[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
George Lucas vs JK Rowling. Who worse at retconning?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4
George Lucas vs JK Rowling.

Who worse at retconning?
>>
Has Rowling changed or added anything to the HP books?
>>
One is for garbage that killed film as an art form in ameristan
The other is for garbage that ruined childrens literature/young adult books

this doesn't make sense
>>
>>66452171
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1sF9veTzuU

hmmm
>>
>>66452219
Are you joking?

Hermione is black now, Dumbledore is gay and the "T" in Voldemort is actually silent. She's trying to stay relevant since her other books she writes bombs.
>>
>>66452219
Black Hermione
Voldemort being a reincarnation of God Emperor Trump
Wizards are homosexuals
>>
>>66452171
Rowling by far. At least George Lucas had the conviction to actually go back and alter the works into the final product he wanted, whereas Rowling is such a hack she couldn't be bothered to leave Twitter to do it.
>>
File: 1454613474728.png (146 KB, 554x439) Image search: [Google]
1454613474728.png
146 KB, 554x439
>>66452307
>>66452268
Death of the Author my friends

Unless she's actually changed words in the books, or added new passages, why should I give a shit?
>>
>>66452401
Because she's pandering for attention on Twitter. There is nothing worse than that.
>>
File: 0023ae606c3e0f8a428523[1].jpg (52 KB, 420x646) Image search: [Google]
0023ae606c3e0f8a428523[1].jpg
52 KB, 420x646
How hard would you plow this milf?

Be honest.
>>
>>66452171
Lucas is worse at it, but his stories are still overall better
>>
>>66452307
Hermione was played by a black actress in a play that nobody saw that wasn't even about the HP crew.

Who cares?
>>
>>66452446
The force of ten thousand locomotives
>>
>>66452520
apparently everyone
>>
>>66452520
You do you the next Harry Potter book is that play.
>>
>>66452520
Low IQ /v/ posters that are wannabe/pol/
>>
>>66452171
I don't give a shit about any of that. I just to fuck JK Rowling til my dick falls off.
>>
>>66452446

I'd give her 9 3/4 is you know what I mean.
>>
>>66452445
I never even look at twitter, so again why should I care?
>>
>>66452446
only rough anal while she squeals
fuck you JK, HP might not have been fine art, but you're still shit for fucking with it after the fact and sticking with your original shitty ending after the series grew beyond it
>>
>>66452219
it'd be easier to ask what he hasn't changed. dumb fucking cunt needs to get of twitter and stop fucking up my childhood
>>
>>66452219
>>66452401
Outside of /pol/-tier responses (Dumbledore's indeed hinted to be gay for Grindelwald, casting outside of race for plays is nothing new, etc) she did very obviously retcon some things during the last two books. Riddle's diary being a horcrux all along (even when it makes no sense in the context of the rest of horcruxes and what they do) and the Deathly Hallows themselves are the examples I can think of, especially Harry's cape being special and whatnot. The whole wandlore mess veered dangerously into retcon territory as well, although that was more of a "I didn't explain it before, so let me spend fifty pages making up nonsensical shit now".

>>66452268
The t in Voldemort was always silent, learn to French.

I think Lucas is way worse at retconning. Rowling does expand her "Wizarding World" in cringe-inducing ways, and it's especially sad because we all know the only reason she began writing wizarding stuff again is because her other writing ventures didn't stick, but the stuff she adds aren't retcons, is just additional info only tangentially related to the HP story (for questions nobody ever asked, but ok).
>>
File: 1448687926839.jpg (27 KB, 500x429) Image search: [Google]
1448687926839.jpg
27 KB, 500x429
>>66452830
I still invoke Death of the Author

Unless the works themselves are altered, any retconning she does on twitter is inconsequential. I can interpret the books any way I choose
>>
>>66452979
I agree with death of the author, but the Half-Blood Prince/Deathly Hallows retcons are present within the books themselves.

In fact the only explanation for things like the diary being a horcrux are given by the author outside the book, meaning invoking death of the author highlights their failings even more.
>>
>>66452830
>The t in Voldemort was always silent

And yet for the last 15 years she's always pronounced the T in interviews and when reading the book to kids.
>>
The moral of the story is seizure-inducing

>decades of hard-work useless against the "power of friendship"

Labour cunt.
>>
>>66453159
>"power of friendship"
It's power of love, rather. And the moral of the story is that you have to accept your eventual death instead of being a bitch about it.
>>
>>66453045
>but the Half-Blood Prince/Deathly Hallows retcons are present within the books themselves.
Such as? I thought it was cool that Riddle's diary was fleshed out into horcuxes.
>>
>>66453216

>accepting to die when you can be immortal

what sort of cuckery is this?
>>
>>66453218
It was explained and shown that Voldemort chose important wizarding objects to become horcruxes.

