[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The force awakens was okay thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10
File: staru waru.png (533 KB, 1360x570) Image search: [Google]
staru waru.png
533 KB, 1360x570
Cant we all agree that the force awakens was merely just an okay film, serviceable at best, but played it safe soo the next ones can take the real risks
>>
yes we can agree on that
>>
>>66638075
It's decent entertainment for what it was

It wasn't some great movie, not was it a terrible one. It's a decent blockbuster that pleasantly killed 2 hours
>>
>>66638075
It had the best girl
>>
>>66638075
It had the plot you would expect from a B tiered made for TY movie, compared to its Box Office takings, it is awful.

Jar Jar sacrificed story continuity for a social agenda.
>>
No.
>>
its quite it didnt really make a huge impact, but hopefully when a more artistic director helms the next one well get something more deep
>>
>>66638269
why does money have anything to do with its quality?
>>
>>66638345
You would expect one of the highest grossing films of all time to have one of the greatest story continuity's, but it didn't.

It relied on franchise and #BoycottStarWars
>>
>>66638075
I agree with you. You seem like a nice guy. Maybe we can be friends?
>>
>>66638413
TFA could have been a phantom menace 2 and it still would have made 2 billion.
>>
The next film will mimick TESB.
>Phasma hunting Finn for Kylo Ren.
>Lando's daughter
>someone says, "No! I am your father!" and it's not Luke as expected.
>cliffhanger ending
>>
>>66638488
Lando needs to make an appearance in the upcoming movies, otherwise i will be mad.
>>
Every scene that wasn't a ripoff of IV was pretty fantastic, but the scenes that were were just boring.

Any time kylo ren was on screen was awesome because it actually felt new
>>
>>66638075
>but played it safe soo the next ones can take the real risks

uhhhhh like Boyega actually being Bogaye

If you think they will take any risks with these movies then you're out of your fucking mind.
>>
File: 1488.jpg (5 KB, 300x56) Image search: [Google]
1488.jpg
5 KB, 300x56
>>66638488
no, not The Greatest Original Trilogy Hits Part Deux.
Rian Johnson should get creative.
And fuck Rey being Luke's daughter.
>>
File: maxvonsydowDUNE.jpg (40 KB, 720x307) Image search: [Google]
maxvonsydowDUNE.jpg
40 KB, 720x307
>>66638575
>ripoff of IV
The first 30 minutes invoked Dune, even the Special Forces Tie fighter was swallowed by a Sandworm.
>>
>>66638075
I cannot agree with that, no.
It was a horrible film that was only serviceable if we're talking about fan service.

Objectively worse than RoTS.
>>
>>66638575
except the canteena scene stood on it's own
>>
>>66638597
>And fuck Rey being Luke's daughter.
As much as I find it annoying, its gonna happen.
>>
File: paul.jpg (35 KB, 1011x427) Image search: [Google]
paul.jpg
35 KB, 1011x427
>>66638614
Poe was stylized on Kyle Machlachanllanachlan
>>
>>66638672
I hated the cantina scene. Only because at that point I was already kinda frustrated at how similar so much stuff was, so when the scene came on I immediately thought to myself, "Really? This again?"
>>
>>66638413
yeah not when furious 7, jurassic world and avatar are highest grossing films of all time as well, the force awakens was a 6/10 and all you /tv/ faggots cant fanthom something just being alright, you need to hate or love things soo that other people get mad at you lol its pretty predictable
>>
>>66638737
i feel you but for me it was one of the only scenes that i soon forgot that it was a carbon copy and got caught up with what was going on with that weird orange chick and all the other interesting aliens in the bar
>>
File: 1455450731773.webm (627 KB, 720x304) Image search: [Google]
1455450731773.webm
627 KB, 720x304
>>66638575
>Every scene that wasn't a ripoff of IV was pretty fantastic
every scene on Jakku were fantastic
>>
>>66638787
Classic contrarian response.
>>
>>66638075
It was mediocre at best. Worst thing was that it was audio-visually a let down, so you felt like you wasted your money in seeing it 3D in a theater instead of downloading a torrent of it. And apart from audio and visuals, star wars movies have never had anything else on them.
>>
>>66638075
>but played it safe soo the next ones can take the real risks

literally the "the adventure has to start somewhere" of our generation.

