[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Mermaid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: stephen-chow-the-mermaid-ft.jpg (35 KB, 628x330) Image search: [Google]
stephen-chow-the-mermaid-ft.jpg
35 KB, 628x330
Just saw last night. Me and GF were the only gwilo in teh audience.

Thoughts:
Comedy scenes were amazing. Pic related. Sketch artist scene was god tier.
Effects looked like shit. Worse than Shaolin Soccer.
Jarring changes in tones, even genre. I think I read somewhere that this is typical for Asian cinema. That it can go from musical to screwball comedy to brutal crime in the blink of an eye.
>>
>>66857399

Stephen Chow hasn't been in his best since Kungfu Hustle

I dont know what the fuck happened to him Shaloin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle are great movies

last film I seen of him was that shitty CJ7 duynno what the fuck happened, maybe he got old or some shit
>>
>>66857464
CJ7 was fucking bizarre. Like some ET homage that went weird in the second half.
Journey into the West was another one with weird shifts in tone-- zany comedy/child murdered/aching romance/zany comedy.
>>
>>66857871
That's got to do with Chinese mythology. The holy protagonist was sought after by demons because they thought the eating the Holy Flesh would make them immortal. It's true Chinese story, not the fluffy Forbidden Kingdom type stuff where Su WuKong is a whimsical monkey. He's actually a demon before being converted by the protagonist, so was Zhu BaJie and that fish guy.

It's well loved by China.

T.chong
>>
>>66857399
but did you like it?
>>
>>66857399
That scene was hilarious. Ending was a little cheesy. Actually a well made love story, and the environmental message was very well done, unlike most other movies.
>>
Is this movie any good? I love kung fu hustle, is there anything like that?
>>
>>66858346
Meh. I liked parts of it, but overall it felt disjointed.

>>66858365
I agree about the love story. I thought that was a pretty fresh and interesting twist, and the two actors had good chemistry.

>>66858410
It's not Kung Fu Hustle-level action. What little "action" in there looks really cheap and goofy because of the CG.
It is, however, KFH level comedy. If not a bit more.

>>66858319
Wait, are you talking about the mermaid movie or Journey into the West?
>>
Kung Fu Hustle is overrated. One of his least funny films.
>>
>>66858921
KFH was one of the best movies ever

Fight me irl brah. One on one
>>
>>66858807
>Wait, are you talking about the mermaid movie or Journey into the West?
Journey to the West.
>>
Just watch his old shit like God of Cookery
>>
>>66859586
yes this

God of Cookery is my favorite Stephen Chow movie
>>
>>66858410
partially. The first segment is p. good. But it falls to shit slightly later
>>
He peaked at King of Comedy. None of his other movies come close to it.
>>
>>66857399
Only Hollywood is fixated on the strict division of genres.
>>
>Jarring changes in tones, even genre. I think I read somewhere that this is typical for Asian cinema.

>The Mermaid (Chinese: 美人鱼) is a 2016 Chinese-Hong Kong science fiction fantasy romantic comedy film
>>
>>66860370
I think Hollywood does a better job of blending genres. Like Horror Comedy. Or Sci Fi Noir. But they BLEND them, and that's the point. Asian cinema tends to silo the genres, so you have the same characters in a wacky comedy, then in a crime thriller, then in a musical. NOT blended but weirdly divided.
>>
The mermaids is chows way of telling China to stop fucking up Hong Kong.
>>
>>66857399

I'm happy that Stephen Chow gets money to make an original martial arts comedy with him as the main character after this.

CJ7 really fucked up him badly.
>>
>>66860498

This with Indian movies too, those fucking crazies mix comedy and drama like in 2 minutes
>>
>>66860498
Maybe, I don't know I'm not asian, but perhaps, maybe, they don't like their audiences to go to the cinema and engage "Horror Comedy"mode, watch anna faris doing her funny surprise face in murder scenario, feel the expected feels, and reward their audience for acknowledging the blend genre with some lewd humor.Like a two hours pat in the back.
>>
>>66860967
I'm not Asian either, but I've worked with the Chinese for years. And if I had to guess, I think their business model is more like a Swiss Army Knife. Instead of making a comedy movie for comedy fans and an action movie for action fans, etc., if you make one movie that has an action part, a comedy part, a romance part, etc, then EVERYONE will see it and enjoy the part(s) they like, even if other segments of the movie bored or annoyed them.
>>
>>66857464
>Shaloin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle
Thought The Good The Bad and The Weird was by him as well. Turns out it's not even chinese.
>>
>>66860791
How is he supposed to star in martial arts movie when he's old frail and dying?
>>
>>66859691

King of Comedy was good, but I liked Love on Delivery a lot more.

Either way, his peak was definitely Kung Fu Hustle.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.