[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did Walt genuinely care for Jesse?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7
File: walt.png (214 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
walt.png
214 KB, 500x281
Did Walt genuinely care for Jesse?
>>
I don't know. He kind of went out of the way to save him at the end.
>>
Walt was a plot device used by the writers

There were no characters in Breaking Bad
>>
>>66842511
>walt was a device that moved the plot forward

The literal definition of a protagonist.
>>
>>66842642
You misunderstand me. Everything in fiction is technically a device, but that doesn't mean you can't use devices to explore characters, like how in The Sopranos, there are episodes devoted to exploring the character of Tony Soprano.

In Breaking Bad there is no character exploration. Walt's character morphs and changes depending on what the plot requires, just like every other "character" in Breaking Bad
>>
Yes. He ran over those gangbangers for Jesse and put himself in an awful situation with Gus as a result. Walt could have just let Jesse die that night and everything would have been smooth sailing from then out.
>>
>>66842794
I fucking hate how right you are.
>>
>>66842794
How so? His character grows throughout the series. He was afraid of Tuco when he met him, and gradually evolved into becoming a ruthless druglord.
>>
Of course. There was no reason for Walt to put up with Jesse's shit once he met Gus. Jesse should have been killed countless times.
>>
yes

even fucking HANK knew that walt cared for jesse and none of them would have been killed by the nazi guys if Jesse wasn't a fucking idiot and just did Hanks plan
>>
>>66842861
This. It's literally character development: the show
>>
Yes, he goes out of his way to save him and look out for him (getting him to rehab, getting him on as a cook for gus, the conversation Walter had with Jane's dad in the bar about family he refers to Jesse as his nephew) he even calls Walter Jr Jesse by mistake
>>
>>66842861
The BrBa haters on this board can not accept this fact, don't bother arguing with them
>>
>>66842433
yea man that boipussi is the TIGHest
>>
>>66842998
TIGHTIGHTIGHTIGHT
>>
>>66842794
>The plot morphs and changes depending on what Walt's character requires
See how easy it is to spout nonsense?
>>
>>66842841
It made me angry too.

After the finale aired it took a while to resolve it in my head. It was like the illusion fell, everyone was just a puppet with strings for the writers to pull however they wanted.

>>66842861
>>66842910
>>66842978
>It's literally character development: the show
>He was afraid of Tuco when he met him, and gradually evolved into becoming a ruthless druglord.

Don't get me wrong, he changes as a character, but it's not a realistic exploration of a well drawn three-dimensional character.

If the plot calls for him to be on Jesse's side then he'll be Jesse's greatest ally, if the plot calls for Walt to want to hunt Jesse down then he'll hunt him down. There was no "character" of Walt, just whatever the plot called for.
>>
He was secretly ashamed of Walt Jr and tried to be a father to Jesse instead of Walt Jr. Walt Jr resents this before he's even really aware of it and the rift between them just gets larger as the show goes on.

Jesse is Walt's attempt at the son he wanted but never had.
>>
>>66843042
>It was like the illusion fell, everyone was just a puppet with strings for the writers to pull however they wanted.
It's almost like Vince is Walt himself

HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS
>>
>>66843032
The plot morphs and changes depending on what Tony Sopranos' character requires, that's for sure, which is because Sopranos is a character/theme based show primarily, and plot show tertiarily. On Breaking Bad the writers always put the plot first, creating a tightrope walk of tension and always painting everyone into tight corners. Actual meaningful exploration of character was second to the plot, and theme almost nonexistent.
>>
>>66842998
MY JEANS ARE SOOO TIGHT

HOTHOTHOTHOTHOTHOTHOT
>>
>>66843042
It explains pretty clearly that Walt's character became selfish. At first he was trying to help out his family. Eventually he got involved in most of the stuff that could have been avoided because he felt alive and couldn't come to terms with that.
>>
>>66843138
lol that's wrong
>>
the moral of the story is a cripple son will never be a real son
>>
>>66842861
>66842861
I do like how the first time Walt had to kill someone it was a big deal that took him days to get up the courage, but a couple seasons later he was just killing people whenever they needed to get killed.

