[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stephen Chow's “The Mermaid” on Saturday became the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: 500MIL.jpg (140 KB, 900x515) Image search: [Google]
500MIL.jpg
140 KB, 900x515
Stephen Chow's “The Mermaid” on Saturday became the first film ever to score more than half a billion dollars at the Chinese box office.
Xuan's estate project involving reclamation of the sea threatens the livelihood of the mermaids who rely on the sea to survive. Shan is dispatched to stop Xuan and this leads them into falling for each other. Out of his love for Shan, Xuan plans to stop the reclamation. Unfortunately, Shan and the other mermaids are hunted by a hidden organisation and Xuan has to save Shan before it's too late...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jskKf5YDDAI
>less funny trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvMk7Z0Sp7E
>>
It's got it's problems, but it's a hell of a lot better than pretty much anything else that's come out recently. Stephen Chow still does good shit even when he's not on top of his game.
>>
>>67066707
>Bad CGI I hear
>>
>>67066852
>China
>good cgi
that's like complaining about msg in chiness food
>>
>>67066852
Who gives a shit about cgi
>>
>>67066707
>Stephen Chow still does good shit even when he's not on top of his game.

I am skeptical of this claim because most Stephen Chow fans think Kung Fu Hustle is his best movie when the humor is fucking looney toons tier.
>>
>>67066083
http://www.wsj.com/articles/chinese-theaters-face-scrutiny-over-ghost-screenings-1457496727

Chinese box office numbers mean nothing. It's fraud.
They sell a ticket to Chinese garbage when people are seeing American garbage.
>>
>>67067109
Stephen Chow is god tier exactly because his humor is Looney Tunes tier.
What wrong with Looney Tunes?
>>
>>67067112
>(Op) was looking for this, thank you.Chinese Theaters Face Scrutiny Over ‘Ghost Screenings’
>>
>>67067109
Kung Fu Hustle is the best movie

and looney toons is alright
>>
>>67067109
Kung Fu Hustle is amazing, don't get smug over there. But Shaolin Soccer might be better.
>>
>>67067152
>What wrong with Looney Tunes?

Nothings wrong with Looney Tunes. It's a beloved show full of cartoon slapstick for children that had an amazing run. There is something wrong with saying a live action movie full of retarded cartoony slapstick gags is better than a clever parody of sports and kung fu films.
>>
>>67067213
>>67067250

I'm not being smug. See >>67067250
>>
>>67067275
Point taken, but I still find you're being harsh on Hustle. It has a lot of stuff past just the kung fu gags
>>
>>67067250
There is cartoony slapstick, but I don't see how that's retarded. Is it because it's with real people?
And if by "clever parody of sports and kung fu films" you mean Shaolin Soccer, how is that cartoony slapstick any different from Kung Fu Hustle's?
>>
File: kung-fu-panda-3.jpg (630 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
kung-fu-panda-3.jpg
630 KB, 1920x1080
>OP-- watched kung fu panda 3 and was thinking that the humor was all wrong for China ???
>>
>>67067334
>It has a lot of stuff past just the kung fu gags

Like what? It's been a long time but I don't remember any actual wit involved in the humor. At least not the degree shaolin soccer had it.

>>67067343
>And if by "clever parody of sports and kung fu films" you mean Shaolin Soccer, how is that cartoony slapstick any different from Kung Fu Hustle's?

Because the slapstick involved is part of a clever beat by beat hybridized parody that is stylistically appropriate and not OMG SO RANDOM. I could name several jokes from that movie that have 10x more wit involved than any joke in kung fu hustle. The goalie being a tai chi practitioner for example, not only parodies the unlikely hero weird saving the sports team, but it also parodies the soft style kung fu beating out the malicious hard style.

>LOL SOME LADY GOT FLATTENED BY A BILLBOARD AND HER CURLERS FLEW EVERYWHERE JUST LIKE THAT CARTOON I WATCHED WHEN I WAS A KID
>>
>>67067375

why are all his kids pandas, I thought he was a goose
>>
>>67067554
Hahaha okay now the smugness really is coming out. Hustle is not really any more random than Shaolin Soccer was. The married couple is hysterical, how all the masters are basically old losers is awesome, and the joke at the end with the perfect chi is also awesome. If you try and tell me seriously that Kung Fu Hustle has nothing in it past slapstick, then you're just being a contrarian (not saying it's necessarily better than Soccer, but it easily has a ton more going for it than you give it credit for).
>>
File: Oscar when.png (1 MB, 1600x678) Image search: [Google]
Oscar when.png
1 MB, 1600x678
>>67067584
KEK 4 U
>>
>>67067649
How the fuck am I being smug?

