[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck was this guy's master plan when he landed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (35 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
35 KB, 1280x720
What the fuck was this guy's master plan when he landed in the North?

Even if he captured Winterfell, it would have been about 80 gajillion miles until he got to King's Landing. An army of mercenaries, northerners, and maybe wildlings would not be the ideal army for a protracted campaign if military genius here was going to save King's Landing for last.

I don't even care that he burned his daughter, I get that he was pussy-whipped by the priestess and stopped thinking for himself a long time ago. But what the fuck was anybody thinking when they landed in the North. They cleaned out a wildling army but they didn't stick around for the White Walkers, they just moved on and then died.
>>
>>67133885
Aside from "doing the right thing" by helping out the Wall, I think his plan was just to gain followers and get at least one piece of the kingdom on his side.
>>
>>67133885
It makes no sense because D&D deviated from the source material again for their own fan fiction.

>that "You are my daughter" speech
>oh wait the audience actually likes Stannis now
>can't have that dabid, stannis is ebil dabid
>>
>>67133950

Stannis became addicted to blood magic solving all of his problems. He probably thought that he could bring his daughter back later by sacrificing his wife, bring his wife back by sacrificing himself, and then bring himself back by sacrificing his daughter again.
>>
File: stannis.jpg (132 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
stannis.jpg
132 KB, 1024x512
>>67133885
His plan was:

>Let the Wildlings in provided they bend the knee (Mance does bend the knee in the books, albeit in secret)
>Sending knights to the Free cities to purchase sellswords with his Iron Bank money
>Win over the Northern Hill Tribes
>Liberate the captured Northern castles from the Greyjoys, earning the allegiance of House Mormont, House Glover, House Umber, House Karstark, among others
>Capture Winterfell to liberate the North once and for all
>Use these armies to shore up the Wall for when the Long Night begins

Stannis, at least in the books, didn't care about directly taking the Iron Throne anymore. He was fighting to protect Westeros from the Others, because he realized that's where the true battle lied. He figured that he had it all wrong before; he was fighting to win the throne to save the kingdom, when his true duty was to save the kingdom to win the throne

The show just didn't get this point across because DnD think STANNIS BAD CUS HE STRAIGHT WHITE MALE WHO FOLLOWS A GOD HE EVIL AND MUST DIE and they made him burn his daughter in a hilariously out of character moment in order to make it justified to murder him
>>
File: dabid.png (107 KB, 847x637) Image search: [Google]
dabid.png
107 KB, 847x637
>>
>defends the Wall, saves it from the wildings
>liberates the north from the Ironborn
>gives the gift to the wildings as a means to gain a stronger army
>unites the northern clans
>marches on winterfell
>defeats the Freys by means of the Night Lamp
>lol nah, 20 goodmen, dabit

Stannis, Renly, and to a degree Jaime have just been shit on as far as character translations go.
>>
>>67134008

>He figured that he had it all wrong before; he was fighting to win the throne to save the kingdom, when his true duty was to save the kingdom to win the throne

So what happens that ruins it all? What was the book version of burning the daughter and getting fucked by the 20 good men?
>>
his plan makes a bit more sense in the books. he saves the realm by saving the nights watch and defeating the wildlings, it's basically good PR for him. he then starts trying to make alliances with the families in the north. he goes so far to offer to legitimize Jon, name him a stark, and give him winterfell, because the northern families and clans would fight for a stark, and in turn they'd fight for Stannis.

after he gets a couple alliances he attacks deepwood motte, which is a castle on the western shore and is under control of the iron born. deepwood motte is the seat of house glover, which is one of the major important families in the north, and by giving the gloves their seat back StanMan will gain a powerful ally. this whole strategy was basically Jon's idea. kind of a hearts and minds thing.

then he gets stuck in a snowstorm. that's where the book ends.
>>
Hes an idiot. I'm so glad Dany will save everybody.
>>
>>67134253

