[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I'll go as far as making an entire unit of policemen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5
File: the-wire.jpg?d=1024.jpg (92 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
the-wire.jpg?d=1024.jpg
92 KB, 1024x768
>I'll go as far as making an entire unit of policemen dedicated to investigating some irrelevant guy just because he took my stained glass window spot at the church

So uhh, The Wire is such a realistic show!
>>
I'm watching the 1st season of The Wire and I just got done watching the episode where DeAngelo teaches the younger kids chess. I was blown away! I had to watch it a couple times to really pick up on it, but did you guys realize that when he was teaching them about the chess pieces, he was really referring to THEM being the pawns! What an amazing metaphor!

It was so deep and meaningful, I am amazed by the deep symbolism of this.

Do the later seasons continue on with masterful symbolism like this? This was truly the pinnacle of storytelling that I have ever seen on a television show, and I think I can confidently say The Wire is the best show ever made without even having seen the entire series.

Also the acting is amazing. Idris Elba and Dominic West do a great job with their Baltimore accents.
>>
I'm watching the 1st season of The Wire and I just got done watching the episode where DeAngelo teaches the younger kids chess. I was blown away! I had to watch it a couple times to really pick up on it, but did you guys realize that when he was teaching them about the chess pieces, he was really referring to THEM being the pawns! What an amazing metaphor!

It was so deep and meaningful, I am amazed by the deep symbolism of this.

Do the later seasons continue on with masterful symbolism like this? This was truly the pinnacle of storytelling that I have ever seen on a television show, and I think I can confidently say The Wire is the best show ever made without even having seen the entire series.

Also the acting is amazing. Idris Elba and Dominic West do a great job with their Baltimore accents.
>>
>being this retarded
It was because they were old polaks fucking with eachother and valchek clearly new sobotka was in dirty shit considering the bodies turned up in the shipping container at the docks
>>
>start watching the show in 16:9
>find out it aired in 4:3 as the image was originally intended and composed for

fuck, now my autism won't allow me to continue watching it in 16:9

i'll use my media player to crop it to 4:3
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>66624300

Cause Stan Valchek is a cuck
>>
>>66624566
It wasmade 4:3 to give it a documentary feel if I remember right.
>>
>>66624620
>>66624566
Why was it shot in 16:9 if it was intended to be 4:3?

The show loses nothing by being in wide-screen.
>>
>>66624663
it was shot in 4:3 due to budgeting issues early on in the show, and this led to the rest of the show being shot in 4:3 for the sake of consistency. important to remember that the show started before shows were moving to HD formats and 16:9. they recently released a HD remastering of it that is in 16:9.
>>
>>66624566
>>66624905
How can I crop the picture in media player classic?
>>
>>66624957
right click on screen > video frame > override aspect ratio > [click on whichever format you desire]
>>
>>66624300
I stopped watching after season 1. I cant stand le hotshot detective
also when that black female police officer got shot, they over did it. I didnt care at all if she got shot or died.
No, not because im racist(calm down reddit) but they didnt develop her enough for me to care about her at all. I cared more about the black kid who got killed. He was taking care of his little bros and actually wanted to get out of the ghetto. I think the show is just outdated too. its 2016 come on!
>>
>>66624994
Yeah, but it's just going to squeeze the picture. What I want to do is add the black edges..
>>
>>66625009
Yeah, it's outdated as fuck. It's basically a 90s tv show that aired in the early 2000s. It has shitty aged concepts such as monster of the week and similar. And they also use the fucking pagers in the first season, lol?
>>
>>66625048
If you set it to a widescreen ratio the bars will appear.
>>
>>66625089
Doesn't work but fuck it, I'll watch in 16:9
>>
>>66625009
>>66625074
Season 1 is the only season that seems really dated, mainly because it's in the early 2000s before most people had cellphones and you're still transitioning from late '90s television conventions. The show at this point was also still acting as sort of a sequel to a '90s police procedural called 'Homicide: Life On The Streets', as both shows were adapted from a book by the same title. I also found Season 3 was kind of dated. Season 2, 4 and 5 are relatively timeless.
>>
>>66625245
>still transitioning from late '90s television conventions
Such as?

Just wondering. Idk if I should watch...
>>
>>66625300
It's probably the best show ever made so yes you should definitely watch. I'm not saying you'll necessarily agree with me on that but a lot of people who know quite a lot about television consistently say it's the best ever
>>
>complaining about pagers and the lack of cellphones

Did you even watch The Wire? Of course they all have cellphones, they just aren't allowed to use them, you morons.