>>66843042
do you understand how manipulative people work? They are you best friend when they have to be, and your worst enemy when they have to be.
Over the course of the show, you get a look at how manipulative Walt really is. In the early stages he appears to be a good stand up father who is generally clueless about crime and negotiating.

Later on he's manipulating the shit out of everyone and playing hardball constantly. You should go back and re-watch it because I'm not sure you understood everything you saw.
Walt's web of lies was a big part of his character, and that seems to have gone completely over your head.
>>
>>66843182
>Walt's character became selfish

>admits to Skyler that he never did it for his family but that he did it for himself
>rescues Jesse from the Nazis
>doesn't care where his millions of dollars are hidden

Yeah real selfish lmfao
>>
>>66843309
I understand his external actions are inconsistent as he becomes extremely manipulative, I'm arguing that he has no internal consistency.
>>
>>66843309
He acted strange in plenty of episodes, like when he was naked in the store, one of the diner scenes, and some others. It's only natural that he came to terms with what he does and actually enjoyed it.
>>
>>66843052
yeah this guy pegged it.

Although it wasn't one dimensional, Walt Jr also basically chose Hank over Walt any time he could. He never took an interest in chemistry or anything intelligence based, and clearly didn't understand Walt at all. He looked up to Hank as his father and Walt was just kinda pushed aside. It was giving him a glimpse at reality, that his son had already emotionally replaced him with Hank and didn't really care too much about him dying from cancer.
This became really clear at the pool scene where Walt lets "Flynn" drink alcohol till he pukes to interrupt the scene then laughs about it.

Jesse who appeared to be a worthless junkie ended up being a loyal follower who took a genuine interest in learning his formula and always sided with him until the bitter end...anyway.
>>
>>66843387
he does, he's a jaded father who is a brilliant chemist dying from cancer as a total nobody. He feels like he gave up his children's birthright for basically nothing and has a son and possibly wife that doesn't really love him. (this is why hes so attached to the baby)

He gets caught up in his own ego and building his empire as sort of way to show the world he can build something "great", that he is far above average. Since his name is basically smudged off of the Graymatter Technology history books. By the end it becomes clear he even accepts being a villain, he takes some pride in being the most wanted person in the country and having a "reputation" even though its terrible.

The only inconsistency is watching his morality decay and him grow into acceptance. Moral Walt is totally different from immoral Walt, but their ego is the same. Immoral Walt is just finally acting on it and cancer gives him the excuse.

Maybe just a little 2deep4u mate, His character was the most consistent internally. Externally is where is was "crazy" but only because it had to be.
>>
>>66843452
Yes you're right, the pivotal relationship of the show is between Walt and Walt Junior, the guy who only appears during breakfast because even the writers had no clue what the fuck to do with him
>>
>>66842433

yes, he was like a son to him but he wasn't aboce using him for one of his scams.
>>
File: bb-14-4.jpg?15016e.jpg (35 KB, 443x399) Image search: [Google]
bb-14-4.jpg?15016e.jpg
35 KB, 443x399
>"Well, Walt, It appears I just killed your step-brother Hank, therefor destroying any last chance you had at rekindling your relationship with your family. Instead of just making my life a lot easier by murdering you along with Hank, keeping this 80 million dollars to myself and the gang, I'll leave you here in the desert with a few million at your disposal, despite the fact that you've betrayed literally every other partner in crime you've had, the last of which has become a meth-cooking-slave because of you. I'll naively assume this treacherous position I've left you in won't backfire any way in the future, bye."
>>
>>66843623
You're basically just parroting the premise of the show to me, you haven't told me anything that isn't obvious to anyone staring at the back of the dvd cover
>>
>>66843695
>skinhead in charge of coming with good ideas and rationale behind said good ideas
>>
>>66843695
He literally spared him because they were similar and also noticed that he was wrecked internally due to what happened to Jesse and Hank.
>>
File: uncle-jack[1].jpg (22 KB, 325x200) Image search: [Google]
uncle-jack[1].jpg
22 KB, 325x200
>>66843695
>"Huh, what's that? Walt is at the front gate of our nazi base? He's looking disheveled and driving a rundown car? You mean the Walt that we 100% know for a fact blew up the last drug kingpin that betrayed him with a bomb, in a nursing home no less? Sure let him in, and definitely don't check the trunk"
>>
>>66843695
What did he mean by that?
>>
>character development
>3-dimensional, realistic human characters
>Breaking Bad

