[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>better than vikings and got >no one has heard of it >no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: Lmn-S4N8juQ.market_maxres.jpg (174 KB, 1264x711) Image search: [Google]
Lmn-S4N8juQ.market_maxres.jpg
174 KB, 1264x711
>better than vikings and got
>no one has heard of it
>no one has watched it

literally rigged
>>
>>66568401

>better than vikings and got

my sides. you simpletons will suck the cocks of anything as long as it's new, won't you? because that's literally the only thing the show has going for it. the show's in my roster because i love that era but it's done nothing to set itself apart in a meaningful way.
>>
>destiny
>not all

has really no one watched it?
>>
>>66568497
Well, so far its better than vikings season 1 and the latest season of got for sure (minus hardhome)
>>
>>66568401
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCJUDdEirco
>>
>>66568497
do you know any more shows set in a similar setting?

i think i watched them already

pillars of the earth is decent too
>>
Yeah I just watched it, its pretty good, even though I haven't read them you can tell they had to cut out large portions from the book series its based on.

>suddenly in love with pagan queen woman
>fucks pagan queen woman after the scene of him finding his dead son
>>
File: 1350338009300.jpg (19 KB, 388x492) Image search: [Google]
1350338009300.jpg
19 KB, 388x492
>>66568553
>THAT LEAF IS WRONG
chuckled

>>66568565
bump
>>
I like both TLK and Vikings.

Deal.
>>
Good show. Can't wait for season 2. But the first couple of episodes were very rushed. I didn't even read the books but I knew they were very rushed. Once it got to the 3rd ep the story started to get really good. Plus the guy that kept shouting tits tits tits was awesome.
>>
>>66568401
It's preddy gud senpai desu.

Season 1 is actually historically accurate. The lead is fictional but many of the characters existed, like King Alfred and the viking leaders. The battles and their outcomes are also reasonably accurate.

Not on the scale of GoT but worth watching.
>>
>>66568822
It really got better after brita fucked off.
>>
>>66568553
Actually wanted to start watching last kingdom, but some of that stuff is ridiculous.
>>
>>66568758
y-y-you can't do that
>>
>>66568908
>too much mud on muh shield
he's painfully pedantic and over the top. i think he's trying to be funny
>>
>>66568908
You wouldn't have noticed any of it if not for the video, though.
>>
the sons of ragnar lothbrok are the leaders of the viking army in the last kingdom so it's fitting to watch it if you've seen vikings, or the other way around

where the last kingdom is historically inaccurate because like this guy says

>>66568553

"those chickens didn't exist in that time period"
"saxons didnt have square shields"
etc

at least the characters and the battles are somewhat accurate as opposed to vikings where rollo is ragnars homeboy and they all take part in raids that were almost a 100 years apart

overall pretty good. would recommend. if you're a history nerd you might get triggered
>>
>>66568908
>muh leather armour muh back scabbard

Its a fucking fictional show, if you cant accept that then you are autistic.
>>
>>66568970
the guy in the video was just being a cunt. that part of history is so obscure anyway. the vikings couldn't read or write, they recorded NOTHING of their own history. all we got were some scrolls written by the english
>>
>>66568951
>>66568969
I said "some" of the things. Of course I don't care about the mud, but the Larp armours and come on, burning trees?

>>66568975
Why choose a historical setting for a "fictional" show? They could at least have made it somewhat historically accurate.
>>
>>66569059
you haven't seen it. you've seen a self-important britbong's video covering the pilot ep, which isn't even that good. anyway your loss
>>
>>66569106
True, I guess I'll stick with the books then.
>>
>>66569059
Nothing can ever be 100% historically accurate no matter how hard they try, 1) It would cost way too much for little gain, since 99.9% of the viewers are not going to be experts in Anglo-Saxon Britain and 2) Its impossible to be 100% historically accurate when representing a period of history we know so little about.

Things like the armour, shields and locales are done to be aesthetically pleasing rather than historically accurate, its a TV show designed to make money after all.

I will admit the sword on the back annoyed me a bit though.
>>
>>66569148
but what if someone analyzes the books and they are historically inaccurate as well?
>>
>>66569163
They aren't though. Completely based on the Anglo-Saxon chronicles and overlooked by various historians. That's why I don't understand why it's so hard to at least avoid obvious mistakes in the show. I know I'm being autistic right now, but there's just no reason to at least try.
>>
>>66569148
>Bernard Cornwell
>historically accurate

