[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain the appeal of this show? It's the most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6
File: mad-men-1024x768.jpg (162 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
mad-men-1024x768.jpg
162 KB, 1024x768
Can someone explain the appeal of this show? It's the most boring shit I've ever watched
>>
fat neckbeards love seeing people wearing fedoras
>>
>>66852562
They are absolute madmen.
>>
gentlesirs and titcows
>>
>>66852562
Your brain hasn't developed enough for you to enjoy it.
>>
This is a show for people who went to college. Don't sweat it broski 8-)
>>
>>66852562
You're not it's target audience.
>>
>>66852591
you've drunk so much semen you like mad men
>>
>>66852591
this
>>
Hendricks big milky white tits
>>
>>66852562
serious answer: excellent character development, writing and production design. It never feels like you're watching a tv show.
>>
>>66852562
>Can someone explain the appeal of this show?

It's pseudo-sophisticated entertainment that's engineered to appeal to the aspirational 14%'s "middlebrow desperately wanting to appear highbrow"-taste.
>>
Muh feminism.
>>
>>66852608
>it's

Neither are you
>>
>>66852562
Get back to watching The Big Bang Theory pleb. I wouldn't wrack my brains over it too much though. You just have shit taste tbqh famalam.
>>
>>66852656
This is the real reason.
>>
>>66852562
>literally an unfunny version of The Office

*yawn*
>>
File: 1448805564307.png (117 KB, 680x510) Image search: [Google]
1448805564307.png
117 KB, 680x510
>>66852562
>>
It's basically "i'm a rich businessman drinking, smoking and fucking" fantasy. The series focus more on character development and less on plot
>>
I really like the show because of the production design and the feel of the characters.

It just FEELS like a believable 60s environment, and a time you can picture yourself in, because of the sets, props, and clothing used.

And I love just watching the characters be themselves, interact, face problems, deal with life in general. Really, I thought it was going to be a boring show too, about "men working in an office" but no, you really only see the highlights, the stuff that's important.
You actually see them having fun, and you see them get into problems. It's great investing yourself in with the characters. That's the appeal of this show. And things are always moving along, there's no one specific subject or plotline that the show must follow for every episode, something a lot of shows do.

Bottom line, it's awesome storytelling. There's no action, but the action is you seeing the characters like they're real people dealing with whatever shit they have going on.
>>
here you go pal
>>
>>66852562
It's amazing. The character development is 10/10. The drama is 10/10. It's classy as fuck. The production design is goat, and the writing is great.

What more do you need?
>>
>>66852562
it's not for you pal. just watch something else
>>
It is my favourite show, but I can't really tell why I like it.
Probably the nice production, atmosphere, acting, writing, things like that.
>>
Its about Christina Hendricks cowtits.
>>
File: 1313696924083.png (18 KB, 550x375) Image search: [Google]
1313696924083.png
18 KB, 550x375
>>66852562
It's about men being masculine and women being feminine. If you don't like it hten I guess you are a low test beta cuck who doesn't even lift and doesn't like seeing masculine men because they make him insecure
>>
>>66852562
It has lots of appeals and perspectives of why someone might enjoy it

Top tier production values,aesthetics, directing captures the period perfectly and paid special attention to accuracy A lot of good dialogue, It's subtle but not too subtle, overall one of the best period dramas out there.
>>
>>66854273

Don Draper breaking down every 20 mins about the fucking war wasn't masculine. I gave up mid season 2 because it was just dull.
>>
>>66852562

It's drama, done well. Basically if soap operas had good writers.
>>
hurr durr hey guys I will shit post about what is considered to be one of the best television shows ever made

Fucking /b/ /pol/ and /v/ just leaking all over /tv/
>>
>>66852575
correct response
>>
>>66854398
>someone has a different opinion to me waaaaaahhhhhhhh

grow up
>>
>>66852656
bullshit. you don't even see them naked
>>
>>66852562
I watched 8 episodes and dropped it. If I give you 6 hours (basically 2 to 3 movie lenghts) you should at least have something interesting happen or set up something or anything. God damn it's NOT ANYTHING, THERE'S NOTHING HAPPENING
The most entertaining bit was Don being an alcoholic when setting up his kids jungle gym or whatever. He hates his family so much, but fuckin' a they don't show more of that, they keep going back to the ugly girl in the office who "a'int like the other girls". I'm surprised she doesn't have a purple mohawk.

I wanted to like it. It's got guys who hang around and talk and are at least friendly. It was supposed to be my new Sopranos, I wanted to like these guys like I like Tony and Paulie and Chrissy and Silvio and Big Pussy
>>
>>66856444
This. At the end of the day television series have to entertain the viewer in some way, and watching Mad Men just made me want to turn it off.
>>
>>66852562
It's a slow burn, almost soap-opera like drama following characters and just characters.
It requires investment and it isn't the kind of show you binge-watch.
>>
>>66856476

I know. And the worst part is people saying, "lol you just don't get it because it's subtle," and then when you ask what there is to get they just say, "lol go watch Breaking Bad."

Breaking bad actually had things happen in it that made you want to watch it every week. I don't know what's supposed to make you watch Mad Men every week.
>>
>>66856444
Sorry you're too dumb to pick up on subtle plotlines. At least there's plenty of crime dramas out there for you to enjoy.
>>
>mfw anything that doesn't have guns or swear words is now 'like a soap-opera'.

Just fuck off. All of you.

Don't care if you like the show or hate it, you are all plebs.
>>
>>66856546
Here we go again, the age old defence for autists who can't understand why people don't like their favourite thing

>y-you're just too stupid to understand this masterpiece!!!
>>
>>66856592
He's right though. You are really stupid.