Also, Omar is the GOAT character.
>>
>decided to give it a shot
>watch 3 seasons in a row
>it a shit

Kill me
>>
THIS IS ABOUT

FRANK

SOBOTKA
>>
>>66625300
There are a few things, but I think this scene from the show best summarizes what kind of stuff I'm getting at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59wofmAPVQc
>>
File: 1455963866975.jpg (15 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1455963866975.jpg
15 KB, 251x242
>in my office
>Now!
>>
literally liberal cuck white guilt: the show
>>
>>66625537
at least the first season had deep metaphors and symbolism mentioned here >>66624368

it's a shame hbo didn't want the show to be too complicated and they had to drop it

i liked the first scene the most 'this america' dialogue the most
>>
>>66625537
It's so weird watching that scene with the background music. There are a few times that happens in the first season, and it never happens in the rest of the show, except at the end of each season obviously
>>
It's overrated shit. There are better shows and thousands of better films.
>>
Someone post those perfect tits so I can have a late night fap. You know which ones I'm talking about.
>>
>>66625638
i literally think this show was made to appeal to sjw cucks, the way they talk bout this show and glorify the "black ghetto struggle" makes me cringe
>>
>>66625587
There is a bunch of symbolism throughout the rest of the show, it's just more subtle. Season 2 and 3 in particular.
>>
>>66625245
>unions
>timeless
kek
>>
>>66625851
If Wire fans think the symbolism in their show is subtle, I don't even want to know what they think of the biblical symbolism in Deadwood, the Dante's Inferno symbolism in Mad Men or the buddhist symbolism in The Sopranos.
>>
Honestly one of the worst shows ever made. The only reason people succ it like they do is that is was made by an old white dude
>>
>>66624300
>>I'll go as far as making an entire unit of policemen dedicated to investigating some irrelevant guy just because he took my stained glass window spot at the church
This.

Literally, how the fuck is it possible to be that fucking butthurt because of something so ridiculous and insignificant?
>>
>>66625705
>SJW
next person to say this acronym I find and kill

The Wire is hardly political at all. If you think of them as stupid ghetto niggers then the show can easily confirm your biases with the constant drug use, anti-intellectualism of most of the black students in season 4, etc. If you want to think of them as innocent bystanders in the war on drugs then the show can confirm those biases too. It's not about blaming people for how things got to be so shitty, it's about exploring how and why those things take place.
>>
>>66626040
There's a mix of on-the-nose and subtle symbolism in The Wire. It isn't overall as deeply entrenched as those other shows (particularly not Deadwood or The Sopranos), but it's in there.
>>
>>66625537
this is what they were going for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBmo_SkPFYI
>>
>>66626111

You people really have no fucking clue what that generation was like, do you? Such a coddled existence just a couple generations later.
>>
>>66626111
>>66624300
I don't understand why you guys think this wouldn't happen. That kind of corruption is very common in city police forces, and cops will investigate what their bosses tell them, no questions asked. And Valcheck was known to be an asshole Polack who hated the Docks and wanted to know where they got the cash to outbid him for the church window
>>
>>66626040
>buddhist symbolism in The Sopranos
making shit up now eh?
>>
WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE POST THE TITS
>>
>>66626321
/tv/ is sfw
>>
>>66626040

I didn't really like mad men, made it 5 episodes into it. I love the Wire though. Should I watch Sopranos or deadwood first?
>>
>>66626213
I just feel like it's a bit of a petty thing to get annoyed about.

Fucking church window.
>>
The Wire is basically a proto-SJW.

>nigger cops everywhere
>niggermans are lawmans
>all the white characters are either borderline retarded (Herc), crooked or complete assholes
>all the black characters are super intelligent, even the dumbest nignog knows how to play chess and the kids excel at math
>gay and lesbian characters everywhere
>black criminals are actually good deep down inside of them, while the white cops are evil
>>
>>66626461
confirmed for not having actually watched the show and probably parroting a bunch of shit spouted by other misinformed people. also if you think SJW shit started in the early 2000s you may be retarded.
>>
>>66626461
like it or not blacks are cops and lawyers
many of the most intelligent characters were white, including the Judge, McNulty, Sobotka, The Greek, Vondas, Rhonda, Beadie, etc.
There are plenty of retarded gangster niggers on the show are you even paying attention or just coming up with reasons to hate the show out of your ass?
There were 2 gay/lesbian characters in the main show and the only other gay characters were their love interests. There were roughly 60 characters of note on the show so this clearly isn;t "too many"
Avon had good in him? Marlo had good in him? Mayor Royce had good in him?

/poltv/ won't ruin this show for me no matter how hard you try
>>
File: 1407536391850.jpg (53 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
1407536391850.jpg
53 KB, 600x300
The Wire is a deep show. It is a show that makes you think.

It's a bit slow at times and unlike most shows, doesn't have a clearly punctuated point - at the end of episode, or season - so it may appear aimless or meandering at times. You have to figure it out for yourself. And that's what's so great about it. The creators don't want to spoonfeed you. Unlike the rest of the modern shows (I'm looking at you Breaking Bad), The Wire let's you look for answers and gives you plenty of space to connect all the dots. It's a lot of characters to keep track of, and probably too complex for most regular people to follow. There is a lot to read between the lines. And this is why many say The Wire has the most replay value ever.