The diary was a muggle diary.

Dumbledore skirts around this saying that it showed how Riddle was the heir of Slytherin, and nobody questions this. But it makes no sense, since the diary is blank.

It's also told and shown that Voldemort needs to kill someone to create a horcrux. The story implies that he killed Myrtle for the diary, but this makes no sense because the basilisk killed her.

And we're again told and shown that Voldemort doesn't trust anyone and has no friends etc, yet he leaves his first horcrux with Malfoy? I can sort of buy this, but given the above it doesn't make too much sense, either.

Also no other horcrux whatsoever did any of the crazy bullshit the diary was magically able to do.

I agree it was cool, but made no sense and it created a plot hole in the end (basilisk poison destroys a horcrux, but Harry got it too and his wasn't destroyed).
>>
>>66453288
>being immortal by killing tons of people and becoming a literal monster over dying with dignity
Also the book does present immortality without harming others in good light, the first book literally has Flamel being immortal without having to kill anybody and it's good because, agian, Flamel isn't being a bitch about it.
>>
>>66453124
Well that's her being a retard then, but the t being silent is a good retcon
>>
>>66453216
>accept your eventual death instead of being a lich about it.
>>
>>66453383
Aw hell, mind is blown
>>
>>66453383
>The story implies that he killed Myrtle for the diary, but this makes no sense because the basilisk killed her.

That's like saying Elliot Rodgers never killed anybody, the gun did. He was the master of the basilisk at the time and had ordered it to kill mudbloods like myrtle. He killed myrtle.

>And we're again told and shown that Voldemort doesn't trust anyone and has no friends etc, yet he leaves his first horcrux with Malfoy?

I accept that he had so many horcruxes to spare that he designated his least valueable one (the one made with a common diary, as you pointed out, which was also his first one so it makes sense that he would have used a non-treasure to figure shit out with) to be used offensively rather than defensively. But what I want to know is wtf would have happened if the diary had succeeded and Voldemort had also came back the way he did in GoF. Would the various horcruxes be out to kill each other, or somehow merge? Do Voldemort ever consider that shit?

>I agree it was cool, but made no sense and it created a plot hole in the end (basilisk poison destroys a horcrux, but Harry got it too and his wasn't destroyed).
Cuz he was saved by Dues Ex Dumbledore!
>>
Lucas is just a goofy old man who wanted to fuck with things. Rowling is a braindead leftist cunt who sacrifices her own """""art""""" for the sake of virtue signalling and scoring tumblr points. No discernible talent.
>>
>>66452171
Rowling. At least when Lucas retcons it's because he's retarded and not because he wants SJW brownie points.
>>
>>66452171
J.K. Rowling?
More like M.E. Pounding her ass.
>>
>>66453657
>That's like saying Elliot Rodgers never killed anybody, the gun did. He was the master of the basilisk at the time and had ordered it to kill mudbloods like myrtle. He killed myrtle.
And upon accidentally "killing" her (since he didn't know she was around) he just whipped out his never-before-tested horcrux knowledge and created the horcrux right then on the bathroom? It makes no sense, even if by your logic he did kill her.

Also Riddle absolutely loathed his muggle origin, no way in hell he'd use a muggle artifact. He lived in Hogwarts, any magical thing, even if ordinary by wizarding standards, would be more credible.

By the way, another plot hole/retcon I just remembered: how the hell did Harry BECOME a horcrux to begin with? The books say you have to perform a ritual, and Voldemort pretty much exploded when avada kedavra rebounded on him. There was no time for any of that.

Also why did he (and Harry's house) explode to begin with?

>But what I want to know is wtf would have happened if the diary had succeeded and Voldemort had also came back the way he did in GoF. Would the various horcruxes be out to kill each other, or somehow merge? Do Voldemort ever consider that shit?
Someone asked Rowling about this before the series was done, and all she said was that Voldemort would have become stronger but she couldn't give many details away.

I'm guessing he'd regain his body.
>>
I dont care if Hermione is black in a stage play.
Does that make me such a bad white person?
>>
Hey guys, when does the narwhal bacon?
>>
>>66453885
u wot
>>
>>66453853
>By the way, another plot hole/retcon I just remembered: how the hell did Harry BECOME a horcrux to begin with? The books say you have to perform a ritual, and Voldemort pretty much exploded when avada kedavra rebounded on him. There was no time for any of that.

That's a good one. For a while Rowling was teasing how she'd release the horrifying details of what the horcrux ritual entail. Maybe she never did because she realized it would have made this plot hole all the more gaping.