He's a good writer but come the fuck on, literally every single historical fiction writer takes extreme leeway when writing their stories. The only exception was Steven Pressfield.
>>
>>66569156
Also there's no way in hell vikings shaved the sides of their heads. But snot-nosed millenials think it's cool so why not put this fashion crime in!
>>
>>66568835
>SQUARE SHIELDS
>MEME SHIELDWALLS
>EVERYONE IS DIRTPOOR AND COVERED IN DIRT
Kill yourself knave
>>
>>66569292
fuck off memer
>>
>>66569219
You are right, but he took great care in keeping everything within the possibilities of what might have happened. Of course it's not a hundred percent accurate, but it is within the boundaries of historical accuracy. Have you read the appendices of the books? He describes it very well.
>>
>>66569298
Besides the crap detail to history both this shit and Vikings are pure crap that only kids enjoy thanks to pointless sex and xtreme violence.
>>
>>66569320
You type like a 12 year old, fuck off.
>>
>>66569292
>what is context
that's because the 'kingdom' in the pilot episode was literally one town. they were basically a bunch peasants defending from the vikings
>>
File: il_570xN.712265798_pcbx.jpg (62 KB, 570x431) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.712265798_pcbx.jpg
62 KB, 570x431
>>66569265

how the fuck would you know

how in the actual fuck would you know

it's a common myth that vikings were hygieneless barbarians. they've found combs in viking graves, pic very much related
>>
>>66569320
>that only kids enjoy thanks to pointless sex and xtreme violence.
this shows you never watched the show desu.
>>
>>66569337
Fucking counter my arguments you lackwit child.
>>
>>66569374
your arguments are hard to counter because there is no excessive violence/nudity in this show

perhaps you're mistaking it with spartacus or game of thrones.
>>
>>66569364
and how the fuck do you know that in year 860 they dug the same stupid fashion trend as we do in 2016?

also shaving a head is pretty difficult when all you have is a sharp blade
>>
>>66569395
>A TV poster actually wrecks you
I haven't watched it but people constantly compare it to GoT and Vikings so I believed they were similiar.
>>
>>66569374
There is no excessive violence and nudity in Vikings, so there, your argument is refuted, you would have know this if you had watched the show.

Try complaining about something actually worth complaining about like all the female warriors in the show.
>>
>>66569426
its ok anon, just watch it

its good
>>
>>66569454
I thought shieldmaidens were a real thing, though?
>>
Looks good. I'll start watching
>>
https://vimeo.com/141540968

the opening sequence is bretty gud too
>>
File: fedora.jpg (6 KB, 184x275) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
6 KB, 184x275
>>66569374
>i haven't lost a single internet argument yet, fight me
>>
It's not better than Vikings, but it is good.
>>
>>66569017
That's not true, they had their own runic alphabet, they also passed down oral histories which were written down by the end of the Viking age, especially in Iceland.
>>
>>66569421
So egyptians, cossacks and everyone in history did not shaved their head at all?
>>
I just miss when historical tv and movies had fucking color in them. all black leather everywhere and blue screen tint for cold gets real old real quick.
>>
>>66569421
no, it really isn't hard at all. moistening the hair with water and dragging the blade along the skin is enough. you do realize straight razors (which is essentially a blade) still exist right?
>>
>>66570188
>cossacks

which is 800 years later
>>
>unironically watching Uhtred "pagan bait better than my mate" of Bebbenburg

S M H F A M
>>
>>66568401

Does it follow historically accurate dresses and armor?
>>
>>66568401
Its OK, its only one season, and that was nice and all, but Vikings and GOT's first seasons were way better.

Also he's a pretty unlikeable character, although I know he'll grow or whatever.
>>
>>66568497
But vikings is so bad that anything done about the same era is at least as good.
>>
>>66568553
>mostly nitpicking
>>
watched it, the last two episodes of season 1 were the nails in the coffin. This shit is so fucking implausible and stupid. Also Uthred is a goddamn retard and can't grow the fuck up, but that's what you get for muh cuming of age
>>
>>66568553
This is great
>>
File: 1456788136245.jpg (210 KB, 1080x1349) Image search: [Google]
1456788136245.jpg
210 KB, 1080x1349
For some reason, fantasy/medieval setting always brings out the worst cliches and kitschy detail. There were many good movies, but as far as tv shows concerned it's m'lady drivel coupled with stick waggling.

I think it's because they try to re-enact medieval romances in a 'gritty' setting so they come off ridiculously unaware of how flimsy it all looks. I think I can only respect what CW is doing because you know their producers are aware what kind of trash they're peddling.

If you want to watch good fantasy/medieval flicks:

Fire and Blood
Floris
Name of the Rose
Highlander (best tribal brawl you'll ever see)
Willow
Black Death was decent up to the end
that pretentious Viking flick with mads
Banovic Strahinja
Seljacka Buna 1573

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS_E2um6suc
>>
>>66568401
>>better than vikings
everything is better than that plebfest
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.