[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did he call them hobbitses when he himself was a hobbit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: 960.jpg (58 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
58 KB, 960x540
Why did he call them hobbitses when he himself was a hobbit
>>
>>66806513
Cos he's fucking crazy
>>
>>66806513
Been forever since I read the books, but I think it's explained that he's a different and older breed of Hobbit. Most non-Hobbit characters in the books were unfamiliar with the term too. Everyone else called them halflings.
>>
He's a stoor
>>
Because he doesn't remember his past.
>>
>>66806513
What the fuck was golem's problem? There's now way a simple ring could fuck him up that much
>>
>>66808089
Absolute power corrupts absolutely. It wasn't just a simple ring, half of Middle Earth wouldn't be hunting it down if it was.
>>
>>66806513
the ring twisted him into a monster. hes no longer a hobbit

is this a pseudo late night lotr thread? those are the best
>>
>>66808292
Sure

watching twin towers as we speak
>>
>>66808237
why did it make frodo and bilbo invisible, but do nothing for gollum
>>
>>66808980
Gollum never put it on, at least while the books were going on.
>>
>>66808980
>>66809026
He put it on occasionally, when he was most desperate and had to go further up the tunnels to kill. But he could only bear it briefly. From having the ring so long, it wore his down to where he couldn't even handle having it in a pouch because it gored him. That's why Bilbo found it on Gollum's island.
>>
Why do I call my friends "guys" when I myself am a guy?
>>
If wizards are basically angels why don't more men train to become them?
>>
>>66808980

In the books it was explained that when Gollum first got the ring he used the ring to be a creepy ass peeping tom and a thief and a murderer.
>>
>>66809098
He wore it when he hunted for food or got a mad case of the crazies but never wore it while the books were taking place because he'd already lost it, or more accurately, Bilbo already found it.
>>
>>66806513
that was his way of calling them fucking normies
>>
>>66809141
They're angels in the sense that the gods put them on the earth to do their work.
>>
>>66806513
When gollum is talking to himself and says hobbitses he's merely referencing the two hobbits standing across from him, really quite simple.
gollum is said to be pretty fucking old, his life stretching further and further as a result of the ring of power. The ring was lost by Isildur for some 2000 years before being found by Smeagol's friend and later by Smeagol. Smeagol then decided to crawl up into the mountains where he would never be found, and with the ring he was forgotten for another 2000 years.
Hobbit was the name they had for those that set up in a cozy little corner called the shire, just out of reach of everything else, to the point where nobody knew just what they were or where they came from, even the dark lord himself.
>>
>>66811140
Gollum found the ring 556 years before it was destroyed, so he's around 600, not 2000.
>>
>>66808980
Speaking of that is it true the power the ring gives you is based on your personality/ambition?

So like meek hobbits turn invisible to hide from enemies but a human king or a wizard like Saruman would gain god like fighting strength?
>>
>>66811388
Yeah the readings describe both instances of the ring being lost to time in a similar way, I assumed both instances took the same amount of time between them, I do remember gollum being a myth even to Bilbo, up until the encounter.
Thanks for the correction.
>>
>>66806513
he forgot he is a hobbit

i'm not sure how old he was but he was fucking old and the ring drove him mad
>>
>>66811767
As far as i remember it magnifies your influence over others. It only really works if you're already in a position of power.
>>
>>66811771
fuck off, quit your bullshit
>>
>>66811767
The power of the ring, how it works, what it exactly does, is never exactly specified. It's only ever talked about as if it's important. The ring works whatever way you like. It is all speculation.
>>
>>66806513
He's a Stoor - not a Hobbit.

A stoor is a Hobbit in the same way a New Zealander is an Australian. Call one the other and they'll correct you.

Beyond that, He'd literally disassociated from that identity entirely.

Remember the scene when Frodo tells him his own name? He repeats it in disbelief as if he'd forgotten it all together...

Smeagol was never a Hobbit, and even if he were - he had no memory of who he was prior to being Gollum anyway.
>>
>>66808237
God is omnipotent and pure good
>>
>>66812000
>Omnipotent
Do you mean he can do everything or just everything that can be done?
>>
>>66812000
Is he? He massacred his on creations multiple times, God has killed more people than Satan.
>>
>>66811975
He's a fucking Hobbit you twat, he just happens to be Stoorish. Not calling him a hobbit would be like not calling Thranduil and Elf because he's Sindarin.
>>
>>66812035
The former. The latter is just the unfolding equation of the universe set in motion by the Big Bang. God wrote the equation and can modify it at will.
>>
>>66812080
Christian God a shit, don't bring him up
>>
>>66812173
fuck off ahmed
>>
>>66812198
Virgin detected
>>
>>66812115
>believing this horseshit in 2016
Religion has been used throughout history to control people because they didn't know any better. Grow the fuck up and think for yourself.
>>
>>66812754
You don't have to be religious to believe in God. Atheism has existed only in the modern era. It's a meme. You only are an atheist because of your envrionment.
>>
>>66806513
because they are hobbits? if black people can go around calling each other niggas, hobbits can go around calling other hobbits hobbits
>>
File: 1453097915977.jpg (58 KB, 984x668) Image search: [Google]
1453097915977.jpg
58 KB, 984x668
>It's a non-comfy LotR thread

Disappointed in all of you
>>
>>66812198
Islam is a different interpretation of the same god, Dongus.
>>
File: Screenshot_3.jpg (60 KB, 756x182) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_3.jpg
60 KB, 756x182
>>
>>66808089
>a simple ring

this is some low quality bate mate
>>
>>66811767
No, the invisibility was just them being thrust half in half out of the world and into the spirity realm place. If Frodo's dick was big enough he could resist that and use whatever other powers the ring gives; mind control(?) or whatever. But he'd also go crazy even faster.
>>
>>66814580
Why did the ring prefer Hobbits as bearers?
>>
>>66808089
It wasn't a simple ring, but it should be noted that the Ring brought out Sméagol's murderous side far more quickly than even Boromir.
Is there any early information on Sméagol? Could he have been a piece of shit before he found the ring?
>>
>>66815038
weak minds
>>
>>66815038
Layman's perspective here, but from what I've seen, the ring played on your ambitions. Hobbits had very little ambition at all. The Sackville-Bagginses only ever wanted some spoons that weren't theirs, and they were considered greedy as fuck.
>>
why did Gillum let the ring out of sight when Bilbo first found it?
>>
To be spiteful because he had changed so much.
>>
>>66815454
Watch the movie, you bater,
>>
>>66812115
heres the question: why would god modify something he's already created? why would it need to be modified?
god doesnt have free will, the way man has free will, because time is of no consequence to god, he does not choose. or rather, any choices he has made has already been made
>>
>>66811908
Except this is wrong. The power of the ring is fairly well explained. The ring magnifies Sauron's strongest power, the ability to dominate lesser wills.
>>66814943
This anon is kinda correct, but you actually don't need to wear the ring to benefit from its power. When Sam ends up with the ring when Frodo is captured the Orcs mistake him for an ancient beast many times stronger than Gandalf and flee before him. This is mostly because the ring is basically a magnifying glass for Sauron's power and the closer you are to Sauron the more power you can 'wield'.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.