Taking risks in the first film would've at least given it a chance, and has no bearing in quality of the second film.
>>
File: MarySue.gif (1 MB, 294x389) Image search: [Google]
MarySue.gif
1 MB, 294x389
>>66638776
ITS STORY CONTINUITY DID NOT MAKE SENSE !

Rey being raped by Luke's lightsaber was dumb also, then have force rape babies near the end was cringey
>>
>>66638842
>can't argue back, i know, i'll call him a contrarian, that's a good trick!
>>
>>66638075
It was just ok, but nothing to get hyped for really, if it got sales it was because of the name and people didnt knew what to expect, wont be surprising if the next movie gets less revenue
>>
>>66638843
>watching 3D ever
That's your problem senpai
>>
The flick is a classic example of death by focus group. Every element feels so obviously contrived and tailored to appeal to as many demographics as possible, and in the end you get a very polish, very shiny film which ultimately lacks any character or soul.

If you feel like saying
>b-but the poe finn bromance was cool

then congrats, the part that was designed to appealed to you was successful.
>>
File: reype.jpg (41 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
reype.jpg
41 KB, 1280x720
>>66638887
yeah, the rape scenes were a little over the top
>>
>>66638850
it wasnt the first film though, it was the seventh, yeah they had to introduce new character, but this movie was gonna make 2 billion no matter what it did, it just feels like j.j. just kinda held back and did the bare minimum to make people happy and then left it up to other people to fix what he started
>>
>>66638843
it felt like wasting money seeing it in 3D because you wasted your money seeing it in 3D.
>>
>>66638942
The real horror is that this 'success' literally comes from a handful of stock phrases. The fact that this worked is fucking terrifying.
>>
>>66638678
She is Han & Leia's kid
Screencap this
I'll eat a bug if not
>>
>>66638967
Wasn't this about penetration to be quite honest familia?
>>
>>66638942
I was with you until the end
>>
>>66639009
If she was Kylo's twin it would at least go some way into rationalising her instant sharing of his force abilities.
And maybe Leia's instant attachment.
How Leia would keep a twin secret is hard to imagine though.
>>
>>66639097
>I was with u until u called me out as well I'm too smart to be taken in by hollywoods tricks
>>
>>66639113
Maybe it was Luke who hid Rey from everyone
>>
>>66639145
>Enjoying part of a movie
>being taken in by a trick

humm.... Something doesn't add up here... if I enjoyed it, how was I tricked?
>>
I think we can all agree on that.
>>
>>66639145
i agree that the movie was trying to please too many people. it truly felt like a focus group that wanted to please every minority and every star wars fan.

But reducing the one emotional relationship in the movie to being the product of a focus group doesn't give enough credit to the director, and sets a precedent to nullify any emotional relationship in cinema.

But you're clearly baiting me so i'll stop here before i get worked up.
>>
>>66639152
Yeah that would be the way I would do it. Maybe he knows Kylo will go bad, a prophecy or something, and somehow took Rey away at birth.
There are a lot of hoops to jump through but you never know.
>>
>>66638075
The stuff that didn't feel ripped off the old movies, like the monsters eating the space mobsters was fun.
>>
>>66639277
>I agree with ur premise except when its about rhe bit I like but this is totally not special pleading
>>
>>66639009
>ohh our son has been taken away by a Dark force user because of his great potential. Let's have another force baby despite the risks.

