[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he, dare I say it, overrated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5
File: Miyazaki.jpg (87 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Miyazaki.jpg
87 KB, 600x400
Is he, dare I say it, overrated?
>>
He's a pedophile
confirmed by his friends too
>>
How can people say that after watching Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke?

His other filmes are meh, but these two ones are absolute masterpieces
>>
>>66620249
Way to answer the question
>>
>>66620249
Everyone in Hollywood is a paedophile
>>
>>66620249
Aren't like 40% of Japs pedos?
>>
>>66620213
Is he, dare I say it, not video games?
>>
>>66620213
was the Walking Castle (or whatever it's called) his? i fucking loved that movie
i'd say his movies are a complete magical experience if you're a kid, and Totoro is extremely overrated
>>
>>66620342
This is /tv/, dumbfuck
>>
>>66620342
Oh whoops, wrong board. Sorry folks, continue.
>>
>>66620213
no

he and Tezuka are the Japanese Disneys
>>
File: the_bureau.png (246 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
the_bureau.png
246 KB, 1600x1200
Yes. He didn't even make the best Ghibli film.
>>
>>66620384
Howl's moving castle, excellent taste.
>>
He might have some silly fanboys I guess, maybe people who only know one or two of his movies or something, but I guess most people would agree with:

>>66620286
>His other filmes are meh, but these two ones are absolute masterpieces

Two masterpieces, rest meh.
>>
>>66620427
isn't disney, dare i say it, overrated?
>>
>>66620391
Yeah, made the mistake of leaving Clover open and forgetting about it. Then refreshing the board thinking it was /v/.
I fucked up.
>>
>>66620213
Possibly. I find most of his films have painfully underdeveloped stories and I don't care about how cute or quaint the ideas he conjures up are if there's isn't a decent story attached
>>
>>66620428
holy shit, when that flick came out, I went to see it with my first and last gf, it was comfy...
>>
He is probably the best in the Anime industry but most of his films are good but not great.
On a world stage he is pretty meh.

/a/ only rates some of his stuff even though he is one of them.
>>
>>66620384
Moving Castle and Spirited Away were undeniably based.

But are two good films enough to merit his position as the biggest name in animu?
>>
>>66620213

hell be fine
>>
>>66620213
>I don't know if something is overrated I need /tv/ to tell me
>>
>>66620449
I honestly haven't seen a single Miyazaki movie that I thought was "meh". Every single one of them ranged from pretty good to excellent. I guess when you have created masterpieces, people will judge your work way harsher than that of others.

Like, if Makoto Shinkai would have created any one of Miyazaki's movies most people consider to be mediocre, it would be hailed as one of the greatest non-ghibli japanese animated movies ever.
>>
>>66620460
he's rated as the greatest animated children's film maker

can you name someone better?
>>
>>66620384
i watched spirited away when i was a kid, and i had so many unknown feelings.
i'm pretty sure that felt like my first orgasm
>>
>>66620342
???
>>
he is pleb hogwash
also please keep your thread on /wsr/ or /a/, /v/
>>
anime was a mistake
>>
>>66620661
Are you retarded?
>>
>>66620249
Source?
>>
>>66620682
>You can't talk about movies and filmmakers on /tv/

Ok buddy
>>
>>66620384
I remember watching Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle as a kid, both were fucking magical. His movies are mostly for children but that doesn't stop them from being masterpieces. Princess Mononoke is amazing aswell.
>>
>>66620776
he makes cartoons
which go on /co/ or /a/(or /b/ if /a/ makes you upset)

also if you want to really get down to it he makes movies
the board is titled: television & FILM not television & MOVIES or television & _ makes me insecure so i think i can't post it here

if we go based on how you see things then /sp/ should be making ESPN threads here as not only is it on television it's run by disney

thank you for reading and i hope your journey to /wsr/ is fun
>>
>>66620213
his best film, warriors of the wind was made without studio ghibli, he should go back to doing it the old way
>>
>>66620896
trying too hard there, underage
>>
>>66620896
you sound slightly retarded. Did you actually take this whole "movies aren't films and flicks aren't movies and movies aren't cinema" meme seriously?
>>
Definitely above average by anime standards, but he's not as good as some people make him out to be. Plenty of American and French animators are just as good or better.
>>
>>66620975
you say it's a meme yet scholars, directors artists, and actors say its a real thing.

who do we believe? a troglodyte that calls everything a "meme" or them?
>>
>>66621043
please stop, i'm starting to pity you
>>
>>66620542
>But are two good films enough to merit his position as the biggest name in animu?
Multiple films are , being the only person to get an oscar for anime is reason too as well.

