[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's see how patrish you are, /tv/. Post your top 3 directors,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: Terence_Malick_in_Badlands.jpg (101 KB, 560x301) Image search: [Google]
Terence_Malick_in_Badlands.jpg
101 KB, 560x301
Let's see how patrish you are, /tv/. Post your top 3 directors, and your favorite film by each.

Lynch
>Lost Highway
Tarkovsky
>The Mirror
Malick
>The Tree of Life or Days of Heaven
>>
>>66856425
Andrew Stanton - finding nemo
Chris Nolan - The Prestige
Martin scorcese - goodfellas
>>
File: 1338916296445625.png (397 KB, 492x454) Image search: [Google]
1338916296445625.png
397 KB, 492x454
>patrician
>having favourites
>>
Bella Tar
>Werckmeister Harmonies

Andrei Tarkovsky
>The Sacrifice

Paul Verhoeven
>Robocop
>>
>>66856425

literaly the most meh you could pick from these three director, but if it make you feel smarter about yourself go on.

these are my current favourite of the month i guess except for conan

Milius
>conan
McTiernan
>die hard
Stephen Chow
kung-fu hustle

i genuinly think these 3 films are better in a sense they are as meaningfull as tarkovsky or malick films but are also not boring which make them superior works of art.
>>
>>66856425
>Tarkovsky

I hate this word but he is truly a meme director. It's like the first thing /tv/ posts when they want to pretend to be patrician
>>
Tarantino - Pulp Fiction
Coens - Big Lebovski
Nolan - Memento
>>
Michael Bay
>Armageddon

Christopher Nolan
>TDK

Hitchcock
>NXNW
>>
Leone - Once Upon a Time in the West
Lean - Lawrence of Arabia
Peckinpah - Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
>>
>>66856862
He is the single greatest director to ever live, so that's probably the reason.
>>
>>66856862
He's pretty good.

You can spot the plebs when they say his best/their favourite film is Stalker, Solyaris or The Mirror though.
>>
>>66856981
>He is the single greatest director to ever live
t. Tarkovsky
>>
Paul Thomas Anderson- The Master

Sidney Lumet- Network

John Badham- Saturday Night Fever
>>
>>66856425

> >The Tree of Life or Days of Heaven

This is your game. If you can't make up your mind... what chance has ANY of us got?

Seriously though, here goes.

Dreyer
> Gertrud

Ford
> Judge Priest

Bresson
> The Devil, Probably

>>66856985
No, Stalker and Mirror are probably his two best films. They are among the greatest films ever made by anyone. You must get past the idea that minority opinion = insightful opinion.
>>
>>66857080

Quite patrish tbhwy
>>
File: 1433575054573.gif (2 MB, 350x242) Image search: [Google]
1433575054573.gif
2 MB, 350x242
>>66856425
Brooks
>Men in Tights
E. de Souza
>Street Fighter
Cameron
>Aliens

what do I win?
>>
>>66857263
Beating.
>>
>>66856985
Fuck off shitlord, Stalker is genuinely his best film even if its the one that's the most popular.
>>
Spielberg
>Raiders of the lost Ark
Kubrick
>A Clockwork Orange
Tarantino
>Pulp Fiction
>>
Hitchcock-farmers wife , woodsy allen-Annie hall, Anderson-there will be blood....i really wish I knew more about cinema, anybody know good critics or books and websites par chance? 4 chan at 6am istagreatplaceto get startedon such things I know
>>
>>66857385
>anybody know good critics
Doug Walker
>>
>Pasolini
Salo
>Fassbinder
Beware of a Holy Whore
>Bresson
Quatre nuits d'un rêveur
>>
Josh Whedon
>Avengers
The Russo Brothers
>Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Inarritu
>Birdman
>>
Friedkin - Sorcerer
Spielberg - Jurassic Park
Kubrick - The Shining
>>
>>66856425
BANE
>Big Guy and his plane

