[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't I watch TV anymore?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 6
File: FACES.png (751 KB, 662x492) Image search: [Google]
FACES.png
751 KB, 662x492
Film major here. Still love movies, but for whatever reason I can barely stomach television anymore.

Even the best shows are nearly half filler. Every show has a handful of boring characters that go nowhere. Network shows can't show vulgarity, but HBO shows seem to almost rely on it. I just don't see the artistic merit in television these days.

I do agree that a lot of movies suck, too. But if you sit through a bad movie, that's 2 hours of your life. A show can waste anywhere from a day to the better part of the year.

What show will break me out of this funk?
>>
same exact problem here

i feel like with tv we're led to making a bigger investment and it always ends up getting betrayed

no thanks
>>
It's not just you. Television isn't what it was in the 90s. We're in a kind of cultural dark age or something. I don't know if and when we'll recover.
>>
>>67063287

Just rewatch The Sopranos or Mad Men again.
>>
Television's golden era is long gone, friendos.
>>
You don't need to be a film major to hate television

HBO isn't bad. Veep, Silicon Valley, GoT first season. Not to mention Bill Maher (great for what he is) and VICE (ditto). CNBC isn't bad either. Bar Rescue
>>
'Merican Pickers is usually entertaining.
>>
The worst part is TV has the time and potential to make a series better and more nuanced than any movie but there are so many restrictions and budget issues and network concerns that it'll never happen
>>
>>67063287
Same, I'm watching Better Call Saul out of indifference and The People vs OJ Simpson but other than that I don't watch any tv

I can't stand bad acting more than anything
>>
>>67063287
Gone are the days of The Wire, The Sopranos, Twin Peaks, and Six Feet Under.
>>
>>67063605
Idk about that but only a matter of time before a hardcore browser becomes a billionaire
>>
>>67063644
>twin peaks

lol fuck off faggot
>>
>>67063287
TV isn't good that's why the only shows I've watched recently in the last 10 years are

True blood
Spartacus
Breaking Bad
Boardwalk Empire
Game of Thrones (sad what became of it first two seasons were great, I remember giving the show a go when the pilot came out and not many people were excited for it but you could tell it had potential)
Fargo
Its Always Sunny
Sherlock

Shows I've given a watch
The recent x files (meh some good, some bad, lost potential)
Vinyl (only watched the 2 hour pilot, it was ok and I like Juno AAA but irk if I should watch
Strike back (watched only a handful of episodes I liked it but never cared enough to watch them all or the new ones)
I usually give HBO shows a go and that's pretty much it.
>>
even the pinnacle of television (The Wire, Sopranos, whatever) can't compare to even entry-level films. one is a valid artistic medium and the other is just simply too far gone
>>
>>67064106
Even shows like Mad Men do very little for me
>>
>>67064159
Mad men is nothing special imo
>>
1) Don't ever watch a show until it is finished.
2) Cancel cable and Get a Netflix or Hulu account
3) Don't watch anything on HBO post-2005

Those are your options.
>>
>>67063287
I feel the same way. I can't be bothered to watch TV. TV, even more so than movies, seems like a product to be marketed and sold. Game of Thrones is a fantastic example of this.
>>
TV is a delivery device for advertising. You'd think after about 70 years of broadcast and cable TV, people would have figured that out by now. And if it's not a delivery device for advertising, you have to pay a prescription or pirate it.

Every show nowadays has side characters and story arcs that no one cares about. And nearly every show blows its load by the end of season 2 and has no where to go after that. What's left is a team of writers and directors that have to figure out how to stretch it out another 3-5 season in order to milk the cash cow.
>>
>>67064731
subscription***
>>
File: 1451440212607.png (3 MB, 1770x792) Image search: [Google]
1451440212607.png
3 MB, 1770x792
>>67063287
>posting an inferior version
>>
>>67065276
I always wondered why they didn't give her purple eyes, then again from what I recall they steered clear of a lot of the fantasy elements.
>>
>>67065485
Muh grit + crazy nigga in tree roots and crazy white walkers

Melly was the best part she's underused
>>
ive watched all that ive wanted too
gonna re-run xfiles for the 15th time until mr robot comes back
>>
Are people honestly this pleb? Tv shits all over film right now.
>>
>>67063287
>What show will break me out of this funk?
Rectify.
>>
>>67065614
but if you seen all of those shows,there is nothing left.
>>
>>67063851
>not liking twin peaks

Get the fuck out, pleb.
>>
>>67065614
No it really doesn't. And there isn't that much in film, compared to all that's made but its still thousands of times better than TV.