lol, it's an IRL cartoon designed to "thrill" viewers and put them on the edge of their seat. It doesn't have lifelike, fleshed-out *characters* with any sort of range of emotional experiences.
>>
>>66843735
>the premise of the show is heavily reliant on the protagonist's character
Yes, that is usually the case.

>says its all obvious
>still claims the protagonist has no character
wow you're dumb. It seems you lack basic comprehension.

alright, go ahead and fuck off then.
>>
>>66843863
He's one dimensional, there's nothing to be interpreted by his actions because he's a puppet for the plot and acts inconsistently, not the good inconsistent-like-people-in-real-life but the bad poorly-written-poorly-executed-cartoon-character
>>
>>66843695
>Jesse a slave before he's actually a slave
nice timeline faggot.
>>
>>66843957
you're probably right, haven't seen the show since it first aired.

main point still stands though boo
>>
>>66843843
"No, Walt. I'm not going to kill you. You may have emotionally abused me, you may have knocked my girlfriend onto her back and watched her suffocate on her own puke, and yes, you may have ordered Nazis to have me killed before allowing me to be imprisoned by said Nazis who then shot my other girlfriend in the head when I tried to escape, but no. I won't kill you Walt. In fact I'll give you a lil nod of approval, acknowledging all the good times we had, before we part ways. See ya round, Mr White, oh by the way thanks for calling the cops on me ensuring my capture shortly after leaving this compound"
>>
>>66843918
>I didn't get it: the post
ok, we know you didn't get it and you stubbornly cling to your position because you value being contrarian above all else.

Thing is, you just look dumb as hell at this point. At first I thought you were worth speaking to from a discussion standpoint. Now I realize you're just a stereotypical contrarian faggot looking to shitpost and prove how cool you are online.

When confronted with actual points you reply with memes about dvds and then go back to parroting your original "point"(implying) with no growth or development whatsoever.

The real "one dimensional" character here is you, but I know you lack the comprehension to ever understand the irony.
>>
>>66843918
Or, his character was developed. Now you're comparing him to a cartoon.
>>
>>66843347
>Walt's character became selfish

>admits to Skyler that he never did it for his family but that he did it for himself
>rescues Jesse from the Nazis
>doesn't care where his millions of dollars are hidden

all of this happened in the last episodes where he realized how bad of a person he became. he was coming clean and righting what wrongs he could before he inevitably died.
>>
>>66842433
No, he was a manipulative piece of shit that only cared about himself and a wife that fucked other men.
>>
>>66843138
>and theme almost nonexistent.
what do you call the theme, in this sentence ?
the theme of BB would be how to dwell in drugs cartel once you have cancer ?
what would be the theme of the sopranos ?
>>
>>66844165
>how to dwell in drugs cartel once you have cancer
Not him but that's not the theme lmao. The theme is "change".
>>
Breaking Bad isn't trying to be complex and when it tries it comes out as pretty stupid. It is just really well made.
>>
>>66844254
this. i thought that was obvious. its even spelled right the fuck out for you in the first episode when walt does his little chemistry teacher rant.
>>
>>66844254
so change is just the story of the becoming opposite of what you were. Nice.
>>
Walt is a flawed character, he didn't know whether or not he cared for Jesse
>>
>>66844462
Well, he surely had ambiguous morals. I loved that I couldn't feel completely empathic about him, kinda made it realistic.
>>
>>66843695
>therefor destroying any last chance you had at rekindling your relationship with your family
Walt could have lied when he came home and said Hank and Gomie took a bribe from him to let him go. That would have explained both Hank and the money's disappearance to the family, and would have been more in character for Walt.
>>
>>66844423
Come again?
>>
>>66842433
Walt was a sociopath incapable of caring for anybody. He tricked himself into believing he cared for his family, but obviously he didn't.
>>
>>66844423
Vince Gilligan set out to "turn Mr. Chips into Scarface". Its a change in the sense of a kind of metamorphosis. Plus, Walt may be a very different person towards the end of the show but he still retains his core flaw, which is his pride.
>>
>>66843695
>>66843822

