[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I watched Annie Hall, Blue Jasmine and Irrational Man. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: woody-allen-Text-Pic.jpg (869 KB, 3000x2013) Image search: [Google]
woody-allen-Text-Pic.jpg
869 KB, 3000x2013
I watched Annie Hall, Blue Jasmine and Irrational Man.

What else of Allen's filmography is worth checking? I'm downloading Manhattan at the moment.
>>
Hannah and Her Sisters (his best film imo)
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Midnight in Paris
Interiors
The Purple Rose of Cairo
>>
>>66923103
My mum has told me for years to watch Midnight in Paris, so I will definitely. I'll grab all of these though, thanks.

I think there's like kooky sort of sincerity in Allen's films that I really enjoy. Blue Jasmine and Annie Hall were fantastic. Irrational Man was okay.
>>
>>66923058
Crimes and Misdemeanors.
>>
>>66923238
Sweet, added. I see a lot of his films have very average ratings. I assume these are skippable, he's not polarizing audiences, they're just not great?
>>
>>66923238
This is one of his very best, along with Annie Hall, the one you're downloading, Hannah and Her Sisters. You should also watch his early, slapstick movies. Sleeper is the most popular of that era, although my favorite is Love and Death. Some of the funniest movies ever made.
>>
Match Point and Sleeper
>>
>>66923284
Some people hate him just because of his personal life, and some people don't like all his literary references and sophisticated comedy. Also, he can be hit and miss. He has several masterpieces to his name, and also some big failures. Also, I'm a big fan of Broadway Danny Rose. At his best he's just about the most comfy filmmaker of all time.
>>
>>66923058

Sweet and Lowdown, favorite of mine
>>
>>66923287
Grabbing them, thanks! I really like his comedic style. It's not crass and it's quite clean. I think that's quite hard to get a laugh, but he does.

>>66923311
Grabbing Match Point

>>66923330
I can separate an artist's personal life from their work. I loved a lot of Polanski's work and to be honest, I don't know or care about what went down with him.

I'm grabbing BDR too though. Thanks for the suggestions.
>>
Manhattan
Hannah and her Sisters
Radio Days (my favorite)
Manhattan Murder Mystery
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Love and Death
*everything you wanted to know about sex but were afraid to ask
>>
>>66923397
Grabbing all these. Interesting to see that everyone has a different favourite Allen film.
>>
>>66923443
are you grabbing them?
>>
>>66923443
Just know that even though all his movies feel like Woody Allen movies, some are a lot funnier than others. Crimes and Misdemeanors is a masterpiece, but it's far less of a comedy than most of his other stuff. It's really more of a drama. Just thought you should know that before you watch it so you aren't expecting another Annie Hall.
>>
Absolutely watch Love and Death.
I almost pissed myself laughing watching that
>>
>>66923443
The Purple Rose of Cairo is my fave
comfy af
>>
>>66923603
I liked Blue Jasmine for it's portrayal of mental illness while remaining funny at times too. I appreciate a good drama, so I'm looking forward to this.

>>66923614
Sweet, added to the queue

>>66923583
I'm just downloading most of his filmography tbqhwyf
>>
>>66923643
Crimes and Misdemeanors is really two stories, done sort of like Shakespeare. The main story with Martin Landau is completely serious, but the other story that happens simultaneously starring Woody is typical Woody Allen. It's like in Shakespeare's plays how the drama of the kings and queens is mirrored for comic effect by the servants. It's a good flick.
>>
>>66923736
I read the synopsis and it sounds really good. I can't believe I'm only getting around to Allen now.

I've been watching too much television lately and have a whole server of films, something like 400 that need watching. Hopefully these kick me back into gear
>>
>>66923443
My favorite is Match Point
>>
File: wew.png (842 KB, 1665x445) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
842 KB, 1665x445
>>66923848
added ;^)
>>
>>66923897
A bit of a Linklater kick?
>>
>>66923962
I confess I've only seen Bernie and Dazed and Confused. I loved the latter, but Bernie was a dookie. I've always wanted to watch Slacker and the Before trilogy though. Haven't bothered with Boyhood yet.
>>
>>66924024
I've only seen Dazed and Before Sunrise myself. Didn't really care for the latter, but I did really love Dazed.
>>
>>66923397
Forgot:
Broadway Danny Rose
>>
>>66924069
Sweet. I've Grabbed that one

>>66924066
Dazed took me back to high school. I personally think that's his best film, though I've not seen many of them haha.

>That opening with Sweet Emotion playing
>>
>>66924148
>That opening with Sweet Emotion playing
I knew then that I was going to enjoy it.
>>
>>66924181
Definitely. It was quite amusing seeing Ben Affleck, Alright, Alright Alright and Mila Jovonavich at the start of their careers
>>
File: 1428197793576.png (74 KB, 412x351) Image search: [Google]
1428197793576.png
74 KB, 412x351
>>66924212
>Alright, Alright Alright
>tfw i'm 19, still hang out with high school kids, and haven't entered college
Please don't let me end up like him.
>>
File: 1457422881051.jpg (126 KB, 1092x1037) Image search: [Google]
1457422881051.jpg
126 KB, 1092x1037
>>66924267
I did that at your age for a while when my mates my age weren't into the drug scene, so they surpassed me. I ended up going to young parties, getting rowdy and banging young, but legal girls. I was the oldest at a few of these. I look back and cringe at what some people must have thought.

What I'm saying is, don't do it.
>>
>>66923058
Celebrity
>>
Match Point
Midnight in Paris
Vicky Christina Barcelona
Crimes and Misdemeanour's

Manhattan really didn't do it for me. It felt like annie hall: now with barely legal teens.
>>
What's the one where he sits at a bar eating pretzels?
>>
>>66924479
That's the one with the secret love triangle that falls apart.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.