His movies are watch all over the world and one of the few socially accepted Anime since Anime is still a niche in the west and Japan, hated in Japan too.
>>
>>66621043
also pls note i'm not trying to be mean to you

if it was them saying no there isn't and /tv/ was saying there is then i would still pick them
>>
>>66621157
>one of the few socially accepted Anime
that's a pretty good point
>>
>>66621153
please answer the question
who do we believe?
>>
File: images-35.jpg (31 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images-35.jpg
31 KB, 443x332
>all these plebs talking about Bowel's Moving Castle and fucking Spirited A-gay instead of Miyazaki's true masterpiece

both the movies I mentioned were also great. My second favourite after Nausicaa was Castle in the Sky though.
>>
>>66621784
Problem with the movie is that it pales compared to the manga
>>
The Wind Rises was a great movie
>>
>>66621784
I hope you're talking about the Nauusica manga and not the movie.
>>
>>66621850
>>66621833
What's wrong with the movie bros? I haven't read the manga but I've seen the movie at least 3 or 4 times and I always enjoy it enough to want to watch it again.
>>
>>66621937
Nothing wrong with it except that it's a condensed version of the first quarter of the manga. Pretty much the exact same deal as with Akira movie vs manga
>>
>>66621937
The movie is a butchered version of the manga, if you really liked it so much you should read it, it will blown your mind away.
>>
>>66622069
>The movie is a butchered version of the manga

No, it's the same deal as with Akira. It's less that Miyazaki made a subpar adaption of his own work than his own work not being finished when they got the opportunity to make the film.
Film was made in 1984. Manga ran from 1982 to 1994.
>>
Really, no.
>>
>>66620213
Yes in the film world, no in the animation world. He is one of the best animation director but isn't one of the best film directors.
>>
>>66620286
What about Graveyard of the Fireflies or Porco Rosso?
>>
>>66622397
Isao Takahata, different guy.

That said, Princess Mononoke, if you can get the amazing subbed version vs the meh dubbed version, is amazing.

Like, seriously, it's fantastic.
>>
>>66622397
>Graveyard of the Fireflies

Not Miyazaki, not really good either. Takahata made better films.
>>
>>66622717
Aside from Gillian calling it in I don't remember the dubs being bad, but it's been a while.
>>
>>66622773
Ehhhh....

Some of the voice actors are really good for it, to be fair. I throughly enjoyed Billy Bob Thornton as Jigo, and John DiMaggio as Gonza was pretty glorious. But Claire Danes and Billy Crudup were only passable, and they played the two leads.

A bunch of the side characters are pretty poorly voiced as well. There's just a lack of passion behind some of the lines, which really stands out in a movie about war where most of the bit parts end with actors dying. It really takes you out of the film when instead of screaming bloody murder at their arm getting blown off, some of the characters actually sound bored or uninterested.
>>
gonna watch Whisper of the Heart sub
what should i expect
>>
>>66620213
are you, dare i say it, a faggot?
>>
>>66623102

A great flick. The guy who directed it was meant to be the new head of studio Ghibli but he died shortly after making the movie because he worked too much.

Really sad.
>>
>>66623102
It's slow, and quiet, and not very challenging intellectually. A lot of people feel dispapointed going into it for that reason: they watch all the other Studio Ghibli films and expect it to have some massively important social statement of deep meaning or symbolism, or some violence and explosions, or at least something extremely imaginative.

No, it's just a nice, well animated and acted love story/slice of life. There's a sort of a moral, but it's nowhere near as apparent as in other Ghibli works, and it's not that heavily pushed.

Supreme-tier comfeycore. I'm not promising you'll love it, as it is slow and there is no sort of deepness to it. It's just very, very well done as vanilla love stories go.

Think From Up on Poppy Hill, Kiki's Delivery Service or When Marnie was There for comparison. Just nice, happy films that make you feel all warm and cozy inside.
>>
>>66623409
wow, pretty much exactly what i was looking for. thanks dude

>>66623228
:(
>>
>>66620213
how can someone who animates so beautifully ever be over-rated?
>>
>>66620586
Totoro is pretty meh

Nausicaa is almost bad
>>
>>66620428
>not Pom Poko
>>
>>66620213
He tries too hard to be "whimsical" and it fucking pisses me off whenever I see his tripe.
>>
File: 1358424135309.jpg (20 KB, 234x264) Image search: [Google]
1358424135309.jpg
20 KB, 234x264
>>66624208
you're MOM is pretty meh!

yeah I went there
>>
He's constrained by the idea that animation should necessarily be a family thing, which is why Mononoke is his best film, because it's more about showing consequences rather than trying to teach morals to the viewer.
>>
>>66620249
>>66620313
I want brits to leave
>>
>>66620213
Only because most of the competition is that bad. You can count the masterpieces of Japanese Animated Film on two hands
>>
If Miyazaki hates otaku so much, how come he's buddies with Anno?
>>
>>66622192

Nope, multiple things are changed like Kushana's character being pretty shitty in the movie and her father being killed.
>>
Pedoshit eye candy movies copying walt disney was a mistake ~weebs
>>
>>66624208
What do you have against Nausicaa? It got a lil too preachy at the end but the overall quality of the art and design more than made up for it. Not my favorite ghibli but the jungle sequences were fucking incredible tbqh
>>
>>66625910
>overall quality of the art

In technical ability, it's great for its time. It just doesn't leave much of an impression or have much import that isn't immediately spelled out for you. The spectacle is nice. Compare its imagery to what's in Angel's Egg, which came out a year later.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.