Dany's too damn idealistic for there to be peace. People just want some strong fucker to sit on the throne and keep the peace so priests can pray and peasants can pez. Dany would try abolishing feudalism and end up crucifying a bunch of nobles and fail to convince the peasants that they're actually free.
>>
>Aimee Richardson is presenting the Emmy’s
>”And the award for Best Writing goes to… David Benioff and Dan Weiss for ‘The Children!’”
>D&D run to the stage laughing and high-fiving, doing finger guns at the other nominees
>The entire cast is in the audience applauding, Isaac is crying
>Aimee hands the award to Dan. She looks sad as she steps away
>David grabs the mic “Wow guys! Oh man, I gotta be honest, this does not come as a surprise, season four finale was definitely our strongest hour yet!”
>Dan: “And it only gets better from here on out! Without giving anything away, we have a lot of surprises coming up, some that might even surprise the bookfags!”
>David: “Jaime’s going where?!”
>Everyone laughs except Stephen Dillane, he gets up and says he’s going for a piss
>”Finally, we want to especially thank one writer without whom this show wouldn’t exist… Bryan Cogman, everybody”
>Alex Graves leans over to Nikolaj Coster-Waldau “I don’t understand, it was the shittiest episode of the series, let alone the season. How did they win?”
>Nikolaj slowly looks at him
>Glances down at his arm
>Graves follows his gaze. He pulls back Nikolaj’s sleeve. Nikolaj is wearing chainmail.
>Graves slaps him, Nikolaj runs away “DUNGEONS!! RUN!!”
>David looks at him, confused
>Behind Oona, a shadow stalks out of the aisle
>It’s Coldhands. He stabs her repeatedly in the stomach
>Before Dungeons can react, an arrow hits him in the chest, he collapses
>In the balconies, Vargo Hoat and the Brave Companions are shooting down at the stage
>Every cut character rises from the audience and starts to murder the cast of GoT
>Strong Belwas slits Emilia’s throat
>Liam fights off Euron, Victarion, and Aeron while they try to seize him
>It’s a bloodbath
>>
>>67134172
There was no such thing, his position has been in fact improving since he left the Wall (gained a lot of allies and soldiers), the only thing holding him back is the weather. The book ends just before the siege of Winterfell.
>>
>>67134172
Stannis doesn't burn his daughter in the books, he's literally hundreds if not thousands of miles away. Stannis is leading his troops to siege Winterfell (and he actually has a sizable army made up of every remaining Northern House not loyal to the Boltons). His wife, Melisandre, and Shireen are still at Castle Black. If Shireen gets burned, Stannis isn't going to do it.

Ramsay sends a letter to Jon saying Stannis is dead, but it's all but certain bullshit just to try to make Jon mad, since we know Stannis is still alive in the next book.
>>
>>67134172
nothing is ruined for Stannis where we left off in the book

he's just trapped in a really bad snowstorm. he doesn't know it, but the Boltons are on their way to him.
>>
>>67134338

I would hate being the old author dude knowing I've basically lost the freedom to take my story wherever the fuck I want. He's basically entrapped himself to stick with the Sparknotes version of the story he gave to the showrunners.
>>
>>67134310
Dany is only idealistic for Mereen. She's not against feudalism in itself it seems and there is no slavery in Westeros. She's basically from a Westerosi culture trying to spread that culture where it simply doesn't work.

The problem with Dany in Westeros is that she'd do crazy shit and not realize it's crazy and alienate people with that.
>>
>>67134372
>he doesn't know it, but the Boltons are on their way to him.
He knows Hosteen Frey is retarded so he can probably guess they're coming
>>
>>67134382
What the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>67134219
just like in th show

shireen is gonna burn
>>
>>67134382
grrm doesn't need to stick with anything, he might pull a complete ruse and let Stannis win in the upcoming battle.

I'd laugh my ass off if he were to do this too
>>
>>67134382
>>67134411
It's his own fault. The show started five years ago, he easily could have wrapped up the series before the show ends if he had any kind of reasonable work ethic. Instead, he spent too much time bitching about the Hugo Awards and football on his blog and traveling to cons to talk about what he's going to write instead of actually writing. Now he's confused and doesn't know what to write and he's changing the plot because he wants to be different from the show and now it's a mess.

He's going to die before the last book comes out, it's a certainty
>>
>>67134428
Shireen and Mel are back at castle black from what I recall, so unless Mel sees something in the fire, Stannis won't have anything to do with her getting burned.
>>
>>67134476
stannis will send a crow or a soldier delivering the message
>>
>>67133988
can't tell if being sarcastic or just a fucking retard
>>
>>67134524
that's not how it really works in the books. they are like 500-1000 miles away from castle black and trapped in a massive snow storm. I think I remember them saying they couldn't send crows out because the weather was so bad. they're basically completely isolated.

a braavosi banker actually shows up in person to meet Stannis because they couldn't send a crow
>>
>>67133885
in the show he had none.

In the books it was to rally the north behind him whilst routing the boltons and do something south after winter maybe.
>>
Mannis was always meant to go out in a blaze of glory. Its obvious even in the books, he knows hes fucked regardless, might as well fight until the bitter end.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.