Would be the worst parents ever desu

>>66639113
>>66639152
>>66639300
>twins
>Rey is 19
>Kylo is 30
>>
>>66639423
Are their ages ever stated in the movie?
>>
That will be 'no' then.
>>
>>66638075
I personally enjoyed it. Time will tell if it was a genuinely good film. It was definitely not without flaws.
>>
>implying she's not the last Kenobi
>>
>>66639747
Why would time tell?
In what way does the passage of time improve a movie?
>>
File: 1456750923102.jpg (25 KB, 552x594) Image search: [Google]
1456750923102.jpg
25 KB, 552x594
>>66639777
trips don't lie
>>
>>66639814
dust
>>
I don't mind sequels being the same story over again if it's done reasonably well. TFA doesn't feel like that, everything feels a little bit tarnished and muddled by modern popcorn movie sensibilities. Most of the bigger actions scenes in particular stood out as all being rather messy and lacking focus. It's like they're all trying to be the end of the Avengers, where you get a bunch of scenes of superheroes fighting aliens but never any sense of the larger battle. The first order and resistance on the forest planet, the Rathtar sequence, the final dogfight on Starkiller; they all just came across as scenes of loud chaotic violence stitched together and little else.
>>
>>66639814
because then people will forget all the hype it had and be able to watch it more face value and judge it without hypage goggles
>>
>>66639814
You are kidding, right? You know how many films were rated well and sold well and have disappeared into nothing? You know how many got shit ratings and sold nothing but are now bona fide classics?

If something is still loved ten, twenty years down the line, its a sign that it is great. I'm not saying this as a judge of the quality of the thing itself- more an observation as to how time and quality are consciously entwined.
>>
>>66639937
I agree. And they'll admit it's rehashed shit.
>>
In the opening scene we see a squad stormtoopers preparing to land and battle, a perspective we haven't had yet in a Star Wars movie. The character FN-2187 or Finn is also fairly well made, and finely acted. Its the first single stormtrooper that is explored, if you don't count Clonetrooper Boba Fett and his father Jango Fett. Whether or not you think this addition of Finn is folly it fits into the Star Wars saga nicely. Imperial Officers have been a staple and for once we are introduced to a stormtrooper, the best way to tell that in a story is how it is played out with Finn.
As far as continuing the story after Return of the Jedi and still feeling like time has past, you have to do a lot of things. We all know this is Luke Skywalker's story. And even though he wasn't in Episode VII as much as we wanted he was essential still to the story. Leia and others are actively searching for Luke as his whereabouts are unknown, that's the first thing that we are made aware of. Not including Luke allows you to establish the new direction you need to have to insert new characters and move forward. You can't just have all this random stuff going on and include Luke as a character or side character and expect it to be good. And combining both and including Luke immediately in the Force Awakens would also be bad. Luke would take all the focus in every scene he is in because he and his father are the most important Star Wars characters. By somewhat developing Rey, Finn, Kylo and Poe, as well as continuing the story of Han and Leia and then bringing in Luke will only make their character arcs in the next episodes stronger.
The first order is a logical step for the empire, they built a second Death Star(America rebuilt WTC 1), just because the emperor died doesn't mean they still wouldn't try to build a third and try to rule over star systems. The portrayal of the first order, simply felt just like Star Wars.
>>
Other aspects JJ nailed were Kylo, Chewy and Han, all which needed to be executed well. This isn't debatable, they were great.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1590x1729) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1590x1729
Great movie. It BTFO /tv/ so /tv/ will be too salty to admit it's good and we'll latch on to the theory of Jewish conspiracy and keep crying about how the prequels were underrated gems before we admit it's good.
>>
>>66638575
Yeah i like thé nazi scène that was ...shit
Otherwise thé film is OK but it souldn't just be ok it sould have been more like original then yes i would be ok with it
>>
>>66640508
I pretty much loved episode vii. But the contrarians on this board are the reason why Lucas didn't make his sequel trilogy.

(1999) The Phantom Menace
(2002) Attack of the Clones
(2005) Revenge of the With
(2009) Georges Episode VII
(2012) Georges Episode VIII
(2015) Georges Episode IX

And I did my part. I saw TPM 9 or 10 times in theaters and unironically liked Attack of the Clones as well. If people didn't hivemimd and bitch about the prequel we would have gotten another trilogy already.
>>
>>66638075
I WOULD have said it was an okay movie, however the starkiller base and it's subsequent destruction was just fucking terrible. Another death star more powerful then the first! Shit felt like a videogame final level.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.