[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does TV think of the fall
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 26
File: yxIhT37BSWQPQjI4oW9I65aXwX5.jpg (2 MB, 1400x2100) Image search: [Google]
yxIhT37BSWQPQjI4oW9I65aXwX5.jpg
2 MB, 1400x2100
what does TV think of the fall
>>
>>66941052
Hated it, and I consider it one of the five worst movies I've ever seen. No disrespect, but the only way anyone could like this movie is if they have a vagina. It's a total chick flick.
>>
>>66941052

I mean, for better or worse, it's a feature-length music video. Visually beautiful, but kind of dumb and shallow, and trying very hard to appear intelligent and deep
>>
>>66941052
The scenery was nice
>>
>>66941052
Terribly underrated.
>>
The plot was a vehicle for the visuals. The innocence and brilliance of youthful perception. A love letter to our world and what is in it.
>>
>>66941052
Second season wasnt good
>>
>>66942142
Her tits were pretty nice. Isn't she pregnant now?
>>
>>66941156
>It's a total chick flick.

No such thing, you ape. Open your mind.
>>
>>66942214
>Open your mind.
I have no doubt you've considered taking it up the ass. DUDE OPEN YOUR MIND!
>>
>>66942246
Yeah, I have.
>>
>>66941052
It's a masterpiece
>>
I tried watching it but could tell within 15 minutes that it was not going to get better so I dropped it.

If you bothered watching the whole movie even though you thought that it sucked then you must be an idiot.
>>
>>66942300
Enjoy your impacted rectum and your AIDS
>>
>>66942369
My digestive system is in perfectly working order and AIDS is practically nothing but a minor nuisance nowadays anyway, so yeah... But thanks.
>>
>>66942494
>sthhhho yeah
fix'd
>>
>>66941052
I think I still want my money back.
>>
>>66941534
I get what you're saying. There isn't much to the story, but what I liked about The Fall is how complex it is in terms of craft. It's like a grab bag of film techniques. If you look at the cinematography you can take something like the wedding sequence and how it's filmed in slow motion to match the drowsiness of the morphine kicking in, and how the camera is constantly spinning to make you feel disoriented, and that fantastic reveal where the x-ray guy is suddenly right in your face. You can look at the editing: the amazing match cuts, the way the shot of butterfly island lingers too long and they cut it late to mimic how they're getting sidetracked in the story, the sound design: that scene where the woman is shaking the dead boys foot and whispering to him and that hiss she makes, it's a really creepy moment. The level of detail in this film and the amount of subtle cinematic tricks it pulls off is really amazing.
>>
>>66941052
I thought it was great, especially the cinematography and use of colour.
>>
>>66941052
That little girl is 18 now
>>
File: Catinca Untaru.jpg (93 KB, 293x440) Image search: [Google]
Catinca Untaru.jpg
93 KB, 293x440
>>66946574
and she's still a meatball
>>
File: tumblr_n1nch2Relm1r1i8v7o1_1280.png (197 KB, 628x253) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1nch2Relm1r1i8v7o1_1280.png
197 KB, 628x253
>>66946641
Fuck off shes qt meatball booboo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IncCpaK6YQk
>>
>>66942767
>If you look at the cinematography you can take something like the wedding sequence and how it's filmed in slow motion to match the drowsiness of the morphine kicking in, and how the camera is constantly spinning to make you feel disoriented

Don't wanna talk shit, but you're basically saying that the film is impressive because it understands filmmaking 101.

It's a very well put together film, but in a kind of workmanlike way. Any cinematograper (note, not director) can give you beautiful/impressive images with beautiful/impressive locations, but you can also get that from a TV spot advertising tourism in Thailand. Movies should try harder than that.
>>
>>66946641
Would impregnate with giant triplets
>>
>>66941156
I liked this movie, but I don't have a vagina. Do I need to apply for one somewhere?
>>
>>66946641
Case Studies
>Catinca Untaru

>Catinca Untaru is from Romania and is studying her A levels; her chosen subjects are Psychology, Law, Film Studies as well as Sociology (AS and A-Levels) in one year.
http://www.boston.ac.uk/case-studies/Pages/Catinca-Untaru.aspx

Where the fuck is Tarsem
>>
File: image.jpg (130 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130 KB, 1280x688
>>66941156
No disrespect, but this is probably the most ignorant post I've ever seen on /tv/ that wasn't ironic shitposting.