He spared him because his nephew asked him to
>>
>>66842433

He cared for humanity, which is why he build "the happiest place on earth"
>>
Yeah he just cared for himself and having the most power and his "empire" much more
>>
>>66844075
Not him but you could've just ok.
>>
I think he cared for Jesse for a little bit, but he eventually stopped caring. During his meltdowns, everyone was telling him to either forget about Jesse or kill him, but he never did. He always looked out for him, but he eventually let go.
>>
File: smuggest anime girl.png (152 KB, 422x307) Image search: [Google]
smuggest anime girl.png
152 KB, 422x307
>all the plebs ITT

jesus christ stay in school kids
>>
>>66843695
>took an entire year for Walt to get his revenge
Tbh if you do this and the fuck doesn't come back in a month than you're literally convinced that he's dead
>>
>>66843695
Another thing
How else would be escape? He's literally the most wanted man right now and there's a manhunt for him all over the US
>>
No, Jesse was nothing more than a meme to him.
>>
>>66845380
I have about as much respect for breaking bad as I do for the dogshit on my shoe. It is reddit. It is video game hotpocket. It is capeshit. It is cheeto dust. I'm literally screaming right now and slamming my arms down on my desk just thinking about it.

It is the most depraved video game infantilized manchild degeneracy. It is saturday morning cartoon. It is non-neurotypicality. It is memes. It is video game. It is tarantino. It is imdb.
>>
>>66845515
heheh. . . meme
>>
>>66845515
where did this originally come from?
>>
>>66843042
The plot calls for Walt and Jesse to have an up and down relationship. Everytime Walt goes against Jesse it makes total sense
>Jane was manipulating Jesse and ruining his life so Walt made a choice to do what he had to to get Jesse back for him to control.
>Jesse literally leads Hank directly to the most incriminating piece of evidence they have, forcing Walt to betray Hank on a very personal level. Uses this to continue his manipulation of Jesse rather than just killing him. Even lets Jesse threaten him as his get out of jail free card. He even gets Gus to give him a job. He clearly cared about Jesse, but at times he needed to put Jesse back in his place to continue using him as needed.
>Jesse is being used as a pawn to take out Walt. Walt manipulates and lies to him in order to gain an advantage over Gus, eventually resulting in Walt getting Jesse back on his side, thus becoming the X factor in killing Gus
>Jesse starts acting out, spiraling out of control (throwing money around town, trying to donate his money to that kids family) Walt again restrains from just killing Jesse despite the risk he will ruin everything (which he does)
>Eventually sells out Jesse to the Nazis because Jesse broke the one rule all criminals honor. No snitching. Although it may have been over the top and harsh, he certainly didn't tell them to kill Jesse to forward the plot, he did it because snitching was the ultimate betrayal.
>ends up saving Jesse anywYs because deep down Jesse was like a son to him.
These are just a few examples off the top of my head. Everything that happened between them was organic, not just some lame ass plot device
>>
>>66845760
>he had to to get Jesse back for him to control.

I don't buy this. The only reason he went back to save him from Jane was because of the conversation with her dad about never giving up on the ones you love. It wasn't some scheme to make him his bitch again.
>>
>>66845916
I think you're right with that statement, he definitely went back because what Jane's Dad said to him definitely resonated with him. However, this doesn't change the fact that he saw an opportunity (Jane choking) to get Jesse back on his side, and he took it despite the consequences.
>>
>>66842433

Not up until the very last episode, which is why the series is shit.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.