At first glance, The Wire might seem like another show about drug-dealing but it covers more than just that: unions/working class people, politicians, schools, corruption, homeless people, newspapers, sex-trade, and many other complex subjects. Every episode is filled with depth and masterful symbolism.

Most importantly, it doesn't shove some pre-arranged agenda in your face - you have to do your own chewing and you get what you can get out of it. Different people can walk away with very different opinions of what the show is actually about, or what the show creators were trying to communicate. Acting is excellent too, and unlike most shows, most characters are three-dimensional, complex human beings.

While focusing (seemingly) on limited topics such as police procedurals and law/order items, it actually paints a "big picture" of humanity, or human condition. Why do people do what they do, what drives us, human beings, to do certain things and the complexities of the way our (flawed) society is built.
>>
>>66626577
>Sobotka
>intelligent

lol?
>>
>>66626577
Maybe not Avon but D'Angelo, Stringer, Clay Davis, Wallace and Bodie all had good in them.
>>
>>66626724
Clay Davis had good in him? How? He's probably the most morally bankrupt character on the show, except perhaps the Jew lawyer
>>
>>66626461
>A city that is 60-70% black, has a bunch of black cops? SJW!!

Moron.

>All the black characters are super geniuses, they all play chess! You know, despite the fact that there is one chess scene in the entire show and it's literally centered around one character teaching the others how to play because THEY DON'T KNOW HOW

Moron.

>all the white characters are either borderline retarded (Herc), crooked or complete assholes...so are the jews, polacks, blacks, etc; but I'll ignore that because it doesn't suit my argument.

Moron.

>black criminals are actually good deep down inside of them

You literally have not watched the show. This describes no one. Not a single character.
>>
>>66626724
stringer was not a good person by any stretch. he was arguably as bad as marlo, only with a different goal in mind. you could mistake his desire to curb the violence in the drug trade for altruism but he was only really trying to cover his ass and keep the police off his tail while he transitioned into legal ventures.
>>
>>66626724
>SHEEEEEEEEEEIT XD

such a great show!
>>
>>66626724
Bodie didn't have good in him. You're confusing positive traits like loyalty and bravery, as "good", but forgetting that these are traits he used exclusively for gangbanging and selling drugs. His loyalty and bravery didn't extend to protecting kids like Wallace.
>>
>>66626810
"""""""legal""""""""" ventures
>>
>>66626850
he had that construction company and was trying to get into the property market.
>>
>>66626803

Look at this post.

The Wire literally has the worst fanbase ever.

They are our equivalent of braindead Evangelion fanboys on /a/.
>>
>>66626907
back to your containment board weeb faggot.
>>
It's an unpopular opinion, but Bunk is the best character.
>>
>>66627088
SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIT XD
>>
>>66626907

Look at this post.

There is literally no rebuttal at all.

This is our equivalent of r***** on /tv/. I wish he would go back.
>>
>>66627154
Actually reddit posters are the only fans of The Wire here.
>>
>>66627114
I live somewhere there are no niggers
Do black people genuinely do shit like this? Because it felt incredibly forced and annoying as hell.
>>
>>66627088
Fuck
>>
can all the redditors who watch this trash show go back to r/thewire or watever its called?

thanks
>>
>>66624300
>implying people aren't this petty irl
>>
>>66627464
No, reddit likes anything that is popular.
The true sign of reddit is the inability to articulate yours beliefs and refute arguments in a semi-intelligent manner. All they do is circlejerk, meme, and deflect.

And that describes your response to a tee. That site has robbed you of your ability to think critically.
>>
only hipsters and wiggers think this show is realistic
>>
>>66627631
Leftist friendly, highly acclaimed by mainstream critics. It's the quinessential "lesser known should people SHOULD be watching" which is a reddit/fedora genre unto itself.
>>
>>66626724
D'Angelo had good in him? How?
>>
>>66627681
>Leftist friendly
my parents are Reagan Republicans who never miss church and think Black Lives Matters protesters are all thugs who deserve getting shot. They still loved The Wire. I watched the episode where Prop Joe died with her and she actually cried. Over a drug dealer getting murdered.

Where did this /pol/ fantasy that being on the right meant being racist come from?
>>
>>66627681
they hopped onto it years after it entered that categorization, when it was considered well-known to the point of it being referenced in shit like family guy and even childrens' tv shows.
>>
>>66627797
Sorry to break it to you. Your mother was a niggerlover and your father liked to watch her fuk niggers because he was a cuckold
>>
>I don't care if they were speaking Mandarin Chinese with a cocksucker's lisp!

What did he mean by this?
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.