[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just marathoned this (seriously) and holy shit it's good.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 9
File: The_Expanse.jpg (780 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
The_Expanse.jpg
780 KB, 1920x1080
I just marathoned this (seriously) and holy shit it's good.

I thought it would be a low-budgo adaptation like most sci-fi series but no, they really put some fucking work into it.

>huge budget
>expensive sets
>space battles
>zero gravity scenes
>complex story covering on multiple planets
>>
It was pretty good

>season 2 only in 2017

Kill me
>>
>>66744025
inb4 the haters, OP is absolutely right, best Sci Fi show of the years, and probably the best in years.
>>
>>66744070
yeah that sucks but at least they're doing another season
>>
>>66744025
a little bit slow but the last 4 eps were good
>>
>>66744025
I nearly quit when emo-detective wore his fucking fedora. Glad I didn't, best sci-fi I've seen on tv since defiance.
>>
>>66744025
The only thing that bothered me was /pol/ triggers with the diverse cast.

Once I suspended my disbelief over that and tolerated the B tier acting in the first few episodes, it was pretty good.
>>
Best TV sci-fi original concept since Farscape.

I recently marathoned it too.

Great cast and an interesting story.
>>
File: 2131513412312.jpg (353 KB, 1436x1920) Image search: [Google]
2131513412312.jpg
353 KB, 1436x1920
>>66744265
I agree that some of the extras weren't great but the main cast has good actors in it
>>
>>66744417
The worst one was that Mars battleship admiral being some short asian woman.
It was like really... you just had to go for muh equality for that role..

And yes id blame the book just as much if that was the source.
>>
>>66744490
yea it's hard to believe someone like her would make it into the military in the first place. she would have to go straight into officer training or something
>>
File: no-oscarprio.jpg (74 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
no-oscarprio.jpg
74 KB, 1280x960
>>66744025
I also found this show on /tv/, it's great
>>
>>66744025
>I just marathoned this

What? It's not a long film, you can't "marathon" a TV show...
>>
>>66744025
I'm dying waiting for the next season.
>>
>>66744417
muh dick
>>
File: TheExpanseAmos.jpg (53 KB, 740x416) Image search: [Google]
TheExpanseAmos.jpg
53 KB, 740x416
>>66744025
Who Amos here?
>>
File: ex1_7tsz.jpg (28 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
ex1_7tsz.jpg
28 KB, 612x380
>>66744025
what did they mean by this?
>>
File: just_kill_me_fam.gif (909 KB, 500x383) Image search: [Google]
just_kill_me_fam.gif
909 KB, 500x383
>>66745865
I'm this close to just get the fucking books already, but I won't be able to enjoy the next season if I read first and watch later.
>>
>dat professionalism
>>
>>66745907
me. i am amos
>>
>>66746191
What the fuck were those pills he snacked before interrogation.
>>
>>66746191

Gone too soon
>>
>>66746191
Seriously wasted character I thought would stick around.
>>
>>66746227
Stuff to up his perception. He was reading micro-tics.

>>66746205
Would Amos be concerned a legit nihilist? His outlook on life fascinates me.
>>
>>66744109

/thread
>>
File: TheExpanse_science_103_04.jpg (38 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
TheExpanse_science_103_04.jpg
38 KB, 900x506
>no slenderfu to touch you a new language
>>
i watched about 6 eps and was very bored.
not the slowburn heady themes i was expecting.. its just a less cheesy looking version of syfy garbage. Not terrible, but i wouldnt even say its good.. So much else does the same but better so why bother.. Yea maybe not in shows, but maybe this theme doesnt work well as a live action tv show to begin with.
>>
>>66746285
theres should be a * tho..

*Best scifi show in years. Best space show in years..
doesnt mean its still good.. the bar was very low to begin with. Better than shit could still be trash
>>
>>66746277
i dunno but he did what had to be done without hesitation
>>
File: giphy.gif (818 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
818 KB, 500x281
>>66744490
More importantly, why was she sipping coffee on the bridge during a battle? Shouldn't everything be secured for high-g and low-g combat maneuvers?
Why did they even bring Holden up to the bridge? Isn't that a liability? Isn't that against opsec or something?
Why are all the ships controlled by little tablets? Wouldn't those little swing arms they're attached to snap like toothpicks under high g's?
Why are the urinals on the Rocinante gravity operated? When that one spy prisoner is taking a piss, he's standing at an actual urinal! You can hear him tinkling! What if they cut engines? There'd be pee everywhere! Why not just use a vacuum sound effect? Don't astronauts pee into vacuums? Didn't this show claim to be realistic?
Why are all the ship interiors so enormous? In the book, it's constantly pointed out how cramped everything is on spaceships. The set designs should look like the inside of a submarine. Instead they look like they filmed everything in a gymnasium.
Hell, remember Holden's quarters on the Canterbury? It was huge and empty. Except for his personal exercise bike and weight set.
Hold the phone..
A PERSONAL SET OF LIFTING WEIGHTS?!
This is on a spaceship, a place where the need to conserve mass is vitally important. Did holden look at his personal mass allowance when he came aboard and think to himself "gotta look tonned for those skinny Ceres babes, better blow my whole allowance and pack 100lb of iron. Who cares that we won't even be under acceleration for the whole journey, making lifting weights FUCKING USELESS!, what are exercise elastics anyway?"

Anyway, fun show. I'm 7 episodes in and rather enjoying it.
>>
>>66746644
Fun points. I don't think the lifting weights is much of an issue though. They'd be under acceleration as long as they're not gathering ice, which is a few weeks at least. Personal mass allowance is probably pretty lax too, since the ship a) doesn't have to climb out of the bottom of gravity wells and b) has nine Epstein torches the size of frigates strapped to its arse.
>>
>>66746644
>More importantly, why was she sipping coffee on the bridge during a battle? Shouldn't everything be secured for high-g and low-g combat maneuvers?

Wasn't it more like they had some unknown approaching targets but they hardly considered the possibility someone would actually attack them. Also it was a top of the line battleship, it's probably pointless to try to do a high-g burn during combat with a vessel that's several hundreds of meters long. At most they'd use thrust to alter their facing for some weapons but a ship that size won't be making maneuvers fast enough to bother trying to flip around or do anything silly like that.
>>
>>66746829
yeah i can imagine a real life battleship captain sipping coffee as they blow some crappy pirate boats
>>
>>66744490
syfy is still libtarded
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.