> Hustle is not really any more random than Shaolin Soccer was

It literally is. There is no basis for the majority of the gags. It's just a brain dead comedic subversion of kung fu films. You might have liked some of the randomness but that doesn't stop it from being random. You can point to most gags in Shaolin Soccer and literally find a basis present in sports or kung fu films for that joke.
>>
Fucking chinks. Just end yourselves already.
>>
>>67067746
Jesus man, take a look at yourself. You're contradicting yourself in your own sentence: it can't be a "brain dead subversion" in one film and excuse the other with "a basis present". Again, I'm not saying you have to like one more than the other, or that one is better than the other, but you're basically criticizing Kung Fu Hustle for the exact attributes you elevate Shaolin Soccer for.
>>
>>67067902
>it can't be a "brain dead subversion" in one film and excuse the other with "a basis present".

Yes you can when you are discussing the randomness of the jokes.

> but you're basically criticizing Kung Fu Hustle for the exact attributes you elevate Shaolin Soccer for.

I'm doing the opposite. I said Shaolin Soccer's jokes were based on something whereas Kung Fu Hustle's weren't. Hence the braindead subversion.
>>
>>67068043
Except, and this is the point, that Hustle's humour is no more random than Soccer's (most of the time). The same joke you found oh so clever in Soccer, the tai chi goalie, is basically repeated verbatim in Hustle. The poor rascal with a heart of gold unlocks his kung fu potential and saves the day, trope subverted wow. Plus, don't pretend Shaolin Soccer is devoid of any slapstick, that would be another delusion.
>>
>>67068387
You are defending hustle by admitting it had an inferior implementation of the same trope subversion that Shaolin Soccer did?

>Plus, don't pretend Shaolin Soccer is devoid of any slapstick, that would be another delusion.

Are you fucking drunk? You just referenced my post where I already explained the difference in the slapstick.
>>
>>67066083
Are you ready for the age of ChinKino? i know i am
>>
>>67066707
China leave
>>
>>67066083
chinese dont know humor at all

why are they even trying?
>>
>>67068462
Nobody cares about your shit tier flicks faggot. Kill yourself please.
>>
>>67068462
Are you? Shaolin has slapstick beyond your bullshit pretensions and
1) I never said the implementation was inferior
2) I love the movie for things other than silly trope gags which are present in both.

Stop trying to pretend that there is infinitely more wit to Shaolin's trope games than Hustle: there isn't, and both films have much, much more to offer.
>>
>>67068597
>>67068552
Go enjoy your Hail Caesar you cocks
>>
I hear rice is insanely popular there too.
>>
>>67068625
>there isn't

As evidenced by your referencing something extremely clever in Shaolin Soccer that was not only copied but a fucking pointless trope subversion in Kung Fu Hustle? Wow you make such compelling arguments.

>I never said the implementation was inferior

It was implied by your inability to see the difference between a trope subversion lined with humor that complements a kung fu/sports film parody hybrid that makes people LAUGH vs a guy just saving the fucking day. Or do you want to continue this pointless conversation where you essentially just go

>B-B-BUT I LIKE IT!!! HERE ARE MORE WORDS!
>>
>>67068742
Once again, you're delusional. It isn't that clever a subversion in either of them. You can over-intellectualize some throwaway gags all you want, the difference in quality is not that vast and your arguments make no sense. You're way over hyping a joke that isn't that funny in either of them.
>>
>>67067851
This. They fervently support there own kind, but they know they are all shit compared to the rest of the world.
>>
>>67068852
> It isn't that clever a subversion in either of them

It's objectively more appropriately used in Shaolin Soccer. It's subjectively funnier. Either way it's more pointless in kung fu hustle.

>Once again, you're delusional
Once again your argument is
>muh feelings
>>
>>67068935
Oh yes, I can definitely imagine you in the theatre laughing it up once you realize that it's using two tropes at the same time and not just one.

Hilarious.
>>
>>67069034
I laughed more at the fact that Tai Chi saved the day as it was an extremely clever and specific parody of many kung fu films and not just a plot point to keep the movie going.

For future reference: You should just go with the bitter sarcasm from the beginning. It saves a lot more time than pretending you have an actual point to get across.
>>
>>67069152
The first actual point you've made: That you are unable to understand what is being said
>>
>>67069253
I apologize. It's difficult understanding the overly defensive ramblings of a person who references a part of a sentence but somehow misses the other half of it.
>>
>>67069377
I certainly don't mean to come across that way, I'm just shocked by how nonsensical your argument is
>>
>>67069573
I'm shocked you found it nonsensical when you clearly understood it to the point that you were able to fire back with a perfectly congruent sarcastic retort. Man you must be psychic. Definitely not a person acting like a child because someone questioned the quality of a movie they enjoy.
>>
File: JUST.jpg (67 KB, 300x449) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
67 KB, 300x449
wait a minute

HOR UP
>>
>>67069680
Yeah honestly colour me confused that the most insignificant difference between two gags that are throwaway in the first place is what makes the films worlds apart.

So no, I don't understand.
>>
>>67067112
Gimme a pastebin link pls
>>
how much higher can this go in the chinese box office?
>>
>caring about how much money it made instead of the actual content of the movie
/v/eddits fuck off
>>
>>67070541
>chinks fuck off
Fify
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.