring that he wasn't retconning away his own work by starting a parallel story.
I also think the final product was more of a "slow burn sci-fi slasher" than the original script would have been, as you say that has a more Alien vibe while Prometheus tried to propel itself on spooky ambiance alone.
>>
>>67199855
*Aliens vibe
>>
>>67199855
Hm, I think I can see that. Alien was his movie, after all - not only would he want to keep it relevant, he might not have liked the idea that he was doing more of Cameron's interpretation than his own, and turned it into more slow-burn.

Can I still think Lindelof is a fucking hack for doing what he did to the script?
>>
>>67194163

When your rotten corpse will be underground for decades, this movie will be celebrated as a masterpiece.keep hatin.
>>
>>67200040
>Can I still think Lindelof is a fucking hack for doing what he did to the script?
No. You are now required to celebrate his entire filmography.
>>
File: tumblr_lt0sf1JfRg1qa1o5zo1_500.jpg (114 KB, 500x447) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lt0sf1JfRg1qa1o5zo1_500.jpg
114 KB, 500x447
>>67200288
>>
>>67194163
Fuck that i want my blomkamp movie
>>
>>67201416
You'll take your Prometheus 2 and you will like it.
>>
>>67198352
[Citation needed]
>>
>>67198352
It was originally announced by the studio as a reboot and then the very first comment Shane Black made was that it wasn't a reboot, so all reporting is inconsistent on this point.
You don't have to reboot or retcon anything in the previous movies if you want to ignore them, just put the predator in a different place with a different group of people who never heard of the events of the other films.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.