[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oscars Brings in Third-Lowest Viewership in History
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9
> The show averaged 34.3 million viewers on Sunday night, according to ABC.
>This would give the awards the smallest audience since 2008 when Jon Stewart hosted and "No Country For Old Men" won Best Picture with just over 32 million viewers, and 2003 when "Chicago" was the top movie and the show drew 33 million, according to Nielsen data.
>The ratings for the three and a half hour broadcast on Sunday night was also down 6% from last year's 36.6 million viewers.
http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/29/media/oscars-ratings-academy-awards/index.html?sr=twcnni022916oscars-ratings-academy-award

How did Chris Rock fuck up so badly? They had the biggest advertising campaign for months in advance.
>>
Regular people don't watch it because it's a progressive circlejerk, and progressives didn't watch it because muh lack of diversity.
>>
>Watch a show about awards for movie, of which I saw three or less
>>
all television shit is down except for NFL

no one watches TV anymore

/pol/tards will make it about being liberal like this retard
>>66595672

and SJWs will make it about not being diverse or inclusive enough when really, it's more like TV is fucking dead

still the oscars still generate enough second hand buzz on the internet that it's still the second most relevant event besides the NFL playoffs
>>
They should get Ricky to host
>>
It wasn't Chris Rock. it was muh poor back lives

I don't need to be preached too. your religion, your liberal, your fox news, your huffington post, your parental shit. I don't fucking care people. so I don't watch. It's pretty simple
>>
>>66595631
DOUCHEBAGS celebrating DOUCHEBAGS for playing make believe....gee, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to tune in to that...

Fuck Hollywood and their pretentious faggotry.
>>
WHITE PEOPLE, AMIRITE?
>>
File: outoftouch.png (470 KB, 1020x888) Image search: [Google]
outoftouch.png
470 KB, 1020x888
I'm glad the old white folks start to realize that the gig is up.
Seriously white people shit like the Revenant and Spotlight, no one watches this shit anymore.
The highest grossing movie was Star Wars which featured a black male and Idris Elba, MIchael B. Jordan and Straight Outta Compton were snubbed.
At this point the oscars are a joke and even the MTV movie awards are taken more seriously.
>>
People care more about TV shows now. Hollywood is dead.
>>
you know it's shit when the all the nominees had to submit a list of the people they will thank so it can be put in a ticker in case they won
>>
That that cunt in the hat. Hardy or Sly should have won
>>
>>66595919
How is that reflective of the quality?
>>
>>66595945
its an award show where winners are supposed be acknowledged not pushed out for 30 seconds to Ride of the Valkyries
>>
between this and gods of egypt you think jews will be more inclusive to black people?
>>
>tfw more people are starting to hate hollywood

Feels good
>>
>>66596055
>be more inclusive to black people

Wasn't that the point of hiring Chris Rock?
>>
I'm just glad based Rylance won
>>
>>66596004
50 seconds is enough for an acceptance speech, no need to thank your dog and your wife's son
>>
File: 1433314458864.png (28 KB, 500x223) Image search: [Google]
1433314458864.png
28 KB, 500x223
>>66595631
Based Mark Rylance.
>>
I didn't even see it. Did Chris Rock just complain how horribly black people are being treated, while hosting one of the most prominent TV events of the year?
>>
Chris Rock didn't fuck it up. People just don't care.
>>
this oscars killed a meme
>>
>>66596195
it was also boycotted by lots of irrational SJWs cuz "muh diversity"

They don't even want diversity, they want more black people, no one gave a fuck about asians and fought for their inclusion, for example
>>
>>329348560
>Defensive.
>Synthesis, Reflect, Light Screen, Status moves, they're all for players who like to play it saf
>>
>>66596225
Duh. Blacks don't think about other people. Only themselves.
>>
I BELIEEEEEEEEEVE THERE'S A MARTIAN

SITTING ON TOP OF THE WORLD
>>
How old m8 got his Oscar.
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 900x600
>>66595631
>tune into movie award show
>its a 3 hour liberal circle jerk abiut blacklivesmatter

Yeah. You mean the viewers drastically dropped off as the night went on? No way
>>
It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Oscars themselves, and EVERYTHING to do with the presidential election.

