[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Blair Witch Project
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: BlairWitchVisual[1].jpg (93 KB, 1024x761) Image search: [Google]
BlairWitchVisual[1].jpg
93 KB, 1024x761
Seventeen years later and still no horror movie has surpassed this
>>
Was The VVitch a prequel?
>>
>>66690476
I don't think so
>>
>>66690420
agree senpai
>>
File: The_Orphanage_Banner_1_21_13.jpg (48 KB, 726x271) Image search: [Google]
The_Orphanage_Banner_1_21_13.jpg
48 KB, 726x271
Videogames made a huge step thanks to P.T. and a small one thanks to Amnesia: The Dark Descend.

I think directors and writers around the world don't know how to evoke fear in their viewers.

Real horror is subtle. You don't let violins shred and horns blow while the horror is unfolding.

As for good horror movies I'd say "The Orphanage", "Rec" and the taiwanese version of "Shutter" can hold a candle to BWP. I also remember "The Strangers" having a massive impact on me, but that might be also because my relationship with my ex died on the same night after watching it.

There are a lot of good low budget horror shorts out there, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fDzdDfviLI
>>
>>66691561
P.T. was terrible and pales in comparison the the first four SH games, even as a demo

stop pushing this meme. people will still keep playing the first four silent hill games 10 years from now and P.T. would be long forgotten
>>
IMO that movie is really overrated. Wasn't really scary just spooky at times. Is there something I missed? What's so great about it
>>
>>66690420
Cloverfield was a better found footage film
>>
Is it a meme to enjoy watching 3 chuklefucks argue for 2 hours over a map?
>>
>>66691561
That was pretty spooky but the jumpscare at the end was unnecessary I think.
>>
>>66691688
The concept in Cloverfield was good, too bad it kind of sucked
>>
>>66691642
I highly doubt it'll be forgotten - no matter how hard Konami is trying, even by erasing it from the PS4 game library.

It's ok for you to be passionate about the older Silent Hill games, but that doesn't make every other horror game a "meme" (you should google that word and learn its meaning). The problem with games like that is that the graphics are so outdated, that you're not as easily scared by what's happening on screen anymore. People were scared by the first "Alone in the Dark" games and nowadays they look ridiculous. P.T. came very close to photorealism and used very interesting techniques to spook the player. I especially liked the fact that if you get possessed you can hear additional footsteps accompanying your own. Scared the crap outta me.
>>
>>66691642
>P.T. was terrible and pales in comparison the the first four SH games, even as a demo
>stop pushing this meme. people will still keep playing the first four silent hill games 10 years from now and P.T. would be long forgotten
I understand being frustrated at the meme, but your first comment........really??? Comparing a demo to fully finished games? Can you tell me what demo did not pale in comparison to the previous fully finished games? If you actually have an answer, what was better, the demo or the finished game?

There are plenty of people that thought PT was very good. Try not to get hooked by memes.
>>
>>66690420
I still don't understand the ending
>>
>>66690420

Saw it again recently. It's 5/10 at best. Found footage has been done A LOT better than this, like Troll Hunter.
>>
I think Blair Witch's appeal lies in its approach to the genre.

It's a movie that breaks most rules that pervade modern horror films. No jumpscares: the editing is indebted to cinema vérité rather than hollywood. The dialogue is organic, realistic and even redundant at times. The pacing is glacial if compared to recent blockbusters. And, finally, what's in my opinion the soul of Blair Witch Project: it sets your imagination on fire. Not even once we see the witch. The movie doesn't try to scare you directly, but vicariously. We feel terrified because the protagonists are terrified.

This is also important because it's usually in the attempt to portray horrific creatures on the screen that most movies fall short: CGI simply doesn't work most of the times, and practical effects, while traditionally more effective, still put you into a suspension of disbelief. In the end, BWP's main constrain, it's budget, turned out to be one of its greatest strengths, because it compelled the directors into the right creative choices that make it such a great movie.
>>
but is this movie real?
>>
>>66692349
This guy is on the ball. Although sometimes you don't need practical effects nor CGI, humans can be very scary, ya know?
>>
File: aliens_cm_m3601-min.jpg (234 KB, 1000x1411) Image search: [Google]
aliens_cm_m3601-min.jpg
234 KB, 1000x1411
>>66692349
>This is also important because it's usually in the attempt to portray horrific creatures on the screen that most movies fall short: CGI simply doesn't work most of the times, and practical effects, while traditionally more effective, still put you into a suspension of disbelief.

Or even great creatures like the Xenomorph can be so whored out in a way that they're no longer scary. The Alien design used to legit scare me, but it was parodied so often it has lost any fear factor for me personally

BWP still hasn't lost its edge for me
>>
What about cannibal holocaust? That one fucking spooked me because of all the animal cruelty and to think that cannibals actually exist/existed and all that creepy killing, raping and eating happened.
>>
Paranormal Activity is such a dogshit series. Anyone that says its as good or even better than TBWP has their shit taste immediately disregarded for eternity.
>>
>>66691685
>Is there something I missed? What's so great about it
After all these years i've come to the conclusion that there are two kinds of people when it comes to these kinds of movies. The kind of people that appreciate the fear of the unknown and the kind that don't. A very good friend of mine asked me what I thought of bwp and I told him I thought it was good, great atmosphere, pretty scary. He strongly disagrees with that -
>it's an hour and a half of NOTHING HAPPENING!
>when things finally happen, NOTHING HAPPENS!