TV is literally a pile of shit
>>
>>67063287

Better Call Saul

It gets shit on here but it's really great. This show could have been so awful, but to me it feels like Vince Gilligan is hitting his stride in a way that he didn't even do with Breaking Bad.
>>
>>67065671
twin peaks and firefly are the two most overrated shows of all time

great for what they were but overrated.
>>
can't watch anything because of libural propaganda on everything
>>
>>67065747
twin peaks is only overrated on /tv/

git sum frends
>>
>>67065772
everything to you people is liberal propaganda
>>
>nobody on TV still hasn't discovered Billions

I'm still waiting for you fucking faggots to start with the memes and "god-tier waifu" from that show
>>
>>67065817
Anything that does not accept the status quo is not conservative and is therefore liberal.
:^)
>>
>>67065838
/tv/ is full of plebs that have absolute shit taste and need everything held out in front of them

i guaran-fucking-tee you your post and this response to it are going to get the memeposters interested
>>
>>67065801
not just /tv/ all of the internet
>>
>>67063287
Drama major here. Emphasis on screenwriting and directing.

It is hard to enjoy anything since studying Truby. I feel like the good movies are really good. I also feel like the bad movies are damn awful.

But TV, in my opinion, has been better. Better on average than the last generation of TV. Many shows have movie tier quality. And that kinda sad because it shows people have less time or attention for movies.
>>
>>67065485
I think they mentionned in the commentary tracks from the dvd that it would have been very uncomfy for the actress and over budget to cgi it.
>>
>>67065988
not anywhere near your level but ive been researching tropes the past few days and i've come to hate most TV/Film
>>
>>67066316
>ive been researching tropes the past few days
>researching tropes
lol is that how they call it now?
>>
>>67066528
idk
im trying to write a show so any information i gather is considerd research to myself.
>>
Most television shows and series are garbage, nothing new there. Only difference is they have higher production values now (not counting sitcoms shot entirely with a single-camera setup).
>>
Stop watching NBC/ABC and try something on HBO/Netflix/CW

You gotta take a chance for most shows to build up.

Maybe check out shows that aren't talked about here a lot

If TV is not interesting to you anymore, find another hobby to keep you entertained. There's books & vidya. But then again, other hobbies take even more time & effort to entertain you in that manner.

If you really need high octane adrenaline for two hours straight, hire a goddamn sex worker, faggot
>>
>>67063287
I think if you sit through a bad movie, that's 2 hours of your life,
but if you sit through a good movie, that's also only 2 hours of your life.

Whereas if you sit through a bad pilot, it's at the worst only 2 hours of your life,
but if you sit through a good pilot, you're left to your complete discretion in choosing whether you want 'some more of that good stuff' and when.

In the ages of stimuli addiction which are embarking upon us, a 2-hour movie is that one dose of drug that your best friend brought from Sweden for you two to try out because some friends there told him it was the shit.
A good TV show is your ordinary reputable and reliable dealer from the radius of ~10 blocks for whom you know the hours when you can reach and will generally even deliver to your house.

And fuck me, but I like my dealers.

inb4 pleb
go read some real literature for a change dramafag
>>
>>67063510
Is this ironic?
>>
File: lol-guy.jpg (41 KB, 498x568) Image search: [Google]
lol-guy.jpg
41 KB, 498x568
why does she do this?
>>
>>67063287
GoT was GOAT until the show runners decided to OC and pander it up

Dropped
>>
>>67063510

OP here. I'm gonna go ahead and pass on just about everything you said :^)
>>
>>67066177
oh, it's uncomfy
>>
>>67067005
"acting"
>>
What are some shows with hairy chicks? Especially with hairy forearms but everything else is ok too.
>>
File: 1453720147239.jpg (73 KB, 563x600) Image search: [Google]
1453720147239.jpg
73 KB, 563x600
>>67065276
>blonde hair
>black eyebrows
Nothing pisses me off more
>>
>>67063287
adult swim

self contained 15 minute episodes that are works of art
>>
>>67068024
charmed
>>
They really should make shorter shows. Like 4-5 episodes per season. 2-3 seasons max. Then move on to the next one. With a show that's like 10 seasons 20 episodes each, it gets boring very quickly.