The election has dominated the news cycle for the past four months. Election election election is all that's been on the news and Internet, and that means that instead of drumming up hype for the Oscars, people's attention went to politics.
>>
>>66596259
DELETE THIS
>>
Because I don't want to hear millionaires complain about stupid shit after they all have a circlejerk and patting themselves on the back.
I don't want to hear an actor or actress talk about income inequality after they got millions of dollars for being literate and got a "gift bag" that's higher then most people annual income.
>>
Serialized television is now the main cultural visual medium. Film is dying a slow death. It's no wonder fewer people care.
>>
>>66595754

>Didn't even mention liberals
>liberals and progressives are the same thing

good post, anon
>>
>>66596344
you're being awfully glib

you guys who blame it on it being a liberal/progressive circlejerk are as bad as this guy

>>66595832
>>
File: cr.jpg (84 KB, 1600x668) Image search: [Google]
cr.jpg
84 KB, 1600x668
>commercial ends
>"Welcome black!"
>>
who knew millions of people wouldn't want to sit for several hours listening to chris rock making racist comments...
>>
>>66595631

still shaking from disgust and anger when I remember this year's oscars. fuck the people that inserted their political agenda in an award show. why the fuck do I want to watch about blm, rape bs and all that shit in an award show? and why do the always blame whites? why do they keep poking us? fuck I just want to shoot the one that instigated this
>>
If NPH doesn't host, I don't watch
>>
>>66596494
trying too hard for replies anon, next time be more subtle
>>
>>66595631
what a joke. Rylance is pretty decent, but those other three are *mediocre*. The oscars are such a joke. same in every category.
>>
>>66596573

not really fishing for replies, just saying i'm pissed that people had to inject all this pc issue in an awards show AND they always blame whites
>>
>movies that no one watched
>self serving celebrities no one likes
>top it all off with race jokes and humour

It was bound to happen.
>>
The Oscars always contain some kind of obnoxious social or political commentary. This shit never cease to annoy people, but we usually don't know what the flavor-of-the-month cause is going to be before the ceremony. This year we knew what the shit was going to be months before the show aired. So every not retarded person knew to not watch it.
>>
>>66596427
blacks can't be racist stupid
>>
>>66595631
>Black SJW will claim their boycott worked
>>
>>66596121
He also shilled his daughter's girl scout cookies and made "Asian people be all like work 25 hours or ur fired"
>>
>>66596055
>egypt
WE WAZ KANGZ
>>
Did any of you retards actually watch? Rock shit on BLM the entire show. Fuck off with your victim complex.
>>
>mfw I only watched the Leo part and the supporting actor stuff (hoping for the big guy to win)
>knew they were coming up thanks to /tv/
>immediately changed the channel when they were done
>>
File: Not amused.png (1 MB, 1447x1080) Image search: [Google]
Not amused.png
1 MB, 1447x1080
>>66596055
>tfw the "Egyptians were black" narrative will eventually become mainstream
>tfw Egyptian Copts today look pretty much like Egyptians did 4,000 years ago.
>>
>>66596891

>Rock shit on BLM the entire show

Fuck you goldstein you're not tricking me this time
>>
>>66596674
>>movies that no one watched

>The combined gross of the eight Best Picture nominees at the United States and Canadian box offices was $782.5 million, at an average of $97.8 million which is the sixth-highest of all time in the past 33 years.[43][44]
>>
>>66597059
He literally opened the show by saying if you have time to boycott the oscars you don't have enough to worry about in life. Then he shit on both Jada and Will Smith among others.
>>
>>66595631
I didn't read your post but the jews
>>
>>66597174
The Smith's are barely black at this point. They are crazy scientologists
>>
>>66597174
Not him, didn't watch it either, so why was there also a "#rape" awareness thing in the show that probably didn't need to be there?