Enough plebs 'got it' that it was able to run for 6 or 7 years.
>>
>>66856651

But what did they get? WHAT IS THE "IT" THAT THEY GOT????
>>
It's essentially a soap opera, really, so you kinda have to watch it like that. Do it in short bursts or maybe one episode a day, and really absorb what happens and what you think about characters, 'cuz that's how you build investment.

Maybe like, get another person to watch it so you can talk about it and go ''oh my god I can't believe x did that thing! Y's gonna be so mad when she finds out!'', or just leave it on your mind so when you're at work or something you randomly go ''wow man, x really needs to get his life back on track...''.

You basically have to watch and care about it in the same way your grandma did when she talked about her stories on the telly.
>>
>>66856530
>I don't know what's supposed to make you watch Mad Men every week.

It lasted for seven seasons and eight years, there was obviously something you missed that kept people coming back. Just accept that it's not for you
>>
>>66856717

And this something to so inexplicable to plebs like me that you just can't explain it to me? Just TELL ME WHY PEOPLE LIKE THE FUCKING SHOW?

If you don't, I have to onclude this is just another meme show people like just to appear smart.
>>
>>66856675

What do you mean. The characters are extremely well written and consistent throughout. The sets and costumes are interesting. Everything is consistently great. When you're older try watching it again.

>>66856684
>It's essentially a soap opera

Soap Opera = melodrama. cliff hangers and twists.
>>
>>66856282
doesn't matter, it's known for its clever dialogue and christina's tits. in fact her whole image is based on her marvelous chest and pretty much nothing else. they needed someone to portray the office bombshell and she was the perfect fit literally only because of her curves.
>>
>>66852562
It's primarily for women who want to complain endlessly and for men who think women only wanted to complain for actually being oppressed back then. The men will wake up eventually but for now they want to identify with the masculinity it showcases rather than spend time increasing their own.
>>
>>66856742
I already did ITT...

Great aesthetics , great production values, directing acting, captures the period the period, great characters I enjoyed watching , written dialogue,a lot of humor I found funny.

I don't really know what kind of answer you expect it's the same as any tv show, expect Mad Men has better production, sets and aesthetics than most of them
>>
>>66852698
you're wrong the middle class obsession with luxury isn't about appearances they desperately want to BE high class but they aren't so they fill their life with middle class luxuries

that being said, middle class luxuries and wanting to be upper class is more of a woman thing, so i don't think that's the appeal of mad men

i think it appeals to men who enjoy looking back at a more patriarchal society where everything was geared towards men and women didn't really matter

oh and characters and looking cool like you said
>>
>>66856880
>i think it appeals to men who enjoy looking back at a more patriarchal society where everything was geared towards men and women didn't really matter

Are you literally retarded? The first episode is filled with HURR LOOK HOW SEXIST THE 50s were, although the show does less of this shit as it goes on. Then you have all the subplots about strong independent women like Peggy
>>
File: 1370846465194.png (407 KB, 531x624) Image search: [Google]
1370846465194.png
407 KB, 531x624
>If you like this show you're a pseudo intellectual who wants to appear high brow
>you like it because you hate women

Jesus Christ you people fuck off .
>>
>>66856742
Holy shit how can you not get IT? People are literally telling you in the fucking thread, if that doesn't satisfy you read any review or critique out there.

It's characters, development, production and writing.

The show doesn't focus really on plot, but more on character relationships, and that can bring the feeling of boredom to people. There's not really any big setpieces, big twists, it's all about the fucking characters changing in a time where everything was fucking changing.

You didn't tune it in every week to see who based Heisenberg was going to outsmart this time, you did it to see a bit more on characters' normal lives and problems.

And the production is so spectacular that it set above most other shows at the time, it never feels cheap or like a set, it was like watching life back then, which added as a nice little history lesson At least for me that doesn't know much about American history

So there, do you get IT? Just accept that you either haven't lived enough or experienced enough in either a workplace or with relationships to really care or get invested in this sort of story.

Goddamn.
>>
>>66856880
>i think it appeals to men who enjoy looking back at a more patriarchal society where everything was geared towards men and women didn't really matter

What are you, some twitter using poofter?

Peggy makes huge progress throughout the show and Betty cheats on Don and divorces him. You probably only watched the first episode.
>>
>>66857005
It's really hard for me to understand why someone would like something I don't like
>>
>>66856960
yeah peggy's an exception though she's put in the show for women to have a character to root for
>>
>>66857023
>>66856796
>>66856717
>>66856651
>>66856546
>>66853994
>>66852743
>>66852608
>>66852602
>>66852591

Just wanted to chime in here and say something tells me these were all samefag or at least I hope they were because I can't imagine there being this many insufferable cunts in one thread. That or is this the Mad Men audience?

You sound worse than Man of Murder apologists.
>>
>>66852562
I felt that way very early on.

>Why the fuck should I care about which clients they get and if Don is an adulterer?

But it draws you in more and more and more and if you watch every episode - you'll end up loving it.

It's the same with The Wire. You need to stick with it to be drawn in.

Just because Season 1 isn't going at 1000mph, doesn't mean it isn't a great show.
>>
>>66852562
Same appeal as historical costume shows about great times. But it is history about Amerca, about time when America was Great.
>>
>>66857732

Yeah, The Wire is also for people too stupid to be cinephiles who will fart into the couch until they think they're watching Shakespeare. You know what's better than The Wire? Lying on the kitchen floor, looking up at your ajar microwave, holding your hand against your sweaty buttcheeks trying to hold in a liquid dump.
>>
>>66857789
We need to make America great again.
>>
>>66857789

Trump?
>>
File: 1385887660297.png (144 KB, 623x637) Image search: [Google]
1385887660297.png
144 KB, 623x637
>PEOPLE LIKE THINGS I DON'T LIKE AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY PLEASE HELP ME WAAAAH
Just as expected from this board
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.