[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know I'm late, but god damn this was an amazing movie.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 5
File: interstellar-poster.jpg (688 KB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
interstellar-poster.jpg
688 KB, 2000x1500
I know I'm late, but god damn this was an amazing movie. I've never been the biggest fan of Chris Nolan, but I really can't think of anything negative to say about this one without just being cynical
>>
>>66730246
I saw it a while ago, but I remember not liking it because it kinda wrapped all its logic up in an ex machina.
>>
>>66730246
I think you're mistaken. This is /tv/. This is a board where we shitpost, pretend to like pretentious obscure shit, and recycle trolling memes. Nobody actually discusses movies they like, especially mainstream movies. Sorry, bro.
>>
>>66730246
I really enjoyed it. I know the whole "love can transcend space-time" thing was a little fantastical, but that didn't bother because the movie had a stronger focus on characters/emotions than on pure, hard science-fiction.

My only real complaint is that some of the scenes on Earth towards the last third of the movie felt a little too long or not needed. It wasn't bad, it just muddled the pacing for me.
>>
>>66730246
>I really can't think of anything negative to say about this one without just being cynical
Power of love bullshit was cringey Moffat tier, other than that it was good.

Dr. Mann being crazy / evil was way too obvious though.

And why did they not bother rescuing the other scientists after humanity was saved? They obviously had the resources for it if they just gave the main dude a shuttle to go visit the retard scientist woman at the end.
>>
>>66730756
what other scientists you dumbfuck???
>>
>>66730805
The original mission was 12 scientists, they only checked on 3 of them during the movie.
>>
>>66730840
Because there were only three alive. Three planets. They fucking talk about this in the movie, that the other nine gave their lives bravely for humanity.
>>
>>66730756
the "power of love" was significant because it was the only thing to motivate someone to launch themselves into a black hole to look in the tesseract

the most powerful thing in the universe

the sad part is how many retards such as yourself couldn't see that
>>
File: Handshake.webm (3 MB, 720x314) Image search: [Google]
Handshake.webm
3 MB, 720x314
I liked it
>>
it could have been great
definitely should have won the oscar for best special effects
too bad he lets his fucking retarded piece of shit brother write his stupid screenplays
>>
>>66730875
No, they said that there was one system that showed promise because it had three potential worlds and they only had the resources to visit one system, not that there were no other potentials at all.
>>
>>66730979
>too bad he lets his fucking retarded piece of shit brother write his stupid screenplays
But Jonathan is the talented one
>>
>>66730985
Creating a new colony or earth 2 on a planet orbiting a black hole sure sounds like a great idea
>>
>>66730246
Nolan can make technically competent movies but that's about it, and when I say can I mean CAN, not does. He's not even consistently solid with the basics.

All of his movies feel like they were written by autists and as for larger themes and ideas, he doesn't really seem to have any of his own and just tries to copy other well known movies or go with vague nonsense and dress it up as more than it is.

There are so many movies that have handled similar ideas so much more gracefully and entertainingly; Mission to Mars, Contact, Dark Star, Royal Space Force. This movie might be remembered in the future by plebs who don't know better and think they're showing their kids something on par with 2001 but Interstellar is nothing in the history of science-fiction. It's empty, weak and boring but still I think I hate it more for what I think it represents than what it is.
>>
File: 1419173578958.jpg (89 KB, 600x1202) Image search: [Google]
1419173578958.jpg
89 KB, 600x1202
>>66731035
ill give u the benefit of the doubt but please tell me how is he 'talented' when the only good thing he did was write the story memento was based on?
>>
>>66731038
It wouldn't have mattered at all though. There was no plan A, so the entire species would age together and it wouldn't mean anythintg unless the time dilation was so significant that the universe would be dead by the time the species recovered, and as the signals were only simple pings and not transmuting data, they knew the chances of one or more of them being incorrect or not quite good enough was significant
>>
>>66731144
Jonathans solo work is great (Person of Interest)
John and Chris co-writing is good (TDK, Memento)
Chris having creative control is bad (TDKR)
>>
>>66730756

>Power of love bullshit was cringey Moffat tier

It sounds really corny on paper (and it did get a little corny) but I actually thought it was a pretty interesting idea, the way they were discussing it. It was less about THE POWER OF LOVE in a Hallmark-card sense, and more about exploring the idea of love as a sort of external, not-fully-understood force of predestination. I'm not going to say it didn't reach into cheese territory at times, Nolan's work always does, but it wasn't as dumb as you're making it out to be
>>
>muh love is the most powerful thing in this universe

faggot kike shit man
>>
>>66731253
so much this
>>
>>66731143
>much more gracefully and entertainingly; Mission to Mars, Contact, Dark Star
Those are all the opposite of graceful and entertaining..
Royal Space Force isn't that similar, beyond the theme of humanity forgetting their squabbles and reaching for something greater.