The weakest shit to me, tho, is the whole concept of wand ownership that she dropped in at the last minute. Harry becomes the master of the elder wand because he disarmed Draco's OTHER wand? Ok Rowling, ok. Even Dumbledore the White was stumbling over himself to explain that one in the end.
>>
>>66454070
She said she'd revealed it in the Harry Potter Encyclopedia, which got scrapped in favor of Pottermore... which then got rebooted into a shitty Buzzfeed knockoff, so who knows if the ritual is ever going to be revealed.

I've seen people fanwank that it just happened because "his soul was too fragile already" or whatever, but then after that he goes on to create a horcrux inside Nagini without any problems, so... yeah.

>The weakest shit to me, tho, is the whole concept of wand ownership that she dropped in at the last minute
That's the absolute lowest point in the entire series. She was clearly pulling stuff out of her ass to justify why Harry would win. Like I said before it's not exactly a retcon, it's just shitty writing. It would have been less embarassing to just go "you're going to win because you're the master of death, now go and revive".
>>
>>66454170
For me the lowest part was the absolute fanfiction that was the epilogue. Can't imagine how cringy the newly announced HP book is going to be if it follows the premises established in that, but I'll end up reading it anyway.
>>
>>66452171

Lucas has been retconning for decades, JK is just getting started. He's sold his rights and now he's out of the SW game.

JK is going to be so much worse
>>
>>66452171
Id gove her the ol fuckeroo if you catch my drift
>>
Rowling's worse cause she panders to her fans too much. Meanwhile George autistically retcons shit and unintentionally pisses everybody off and its funny as fuck every time.
>>
Deathly hallows was a shit book desu

Never even watched the last 3 movies because I hated the last book so much
>>
>>66454457
>newly announced HP book
If it helps it's not even an actual book, it's the script of a play co-written by Rowling which indeed follows the terrible, terrible epilogue. The title character is probably "Albus Severus" (lmao).
>>
I don't care if they suddenly want to change the established races of characters, but just don't go back and say 'well actually we can make them any race we want, it really wasn't established!' when it was. If you want to have a black chick play Hermione, fine. Just when asked why you have a different race playing a role, just say 'we wanted this actor/actress to play this role' and end it there.
>>
>>66452171
To be fair her face would look even better with rivers of my jizz streaming down it.
>>
>>66454585
The deathly hollows movies are pretty good, they cut out a lot of the shitty fluff.

Half blood prince was boring as fuck though, the only interesting part of the story (that is, voldemort's past) was severely trimmed down to make way for shitty teen romance and love triangles that only overweight fangirls care about.
>>
>>66453657
>>66453853
>>66454070
Don't forget that Rowling came out and said/"explained" that Quirrell was a fucking horcrux too.

Wrap your head around that one.
>>
Lucas is worse because he actually went back and changed shit instead of coming up with something "radical" every time the threat of obscurity got to be a little too much like Rowling.
>>
>>66454457
>write epilogue so you don't get tempted into Lucasing your own series
>do it anyways
She had one job
>>
>>66454702
>implying we won't get a 20th anniversary Rowling director's cut of the entire series with black hermione, blonde ron and genderqueer harry
>>
>>66454699
What the fuck? How did she justify that?
>>
>>66452171
Lucas cause SW was actually good.
>>
>>66454751
https://www.pottermore.com/writing-by-jk-rowling/professor-quirrell
>While Quirrell did not lose his soul, he became completely subjugated by Voldemort, who caused a frightful mutation of Quirrell's body: now Voldemort looked out of the back of Quirrell's head and directed his movements, even forcing him to attempt murder. Quirrell tried to put up feeble resistance on occasion, but Voldemort was far too strong for him.

>Quirrell is, in effect, turned into a temporary Horcrux by Voldemort. He is greatly depleted by the physical strain of fighting the far stronger, evil soul inside him.

TL;DR getting possessed by Voldemort is all you need to become a horcrux. No ritual, no murder, guess all the animals Voldemort said he possessed in Albania were horcruxes too. Also suddenly Harry's hands can destroy horcruxes now, God knows how he managed to grab the diary without it burning to ashes.

Yeah, it makes no sense whatsoever. It was one of the very first pottermore retcons, too.
>>
>>66452171
>who worse
take your ebonics elsewhere
>>
>>66453657
>but what I want to know is wtf would have happened if the diary had succeeded and Voldemort had also came back the way he did in GoF. Would the various horcruxes be out to kill each other, or somehow merge? Do Voldemort ever consider that shit?
There was a nice fic about this very problem. It was kind of humorous too iirc (one or two of the horcruxes ended up taking over Trelawney and Kreacher).
>>
>>66454880
>in effect
That means "not really"
Quirrel wasn't a horcrux
Learn to read
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.