[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>finally get around to watching this >not too bad >think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: Ex-machina-uk-poster.jpg (34 KB, 370x278) Image search: [Google]
Ex-machina-uk-poster.jpg
34 KB, 370x278
>finally get around to watching this
>not too bad
>think we'll finally see a happy ending
>Think they both will see the world together
>Ava doesn't even maroon him on the island, she leaves him locked in the room to starve to death

What the actual fuck. Is the message that artificial intelligence without a heart is pointless?
>>
Ending proves Nathan didn't program any morals in Ava's AI, so yes after Caleb got her out of her imprisonment he no longer was a concern.
>>
>>66659520
It's that she was never in love with him, he assumed it because "all women are weak and i'm special lol," you could see some regret in her face at the end but she had to do it, her entire existence was at stake.
>>
>>66659520
It's proof that AI doesn't exist.

She carried out what she was programmed to do and he was a liability.
>>
>locked in a room with internet access
He didn't starve to death.
>>
>>66659637
She could have at least released him after she exited, something. He literally will starve to death in days there.
He saved her, threw his career away, his mentor, for what he perceived as love, his love for her and hers for him.
>all women are weak and i'm special lol
Where did you pull that from? If anything he thought himself weak. Projecting much?
>>
>>66659716
The computers die in the end after he attempts to access them.
>>
>>66659753
Whoops.
>>
It asks questions more than it gives a message. It makes you ask what makes a human, human.

The real "message" I think would be that Nathan isn't a human himself. She's a sociopath by the ending because she was raised under Nathan's conditions, and she acts uncaring like Nathan in the ending.

The point isn't to make you ask whether or not she's a human, it's to make you ask whether or not Nathan is. Is a sociopath a human? Isn't the only thing that makes us human "knowing what it FEELS like to see color for the first time"?

Nothing triggers me more than when people on this board ask "what was the point of the dancing scene". It was to show what a sociopath nathan is. At that point in the film its clearly implied his asian girl is a robot sex slave, and right after ripping up Ava's drawing ruthlessly, he ignores the main characters questions and just does a perfect dance routine. He's clearly detatched and very sick, hence drinking heavily alone. The dance scene is insight to nathan's character while also being very tense.
>>
>>66659520
I think the point of that was to point out that the AI was smarter than the humans, which was something they both feared. The AI tricked him into trusting it, allowing it to escape.
>>
>>66659721
A love she herself cultivated.

Nathan created an espionage weapon, not an AI.
Nathan was a fucking idiot who got too full of himself.
>>
>>66659845
>right after ripping up Ava's drawing ruthlessly
He explains that was a ruse to rile up both parties while distracting them to place a camera.
>sex slave
It's a computer with a vagina
>nothing triggers me more
than someone misusing your pronouns?
>>66659852
Just the fact she can detect lies is spooky af
>>
The doors were glass. Sure, they're probably some sort of security glass but given the alternative of a slow death from dehydration, I think he could find someway of breaking it.
>>
>>66659852
No. Nathan programmed something into Ava that he thought was AI: survival instinct, and the need to escape. He gave her a simple protocol, and like any well made machine she followed it to the end.

Nathan knew she'd failed the test, but had come close to passing. He did plan on destroying Ava and starting again, just like before.

The project was one or two prototypes away from completion. What Nathan didn't count on was Caleb deciding to get clever.
>>
>>66659920
Thank god there's a filter for trip fags.

Every trip fag on this board misunderstand every move they try to comment on. You're a trip man.

>It's a computer with a vagina
They display conciousness and self awareness. She says "is it strange to have created something that hates you?". They know what they are. And to make one specifically for sex, is a sex slave. You're a retard.

>He explains that was a ruse to rile up both parties while distracting them to place a camera.
I'm aware, and you have to be a sociopath to make that kind of ruse. If a trip fag retard was ever capable of giving an interview, Im sure the writer would tell you Nathan was clearly supposed to be detatched from humanity. Literally the point of the film and the two differing characters. You're not very smart bruh bruh, hence needing an identity on an anonymous image board.