>empty, weak and boring
I don't see how people can say this.
It's all about Coop. Coop was endearing.
>>
How did Hans Zimmerframe get away with so blatantly copying Philip Glass?
>>
>>66730985
oh true, maybe think sequel?
the 9 other scientists got sent to 9 other systems with one habitable world each. probably pretty distant from each other.
>>
>>66731143
uhm those are all movies having to do with aliens. Interstellar was never about aliens..... It was about humanity's ability to continue living...
>>
>>66731253
It's actually a metaphor for humanism and what makes us keep going. Logically they were pretty doomed as a species, but because humans are illogical and we have emotions, we kept trying and ended up succeeding...
>>
>>66731857
>those are all the opposite of graceful and entertaining
Fight me faggot. And Coop wasn't endearing, he was boring. Maybe if you look at him and what he went through he could seem cool, but everything is bland when viewed through the Nolan-lens.

>>66732143
I was going to call you a stupid faggot but then I saw the ellipses.
>>
>>66732402
>everything is bland when viewed through the Nolan-lens.
If it was any other character in a Nolan flick I would agree. Matthew Mcconaughey is more responsible for him being likeable than the writer.
>>
>>66732402
ellipses, huh?
>>
>>66732579
...yeah... they're really.... fucking............................................................................... gay
>>
>>66732682
how do they have the power to make someone not a stupid faggot?
>>
>>66732757
They have the power to make someone not worth calling a stupid faggot.
>>
>>66732778
now that's stupid.
>>
>>66732833
faggot
>>
>>66730979
>definitely should have won the oscar for best special effects
It did, what it should have won is best score
>>
IM COMIN MURF
>>
Why were Gravity and the Martian showered with Oscar nominations but Interstellar wasn't?
>>
Great mashups of the Endurance themes. Shit is really intense. I love how in this mashup the song just 'wakes up' suddenly. Intense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Xt3-XbHI8
>>
>>66735073
the movie itself didn't blow me away, but the music was riveting. I don't remember a time in recent years when music blew me away the way it did in Interstellar

You had this whole sense of tension and time and love and it really had a 'religious' feel to it because of the massive pipe organ samples
>>
>>66730565
/thread
>>
I loved the designs for the robots in the movie. You didn't need the script to explain who they were or how they worked, everyone just assumed "these are the robots we have"

They were designed in part to function in zero gravity, and never failed in any of their functions. the only time I remember it being weird was when they were on the water planet, where they don't have -any- time and Doyle doesn't immediately tell Case "Go get the beacon and Dr Miller's body" he waits until she's trapped under some wreckage or something.

Seeing how fast the robot could move under pressure, and how easily it carried Dr Brand was incredible
>>
>>66734942
Because nolan is a shitty filmmaker.
>>
I CAN'T HEAR YOU MISTER SPACEMAN
DON'T FUCKING MUMBLE THE LINES
>>
TARS SET PLEB LEVELS TO 85%
>>
>>66730565
>we
>>
I can't remember a more tense scene in recent history than when matthew mcconaughey is lining up the ship in a spin to save the Endurance after Matt Damon blows up the airlock

And he's passing out and he tells Case to take the stick if he passes out, and Tars is in the back lining up the ships

We think there's a chance he might fail, but we doubt these robots who aren't human and aren't easily going to fuck up

shit was insane
>>
>>66735103
Zimmer really went all out with the pipe organ aye.
It really does have some kind of ethereal feeling,almost like a desperate prayer.
>>
>>66735216
IT WAS GREAT UP UNTIL THE TIME TRAVEL ENDING
>>
>>66735276
I read an article Zimmer took part in and wrote how he wanted the music to feel like it was breathing, which only a pipe organ, bagpipe, or accordion could do.

obviously you can't have intense cinematic music on a bagpipe or accordion, he said
>>
>>66735314
>obviously you can't have intense cinematic music on a bagpipe or accordion

a true artist would see that as a challenge
>>
>>66735351
haha i don't think it would have suited Interstellar specifically, but hey if you're up the challenge do it up
>>
>>66735177
>You didn't need the script to explain who they were or how they worked, everyone just assumed "these are the robots we have"

I guess you forgot the part where the script literally explains who they are and how they work?
>>
>>66730246
7/10 at best.

