[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is the best director in this picture?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 800x514) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 800x514
Who is the best director in this picture?
>>
Marty

Most of them have made good movies, but nobody else has had such an influence on filmmaking style
>>
Scorcese>>>Coppola=Spielberg>>>>>De Palma>Lucas
>>
>>66908367

Probably George Lucas since this is 4chan and everyone here is retarded.
>>
>>66908367
Achieved legend status: Scorsese. Spielberg

You're lucky we only remember the good ones status: De Palma, Coppola.
Fuck Marcia Lucas, I want more rocks status: George Lucas.
>>
George Lucas. Debate me or GTFO
>>
De Palma >>> Scorsese > Spielberg >>>>>>>>>>Coppola > Lucas

I like Spielberg more than Scorsese though.
>>
>>66908560
>>66908609

kek
>>
>>66908367

Scorsese>>Coppola=Spielberg>>>>>>>>>De Palma>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lucas
>>
>>66908367
Lucas > Scorsese > De Palma > Coppola > Spielberg
>>
>>66908632

>Ranking Coppola so low

He's a fucking great filmmaker, man. It's not his fault he died in 1980. He would've caught up with the others if he only had the time
>>
>>66908807
I like the Conversation. Not a fan of the Godfathers. Apocalypse Now is a pretentious mess. Not much going in his favor.
>>
>>66908367
Scorsese>Coppola>Spielberg>De Palma>Lucas
>>
The real crime is people ranking De Palma so low. You'd never mistake /tv/ for a board that cared about films.
>>
>>66908367
Scorsese

But Coppola made the best movie out of all of them.
>>
>>66908951
There's not much going in your favor either.
>>
Would have been Lucas if he hadn't accidentally invented the genre franchise business model & became a glorified toy marketer. Spielberg and Coppola would agree with me here.
>>
>>66909118
Nah, the others all have better films than anything by Coppola.
>>
>>66909206
Even if he hadn't, he would still be the worst of the bunch. Spielberg and Coppola, if they think that, are wrong.
>>
File: 1456086749832.jpg (39 KB, 398x307) Image search: [Google]
1456086749832.jpg
39 KB, 398x307
>>66908951
>Not a fan of the Godfathers
>>
>>66909348
Watch THX 1138.
>>
>>66909449
I have.
>>66909444
Not liking something makes me a pleb? Um? They're fine films (first two), but there're not the unimpeachable masterpieces they're made out to be by AFI and the Academy.
>>
>>66908367
Scorcese probably is the most consistently great director there.

Lucas and DePalma, when they are at their best, are two best visual storytellers there

Coppola has 4 movies that are better than anything else the others have done.
>>
Scorsese is the best director in terms of consistency.
But The Conversation is the best movie by any of them.
>>
>>66909859
>Scorcese probably is the most consistently great director there.
He's consistent, but closer to good than great. On his good runs at least. In a bad patch he's consistently mediocre.
>Lucas and DePalma, when they are at their best, are two best visual storytellers there
I'm behind De Palma, but Lucas? One of the stangest opinions I've heard in a while.
>Coppola has 4 movies that are better than anything else the others have done.
Like most of New Hollywood's output, grossly overrated and held as a high water mark by those with narrow taste in film.
>>
>>66909232
Maybe you could make the case for Scorsese and maaaaybe De Palma for Blow Out.

But none of them made a better movie than Apocalypse Now. Hell, the second best film of their combined filmographies is probably The Conversation (or maybe Goodfellas).
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 1437x204) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 1437x204
>>66910012
Lucas is a god tier editor.
The PT is full of powerful editing that enhances the story.
>>
>>66910068
>>66910068
I think Cuckfather, Dracuckula, Apocalypse Cuck, and the Cuckversation are all better than anything done by the rest of those fellas.

But his best is Tetro
>>
>>66910068
Apocalypse Now is really overwrought tedium though, and not for affect. It seems much more a product of the 70's and 70's filmmaking than a film with a strong voice and unique vision. With Apocalpse Now and the Conversation, you have foreign equivalents that precede them (Aguirre and Blow Up), and are imo superior films.

De Palma has a rich selection of films, and is much more a master of the craft than Coppola, and has higher artistic ambitions than Spielberg. Scorsese has arguably a stronger and more distinguished voice as a director, but his films are much more narrow in artistic scope, and he's much closer to conventional filmmaking than not. Which is fine, but I think he's overvalued because of his broad appeal.

It also comes down to what you find interesting but Coppola interests me far less than the other directors there. Hell, even when Coppola attempts something that should interest me, like with the effects in Dracula, he still bores me.
>>
>>66910287
He didn't edit Star Wars. Even if he did, he's not the strongest as a visual storyteller. Scorsese and Spielberg are easily better.
>>
>>66911055
Lucas had complete control over the PT. Final cut etc. he was in the editing room with the editor 24/7.
>>
>>66911173
This is some serious har har trolling.
>>
>>66911424
?
>>
>>66908442
Plus, he's been able to make good-great movies consistently. Say what you will about WoWS, but it's a well-made movie. Solid acting, solid writing, etc.

Plus, out of all the people in the picture, he's probably had the biggest influence on movies made today. You see his style mimicked by film school shits to this day. "I'M MAKING A DARK COMEDY ABOUT CRIME XD"
>>
>>66911755
The influence argument is seldom a good one. You think Scorsese is more influential than Spielberg? Yeah, Scorsese might inspire a lot of film students who will never get close to making a real film, but Spielberg is the model for the modern blockbuster. Far more influential. Again, not sure if that says anything about quality. The influence argument is often weak.

A filmmaker like De Palma has had a lot of influence as well, but at the same time he's still a few steps ahead of most people. In that case, how effective is an argument based on influnce?
>>
Spielberg

He gave us great Holocaust propaganda like this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0174852/
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.