But of course it's not gonna happen. Gotta milk it for all its got.
>>
>>67068527
6-13 long seasons with 45min eps
3-5 seasons max
>>
>>67065772
then why are you here?
>>
>>67063287
She has mastered the dramatic duckface!
>>
>>67063412
when the economy actually gets better. Do the math on what year music, tv, and art turned bad and see if it matches up with our economic problem timeline
>>
>>67063412
Television was shitty as fuck in the 90s, stop being a nostalgiafag. TV nowadays is far better than it used to be, considering it actually has plots now.
>>
>>67069062

Not him but-
>fraiser
>seinfeld
>the xfiles
>twin peaks
>Star trek DS9
>Stargate
>Sliders
>Farscape

are all amazing

tv never got bad or good,you just have to know what to watch
>>
>>67063287
50% of the show is to please the women in audience who demand more and more feminism. The Strategy aspect comes second so when you detect this, it becomes predictable.
>>
I'm the opposite

Movies are barely watchable these days, because CGI everywhere, shitty acting and paper thin plots. It's visual yes, but fuck anything that comes out of Hollywood or Sundance.

TV series on the other hand have little to no CGI, often good acting, because the actors aren't overrated and plots that go somewhere, albeit slowly.
>>
>>67068789
classics and Frasier.
>>
>>67069316
stop making assumptions
i dont give a shit how many girls are in a show
>>
File: 1455048762004.jpg (6 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1455048762004.jpg
6 KB, 240x240
>>67069133
How can one man be so right?
>>
>>67063287
>Film major here
>>
>>67069588
>stop getting better at prediction
>it offends people when you don't judge them positively

pesky effeminate.
>>
>>67068809
it mostly matches up with the rise of the internet.
>>
>>67069724
you are assuming ALL females want all female casts and them to be majority leads.studio heads can be idiots,just watch and see ghostbusters flop.
>>
>>67068527
Stargate made it.

Granted there were a few dull episodes, but that got 10 years with 20+ eps.

There just isnt any geniuses anymore to think up these amazing shows...

Next gen of writers sucks.
>>
>>67069774
Women still want power and to see their effect on the world. I don't see much point distinguishing that from the placating towards that instinct. To watch and recommend without nuance is to accept and promote all the inner values, no middle ground. And I've never met a woman who didn't like stories centred around affairs.
>>
>>67065276
Bottom second from the right looks like Jim Carrey as Fire Marshal Bill.
>>
>>67063605
This is why crowdfunded OVAs (and by implication, web distributed seriess) are the ideal hope for the future. I doubt we'll see much quality from them any time soon though.
>>
>>67069863
i agree that its possible to write a great 20+ ep season,but it deff takes a toll on the writers/actors since they work long shifts for months at a time,on top of that they have no idea if its going to be well recieved

i think 13 eps are a good medium ground,shorter work schedules,argueably paced better,allows them to have a bigger budget and they can plan a decent story arc that doesnt become too convulted.
>>
Six Feet Under
Treme
>>
>>67069863

Stargate is cheap as fuck and each episode is self contained without needing longer arcs or character development, plus because it's sci-fi you are free to think up all sorts of crazy shit.
>>
>>67070004
>web series

Only works for animation, I've seen some decent works on YouTube and vimeo and they get abysmal views. The attention span is just not there.

Netflix is the only game in town that managed to pull off web series.
>>
>>67070151
amazon does okay too
>>
>>67063287

97% Rule

97% of everything is SHIT
2% is bearable
1% is good

This applies to
> films
> books
> tv
> music
> vidya
> people

If you fully embrace and expect the 97% Rule, you will be a much calmer Anon.
>>
Rectify and The Leftovers are the only thing worth watching these days.
>>
>>67070208
who told you this? this is a lie dude
>>
>>67063287
someone tell me what is wrong with game of thrones now?
>>
>>67071856

Nobody, I'm just a few years older than you.

Feel free to carry my words in the back of your mind without believing them for a while. Then, when reality catches up with you, you'll be slightly less thrown by it.
>>
>>67072169
That's just being nihilistic when applying it to people. If you genuinely think 97 % of people are shit, then either you've spent your life in a Gulag or are just being edgy. Most people are alright.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.