Maybe a directors cut would fix all the issues I have with it.
>>
>>66735380
"They are marine corp robots" and "We are funny sometimes if you want" were pretty much all we were told
>>
>>66735438
That's a really long "yes."
>>
>>66735185
Innaritu has 4 oscars so I don't think you need to be that good
>>
>>66735496
Things the script didn't say: "These robots move really fast and can be jettisoned into black holes. They can also go into a star shape to move really quickly and lock into place when needed. Also they can carry people."

The characters (and by proxy, the viewers) didn't need to be told this, like any other Hollywood kino would.
>>
>look at me trying to ape 2001 and Solaris and failing: the flick
>>
What happened to his son
>>
>>66735849

Hopefully he died a lingering choking death. What an asshole.
>>
Interstellar wasn't bad but Nolan has a ton of better movies (Dark Knight, Memento and the Prestige are all tiers above Interstellar)
>>
>>66730246
Plot went totally retarded at the end but everything else was really stellar

>love is some kind of other fundamental force like gravity

No, dam it why did you ruin this
>>
>>66735964
Presumably he went on to have a large family. The family that comes to see Murph on her death bed was pretty big. I just assumed his son had a large family of his own that also came to see Murph
>>
If we became fucking 5D beings
why not open the fucking hole i don't know NEXT TO MARS
>>
>>66736009
>OMG LOVE HOW RETARDED

How does it feel knowing you will die alone anon?
>>
>>66736094
We all die alone old timer, but we do live among men
>>
It wasn't that love was a quantifiable force like gravity, it was that it was a driving force in nature.

Love leads to sacrifice, which is how Dr. Mann inspired 12 people to go presumably to their deaths in order to save humanity.

Cooper's love for Murph led him into the black hole to (as he presumed) sacrifice himself. The bulk beings that had mastered time and gravity used his love for Murph to contact her through time and space.

Yeah, it's weird, but I always figured it was more of a "Love leads to great feats of sacrifice for loved ones" rather than "Love is what allows time travel"
>>
>>66736047
That was awkward, Coop walked into the room and didn't even pay attention to any of the other family members

>>66736060
>why not open the fucking hole i don't know NEXT TO MARS
Homage to 2001, originally the monolith was going to on Saturn instead of Jupiter but Kubrick couldn't figure out a way to make the rings.
>>
Did not really mind the DUDE LOVE LMAO, but it was Hathaway's delivery that made it cringe and terrible.
>>
>>66736170
He went on the adventure knowing he would never, ever have any connection to his descendants. He knew he was going to age only a few years when everyone else aged decades. He didn't even know he was going to see Murph again.

In the context of the film, Murph was the brilliant hero to humanity for discovering the gravity equation or whatever and allowing humanity to pass through the wormhole and survive.

He went into say goodbye to Murphy, no one else. The movie even said he was 120+ years old
>>
>>66736245
I'm with you on that.

The way the info was delivered by Hathaway was goofy as fuck. In a movie where hard science reigns supreme and such attention is paid to limited resources (food, gas, time, etc) it seemed odd that they wouldn't clean up those lines or go with a different take
>>
>>66736159
Love is pulling brand to the right planet at the beginning, because if she doesn't get there in time, edmund is going to be killed by a rockslide.

Then love is established as exactly how coop is able to navigate the tesseract in order to send meaningful messages to the past, where the bulk beings can't, despite trying, as established by Doyle (Wes Bentley, dead idiot on water planet), because they have no love connections with the past.

So, yea, in interstellar, love is literally a fundamental force of the universe.
>>
>>66736245
IT WAS SUPPOSED BE TERRIBLE BECAUSE IT WAS SETUP FOR LATER WHEN BRAND PROVEN RITE
____N
BRAVO
____L
____A
____N
>>
The movie is sensational and emotional, but if you apply logic and reason it falls apart quickly.