Also, that university "documentary" that came out early 2015 that got controversal because the "director" of the "documentary" kept editing his page and the "film" page on Wikipedia, and his "documentary" was full of bullshit sources/percentages. It was relating to Universities and rape. Shilled hard on CNN.

Fuck the Oscars. Liberal circlejerk.
>>
>>66597137
But the majority of those were capeshit, popcorn flicks or kids movies.

True film is dead.
>>
>focus entirely on race
>nothing else was actually funny, except ali g skit which wasn't even sanction.
>too serious

People don't actually care about the awards. they come to see the celebs do funny things. This offered none of that
>>
>>66595804
Just what the Oscars needs, an edgelord atheist hosting
>>
>>66597256
"True films" are never box office successes, you tard
>>
>>66597308
>I've never seen Ricky at the Golden Globes
>>
>>66595631
Oscars have been going down steadily and most of the movies nominated were not ones the general public saw. Had nothing to do with Chris Rock or muh black ppl boycott.
>>
>>66597244
That was cringey but it was like 8 minutes of a 4 hour show.

Rock also brought out based Stacy Dash and showed how out of touch black movie-goers are at the Compton theater, Ali G BTFO sensitive libs and they did those jokey 'what if blacks were in famous movies' bit that was pretty funny. It was a pretty balanced show.
>>
>>66597256
Mods we've got an underage here
>>
>>66597353
>8 minutes
If I was watching I would've turned it off there. There's no reason to have something like this in an award ceremony.

Rapes are at an all time low. University rapes are at all all time low. That documentary was a sham and a kneejerk. Every university is forced to hire a fucking liberal or woman to fill their Title IX supervisor position.

It
Was
Not
Needed

Liberals need something always to fucking bitch about.
>>
>>66597316
That's not even remotely true.
>>
>>66595631
Holy shit

Open the thumbnail
Press your face and look closely at Brie's dress
>>
>>66597423
Give some examples then.
>>
>>66597462
Just look back at past best film nominees and winners; they used to be legitimate cultural touchstones and more often than not box office successes.

Over the past decade or so, as media has splintered and storytellers have migrated to television, movies have become less and less relevant.
>>
>>66597556
Lets not even mention how the editing and pacing of modern films are aimed for people suffering with ADD.

Like, lets have more than 1-2 second quickcuts, please. My brain can only handle so much.

I blame the Bourne series for starting it all. I don't know who else to blame.
>>
>>66597556
I don't get what any of that has to with the film's quality anyways. Are you suggesting popularity equals artistic merit? Is Star Wars considered art now?
>>
Wow you mean to tell me that nobody wanted to watch pandering to niggers for hours on end? Especially when niggers don't watch that shit? Wow
>>
File: Kek.gif (4 MB, 382x162) Image search: [Google]
Kek.gif
4 MB, 382x162
>>66595631
Was it Sarah Silverman who said that 80 million people were watching.

Top kek
>>
>>66598539
She just threw out a number because she was bombing.
>>
>>66595919
You know whats rich, they did that shit and they still went over by almost an hour
>>
>>66597137
>combining 8 shit movies is still can't compete with fast and the furious 7

How embarrassing.
>>
>>66597137
Literally all 98% of that income is The Martian and it didn't win shit
>>
>>66595754
It has nothing to do with /pol/

I don't want to sit through hours of speeches about politics or social issues, regardless of their stance on it. It's even worse that they actually preach like we are stupid idiots who can't make our minds up without their benevolent guidance. The oscars are about film, the speeches should be about that.
>>
>>66596891
He took one jab at BLM at the start, then spend the rest of his time talking about blacks this blacks that.

I mean the "joke" about rocky being fantasy because a white man is good at sport... What the fuck was that?
>>
>>66597308
Ricky's twitter shit and his comedy are actually very different. He almost never touches on religion in his podcasts, the office, extras or the golden globes.

Ricky hosting would basically turn it into a giant roast, which is exactly what the oscars needs, a reality check.
>>
>>66595631
Considering the state of modern TV and movies, I'm not surprised at the low numbers. Everything sucks. I'm surprised anyone watched it at all.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.