The plot of the fall resembles that of a classic lovestory because it is made up by a junkie as he goes along to coerce a little girl into supplying him with drugs.
And even if you didn't get the story you'd have to be dead inside to not appreciate or at least acknowledge the unique aesthetic of the film that is created when vibrant colors, composition, cinematography and a profound knowledge about art-history blend together.

The fall is undoubtedly Tarsem's magnum opus and the fact that he has gone the way of the shamalamadingdong and his films have gotten gradually worse and more commercial over the years will never undo this achievement.
>>
>>66947939

Not him but I hate that shot. Cinematography is next to nothing without a good script. And what's worse is when, regardless of the script, the cinematography takes over the movie. Then it goes into music video territory
>>
>>66942070
>>66942323

I agree. The movie has a special place in my heart and it's tragic that it's not really loved by any demographic save for a small community of fans.

>normies: This movie is weiiird. Why is it black and white at the beginning ugghhh. So boring, let's watch transformers.

>mid-brow retards and edgy contrarians: this movie is so pretentious and faux-intellectual

>hyper"patricians" (aka joyless zelots): watching films with sound. watching films with color. Filthy plebs.
>>
File: 1432849498001.png (13 KB, 418x359) Image search: [Google]
1432849498001.png
13 KB, 418x359
>>66948174
>hyper"patricians" (aka joyless zelots): watching films with sound. watching films with color. Filthy plebs.
>>
>>66948140
>Not him but I hate that shot. Cinematography is next to nothing without a good script.
I disagree.

What didn't you like about the script in particular? I found it to be pretty well handled how the change of the main characters reflected in the twists and turns of the fairy tale.
And the dialogue was good, especially for the little girl, it's surprisingly rare that you see kid characters actually act and talk like children.
>>
>>66948174

It's not pretentious nor is it 'boring' in the way you mean. It just has nothing to say and doesn't even feel sincere (to me) because the visuals are so over the top. If it honestly wanted to be a heartfelt story the visual style would have been pulled back somewhat. And it wasn't, which tells us what Tarsem Singh is really interested in: making a feaure length showreel piece.
>>
File: the fall priest.webm (3 MB, 1918x1040) Image search: [Google]
the fall priest.webm
3 MB, 1918x1040
>>
>>66948338
Well,
1. I really didn't like the kid's acting at all, but I can't argue about that, if you liked it that's cool.

The script per se didn't bother me so much besides the very stop-start approach it has (and since the two storylines are so very different it's only natural for viewers to want more of one or of the other I think). That and how it kind of drags in the middle where not much is really happening narratively.

What bothers me more is the relationship between the script and the visuals. I guess it just doesn't look like a fairytale to me, or anything else, there's no 'logic' to the design of the fairy tale bit other than 'interesting-looking' individual elements. Each individual shot could be from a different ad campaign for something. The production and costume design are all over the place too; this makes some sense for the characters narratively, but it still doesn't fit visually so imo it doesn't work.

The design of the hospital bit is coherent and mich of the character drama takes place there save for the ending, so many of the jumps to the fairy tale feel like excuses for more cool shots to me. It's more cohesive towards the end I suppose, but it's a bit too late for it.
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 1104x601) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 1104x601
>>66948389
>If it honestly wanted to be a humble depicition of the last supper the visual style would have been pulled back somewhat. And it wasn't, which tells us what da Vinci is really interested in: making dank moneyz from venician merchants.
>>
>>66941052
seen first in an unofficial Massive Attack video. instant love. the actual film was somewhat dissappointment, but still phantastic to watch. The adult drug/love drama packed with a Princess Bride-ish essence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtQBQrFyjl4
>>
>>66948671
Well personally I found the design and the visuals to be pretty coherent (especially after seeing tarsem's other films) and I don't really see how you could feel the exact opposite but okay.

I understand your concern about the two stroylines clashing too much and I agree one hundred percent that anybody is going to prefer one to the other.
But I think what makes up for this problem is the visual contrast and the leaps of logic adding to the dream-like quality of the fairy tale part of the film.

