[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just a reminder that Gravity won the 2013 Academy Award for cinematography,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: stoker.jpg (183 KB, 510x756) Image search: [Google]
stoker.jpg
183 KB, 510x756
Just a reminder that Gravity won the 2013 Academy Award for cinematography, instead of Stoker.
>>
>>66613147
And it was deserved.
>>
>>66613147
That movie was awful and exposed Chanwook Park as the garbage hack he is. More foreign directors should make a movie in English so everyone could see if they're actually good or just hiding behind their native tongue. I imagine if Almodovar made an English film he'd have the same results.
>>
>>66613147
Stoker was cool. That shower masturbation scene snuck the fuck up on us though so it was all the weirder.
>>
>>66613147
Didn't see Gravity but Stoker was beautiful.
>>
>>66613231
you're an idiot if you think it's this simple.
>>
>>66613147
Yes because it was better.
>>
>>66613318
How about Jon Ho Bong? Everyone was so excited about this guy. Then he made Snowpiercer. Exposed.
>>
>>66613367
Reminder before the plebs start spouting stuff about wineburger ruining that movie

He didn't get what he wanted(the whole cutting down the film) so instead he gave it a very limited release
>>
>>66613367
>implying snowpiercer is bad
Either way, his Korean movies are good. I liked The Host and Memories of Murder.
>>
>>66613367
you're an idiot for thinking that the only difference between making movies in korea / usa is language. there are a lot of cultural differences the director has to deal with and that take time to get used to.

also, Stoker is still regarded as a pretty good film, right? and Snowpiercer is one of the most beloved sci-fi films of recent years, isn't it?
>>
File: Roger Deakins.jpg (131 KB, 631x888) Image search: [Google]
Roger Deakins.jpg
131 KB, 631x888
>>66613147
Another year Roger Deakins lost again. Disgraceful.
>>
>>66613459
Snowpiercer is shit and The Host was even worse, literally responsible for
>MUH BOW AND ARROW
with chicks. If I could erase that movie from existence I would in a heartbeat. And Memories of Murder was a boring procedural with paper-thin characters and LE EPIC ENDING. I'd rather watch The Chaser again.
>>
>>66613471
>also, Stoker is still regarded as a pretty good film, right? and Snowpiercer is one of the most beloved sci-fi films of recent years, isn't it?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA god damn you have shit taste. Where did you get that? imdb? Letterboxd?
>muh cultural differences
Then why is Stoker basically Lady Vengeance with an English speaking cast? Why was Oldboy able to be remade 1:1 with nothing lost in translation? Answer: They are simplistic genre films that any music video director can handle with competence.
>>
>>66613596
>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA god damn you have shit taste
i won't even get mad at you because I know better, pleb
>>
File: bush laughing.jpg (18 KB, 232x273) Image search: [Google]
bush laughing.jpg
18 KB, 232x273
>>66613697
>because I know bette
>Coming from the guy who defends BABIES TASTE BEST
You're killing me.
>>
>>66613528
At this rate he'll probably beat the record of nominations without a win.
>>
>>66613147
simply because Mia has huge feet
>>
File: 1308707514985.jpg (83 KB, 408x383) Image search: [Google]
1308707514985.jpg
83 KB, 408x383
>>66613596
>Then why is Stoker basically Lady Vengeance with an English speaking cast?

This is retarded. I liked the film but I can understand why people don't like it. But saying it's basically Lady Vengeance is fucking retarded.
>>
mia a cute
>>
>>66613147
Pretty underappreciated film. Pretty good for first foreign-language film.
>>
>>66613596
Oh, yeah, the Oldboy remake is a thing. How was it? Was it really exactly like the original?
>>
File: 1370814872145.gif (3 MB, 360x272) Image search: [Google]
1370814872145.gif
3 MB, 360x272
>>66613797
nah

>>66613882
>>
>>66613998
Exactly like it.
>>
>>66613998
It does some stuff better
>>
>>66613999
Mia should be Molly Millions in a Neuromancer movie
>>
>>66613718

Fucking kek
>>
>>66613231
it was shit, because he didn't write the script
>>
>>66615151

Directing is god-tier tho
>>
>>66615151
good point. I guess that's what happens when it's written by a faggot.
>>
Anyone else love Chan-wook generally but thought Stoker was one of the shittiest things they've ever seen? I couldn't believe how bad it was.
>>
>>66616012
Why? It was still a very nicely shot and pretty clever film with compelling characters. I'd even say it's also pretty erotic, even without much nudity. It's true though, I didn't like it as much as his others but that might also be because of my expectations. Of course this is completely different from his other films and more of a group effort than a Chaan-wook film. He didn't even write it, did he? Also, isn't it essentially a remake of a Hitchcock film as well as handled by a major studio? That puts all kinds of different constraints on the film making process, guiding it in different directions.
>>
>talking about directors

Anyhow. Lubezki did deserve the award that year. And the following years.
And for that specific year, Roger Deakins (>>66613528) when asked if there was something he watched and wished he could have done that, said " I’m in awe of the technical prowess. His work on Gravity, in particular, the mix of the technology with the artistry — I admire his control."
>>
>>66616251

You know right off the bat what happens from how telegraphed everything is, the performances were bad, and the little CGI the film had looked like complete shit. It was shot well, sure, but I felt like that was all it had going for it.
>>
>>66616480
Okay. Didn't watch it in a few months so I'm not sure anymore. What I think it had going for it was that it's a beautiful coming of age story about the girl discovering her sexuality and it has all these nice little sexual metaphors. Plus I think it's good from a psychological perspective, about how traumatic events shape families and how mental illnesses form in a field of tension between environmental and diathesis. The uncle's performance was also pretty good I think. Didn't care for Nicole Kidman though.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.