I ask him for an example of a good horror movie and he says alien
>imagine being those people, basically long distance dump truck drivers
>wake up, and everything seems to be going ok
>suddenly chaos, a true monster killing your friends
>no where to run, no idea what to do
>everyone around you being killed, topped off with who you thought to be an ally is actually your enemy!

He was red in the face and sweating when he said that lol

We start in about paranormal activity
>him: OH, don't even get me started another hour and a half of NOTHING HAPPENS!
>me: really? You didn't find anything good at all?
>him: NO! These kinds of movies are shitting on the horror genre! These writers and directors are geniuses because they're making your brain fill in the blanks THAT THEY COULDN'T!!
>me: I think they're catering to people that fear the unknown
>him: No, that's what they want you to think!

We agree to disagree, our personalities are different, he's more afraid of the visible antagonist, i'm more afraid of the invisible antagonist.

When talking about bwp, this is what I start to see: people that don't like bwp tend to prefer a horror movie with a visible antagonist, people that like bwp tend to like to prefer a horror movie with an invisible antagonist.
>>
>>66690476
Why does everyone spell it like that?
>>
File: 1456455466271.gif (459 KB, 500x409) Image search: [Google]
1456455466271.gif
459 KB, 500x409
>>66692595
I cant see that one complete for ethical reasons like the real animal killings (wtf even a turtle) but i heard good things

>>66692663
the first one with the original ending is still pretty solid
>>
>>66692349
10/10

>>66692406
Yes, it is a real movie that you can watch

>>66692476
I completely agree, let's hope the next alien film is straight up horror. Let the prometheus sequlogy do the sci-fi end. The alien franchise can be great again, they just need to go for more horror than anything imo.
>>
>>66692869
I thought that big white guy in Prometheus was the step in the right direction. More weird alien designs pls
>>
>>66692719
this entire post is fucking autism
>>
>>66692719
Paranormal Activity is shit doe senpai, never liked it

Ending is GHOSTS BOO SPOOKY shit
>>
BWP fucking sucked.
>>
>>66692719
>people that like bwp tend to like to prefer a horror movie with an invisible antagonist.
I personally like that the horror movie with an invisible antagonist can have a bigger effect on you psychologically.
>>
But signs exists
>>
>this post is Millenial jump scare movies....... go watch something in the 90's or before

ps. horror genre sucks and is for major plebs and pre-teens
>>
>>66693062
Lol, I appreciate that but it's a combination of various things

>>66693098
What horror movies aren't shit in your opinion?

>>66693187
I'm with you
>>
>>66690420
it wasn't good, it wasn't scary, it was bad. i laughed.
>>
>>66690420
Its only strength was its gimmick

Granted it was the first of its kind and it spawned its own subgenre but still there was not much there in hindsight
>>
>>66691561
>Amnesia
>haunted house simulator complete with cheap jump scares and dumb AI.
Yeah, lay off the meme gaming and play Silent Hill 1-4, Fatal Frame or Forbidden Siren. Japs have made an art of crafting horror.
Blair Witch's found footage schlock is only relevant because they can be created cheaply and quickly with literally "who?" actors.
>>
>>66693830
Exactly.
Blair Witch's marketing was it's greatest strength. It was presented as if the events actually happened, fooling many into thinking they were going to see some snuff flick.
>>
>>66692719
AUTISM SPEAKS
>>
>>66692349
Stop speaking sensibly and informatively and start doing memes
>>
The only good part of blair witch is the end when they're in the house.
>>
90 percent of the Blair Witch Project was I'm lost in the woods and mad, so I'm going to complain.
>>
Go to the woods
Get a little for one day
Mental collapse ensues in a matter of hours

Apart from that it was quite good even despite the fact nothing happens
>>
It's just different ends of the spectrum. On one end, you'll find massive, unstoppable, horrifying monsters and on the other end you have psychological "suspense". There's a big difference, I think.

Monsters scare the shit out of me and might keep me up at night, but thrillers where the "antagonist" is psychological or people do not scare me whatsoever, though I still find them engaging, in that I want to know what happens next. THey're just not scary. I could watch all the Halloween movies, The Shining, ect without so much as a bump on my skin. Put me infront of Pumpkinhead, though? I'll freak the fuck out.
>>
>>66690420
thats the most bland, boring piece of shit movie ive ever seen. if you liked it, theres a good chance you might actually be retarded
>>
A physical representation of something scary is never as frightening as what most people can imagine for themselves.

I like horror where the protagonists never actually understand whats opposing them. I prefer the mystery of the unknown to being explained exactly what I'm suppose to be afraid of. I like antagonists to be completely unbeatable, even impossible to fight against. Like... IT from Stephen King without the asinine silver bullets nonsense.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.