[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2001: A Space Odyssey is not too long >Literally takes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
>2001: A Space Odyssey is not too long
>Literally takes 3 minutes to fade from black and start
Have you fallen for the 2001: A Space Odyssey meme?
>>
The black at the start is an integral part of the film
>>
Sorry about your poor attention span. May I recommend something more to your liking? Perhaps something by Michael Bay?
>>
>>66932169
This.
It represents the darkness before the universe or something
>>
>>66932199
my favorite movie is koyaanisqatsi now what friend
>>
>>66932214
you're looking at the obelisk
>>
Everything is intentional, Stanley Kubrick is smarter than you.
>>
>>66932233
DUDE
>>
the deactivation of hal 9000 is the most embarrassing "sad" scene i've ever watched
>>
>>66932214
>>66932233
>mfw realizing it represents both and also the unknown

pic related: no longer have a face
>>
>>66932354
apex pleb
>>
>>66932394
you're the one falling for memes
>>
>>66932443
>this passes for a counterpoint on /tv/

What happened to this place?
>>
>>66933055
memes happened
>>
>>66932354
It's a contrast to the opening act. We see HAL slowly devolve from a sophisticated artificial intelligence to a mere machine only capable of repeating what it is told. It's sad because humanity created him, and is also responsible for him malfunctioning. HAL isn't inherently evil, only trying to adhere to the mission protocol as best he can, but he can't go against his fundamental programming.

>tldr: you're a pleb
>>
>>66932214
bazinga
>>
>>66933463
man unscrews twenty processors individually while robot sings a nursery rhyme in an ironically unhappy tone like the trailer for a shitty horror movie
>>
Babby's First Experimental Film
>>
2001: A Space Odyssey is a great pleb filter.

Anyone who says they like it is a fucking retard trying to look smart.
>>
>>66932111
Honestly I don't even know how people who find 2001 boring manage to go on this board and talk about movies.There are just so many other movies that are more slower paced than 2001 that you just couldn't be very film-literate.

2001 is a well paced movie, and it goes by quickly for me. It never felt longer or shorter than it had to be.
>>
>>66934459
lol is this your first day on /tv/? it's the worst board on 4chan along with /pol/
>>
the most pretentious film Ive ever seen
>>
>>66934951
then you should watch michael bay instead ha ha stupid xD
>>
>>66934951
what's pretentious about it?
>>
File: comment1.png (18 KB, 822x89) Image search: [Google]
comment1.png
18 KB, 822x89
>>66935048
for a start how about the 25 minutes of flashing lights towards the end, the world's first youtube poop
>>
>>66935226
So you don't even know what pretentious means?
>>
File: comment2.png (66 KB, 821x398) Image search: [Google]
comment2.png
66 KB, 821x398
>>66935290
>it is one of the most mainstream movies ever but since it has the flashing lights i can look smart for liking it
have i made it obvious enough now
>>
>>66933795
Eh, plenty of people (read: me) like 2001 if nothing for the fact for it's place in Sci Fi/Space movie history, but there are sooooo many fucking try hards that pretend to cum just from watching it. Differentiate the two by asking:

>Why do you like it?
>>
>>66935450
>posts a perfectly reasonable interpretation of the film

M8 I don't think you know how to understand things.
>>
File: comment3.png (26 KB, 824x121) Image search: [Google]
comment3.png
26 KB, 824x121
>>66935651
>>
File: 1457143483952.jpg (370 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
1457143483952.jpg
370 KB, 1280x1707
Didn't care much for 2001, sure it had some SUPERB scenes with great direction, and some really creative and beautiful sets but I think it's overrated. Also Eyes wide shut, didn't care too much for it either - think it's his worst film tbqh
>>
> HAL asks Dave about "rumors about something being dug up on the Moon" and questions the strange things about their mission.

> later when Dave is deactivating HAL the NASA video starts and tells Dave the real mission objective was only known by HAL

Kubrick isnt the perfectionist you think he is.
>>
File: IMDB.png (24 KB, 339x291) Image search: [Google]
IMDB.png
24 KB, 339x291
>>
It's called an overture. Lots of films from back then started with one.
They probably include them in releases now for the sake of authenticity, same with intermissions.
>>
>>66935752
Why are you judging him for the dialogue when the film focuses on cinematography? Much of the film has no dialogue at all. The dialogue in Stalker isn't amazing either but if you trashed the film on that alone you would be rightly laughed at.
>>
>>66936220
i wrote the reason over the snip idiot
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.