This movie is not as clever as the prestige but is one of the most tearjerking fistclenching movies since Schindler's list or gladiator.

Also the idea of family and love and loss and saving mankind is something that appeals to more mature audiences-no offense-but I urge you to shelve this movie for a couple of years and come back to it once you've lost someone special.
>>
>>66736827
what's wrong with gladiator
>>
>>66736827
>tearjerking fistclenching
this.

There is a scene after Matt Damon was saved there was a music score in the background giving you a sense that something bad is going happen. I remember in the theater i felt physically sick, like about to vomit because i am anticipating it and it wont come.

Also the daughter father thing hit me in the feels. Not because i can relate, but i question if i will ever have a daughter to have a relationship like that.
>>
>>66736897
It's ass
>>
>>66736487
And that's true, it is! Humanity doesn't work without the fundamental aspect of emotion.

Cooper's the one who override's Brand's choice of planetwith beep-boop logic, and that's what turns out to be wrong.
>>
>>66730246
>I really can't think of anything negative to say about this one without just being cynical
Clearly you are not a film critic, then.
The script itself is just one large negative.
>>
>>66736528
>ANVLAN
ok
>>
>>66736827
>but if you apply logic and reason it falls apart quickly.
Every time someone tries to point out something like this it's just because they aren't getting it.
>>
File: the-prestige.14577.jpg (177 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
the-prestige.14577.jpg
177 KB, 1000x1500
I still think the prestige is the best nolan film, but interstellar is definitely a fucking experience.
>>
>>66730246
please someone explain to me. who planted that wormhole? if i understood it right, humans from way in the future planted it. But how would the humans have planted if we didnt have the technology in our time to save humanity in the first place?..please someone enlighten me.
>>
Pretty good depiction of time in a non-linear format. That last 10 mins with the older daughter was whack though. Just lazily tying up loose ends.
>>
>>66739430
future human race evolved to 5D beings, but for some reason, they had to save us.
that's how.
>>
>>66730246
I saw it just yesterday and thought it was a piece of shit.

The writing was just so corny and melodramatic at times, it was hard to take seriously.
>>
>>66739430
It's kind of a rather large plot hole in the movie. They never explain how it could of happened in the movie, the only reasonable explanation (that the viewer is forced to come up with on his own, which clearly makes it non canon) is that somehow humanity survived without leaving earth somehow, and go on to achieve this 5d shit and decided to save past them from being forced to struggle through that period?

I guess that kind of makes sense in a time loop sort of way that if you figured out a way to erase an extremely difficult period of humanities past, like a near extinction fucking level event where countless decades, perhaps centuries would have to take place in order to recover and move back to progress, you would want to go back in time and remove that period so humanity could continue to smoothly progress.

But who fucking knows, no explanation is given.
>>
>>66739460
yea i know that part...but i mean how in the hell did we even get to the point of evolving in another place if we didnt have the means to survive here on earth or the technology to create wormholes and travel to other galaxies. Do you get what im saying?
>>
>>66739569
ok, im glad im not the only one that sees the huge issue with that plot hole. thanks for confirming. thats what i thought and just needed to make sure i wasnt crazy
>>
>>66739574
aye i do, but the answer lies on heavy use of multi string theory and shit like that.
>>
>>66739641
fuck me man. so now we gotta include string theory into this shit. damn nolan....nah seriously, i think youre reaching for justification on a huge plot hole, and despite it, i still love this movie
>>
>>66739678
dude i don't give a fuck about nolan going full tard, i'm just saying what they said in the movie, it is what it is.
wanna answers? ask the bloke
>>
>>66739574
Literally because it already happened. That's how it works. Look it up.
>>
>>66739574
Literally the only explanation is that humanity survived some how without the wormhole and all this other shit, somehow a small percentage of humanity survived enough to eventually repopulate the earth and make humanity a space faring technologically advanced race capable of producing fucking worm holes in the past to improve the race as a whole.

But let's not give a reason in the fucking movie because shit and stuff.
>>
>>66739569

It's not a plothole, it's a pre-destination paradox.
>>
File: 1449343593851.png (901 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1449343593851.png
901 KB, 690x460
>anne hathaway
>jessica chastain

it's like they made this movie specifically for me not to watch it.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.