[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Tall Man Died: Phantasm Discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: 1297792255949_ORIGINAL.jpg (40 KB, 331x498) Image search: [Google]
1297792255949_ORIGINAL.jpg
40 KB, 331x498
>TFW the Tall Man died in January at age 89.
>TFW have been wondering over the past few years how long he'd live.
>TFW sad because probably very few people on here know who the Tall Man is.
>TFW sad because thread will probably die with few replies.

Tall Man feels and Phantasm discussion. I wasn't able to bump the last thread.

Also, rank the Phantasms from best to worst pls.
>>
>>66865215
He died?! I'm really upset now. I know he was old, but fuck.
>>
>>66865215
>good phantasm
the first one
>not good phantasms
the other 2 or 3...how many are there? the last i saw was, there were tons of towns abandoned because the monster/aliens whatever they were started in full force i guess, and they holed up in some abandoned house.
that metal ball is one of the best horror icons though
>>
>>66865215
I've only seen the first one. How much can you do with a killer ball?
>>
File: phantasm3.jpg (23 KB, 540x399) Image search: [Google]
phantasm3.jpg
23 KB, 540x399
I miss these stupid movies so much. I think 2 was my favorite. I don't even remember what the story was actually. It was mostly just a fun excuse for chainsaw crotch deaths, double-double barreled shotguns, and practical effects.
>>
There was a thread about this months back, Supposedly there was enough footage for him to still be in Phantasm V
>>
is the new movie still moving forward?
>>
>>66865336
First one's survival horror, The rest are some Supernatural(tv show) type deal of travelling the country and trying to take him out.
>>
>>66865405
>The rest are some Supernatural(tv show) type deal

That's a very good way to describe them.
>>
>>66865215
>rank the Phantasms from best to worst pls.
How many where there? I only remember the first two.

Also
>tfw they will try and do a remake and will be shit.
>>
File: phantasm boy.jpg (43 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
phantasm boy.jpg
43 KB, 852x480
I saw them all not too long ago, but I can't really remember anything from then other than they were weird as fuck. I liked the idea of an alien coming from another dimension to snatch dead bodes from our world and make them slaves, but I wish they had shown more of that strange alien world we only saw one peek at.

I liked them all, but I wish I could *get* them better. I got really lost after the first movie. Which movie was it where the ice cream man bangs that stronk black woman?
>>
>>66865535
>I wish I could *get* them better. I got really lost after the first movie.
He's too dumb for B movies!!!
>>
File: phantasm reggie shotgun.jpg (393 KB, 1100x727) Image search: [Google]
phantasm reggie shotgun.jpg
393 KB, 1100x727
>>66865352
I liked them because of how much they reminded me of Evil Dead. Ordinary people with no combat experience just strapping together the weirdest gimmicky weapons and then rest is just one liners and explosions.

Are there any other movie series like Evil Dead and Phantasm with the similar thing going on?
>>
I love any movie that has a scene of the protagonists busting into a hardware store at night to upgrade their gear.
>>
>>66865535
>Which movie was it where the ice cream man bangs that stronk black woman?

I believe that is three, also has an annoying kid
>>
I too can't remember exactly what happens in the second and third ones. Can't argue with a quadrupal powered shotgun. The first is PHAN-TASTIC and the fourth is quite weird. It was cool seeing the Tall Man as a nice guy. Revenant looks fucking awful. It's quite upsetting that this will be his last movie.
>>
Tall Man master race.

There were four or five Phantasms.

"BOOOOOOOOOOOY"
>>
>>66865587
The thing is that I'm not sure if there's something 2deep4u going on, or did I just unknowingly sleep during the parts where things were explained. Like, how the fuck does the tall man desert whole towns? Why did the series turn into Mad Max after the second one? Why did the tall man have tentacles in Phantasm IV?
>>
>>66865765
He goes from town to town using his undead army to dig up more corpses in the local cemetery and to kill the locals before moving on to the next town to do it again. He just keeps getting away with it.
>>
>>66865604
>Ordinary people with no combat experience just strapping together the weirdest gimmicky weapons and then rest is just one liners and explosions.

This. So much this.

I'm really trying to come up with similar movies right now and drawing a blank.

I think the closest I can think of is the first quarter of John Carpenter's vampires. I would have loved the movie if it had remained like that for the entirety, skewering vampires and dragging them out to explode in the sun by a tow winch.
>>
>>66865215
did the movies have a coherrent story when put together? i remember the first one they were taking dead bodys, reviving them, and making them slaves on a mars like planet, with crazy gravity so it shrunk them. thats basically it right? so the bad guy is some sort of intergalactic/interdimensional slaver?
>>
>>66865765

Well, in the first movie his motive is to raid graves for bodies to turn into Jawas. In the second, it remains more or less the same, but now he has a distinct desire for Mike (kid from the first one) for some reason. In the third, his plan becomes turning dead AND living bodies into Jawas but also zombies now. Furthermore, he removes their brains and uses them to power the spheres.

That's why towns are cleared out. He expanded to the living and nothing could stop him. Though I am curious as to the state of the government, as a cop shows up in Phantasm IV and pulls Reggie over. He turns into a zombie, yeah, but the fact that Reggie treats him like the real deal implies there are still cops around.

He had tentacles in IV because he's not a single entity. Another Tall Man replaces the one they kill at the end of Phantasm II, and at the end of the fourth one. It's probable he upgraded himself and his abilities each time he recreated the body.
>>
>>66865604
>>66865934
8 Legged Freaks
>>
>>66865945

In IV, Mike travels back to colonial era America and meets Jebediah Morningside, a guy that looks exactly like the tall man. They show an accompanying flashback of the picture from the first movie, with the Tall Man in a horsedrawn carriage. He's experimenting with dimensional gates and (assumingly) enters and becomes the first Tall Man.

I imagine he showed up, got fucked over by whatever was lurking there, and it assumed his form. Once it found a way back through the gate, it decided to harvest humanity, for slave labor and possibly other tasks.
>>
>>66865934
>skewering vampires and dragging them out to explode in the sun by a tow winch.
This gives me a little mahogany
>>
>>66866064
Oh yeah. The scene in the mall was great. That movie was stupid fun.
>>
>>66865215
Literally who?
>>
>>66866510
Get out, pleb.
>>
>>66866510

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOY
>>
Phantasm is some good shit.

I remember finding some bizarre hentai (Dolce Report) that had a lot of weird Phantasm references. It's a really obscure film, even by American standards. Weird as shit read.
>>
File: 1456490817061.jpg (159 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
1456490817061.jpg
159 KB, 900x600
>>66866767
>>
>>66866826
>hentai
>Phantasm references

wat
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.