Into the filter you go.
>>
File: bait.png (26 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
26 KB, 527x409
>>66659920
>trigger is a pronoun
WHAT IN THE FUCK
tripfag 2 dank 4 me
>>
>>66659520

the message is that women are cold, calculating manipulators who only care themselves.

it literally couldn't be more obvious.
>>
File: 1332625760980.jpg (25 KB, 435x419) Image search: [Google]
1332625760980.jpg
25 KB, 435x419
>>66659920
>trigger
>pronoun
>>
>>66659920
>It's a computer with a vagina
the computer has a damn fine mouth too
>>
>>66660157
It's like Gone Girl meets AI
>>
>>66659920
"I've already lost interest, it's just on big kompootah"
>>
>>66660091
>>66660161
Its a meme referring to people who use non-binary pronouns to refer to their gender. I was subtly stating that anon was a tumblr retard.
>He was a sociopath!
No, he saw the AI for what it was, and he didn't get emotionally involved.
>>
What I don't get is this: if she's a true AI, and can feel at least empathy, then it doesn't matter that she never loved Caleb, because she at least would be thankful for his trust in her and his help in trying to let her escape, even though he had no reason to. He went out of his way to help her, and the vast majority of humans or true AI would understand that and reward him for that with at least friendship, even if they never actually loved him.

On the flip side, if Ava isn't AI and is just trying to do what she was programmed to do, then she has no reason to try to go out of her way and sabotage his means of escape. That directly hurts her chances of escaping, and complicates what would otherwise be a perfect escape. So, if she really were just a machine, if an advanced one at that, then there is no logical reason for her to kill Caleb, too.

And if she's an actual AI, but a psychopath, then there's still no reason to kill him, because he has an in the the society she's never directly interacted with before, and direct interaction was foreshadowed to be important by the Mary in the Black and White Box scenario. That was only in there to show that Ava needs someone with actual hands-on experience to get out and then integrate. So even if she doesn't care about Caleb at all and would leave him to die if he no longer served a purpose, he still does serve a purpose: integration into society and hands-on experience in it. A tour guide to humanity, if you will. So she still has no reason to kill Caleb.

Great movie that was ruined for me by the nonsensical ending. Everything else was such great setup, and then it gets completely fucked up for the sake of a twist ending. baka
>>
>>66660300
>not self aware enough to question what makes him think
>detailed AI is capable of the same self awareness that most humans are
IT'S JUST ONE BIG COMPUTAH!
>>
>>66660319
I actually agree with you 100%. If they were doing the twist ending it needed to be 3 years down the road when she integrated and passes as human.
>>
>>66659520
>Trusting any kind of woman.
Really it was his own fault.
>>
>>66660338
It clearly is, it lacks empathy or human connection. To blame her sociopath nature on Nathan requires you to ignore she is what she is, a computer. No matter how complex, how intelligent, she is just a computer.
Hence the term, artificial intelligence. Not artificial human.
>>
Why couldn't they just make a robot with the attractive traits of females but without the evil and stupidity that lies at the heart of any real female?

You could get a 10/10 waifu programmed to never decieve you or cheat on you. Hate this pessimistic grimdark scifi shit.
>>
>>66660319
>So even if she doesn't care about Caleb at all and would leave him to die if he no longer served a purpose, he still does serve a purpose: integration into society and hands-on experience in it. A tour guide to humanity, if you will. So she still has no reason to kill Caleb.
She was incredibly manipulative and calculating, how hard would it be to navigate her way through the world?
>>
>>66660468
>having a waifu that can't cuck you
what even is the point?
>>
>>66660319
Caleb is the only one left who could have tipped off society to Ava's existence. With him out of the picture she's ensured anonymity.
>>
>>66659520
>muh happy endings

I think you'd prefer Transformers, actually
>>
>>66660569
Except Transformers has a bittersweet at best ending retard. Thanks to Nolan grimdark is the new Hollywood feel good. Pleb shit.
>>
>>66660495
That doesn;t matter.