Junior
>Problem Child 2: Revengeance

Riefenstahl
>Triumph des Willens
>>
>Bela Tarr - Satantango
>Kobayashi - Human Condition
>Max Ophüls - Lola Montès
Not really, I just think it's really silly how /tv/ thinks liking certain films is "patrician" and liking others is "pleb", when being patrician is actually when you can identify what it is about movies you think are good that is actually good. I've yet to hear someone explain in non-esoteric terms why they think pretentious crap like Bela Tarr is good.
>>
>>66857581
Satantango is funny af family
>>
>>66856798
>they are also not boring which makes them superior works of art

First of all, "boring" is completely subjective. I, and many others, don't find any of those films boring. Also, a "superior" work of art needs artistic merit, which none of the films you posted have. They're fine action movies, but nothing more.
>>
>>66856981
>>66857140
>>66856949
>>66857435
Great taste, lads.
>>
>>66858060

" I, and many others, don't find any of those films boring "

listen i watched these movie i like them, i love tarkovsky, but i dont feel the appeal of seeing any of these movie more than once.

and i agree with you

but the three movie iv listed have great deal of what you call artistic merit, in a way that they tell compelling and entertaining stories, kung fu husle have more poesy than any lynch movie which is more appealing to me.

i think you are just trying to be pretentious otherwise you would have agree that iv listed 3 good movie dude
>>
LYNCH
>Blue Velvet
KUROSAWA
>Ran
MALICK
>Days of Heaven
>>
Lynch:
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

Kurosawa:
Throne of Blood

Refn:
Only God Forgives
>>
>>66859678
>Only God Forgives

My nigga.
>>
babbys first kino
>>
>>66856425
If you don't have at least Kurosawa in that list, you have failed as human being.
>>
>>66860060
Kurosawa is objectively great, my list is subjective. Those are the directors who have made films that I find the most interesting.
>>
this may seem a bit boring and entry-level but fuck it i don't care. favorites are favorites.

Kurosawa - Ran (Ikiru and Dersu Uzala next two)
Tarkovsky - Mirror (Stalker and Andrei Rublev next two)
Ridley Scott - Blade Runner (Alien and Kingdom of Heaven next two)
>>
>>66859678
>Only God Forgives
>>66859989
I don't understand the hate for that movie. I think it's Refn best movie.
>>
>>66860163
Fair enough! Still I think it's obligatory, no matter what, to put that guy in the list...
>>
>>66860313
Me either, you're absolutely right. Anyone who is familiar with Refn's work beyond Drive ranks it among his best.
>>
came to post >>66856733

you're solidifying yourself as pleb by codifying anything into lists, tiers, favorites, etc.
>>
1.Pierrot le fou

anything else i like goes below, right now I suppose its Knight of Cups, never have i watched a better pleb filter than it
>>
>>66860313
the only "argument" people say is that it's "pretentious" and "weird". Honestly no one can explain to me why they think it's bad other than they didn't get it. I swear it feels like people have no idea how to watch movies.
>>
Batman Begins
The dark knight
The dark knight rises
>>
Wilder
>Double Indemnity

Kubrick
>Paths of Glory

Leone
>TGTBTU
>>
>>66860665
Pretty respectable, but

>TGTBTU
Not
>OUATIA
>>
>>66856862
Tarr, Malick, those are memes. Even Kubrick is a meme, because it's a popular choice. But Tarko is just a great director
>>
>>66857435
>>Fassbinder
I have to start with that guy someday...
>>
>>66860720
>he fell for the meme directors meme

Wew lad, no better way to out yourself as pleb
>>
>>66860712
I was trying to decide between In the West and In America, but I remembered how fucking great is The Good.
>>
>>66856425
I don't watch movies.
>>
>>66860840
/board
>>
>>66860864
this is not /v/
>>
Malick
>ToL, KoC, or Badlands
Lynch
>Mulholland Drive
Altman
>The Player
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.