If you take away the "real world" segments of the movie this contrast is lost and I'd admit what's left would feel a bit shallow.
>>
>>66948671
>The production and costume design are all over the place too; this makes some sense for the characters narratively, but it still doesn't fit visually so imo it doesn't work.
I'm going to disagree with this, a lot of little details with the costumes fit into random little elements seen throughout the movie and/or are based on some imagined, fantasy world that makes sense as those parts of the movie are from the pov of a little kid who seems to have a rather strong imagination.

For instance, I think the Lee Pace character often wears a vest that is kind of echoed by some chest thing (a medical device?) that she sees when she first meets him in his room.
>>
>>66947939
I'll agree it's his magnum opus, but everything else of his has been total garbage. Still, beautiful film.
>>
>>66948489
I think that's the best match cut I've ever seen, the fall is amazing visually wise
>>
I liked The Cell more, but the Fall was better.
>>
>>66949457
The Cell was more interesting visually, but the rest of the movie outside the "in his head" sequences was painfully stupid. The Fall was definitely a better movie overall.
>>
>>66948140
dude the script is not bad, it isn't amazing neither but it's obvious that you either didn't seen it or you're too immature to catch the undertone of underachievement, delusions, escapism, suicide and addictions that the movie conveys
>>
>>66949581
>tfw the movie is about movies
>>
>>66947315
Give me a break. You sound like one of those types that loves Lennon for his "art," yet hates McCartney for his "craftsmanship."
>>
>>66949671
>underachievement, delusions, escapism, suicide and addictions
>tfw the movie is about you
>>
File: The.Cell Damien Hirst.webm (2 MB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
The.Cell Damien Hirst.webm
2 MB, 640x272
>>
File: The.Cell suspension.webm (2 MB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
The.Cell suspension.webm
2 MB, 640x272
>>
>>
File: The.Cell girls.webm (2 MB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
The.Cell girls.webm
2 MB, 640x272
>>
File: The.Cell Odd Derdrum.webm (2 MB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
The.Cell Odd Derdrum.webm
2 MB, 640x272
>>
I wish the story/characters were a lot stronger, but it's one of the most gorgeously visual films ever so I love it.
>>
File: The.Cell King Stargher.webm (2 MB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
The.Cell King Stargher.webm
2 MB, 640x272
>>
>>66950406
>Ray did I ever tell you about that time tom waits rektd my guts?
>He was a good friend
>>
File: The.Cell demon king.webm (2 MB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
The.Cell demon king.webm
2 MB, 640x272
>>
>>66950563
This
My SO hated it because they thought paces character was too pedo-ish,did anyone else think that?
>>
>>66942199
I want preggo ceph nudes now
why did she leave us, senpai?
>>
File: The.Cell Actual Madonna.webm (2 MB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
The.Cell Actual Madonna.webm
2 MB, 640x272
>>
File: The.Cell trip.webm (2 MB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
The.Cell trip.webm
2 MB, 640x272
>>
File: The.Cell trip 2.webm (2 MB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
The.Cell trip 2.webm
2 MB, 640x272
>>
>>66946641
What that means?
>>
File: The.Cell suspended.webm (1 MB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
The.Cell suspended.webm
1 MB, 640x272
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (79 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
79 KB, 1920x1080
>>66942767
THIS. You can basically watch The Fall on mute and still walk away satisfied and somewhat perplexed. It's worth watching just for the visuals.

Did it tell a great story? No I don't think so. But did it tell a good VISUAL story? Yes....It just has to be seen. Even if you hate it after you see it you'll like that you saw it. It's a spectral of great magnitude.
>>
>>66941052
Pretty good.
>>
File: The.Cell collar.webm (1 MB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
The.Cell collar.webm
1 MB, 640x272
>>
>>
>>66950645
This is /tv/, I don't think it's possible for something to be too pedo-ish
>>
>>66951288
true,i didnt think it was weird.
>>
>>
>>
It's stunning. I love the fact that Roy tells us a story about what he saw and felt, and the little girl is supplying us with the visuals.
A story is told not only by a narrator, but also by its public, because they feel and react to that story, giving it meaning.
>>
File: The.Cell mister e.webm (2 MB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
The.Cell mister e.webm
2 MB, 640x272
>>
File: The.Cell size.webm (1014 KB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
The.Cell size.webm
1014 KB, 640x272
>>
File: The.Cell Modanna .webm (3 MB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
The.Cell Modanna .webm
3 MB, 640x272
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.