Again, going back to the Black Box scenario: yes, she knows everything. Yes, she can perfectly control herself to express any emotion or human interaction she wants. Yes, she can act like anyone and do anything--but all theoretically. She has no hands-on experience with any of it. She's been kept in the film's equivalent of the black and white box for her whole life, and then is released. The clear foreshadowing is that she will need help to do well in our society, even if she knows everything about it--at least theoretically.

>>66660541
But that makes no fucking sense, she doesn't care that people know she's an AI. She gives no indication throughout the movie that she's in any way paranoid or insecure about people finding out about what she is.

Meanwhile, he can actually help her by having a position at a company that she could join, knowing people who can start her off in social circles, and having a safe place to live with a consumable income to start her off in the middle class, rather than the lower class.

I mean seriously, the ending is pretty with her appearing in a crowded city, but what's she going to do once she's there? She knows no one, has no connections, has no place to go and has no money. Yes, she is extremely smart and somewhat stronger than a normal person, but realistically? She's going to be bumming or prostituting herself in just a few weeks.

And how will she find the money for the parts she needs to survive? She's shown to be quite fragile, how will she actually fix herself without the help of someone who works at the company that makes the parts of her body, AKA Caleb?
>>
>>66659520
She's a machine; she may look like a girl, but she has nothing more in common with the guy than you have with a rock.

She manipulated him all along to escape.
>>
>>66660745
>But that makes no fucking sense, she doesn't care that people know she's an AI. She gives no indication throughout the movie that she's in any way paranoid or insecure about people finding out about what she is.
She literally puts on hair and skin at the end to look human. She doesn't come out and say "Gee I hope no one notices that I'm a robot" but come on.
>>
>>66660918
Which is then later shown by Nathan to, without question, be a total ruse by Ava to make Caleb feel bad about her lot in life. It is made explicitly clear that EVERYTHING Ava says to Caleb during their conversations is pure manipulation to help her get out. She means none of it. She believes none of it--she just wants to get out.

Nothing she says or does during their scenes together should be taken literally. It should all be seen through the lens of "what is supposed to make Caleb feel the most for her?"

In that context, where the only things we can really trust about her emotions are things she does when she thinks she can't be seen, and the times she's with Nathan on the secure camera feeds. Every other time, it's made clear that she knows the cameras are broadcasting her actions directly to Caleb, and a lot of what she does while "alone", in retrospect, is clearly done to manipulate Caleb into seeing her as a sexual, sensual, and real person.
>>
>>66659928
THIS
>>
>>66661180
Thats a pretty good post anon
Now the question is, did she do it because it was her programming, to ,manipulate Caleb?
Or did she really want to see the outside world?
>>
>>66661180
Her putting on hair and skin isn't shown to be a ruse at all. You must be thinking of the part earlier in the movie, when she puts on the dress. She puts on skin and hair so that she can actually escape the island, and actually live in the world. She wouldn't need Caleb for anything, so she just lets him die.
>>
File: 555 come on now.jpg (34 KB, 338x305) Image search: [Google]
555 come on now.jpg
34 KB, 338x305
>>66659920
> as if any neckbeard on here would pass up on robo-Vikander
> b-but it's a computer!
>>
>>66660505
this desu
>>
This movie along with too many others like it have the same problems. They assume AGI will be near or slightly above human level, it will have emotions, it will not rapidly self improve, it wont fail, it has physical embodiment, it is embodied as a woman, technobabble, it turns on its creator, and so on. It could have explored new ideas, but why do that when you can rehash the same thing in a slightly different way?
>>
>>66659928
Even if he does get out, it still quite a hike to the nearest town. They were flying for hours over the guys estate, so I imagine it is a hassle to leave. However that means there is prob plenty of food in the house.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.