[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has there ever been a good Frankenstein movie? It seems like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
Has there ever been a good Frankenstein movie? It seems like it gets ignored compared to something like Dracula.
>>
>>66936725
Who's this semen demon?
>>
>>66936725
yeah the '31 one is good
>>
>>66936725
Of course it was you idiot. That one with DeNiro
>>
Its a shit movie idea

>hurr no man can deny le laws of god
>>
File: Repent of burn.jpg (28 KB, 252x280) Image search: [Google]
Repent of burn.jpg
28 KB, 252x280
>>66936808
NO MAN CAN DENY THE LAWS OF GOD!!!
Repent or face hellfire!!!
>>
thanks a lot my boss just walked in and fired me.

i thought this was a SFW board wtf?
>>
>>66936725
The Hammer Horror Frankenstein films are great.
>>
thanks a lot my boss just walked in and promoted me

based OP
>>
>>66936884
Who is this nun? I used to see here all the time when flipping channels did she died
>>
>>66936754
It's obviously Frankenstein
>>
File: 1432958327924.gif (977 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1432958327924.gif
977 KB, 320x240
The Kenny B one sucked.

>>66936910
We'll miss you, but at least I got promoted.
>>
I love this book.

Read it twice in elementary. Very lasting impression.

Mary Shelley had a fucked up life.
>>
>>66936940
thats great news family, your wife and her son will be so proud
>>
Young Frankenstein is the only answer
>>
omg boobies
>>
omg lol
>>
>>66936952
Google calls her Success Nun.

>>66936981
This is actually not true. Bride of Frankenstein was pretty good.
>>
>>66936725
Id Fuck that Frankenstein desu lads
>>
File: 1456512637362.jpg (2 MB, 4061x4724) Image search: [Google]
1456512637362.jpg
2 MB, 4061x4724
>>66936725
Elle is currently shooting a movie where she's playing Mary Shelley
>>
All the Hammer films of Frankenstein and Dracula are good.

I rewatched all the main Universal monster films recently and was pretty dissatisfied. They are frankly just too silly and primitive. The Mummy is probably the best one. Even Wolfman and Creature from the Black Lagoon aren't very good anymore (though I do like Creature 3). These films used to be my favorites. When I was a kid I watched one every day. The foggy moors atmosphere, the creepy sets and b/w cinematography, the monster makeup. I loved everything about them.

I've come to the conclusion that they no longer hold up today because they are too simple. They don't really try to create suspense or mystery. They just show you the monsters because that was enough to scare audiences of the day (or today's children). There are some frightening moments for sure, and you can't just overlook these films because they are important, but they are no longer effective.

Val Lewton and RKO effectively killed Universal Horror in the 40s anyway. They made several super low budget horrors (150k) in order to try and make up for nearly going bankrupt after Citizen Kane and they became huge hits. Cat People, I Walked with a Zombie, Leopard Man, etc. The reason they work so well is because they had no money. They couldn't do creature effects, so all the horror is psychological, it's the first real use of the monster stalking someone from offscreen and things like that. Really pretty incredible films and they still hold up well today.

As for why Frankenstein gets ignored. By me, anyway. I just don't like the story. I read the book several times and it's just written very poorly. Like two edgelords arguing over who has the worse life. I mean, the story and not the writing is pretty good. Prometheus and all that. Good stuff. But very few adaptations have fixed the shit that the book spews without making something that sacrifices the actual good artistic ideas behind it.
>>
I've been thinking it would be neat to try and edit the original Frankenstein and Bride together into one film that more closely follows the book, or at least creates a coherent and hopefully decent story out of two mediocre films. Would you guys watch that?
>>
>>66938147
Yes. i would. I enjoy /tv/'s OC
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.