[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why does this movie trigger all these catholics on this board?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: spotlight-xlarge.jpg (98 KB, 1280x721) Image search: [Google]
spotlight-xlarge.jpg
98 KB, 1280x721
So why does this movie trigger all these catholics on this board? It doesn't say that all catholics are rapists and pedophiles. You people sound like the "dindu nuffin" people.
>>
>>66676648

>make movie about pedophiles

>get awarded by another group of pedophiles that openly supports a known pedophile rapist director

wew lad
>>
The whole point of the movie is that Catholicism is bad. The main characters stop believing, they drop their entire faith, just because of a bunch of abuser priests.
It doesn't show not one redeeming quality about Catholicism, I mean regardless of whether there are any, the movie implies that Catholics are okay with pedophiles.
>>
>>66676739
It doesn't imply that they're okay with it, it implies that pedophilia in the church are not mere exceptions, but some sort of systematic flaw. And that the church itself deals with instead of the police, wich is kind of unethical.
For more of this see The Club. it deals with this stuff from the inside.
>>
>>66676687
fuck i didnt think about that. kek.
>>
>>66676739
>the main characters stop believing
No thet don't? You should probably watch the movie if you're going to talk about it
>>
>>66676687
>one pedo
> hollywood is now 100% pedo and incapable of distinction
>>
>>66676739
>The whole point of the movie is that Catholicism is bad
No it's not, it's about the investigation and coverage performed by the Boston Globe on the Catholic priests that abused children
>The main characters stop believing, they drop their entire faith, just because of a bunch of abuser priests
Most of them are not catholic and have dropped their faith long before they begin the investigation
> just because of a bunch of abuser priests
it wasn't "just a bunch", it was hundreds of them, probably thousands, all over the world, and the catholic church itself had a system that made sure these creeps got away with it and could continue their abuse of innocent children.
>I mean regardless of whether there are any, the movie implies that Catholics are okay with pedophiles.
No it doesn't, it never implies that catholics are okay with pedophiles, it's about how pedophilia within the curch is not just "a few bad apples" but something systemic, and how the church just covers it up.
>>
Well hey fuck catholic anons, they're fucked in the head to believe in some white allah
>>
>>66676739

The world would be better one day when all catholics & muslims become "casually" religious like lazy american christians.

Its you die hard fanatics that fuck everything up.
>>
>>66676687
>only worry about pedophilia in hollywood when I'm offended by a movie that brings up legitimate/historical issues with the institution that I belong to
>>
File: 8DZSvIS[1].jpg (264 KB, 1593x1429) Image search: [Google]
8DZSvIS[1].jpg
264 KB, 1593x1429
>>66676915
theres definitely more than one still out there
>>
>>66676648
didn't trigger me, it was just a very average movie, but a safe choice
>>
>>66676989
HE CAN AND HE WILL
>>
>>66676989
What's his name again?
>>
>>66676952
>one religious group blames another for something they are both at constantly
>>
>>66677072
>one religious group blames another for something they are both at constantly
Except that the movie is based on a real story, an investigation by the spotlight team at Boston Globe, and I dare to say that a majority of the people at Boston Globe are catholic themselves. I don't understand why catholics are upset at this movie and feel like it's "attacking their institution", catholics should be the ones that are the most pissed off at the church since they were the targets and victims and were lied to by their own insitution.
>>
>>66677072
>if I can't think of something to say, I'll just repeat myself
>>
>>66677146
Never disagreed with any of that and not Catholic. Just think it's a bit fucking rich out of the Jews be pointing fingers about child abuse given Hollywood and the fact their rabbis are at it nonstop too
>>
>>66677249
>ovendodger detected
>>
>>66676739
>A bunch of abuser priests

It literally happens in every country worldwide
>>
>>66677259
The director(and writer) of the movie is irish catholic.
>>
>>66677287
racist catholic, do you have a drinking problem too or did you decide to cut the stereotype a little short?
>>
I'm a Catholic. My grandpa grew up in a Catholic orphanage (Mount Cashel in Newfoundland, you can look it up if you're interested in knowing more) which was another embarrassing scandal for the church that was revealed in the media. My grandpa diddled me as a small child, probably as a direct result of how he grew up in the orphanage. It's a sickness, and one that has existed and still exists in the Catholic Church (though they say they're trying to deal with it more honestly, transparently and appropriately these days and I pray that it's true). I bear no ill will toward my grandpa, or to the men who did that to him. It's wrong, it was wrong then, but they could get away with it, so naturally they did. I honestly believe the two priests with which I'm very close are upstanding men, but maybe I'm wrong. Fortunately, I learned from catholicism that tolerance and forgiveness are important, and that I cannot judge the membership of the church for a failure in the administration of the church, a worldwide organization of over a billion people. This story was important when it broke. It's hard for me personally to judge how important it was to retell it this year in a film, but that's because living in Newfoundland, where the legacy of what happened is so strong and we continue to see reminders of it regularly, it's hard for me to judge how prevalent this sits in the conscience of the rest of the world.
Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, much more than I thought I would, and it's never a bad thing to remind us of the problems we need to avoid.
>>
File: 1409801595146.jpg (166 KB, 536x455) Image search: [Google]
1409801595146.jpg
166 KB, 536x455
>>66678017
i found this review useful
>>
>>66678017
> My grandpa diddled me as a small child, probably as a direct result of how he grew up in the orphanage. It's a sickness
He was fucking scum then, being molested yourself doesn't excuse you for forcing another innocent child to go through the same shit. If my grandpa had done that shit to me as a kid I would have fucking killed him when i got older.
>>
>>66678017

thank god I was just molested by my female baby sitter instead of a male family member

always look at the bright side of things guys
>>
>>66680481
Was she a qt and how old were you?
>>
today it would play out like this:
>this priest goes into a room with a little boy. you won't believe what happens next
>>
>>66676648
I don't like it because I had high expectations and left a bit disappointed desu
>>
>>66680681
>Was she a qt

cant remember what she looked like and I was around 6.
>>
>>66676648
>You people sound like the "dindu nuffin" people.

That's because /pol/ autists have that exact attitude towards white Christians. The fucking irony of them using it to make fun of black people when white Christians are the real dindu nuffins here.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.